The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

IBISworld membership?

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
I'm trying to narrow down my focus to a few industries on my way to selecting one to focus my efforts in. In the big picture the cost of an ibisworld membership could probably be easily justified, but in the short term I wonder if the money would be better spent elsewhere..

In your experience, do I really need this level of detail? Are there any alternative services that provide enough info to narrow down my choices?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It's not an inconsequential sum. I guess it depends on the level of information you require and how much not having that information could cost you in the long run.

In the past I was able to access detailed market reports from University libraries free of charge. I don't know if that option would be available to you?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Oh and one other thing. It's just a thought but are there independent researchers that could provide this level of information for you for a lower fee? Say on Upwork or something?

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
Oh and one other thing. It's just a thought but are there independent researchers that could provide this level of information for you for a lower fee? Say on Upwork or something?

I never attended university, so that is probably not an option, but a good suggestion for those who do/have. I'll look to see if any local public libraries offer access to this information.

I had not considered hiring an independent researcher. Thanks for the suggestion. Right now this all very big picture, and I'm the level of depth required will vary depending on the industry and even more so once I attempt to niche down.

The upside is that with the limited info provided on the ibis free report I was able to rule out a couple of industries I was considering as they appear to be stagnant or even diminishing slightly.

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
I checked my local libraries website. They have a small business resource center with an impressive looking list of available directories, databases and business legal resources to name a few. Looks like I'm going to be spending a bunch of time at the library!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I checked my local libraries website. They have a small business resource center with an impressive looking list of available directories, databases and business legal resources to name a few. Looks like I'm going to be spending a bunch of time at the library!

Excellent. Hopefully they will have enough data to fulfil your requirements.

redrenegade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jul 19, 2018
Your local library should be your first stop. They have loads of materials (unless you're in a city/town with a very low budget....)

Your next stop should be a small business centre. Over here the SBDC (Small Business Development Corporation) which is a government agency to help people start their small business has a lot of materials as well including access to IBISWorld.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.