• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

If you're a musician, you're definitely an entrepreneur!

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by LivingToLearn32, Nov 8, 2018.

1. LivingToLearn32

LivingToLearn32 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $86
    I've come to a realization that musicians are also great and amazing entrepreneurs! Little did I know I'm completely capable of being one. Not only that, but I've always been one. I've just realized and awoken to the fact that I CAN become financially free and do what I love. Not be limited to my dream but my dream can bring me down the right path.

Reasons I'm pursuing musician entrepreneurship:

1: Money and music are abundant. It's basically a necessity for people to listen to music. People will buy whatever you put out there not only if it's bad but ESPECIALLY LEGENDARY.

2: It follows the commandment of time. Once you get your music into the eye of the beholder, people will buy it. People will consume it like candy. Therefore after making just one song , that song is there forever and people see it granted you know how to advertise and get your name (brand) out there.

3: If you want to make millions, sell millions to millions of people. This is one of those ways to start this path of true Financial freedom by all those social media websites and media streaming websites! Heck you don't even have to make your music streamable, just direct them back to your web page if you want to sell it!

4: Music is not only abundant, it's infinite. You can make ANY STYLE YOU WANT or don't want. Heck, people listen to music that doesn't even sound good or have great lyrics nor great instrumentals or even plays real instruments! Capitalize on people's needs!

5: I've been playing guitar for over 10 years. I've play drums for over 5 years. And I've played bass guitar for over 3 years. I am still working on my vocals (which is the hardest for me) but it's still a skill to have basic vocal skills! Why should I waste my most valuable skill? And ive made music with 2 to 3 other bands ,granted they were not POPULAR nor by any means BIG BANDS, I still got to engage in true creativity with many many other people!

This is my new mission and commitment. Not only can I create music but I can create any genre that anyone wants. Heck I even have music out there that I created with just a laptop/laptop mic, guitar amp, and keyboard and still made music with just Audacity. A simple free audio editing software. I'm a big adapter when I have ambition for something I truly want.
    I don't have to make music entirely forever as my only source of passive income! It's just a start!

This is my dream. And I'm starting to live it. As of today. Eventually one day, this WILL lead to financial freedom. Gotta plant the seeds otherwise you won't take a chance and may never and will never see your tree bloom and bear the fruits of your hard work that eventually feeds you forever.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Temujin

Temujin Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $187
    Awesome stuff, I'm sharing this with a friend of mine, who is an aspiring artist but hesitant to really start putting out content. He has some great potential and is always working on his craft.

LivingToLearn32 likes this.
  3. LivingToLearn32

Rep Bank:
    $86
    No problem! People don't understand what they can do with music. And people LOVE music these days. It's basically an essential! With commitment and process, you can make these dreams come true. You just have to do the work.

4. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,367
    Speaking of, I was telling the lil woman just the other day that I am so surprised at her nephew and his wife for being so business-like. He is a professional clarinet player and she is a professional viola player and they have done VERY well in the short time since they graduated. They play for a few different orchestras around the US and they both teach from their home. All while having a baby to take care of. And, my brother-in-law is a professional pianist and voice teacher who has done ok for himself as well. He was teaching at a college but now they moved back to Texas so he is doing his own thing. I'm proud of them all for doing as well as they have because they don't really have a business sense at all, yet they won't listen to a word I say about business.... they think music is different. TONS of money to be made all over the music business from teaching to playing in bars.

5. srodrigo

srodrigo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    It's great that you can pursue what you love while still make a living and, who knows, maybe go fastlane.

I would just be aware of the overcrowded market. There are tons of bands out there, but people only have a limited amount of time to listen to music, so you need to be among the best to make it really big. I would say, spend time on learning marketing; you can be really good, but there are other really good and relatively unknown bands out there, so you need to stand out in a different way.

I wish you best of luck!

P.S: I'm in the same position, but making video games, which is becoming more and more like being a musician in a small band :), it shares the same problem of overcrowded markets.

minivanman and LivingToLearn32 like this.
  6. Limitless4Life

Limitless4Life Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $988
    I was in the same boat - been playing guitar for 10 years and have played in many bands/gigs.

Remember - It’s truly a game where the top 1% takes all since there’s practically no barrier to entry.

And like MJ says, doing it for a living can kill your love. Beware of the wonder twin, “do what you love!”

I would play three 3-hour gigs per day at a (pretty high) hourly rate with my girlfriend at the time who was a great singer. Sounds like the life right?

Eh...

Lugging equipment, playing the same songs, feeling like your fingers are going to fall off, $2 tips, playing for a small/boring audience...

Gets pretty old really fast.

And,

Just because you’re good doesn’t mean people want to listen.

Plus, there’s a whole other realm of ‘good’ out there at the top. But that’s another story...

Kruiser, superb and minivanman like this.
  7. Startup Steve

Startup Steve Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $447
    Here are some target salaries for people to consider for this industry:
    Piano Accompanist Salary $53k
    Composer Salary $53k
    Singer Salary $49k
    Music Therapist Salary $44k
    DJ Salary $43k
    Musician Salary $41k
    Music Producer Salary $40k
    Piano Tuner Salary $37k
    Live Sound Engineer Salary $37k
    Music Business Manager Salary $34k

8. LivingToLearn32

Rep Bank:
    $86
    Thanks! I'm aware I have to stand out. I have been writing/planning out my process as such in my journal:

Goal: Passive Income
    If I want to be financially free I need to plant the tree.

The How: Create and sell my music.
    Not to toot my own horn but I know exactly how to create music. All of it (at least the most popular ones and my favorite).

The What (What will sell my music):
    Advertisement is other platforms and websites WILL get my name out there easily.

Which sites and places can I advertise? This is where it branches.

Social media: Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Ozone, Tumblr.

Music streaming sites: Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora Radio, SoundCloud, Google Play music.

Video stream sites: YouTube, Daily motion, Vimeo.

Personal website: Where I'm centralizing myself.

srodrigo likes this.
  9. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,367
    So turn your experience in to another business. Get paid to do their marketing or maybe even make a course to sell about marketing a band.

10. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $47,661
    Can we hear some?

11. LivingToLearn32

Rep Bank:
    $86
    Sure thing! I'm moving into my apartment with my fiance next month on December 20th. That should be around the time I get settled and start making music. Right now I only have a laptop, desktop computer, 1 guitar, 1 amp, and 1 pedal. That's it. I only need 5 things now basically but really only 4. An auido interface to plug my instruments (microphone, guitar, midi keyboard) up to and then plug into my desktop. Some recording software. My uncle is a musician too and showed me a program called mixcraft. So I'll use that or another program. Then a midi controller. Then boom! Music. But ya I'll post/share some songs on here once I get those last few things. I should have everything by the end of next month. I'll update you guys once I make a song/album.

It won't be alot of money obviously but it's a starting point. My first attempt to plant my first seed! And then I can expand on my central website or other things and start selling more than just music. This will be my seed training.

12. LivingToLearn32

Rep Bank:
    $86
    I am possible going to do something like that as well. I've been out of the loop with specifically musical technology for about a year or two. Now that I have a good job that pays well , I can start the process pretty quickly actually. I could make courses, make a fourm/bloggimg section on the site, and it could grow from a simple music site to something even bigger. I would actually like to help musians everywhere with their needs and such but in a Fastlane way. That has yet to be started but I'm focusing on one idea at a time now. The first one is build that website, make music, and spread it out. Music is my best mental training. Because of the creativity in creating music, I can create so many more things that just music. And I'm excited! One seed at a time.

minivanman likes this.