The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you ever feel "stuck" - read this...

ChrisRempel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 1, 2011
Victoria BC
Hey guys

This is an article I sent out to my newsletter (in the affiliate marketing industry) a little while ago, which was quite well received.

It's a very simple, yet very effective strategy for overcoming the "mental blockage" that seems to sabotage projects before they even start.

Defeating the "enemy within", so to speak.

And though this was sent to affiliate marketers, it really applies to any field of entrepreneurship.

Hopefully you enjoy it...

---------------------------

Hi {!name}

This is a long email.

And for anyone who struggles with the simple act of actually "getting stuff done" (like yours truly) - this is well, well worth the read.

Stay with me - and prepare for a shock to the system...

How to Actually Get Out of a Rut and See Results:
------------------------------

I think it's safe to say that feeling "stuck" is a common symptom when you're trying to get things going online.

And I'd also bet that - 9 times out of 10 - the challenge really isn't about "the task".

Sure, lots of people struggle with things like getting traffic, etc. But that's really more of a side-effect than the actual root cause of WHY we get "stuck".

Unfortunately... it's a bit more complex.

I've received literally hundreds of emails from people over the years expressing that "if they could only get more traffic", or "if they could only find the right market" - or whatever - then everything would work out. The dream would become reality. If only.

"IF..."

That's one dangerous little word.

You see - and I'm saying this as somebody who still struggles DAILY to get stuff done, make progress, etc. - the REAL problem when we're "stuck" is NOT that we don't know what to do. Hell - most of the roughly 30,000 people reading this right now probably know enough to teach a college course on Internet Marketing.

(Not kidding - that's the truth).

Instead - and pay very close attention here - the REAL Problem is this:

We Don't Believe In Ourselves...

So We Mask That Weakness With a Scapegoat ("IF Only _____")...

...Because Dreaming is SAFER than Trying

I think that will resonate with a lot of people reading this.

Well, maybe I'm wrong - but I know it sure resonates with ME. Over the years, I've come to see that "inner struggle" as my TRUE challenge.

When a project goes stale, or runs out of steam... it's not because I "couldn't find the right keywords". Or "get enough traffic".

Those are things that are easily quantifiable (and in many cases "copy-able"), and it's just a matter of doing.

Instead - when something flops, stalls or gets "STUCK"... it's because I've internally CHOSEN things like escapism, distraction and "reactive action" (ie. checking emails all day, checking stats, etc.)...

...as opposed to actually doing very simple, fundamental things that drive results.

(And that's another "nugget" takeaway from this - the big results are from "boring" fundamentals. Content, links & list-building. Not "tricks", "hacks", "secrets", etc. That's basically just ebook fodder in this market.)

Okay, so...

How Does Somebody Overcome the "Inner Roadblocks"

And Embrace REAL RESULTS Instead of SAFE DREAMS?

That is - quite literally - the million dollar question.

It's very similar to dieting/exercise. It ain't no secret, folks. Eat less + exercise more = Guaranteed Results.

(And it's not really even that hard to do.) The tough part is summoning the inner resolve - the WILL - to act.

But why is the WILL TO ACT so freakin' hard!!??

I honestly don't know.

Maybe it's just one of those human-condition things.

But I DO know that over the years, I've only found ONE strategy that always seems to work when I encounter this sort of "mental rut"...

...and it's very, very simple.

Now, because of that, be careful not to understimate the power of what I'm about to share. Actually TRY doing this, and you'll be amazed at the mental clarity it produces...

Going Nowhere? Get Yourself a Hammer & Nails...
-----------------------------------------------

If you know my "success story", you know that it was actually (initially) an accidental wave of results, which then basically ignited an intense wave of motivation and drive within myself to essentially repeat the same, mundane, "boring" process over and over again.

With the result being that I generated 6 figures in about 6 months time, and by the end of that year I was routinely seeing $1K/day in net affiliate commissions.

And what always went through my mind as I was eagerly pushing out sites, doing basic link-building, basic content creation, etc. was - really - just how straightforward it all is.

"IT'S JUST LIKE BUILDING A DECK"...

You get your supplies, your hammer, and some nails, and then you just nail it together piece by piece.

Until it's done.

And that's all there is to it.

