The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is anyone selling outside of US on Amazon? Canada, UK, India? Jump in this thread

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
This is a targeted (selfish) question for those of you selling in external marketplaces on Amazon outside of US. I am looking to expand internationally and Id love to speak to someone that has done this successfully. With the shipping to international warehouses and complications with tax I want to make sure I do it right. To provide value to the forum if you're willing please drop as much info in this thread, otherwise I will create a guide to expansion after I do it.

Let me know!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Since you've had no responses, I'll put some ideas forward.

I know one guy who was a prolific UK Amazon seller (since got suspended), and another who owns a toy distribution company in Liverpool. The latter guy has the following Twitter profile. Quite what they'd be able to do help you, I'm not sure -- but that's the type of guy I'd recommend connecting with.

If you want to export into the UK market, there are a number of things to consider:
  1. The first is that if you will get hit with export/import duty by UK customs, especially if the goods are from the US. This will be payable upon delivery, so you'll need the cash to pay it up front. Whichever freight company you use will not release it from the port until you've paid the bill (which may also include VAT).

2. The second is that UK sales (and EU generally) are VAT taxable. This means that if you're a US company selling products into the UK market, you're obliged to charge VAT (20%) on top of your retail price, and then pass that VAT on to the EU every quarter. If you don't add the VAT, you'll have to deduct it from your profits.

3. The third is that if you're looking to "sell" in the UK, there is nothing stopping you from doing it. There are no restrictions for retail products -- the only thing you need to concern yourself with is getting a decent fulfillment partner to handle the warehousing/delivery. I know nothing of this process, other than to say the market is pretty healthy - fulfillment center uk - Google Search

4. Whilst I don't think you'll be liable for UK taxes for selling into the market (unless you register a separate UK company), VAT will be your biggest concern. According to the UK government site, you have to be VAT registered if you're selling here: "There’s no threshold if neither you nor your business is based in the UK. You must register as soon as you supply any goods and services to the UK (or if you expect to in the next 30 days)." VAT registration is simple and free, but it means you have to provide VAT returns every 90 days

5. If you need an accountant, LBW are very good.

6. I would personally get a batch delivered to the UK mainland, pay for it to be stored & distributed, and then work on the marketing. If you need someone to oversee that process / act as a guarantor, I'm sure there are a plethora of people who'd be willing to help. Since I don't know what your product is, I can't comment on whether you'd need any sort of license/permission to sell it. If you want me to put you in contact with anyone, please feel free to ask.
Hope this wasn't condescending.

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
I started in the UK, expanded to DE 3 weeks ago and the process has been smooth.

Right now i'm still fullfilling my DE sales from the UK, because i'm still waiting on VAT registration in germany.(if you're storing goods in a EU country you need to be VAT registred).

The link above explains it pretty well.

Edit: from the way i understand it's best to go with the "Multi-Country Inventory" method, this way you won't have to start selling in every country at once, which will trigger VAT responsibilities in all EU coutries(which is a b*tch to deal with..)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.