The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea + Short Term Progress

Idea threads

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
So I've had a few ideas I liked, my last one was a guitar encyclopedia app but I think it's a good project for later. The last couple weeks I've been working on a more realistic idea. It's pretty simple but I think it can really work. It's basically a cup holder/coaster with a suction cup on the bottom. For one it's a portable cup holder but it prevents your drink from spilling and being knocked over. I'm learning copy right now as well, working on the Gary Heart challenge so I'm expecting my marketing to be better before I launch the product.

As a musician I also found a good use for both touring and recording musicians. Musical gear both live and in the studio can cost up to 10's of thousands for smaller bands and well over a million for large acts and nothing protects them from a drink simply being knocked over. A single mixing desk can cost $250,000 and one beer or can of soda can completely fry it. Most musicians I've met don't have cup holders in their jam room, studio, or even living room so it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

It can also be used on boats, planes, living room table, or really anywhere with a flat smooth surface (but can still stand on it's own without the suction cup). So there can definitely be a market for it. I feel it meets all five commandments but outside views are always helpful. This is going to be for just smaller diameter drinks like soda and beer cans, beer bottles, and energy drinks. Soda bottles are quite larger in diameter so it would be difficult to make a 1 size fits all product. Same goes for most household glasses (those were my original audience but too much variation between sizes). Soda bottles also have a cap so it's not as needed.

So far I've done a few different drafts and came up with what I believe is the final draft. I've posted a request on alibaba and got 2 responses and 5 suggested from alibaba. Replied to both with a good set of questions and pics with measurements of the final draft.

Now what I'm not sure of is simple things like: How many prototypes should I order? 1, 5, 10? From both suppliers? And when testing the market by selling prototypes in what way would you try to sell them? Like I wouldn't want to pay for a website and marketing before I know the product sells, so should I just put them on craigslist and ebay?

From there I was wondering about things like the website. I was looking at other sites of products that exploded and noticed many of them were just a single long page with a "buy it" button. I'm sure it saves a good chunk of money but to me it seemed to look less professional for some reason. Not like they're a bad company or anything, it just comes off as a small business whereas a larger site makes me feel like it's a more established, successful business. I don't know if anyone else ever gets that feeling but I see cost and ease for customer to be advantages, but what do you think is better?

Thanks for any help guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
I think that whatever sells the most units is better.

Sometimes having more things a visitor can do on your website just allows them to get distracted. Few things on the website means they will read what you want them to until they get to the "buy now" button.

Your desire to have an "established" looking business might just be your ego talking, which isn't a bad thing. Sometimes it's worth it to sacrifice a bit of money to be able to brag more to friends or feel better about ourselves. I can imagine a scenario where looking more established could also help purchases though...

I think some things like this just fall under "need to be tested".

Just wanted to say that I think what you're doing is really cool and I hope you keep us updated on your success. Inventing and manufacturing is definitely something I hope I get to do in my future.

I would definitely recommend getting samples from any manufacturer you are considering working with though.

I don't have experience in this area, but throwing out some thoughts...

Getting more than 1 sample can be an opportunity to check the consistency of their manufacturing process. Do the units look and function similarly? With one unit you might think that they are great, but then you realize they have a high degree of variability or something.

Getting a couple of prototypes would also allow you to take a couple to friends, family, or people at places like guitar center, where you can get outside feedback on your design and figure out if there are any design changes you think need to be made based off of real world user feedback.

If you get a good reception at a place like guitar center, or another place like that, you could try to get some product placed in some of their locations or something. You might also contact some blogs, send them some freebies, or even send some to famous DJs.

Cutting a deal with a blog where they get xx% of the profit on units sold through an email blast to their email lists could work as well.

I'm not so sure that craigslist or ebay would really work very well because your product is sort of a new thing, right? I don't know if people will find it or know what to do with it.

What is the MOQ of the manufacturers you're working with?

