The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ignorance is bliss

BillyBrass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Jul 1, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Hey guys,

Simon from Montreal, Canada here. Hope you're doing amazing. I am 29 and my favorite color is black ... sometimes blue.

What can I say? In June 2017 I've read "The Millionaire Fastlane " and I just started reading "UNSCRIPTED ". There are so much entrepreneurial/self-help books, videos and blogs out there that it's hard to find everything at the same place. MJ accomplished this feat beautifully. Thank you MJ!

I got a "light bulb moment" (not a "F*ck this event") when I was 22. I was in the Canadian Forces. Before it happened, I thought the only way to be famous, prosperous and successful was to inherit a fortune, to have rich parents, to be lucky, or to be a criminal (want some dope?).

That "light bulb moment" was a courtesy of "The secret of a millionaire's mind" written by Harv Eker. Not the best book in the world but enough to make an impact. From then onwards, I knew there was hope. I knew I could change. I knew I could make my dreams come true. I knew I could do something and that I was at the command of my own life.

It was very good to know because I always thought life was more than going to school, finding a good job and paying your bills.

Since then, I've been into numerous businesses like breathalyzers, energy bars, multilevel marketing (2x), realtor, styrofoam housing, web app, internet marketing, dropshipping, affiliate marketing, meat pies and now a new company ... more later.

Some of these companies worked better than the others - MLM never worked for me ... I guess I was too "smart". I can recall a time when I tried to convince my friends to get out of Visalus and that I was worried. (Was I wiser before becoming an entrepreneur?)

They (alcootests, energy bars, meat pies) worked better because I was focusing on value, not on my own selfish interests. When I was chasing money, nothing worked. Everything bombed.

Because I was chasing that "big" money I joined a MLM company. I went into Niken. When I was cold calling people and having a bunch of business cards in one hand I suddenly stopped and asked, "What the F*ck am I doing here? I am building someone else's business ... damn!" and I've quit.

The second time I went into MLM it was for a company named "Winner4Life". Yeah, with a name like that the company was destined for failure. The founders had a huge vision, bold projects and a brilliant future was at the horizon. Wrong.

It's when I went into that company that I saw to what extent or how far people were ready to go to make some fungolas. So many lies and inflated promises just to keep the boat afloat. "We'll have real estate ... we'll have streaming television ... we'll have a coffee enhanced with chaga ... I've cured my diabetes eating that bad-smelling-carcinogenic-processed food ... we'll own the world ..."

And selling 6 soft bars for 36 CAD wasn't the deal of the century too. "If people complain about the price, here's your chance to talk about the 'business' ... in MLM you got to multiply everything by 7 ..." Oh my god.

Sometimes I wished I wouldn't have seen the "truth".

"Ignorance is bliss" - The Matrix

I lost my girlfriend, I lost my well paying job, I lost almost all my money (don't cry buddy it gets better). I wished I could go back, forget about everything and reintegrate "the mold" but I felt something in my gut that urged me to keep walking, to keep moving forward and soon all my problems would vanish like a beautiful sunny sky after a shitty rainstorm.

The hardest moments were when I forgot about why I wanted to be an entrepreneur in the first place.

I embrace my failures today because I learned so much about myself. I learned to deal with rejection, anxiety, stress and depression. I learned to make new friends, to believe, to listen to myself and keep my ears shut at the mediocre common wisdom. I learned to love and accept myself, to be grateful for what I have right now.

Now I am building a new company with a friend of mine. It is a clothing brand. Yes. It brings value to the marketplace in the form of "empowering t-shirts". Before you ask, no it's not a "print-on-demand" business.

The philosophy behind the brand is the following : We honors the individualists who are craving to make their inner desires a reality because life's too short to be insignificant. Our mission is to provide clothes with clean, empowering, versatile and minimalistic designs.

I am an entrepreneur because, yes, I want to own some exotic cars, a mansion in LA, a villa in Hawaii with a private beach, a penthouse in MTL, a 100' yacht, to travel the world, and to have so much money I don't know what to do with it, but more importantly I want to ease the burden on my parents' shoulders, to be respected, successful and to help people.

Many entrepreneurs told me to avoid starting a business with a friend. Maybe they are right. Until now the business wasn't priority #1 for my friend. Let's also say that I did 95% myself. He came up with the name. My mom always say, "he takes advantage of you". Maybe mom and I love you.

I should learn the lesson now because it happened to me a lot in the past. When I work with someone else on a project and I see that I am working more I stop. I stop until the other person does something equivalent to my effort. But because nothing is done unless I do something, we are both penalized. This happened with the clothing brand.

I brought the topic and my concerns at one of our recent meetings. We'll see what happens.

Enough bla bla ...

It's not my whole and complete biography but you know a bit more about myself. By the way, if you're from Montreal or you're just passing by and you're not a serial killer we should go take a coffee. I always like to meet people face to face.

Have a nice day,

Simon.

P.S. I speak french (J'prendrais 2 œufs avec du bacon s.v.p. Vous voyez??).

P.P.S. Ignorance is bliss unless you want to grow and change your life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Epic intro, reads like the beginning hintings of a success story.

Welcome to the forum -- you are ONE of US!

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
What I really liked about your intro is that you're taking complete control of failures that happened in the past. Seems like you learned from them and are incorporating those lessons learned with your new ventures.. best of luck and welcome!

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
We've got a well-rounded and eloquent guy here! I enjoyed your story and I'm looking forward to reading how it develops.

Welcome to the forum!

BillyBrass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Jul 1, 2017
Montreal, Canada
What I really liked about your intro is that you're taking complete control of failures that happened in the past. Seems like you learned from them and are incorporating those lessons learned with your new ventures.. best of luck and welcome!

Thank you GuitarManDan.

Yes, you need to learn from your failures, but I made the same a couple of times before I could understand or learn from them. I guess the most important part is to assess and learn (finally) and try not to repeat them.

I created many businesses with other partners and it never really worked. We didn't have the same priorities and work ethic or they were just looking for someone to do the heavy lifting for them. When you are 100% committed to a business and your partner tells you, "I'll put some time on the business if I have some left during the week (it means 'I will do nothing')..." or " ... I have a job, a girlfriend and a kid ... I know you are in a hurry (duh!) but you have to adapt and do less ..." or " ... I did nothing this week because it wasn't a 'good' week and I was tired ... " Really? I think we have a problem pal.

Simon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...