The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In this thread I get out of debt. $10K to be exact.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
When you have to contact online gambling sites and tell them to ban you because you can not stop yourself from gambling.

You DO have an addiction. You also have a spending addiction. These can only be truly treated by a professional. The sooner you realize this and get help the sooner you will get on to doing bigger and better things.

BUT then again you are doing well at school and can't discipline yourself with money so perhaps being an employee is a better future for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
BUT then again you are doing well at school and can't discipline yourself with money so perhaps being an employee is a better future for you.

I agree with your entire post except for that part. He's got the discipline to make money, but he's got to learn how to keep and maintain it now. Otherwise, he'll not only never be rich but he'll always be poor, no matter whether employee or business owner. It's not that he can't, it's that he hasn't got it yet. Who at age 20 has the discipline to simply keep $70,000?

Not as if that's an excuse for him. He needs help. But I'm going to say that a future as an employee, for him at least, isn't going to help matters at all.

D

DeletedUser394

When you have to contact online gambling sites and tell them to ban you because you can not stop yourself from gambling.

You DO have an addiction. You also have a spending addiction. These can only be truly treated by a professional. The sooner you realize this and get help the sooner you will get on to doing bigger and better things.

I'm missing the part where I tried to refute this... Of course I do.

D

DeletedUser394

Just to clear something up, I didn't spend any of that $70k, I invested it all into a business, and the business slowly collapsed, due to a variety of reasons, including apathy, other priorities on my part, and lack of proper planning and due diligence.

The debt that I have/had was a result of charging consumer debt on my credit card, and borrowing money from people.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So how are you going to get help with your gambling and spending addictions?

Just to clear something up, I didn't spend any of that $70k, I invested it all into a business, and the business slowly collapsed, due to a variety of reasons, including apathy, other priorities on my part, and lack of proper planning and due diligence.

No offense bro but you gambled it away. Putting $70k into a business you're not even watching is a straight gamble.

Not saying that investing is gambling. But what kind of projections did you have on that money and how could you have validated them?

D

DeletedUser394

So how are you going to get help with your gambling and spending addictions?

Honestly, probably not going to do anything drastic.

I haven't gambled much in quite a while actually, (6 months ago possibly?). Most of the losses accrued about 2 years ago when I drained my savings. Yesterday I decided to log back into one of my accounts, deposited $25, and proceeded to waste the afternoon and blow the money, at which point I finally acknowledged that I don't want to go down that path again and subsequently banned myself from all of the sites in order to eliminate any temptation that I may have in the future to play.

As for the shopping.. not sure. I'll limit myself to spending $100 cash/month on whatever the heck I want. As long as I know I have some money to spend I'm happy with that. It's when I try to spend $0 outside of necessity where things start to go wonky.

Anyway, I'm looking into life coaches/mentors, I could really use a mentor and I'm sure I can give something in return.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Anyway, I'm looking into life coaches/mentors, I could really use a mentor and I'm sure I can give something in return.
So what you're saying is... after blasting me on the college thread cause clearly I have insane ideas... let me make the whole world blind for a sec.

College route:
You're broke.
You're in debt.
All the schooling in the world didn't help you because it's not actually the real world...
And you realize a mentor would be more value than the teachers you're actually paying... or else you wouldn't be getting one...?

My route:
I'm not broke.
I'm not in debt.
All my self education has helped me in the real world because it's practical.
I've had a mentor and rejected the teacher-student model for 3 years.

Call me egotistical, but the advice I offered up (to people heading into the same track as I) works.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
As for the shopping.. not sure. I'll limit myself to spending $100 cash/month on whatever the heck I want. As long as I know I have some money to spend I'm happy with that. It's when I try to spend $0 outside of necessity where things start to go wonky.

Just keep track of your spending meticulously. My bank does that for me, which is nice.

dknise, you're not adding anything to the thread by being all "I told you so". In fact, you're being an a**hole.

That is all.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Well guys, Ryan asked for some time off from the forum. Per his wishes he will be gone until the end of January.

I wish you well Ryan. I hope you get the help you need and you land on your feet.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Well guys, Ryan asked for some time off from the forum. Per his wishes he will be gone until the end of January.

I wish you well Ryan. I hope you get the help you need and you land on your feet.

Ok, thats weird. I don't know if ignoring a resource that has the potential to help him on so many levels is the right decision.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Ok, thats weird. I don't know if ignoring a resource that has the potential to help him on so many levels is the right decision.

This forum is great and one of the most powerful things on the internet but with no disrespect to MJ/Richkid, I don't think the problems he's having have solutions here.

Good luck.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I hope things turn out well for him.

And I second the advice to give counseling/therapy/something like that a shot. Even if it's not the right fit in the end, no one is hurt by sitting down for a few sessions just to see how it goes. If you're in college they may even have somewhere where you can do this for free.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
His main issue seems to be that he lost $70k caused by a poor business decision, not a few bucks he spent here and there to impress girls or buy some shit off ebay. I don't think that a therapist can help him with finding out where his business decision went wrong.

Anyway, hope it turns out well for him..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.