If the people you show it to at guitar center, or wherever would be interested in actually paying you then and there for the product, I think it would probably be pretty safe to order an initial order. Same with if you find a blog that would be willing to endorse your product for a blast to it's email lists.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the reply. One supplier told me 500 MQO which is fine, the other one is giving me a more accurate quote but the first quote was 1000 MQO but with a substantially lower cost. About the GC thing, I worked at 2 different ones over the past few years, including the local one, and unfortunately bringing in a product to show to the customers is a no no, and the store can't purchase anything. They go through corporate were there's tons of rules, a very very large quantity required, and a tough entrance. But I know enough musicians and just business owners in general where I could show it off. Just wasn't sure about selling the prototypes. Should I use them to send (for free) to individuals with large followings (such as famous musicians and radio people) and local business owners, or is it better to try and sell them to just anyone? I'm not as worried about testing the waters as far as the cost goes because we should be up and running for less than $2000, so very little risk.

Thanks

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Little update, I deleted my buying request on alibaba and started a new one. Worded it better, put a list of questions for the supplier as well, drew up a better draft all in metric, found pictures of bits and pieces of other items with similar features I want on mine, and realized I could categorize my ad:headbanger:, so it can be found easier by suppliers I want. Within about 3 hours I got 10 requests (all 5+ year gold members), responded to each one as they came in, and even had one factory call me from Shenzhen just to ask a question. lol One factory was even nice enough to make a 3D model of what I'm looking for, just to clarify for themselves. Pretty big price difference between them, some as low as $.50 ea to as much as $2.30 ea, with MQO from 500 to 2000, tooling costs from $300 to 800, and one had free samples (not sure if it's a sample of my product, or just of the material I want). Some of them were definitely a no while others met every need I have as well as future needs (drop shipping and other possible materials).

I bought a small whiteboard just to outline all the steps I need in setting up the business, and wrote up a chart comparing each factory to help narrow it down. Should I narrow it down to 3 or so factories and then ask for samples? It's a new product so I imagine they can't make it without making my mold, which would bring up the tooling charge. If they'd want the tooling charge even for a prototype (I'd understand why) is there a better approach you guys would take? I can't imagine paying $300 to 800 from each company just for a single piece, and possibly picking only 1 or none of them and starting the process again. If that's the best way then so be it but I wanted to check here first.

Next steps are again:
narrowing the suppliers down,
ordering prototypes,
narrowing it down to 1 or 2,
design website and contact web developer/designer,
reach out to local businesses I know as well as some local (but national) musicians to just help get the name out there,
finally, order bulk and launch website.

Definitely in a nutshell but you guys know how it goes. One more big question I had was about negotiating price. One factory made the point to ask if the price was ok with me. It was one of the more expensive factories but had a lower MQO and met every other need I had, and was very quick to respond to every message I sent (they actually were the ones to make the 3D model). I've never been a haggler but when it comes to business I need to get out of my comfort zone. Do you guys normally negotiate the price? I don't want to insult the factory but more profit is more profit. Not sure how I should go about that. Should I just say "X company can do it for x.xx for xxx pieces, can you match/beat that"?

Lastly, when looking at packaging materials, do you guys normally setup an account through fedex/ups... and order bulk boxes and bubble wrap from them, a 3rd party, or would buying it from alibaba be a cheaper route? So far all I'm finding is boxes that are more than the product itself, and that's bulk too. The less I spend, the more I have to build the business.

Thanks again guys for any help:rockon:

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
Negotiate price after you have seen the prototypes?

Joozed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Oct 29, 2013
One marketing / design angle you might want to consider taking is making the product also like a koozie / coozie so it would almost be a dual function. This would also let you tap in the sports / tailgating / BBQ niche as well.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Originally I thought about that, but decided against it for now. I'd probably have to find two suppliers, one for the holder and one for the koozie, and then two companies to deal with as far as QC goes and making them work together. Eventually if this goes well I thought of adding a removable sleeve that would act as a koozie but to do that I'd have to make a whole new product with a bigger diameter. That would also let me make a new model that could fit household glasses as well, or with the thick removable koozie it can fit soda cans and bottles.
Thanks for the suggestion.