Pure simplicity in action. There's no "secret searching". No "discovering the way".

Just build a damn deck, and when you run into obstacles, Google your way around them. Not hard.

WHAT'S HARD IS BRINGING YOURSELF TO DO IT.

And the only thing that has worked for me, over the years, to stay on task and maintain progress is to revert my thinking back to "Building a Deck". Forget about the inner doubts. The "fear" of too many options. The subtle negativity that says "don't try too hard in case it flops".

Forget "magic formulas". Forget "wishing really hard to be successful so that the universe will unlock the magical success vibrations in your direction", etc.

JUST BUILD A DAMN DECK.

-------------------------

Building "Decks" has opened a lot of doors for me.

It's actually pretty mind-blowing.

But everything I've done that has produced real results - and I mean EVERYTHING - has been the result of what was initially just a few days of "production mode". Making a plan based on simple, common-sense observations. Getting domains, getting content, getting links, etc.

Building my proverbial decks.

Scouring forums hasn't made me a single dime. Neither has daydreaming. Nor has complaining, wishing, whining, etc.

But my little "decks" always work.

That's what works for me, anyway.

And this simple, single "adjustment" in mindset everytime I get myself stuck has worked wonders.

Now - here's a question...

"Do you think this area of REAL challenges is covered enough for internet marketers?"

(My guess is you said "no").

If that's the case - be sure to check this out:

>> [Link Removed out of Respect for the Forum Rules]

This is sort of like the "Bible" of "Build a Deck" thinking. And it's produced by a marketer who I can truly call a good friend (we normally spend hours each month on the phone talking shop), and I'm continually inspired by him.

He's the online millionaire who is BLIND FROM BIRTH.

His name is Matt Wadsworth, and he is the definition of Unstoppable.

For those who would appreciate this kind of "real life" training from a REAL marketer (ie. doesn't make their living as a "Guru"), then this has my highest recommendation.

Matt is the real deal, folks.

And what he's developed here makes my "Build a Deck" principle look like a footnote.

Well worth your time to check out:

>> [Link Removed out of Respect for the Forum Rules]

Okay... long email.

Wheww!

Well - hopefully that struck a chord with some folks.

And more importantly - maybe it will inspire even just one person to dump the "noise" and embrace the raw simplicity of doing things that get results.

Just like building a deck.

Plain, simple - and life changing.

All the best, {!name}

Cheers

Chris Rempel

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ChrisRempel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 1, 2011
Victoria BC
Thanks man

I just realized some of the formatting got screwed up.

I'll go back and edit that so there's no overlapping text lines as soon as I can.

Right now I'm "building a deck" :)

-Chris

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Didnt take as long as I thought to read....but damn, I am sure glad I did. Loved it! Best part right here:

""IT'S JUST LIKE BUILDING A DECK"...

You get your supplies, your hammer, and some nails, and then you just nail it together piece by piece.

Until it's done.

And that's all there is to it."

I'm sending this to my business partner.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great letter ... basically he is describing the process. Showing up to a plot of land with a tool box doesn't consitite building a deck. thx+speed!

SKM430

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks for that man. That's exactly the kind of positive reinforcement I needed today. No one but ourselves can stop us of realizing our greatest successes.

ProfessorSpeed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Sep 20, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Anyone built a deck? Wow, his analogy could not be more true. The first part of the project is the "fun" part. You sketch, design, and build the frame of the deck. You figure out all the angles, and get to use a little brain power and creativity. ...But then the monotony begins...the planks! Over and over, you screw boards in place. It's mindless work and it seems to go on forevvver.

Compare this to your PROCESS. You know you start with the "fun" stuff. Everyone subconsciously starts their project doing the items that are enjoyable. These get knocked out in a reasonable amount of time. The next thing you know, all that's left is a huge backlog of crummy tasks that you continued to put off. You find your mind drifting with just a few minutes of beginning one of these tasks. It seems like it will never end. Distraction, self doubt, and reactive actions set in. The crummy tasks themselves are not difficult, but the loss of momentum can begin to highlight our "internal struggle" and character weaknesses.

The only way to finish the deck and enjoy the fruits of your PROCESS is to just put your head down and "Build the Deck"!

