• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Short term Rental - Designerwear

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by AidenRafi, Nov 8, 2018.

1. AidenRafi

AidenRafi New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $77
    Hi Guys,

I have a new idea based on an issue I have had recently.

I design clothes in my spare time and I am very much a fan of designers/designerwear

Yet I can't afford to purchase most of the stuff I like.

If there was a place I could rent certain designer wear for a week or so I would use this service.

Below is an outline of the idea in terms of problems and solutions:

Problem - clothes are getting expensive
    Solution - rent designer wear for short term

Pros - lenders can make money off their wardrobe
    - renters can save money by renting instead of owning

Cons - Fraud is a roadblock
    - Very niche - Is the market big enough to be profitable?

Does anyone have any thoughts on renting/lending and other roadblocks I might have in this industry?

Thanks

Xeon likes this.
  2. Davejemmolly

Davejemmolly Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $711
    I’ve seen similar stores in a Formal wear / ball gowns / school formal space, though this appears to be a more boutique shop (Mum and dad type operation)

Pretty sure I’ve also heard of an online store that does a similar ‘rent’ option with handbags.

Hope this helps

Xeon likes this.
  3. becks22

becks22 90% coffee, 10% everything else Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,054
    For men or for women? Rent the Runway is pretty popular for females. I've rented from them a few times for weddings I had to go to. They do formal wear and accessories.

Xeon likes this.
  4. AidenRafi

Rep Bank:
    $77
    It will be for men initially and then maybe move to women.
    I am focusing on men because there is not a lot in this sector focusing on them.
    Also the company will be focused on all kinds of wear rather than focusing on formal wear.
    I am sure you rented off a company and they hold the product in their own warehouse.
    Where my company is differs is that two users of the site will be conducting a transaction between each other and the company will simply be the place where the transaction takes place. Therefore focus would be on safety, anti-fraud and ease of use.

5. AidenRafi

Rep Bank:
    $77
    I understand that some stores do this but mine will be more of a transactional base then a retail store. I will simply be connecting renters and lenders.
    Also focus will not be solely on formal wear but rather all kinds of high end designer wear.

6. Bekit

Bekit Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,490
    Ann Taylor is doing something like this for women's clothes. "Our closet is your closet" is the concept. You order things to rent, send them back when you want, and shipping is free both ways. It's set up to be super simple, and it gives you a humongous rotating supply of classy business clothing (not formal wear) at a reasonable price point.

There's another women's clothing line called M.M La Fleur that offers "clothing bento boxes" - similar concept.

I've never subscribed to either one, but if women's brands are succeeding at this, I don't see why a men's brand wouldn't. It might be worth looking into how these brands are doing it in case you want to borrow any tricks from their playbook.

Jello likes this.