PDeezy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 14, 2014
Sydney
Hi there, just curious about protecting your design/idea when using sites like Alibaba. What is to stop a potential supplier taking your design, mass producing it and selling it themselves or passing your product onto another party?

Apologies if this is covered anywhere else on the forum.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi there, just curious about protecting your design/idea when using sites like Alibaba. What is to stop a potential supplier taking your design, mass producing it and selling it themselves or passing your product onto another party?

Apologies if this is covered anywhere else on the forum.
Thank you for the question. I'm not an expert with this so I don't know all the ins and outs, but I'm not really worried about it. From what's been said in other threads, they are a factory working on fulfilling orders so they don't have the time or the desire to steal my idea that potentially has no cash flow. Same goes for just other people. Anyone can come along and steal my idea, nothing's stopping them. But again it's just an idea at this point. I'm not making any money yet so what reason would someone have to take the time and effort to steal an idea that will do nothing for them? Now if I was raking in the cash then I could see why there'd be interest. Even if someone here liked the idea enough to cut me off and build their business first (and better) so be it, that's competition, can't stop it. I'm more worried about making the best product and brand I can and if I do my job correctly the customers will follow. Once I get a little cash flow coming in I'll file for a patent but at this point it's just extra money I don't need to spend yet.

On top of that, I have other ideas I could run with if this one fails or gets jacked.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
And I don't believe a patent covers international anyways, so don't know if there's really anything I could do to stop Alibaba... if they really wanted to.

PDeezy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 14, 2014
Sydney
Thank you for the question. I'm not an expert with this so I don't know all the ins and outs, but I'm not really worried about it. From what's been said in other threads, they are a factory working on fulfilling orders so they don't have the time or the desire to steal my idea that potentially has no cash flow. Same goes for just other people. Anyone can come along and steal my idea, nothing's stopping them. But again it's just an idea at this point. I'm not making any money yet so what reason would someone have to take the time and effort to steal an idea that will do nothing for them? Now if I was raking in the cash then I could see why there'd be interest. Even if someone here liked the idea enough to cut me off and build their business first (and better) so be it, that's competition, can't stop it. I'm more worried about making the best product and brand I can and if I do my job correctly the customers will follow. Once I get a little cash flow coming in I'll file for a patent but at this point it's just extra money I don't need to spend yet.

On top of that, I have other ideas I could run with if this one fails or gets jacked.

I appreciate the response, thanks. I just wasn't sure how sites like that work, particularly as I'm assuming the manufacturer's would be based in China or India, but I can see your point about it not being feasible for them. Good luck, hope it goes well, looking forward to hearing about your ongoing progress.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
sometimes the simplest idea can make millions, good luck!

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
Perhaps something else to consider here too - most beer drinking musicians can easily go through a case or 3 and many times you'll see all of their bottles lined all across their amps, and on the floor and everywhere. Many of these bottles are doubled as ashtrays and don't get completely finished.

Maybe your design can somehow accommodate ALL of these issues?

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Perhaps something else to consider here too - most beer drinking musicians can easily go through a case or 3 and many times you'll see all of their bottles lined all across their amps, and on the floor and everywhere. Many of these bottles are doubled as ashtrays and don't get completely finished.

Maybe your design can somehow accommodate ALL of these issues?
Thats a good thought, thank you. I'll try to figure that out.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I was thinking like maybe some thin tray with raised edges that can fit on top of amps and racks... as a dual purpose of preventing spilled liquids and ashes from getting on your gear as well as giving a flat smooth surface for the suction cup to work. Make it look like it's supposed to be there, not just any ole tray. Another thought was basically a trash can but specialize it in a way to where musicians will find a benefit over just a regular trash can. Simple enough would be just the design, but making a function to sell them on it would be better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.