ChrisRempel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 1, 2011
Victoria BC
You know you start with the "fun" stuff. Everyone subconsciously starts their project doing the items that are enjoyable.

So very true.

For me this is the "planning" stage, getting logos done up, buying domains, etc.

I think like most entrepreneurs (particularly on the web) I've probably "started" about 150 projects, and completed about 20% of them. Obviously, the only ones that produced results were the ones that got completed.

And though not every "thing" I've completed has succeeded (far from), those that have more than make up for those that don't, or even the ones that pull mediocre results.

That's just the way it is. The key is to make the most of your winners.

When you've got a royal flush, bet accordingly (and your chips aren't necessarily money - usually the biggest influence on momentum is effort and networking).

-Chris

P.S. I edited the initial post so it no longer wraps the text weirdly..

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Chris,
I feel like you just slapped me on my face. I can still feel your fingerprints. Thanks, I needed it.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
I need this. I forgot that the boring parts were the most necessary. Honestly I don't even know what "complete" is for me. I just want to make my first affiliate sale! Its been a good couple months giving it everything I've got, applying everything I can, re strategizing, re writing, studying ad copy, realizing the importance of know my market.....

Its the monotony of becoming a market leader, the reluctance to be a leader in this specific market, and the idea that its inherently "slow lane".

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
Myself and many others I've known have fallen to exactly what you described: motivated at first by the idea, the creativity, the fun of starting something new. A new adventure! It's why, for example, MMORPG's are so addicting at first, but then later you feel like you wasted your life. First there is the new adventure, and then it's just mob grinding.

You're right though:

Simplify the whole process, find an analogy that works for you (and a process), and just hammer it out. If you 'really' cannot do the work here are a few ideas:

* Outsource! Freelancers are a dime-a-dozen these days for the day to day internet marketing stuff.
* Create a joint venture! You have the idea, now find someone who either has the knowledge (And will power) or a team to do the work! Pay them on the backend (based on results/product performance)
* Create a company to do the work for you. Yup. Create a LLC, hire employess (even part time independent contractors) to do the work. No office? No problem! Have them work from home, or even in your home office.

As the OP says: Just do it (not to steal a line from Nike though >_>)

Live long and prosper!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Wow Chris! Thanks!

I would click the speed button 10 times if it was allowed.

This definitely should be sticky.

This works for literally every aspect of life, and works like nothing else.

Recently I've bought the most expensive and strongest fat burner on the market, to prepare for the summer. It worked like crazy, causing sleeplessness, and dramatically increased my levels of energy. Yet, my results were not reflecting this. No change really.

Last week, I tossed all the junk food and sweets, replaced it with fruits, and amped up my workout to the extreme.
The results were there in 3 days!

Thanks again for the great post.

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
Great post! I'm dealing with this right now. I've passed the "fun" part, my idea is all fleshed out and I know exactly what I want to do. Now I'm learning to code, and it's very dry and boring, it's been a challenge to keep moving forward when the final product is still so far away, but you've really helped motivate me, thanks!

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I had no idea Mr. Rempel posted here. I'm on his newsletter. I've signed up to about a billion different mailing lists just so I could see how the pros do it. His is one of the few ones where I find myself wishing a few times each month that he'd send out some more stuff. I think he's a great example of always sending out truly epic shit. You can tell he takes immense time with his messages. Maybe I signed up for it late in the game and he's since moved on to other projects.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Simplicity is the new complicated. Great post.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
To this I will add a quote from one of my favorite people on earth:

Let me remember that my past failures at follow-through are no indication of my future performance. They're just healthy little fires that are gonna warm up my a$$. - Ze Frank

Watch this video and repeat as necessary. :)

I love this thread. Thank you.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Everything is better than doing nothing. Even if you are not sure it will help, at least go out and DO something

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Everything is better than doing nothing. Even if you are not sure it will help, at least go out and DO something
I disagree. Doing something that WON'T help is counter productive. Instead of just doing "something," why not check in to whether or not that "something" would help you reach your goal easier?

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
You're right, I think I formulated it wrong. What I mean by "everything" is "everything that has a positive impact, whether it be huge or small".

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Great thread. After the initial creative idea stage, success really boils down to process, grind, productivity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.