The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

IBISworld membership?

superb

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 8, 2013
I'm trying to narrow down my focus to a few industries on my way to selecting one to focus my efforts in. In the big picture the cost of an ibisworld membership could probably be easily justified, but in the short term I wonder if the money would be better spent elsewhere..

In your experience, do I really need this level of detail? Are there any alternative services that provide enough info to narrow down my choices?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 3, 2014
England UK
It's not an inconsequential sum. I guess it depends on the level of information you require and how much not having that information could cost you in the long run.

In the past I was able to access detailed market reports from University libraries free of charge. I don't know if that option would be available to you?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 3, 2014
England UK
Oh and one other thing. It's just a thought but are there independent researchers that could provide this level of information for you for a lower fee? Say on Upwork or something?

OP
OP
superb

superb

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 8, 2013
Oh and one other thing. It's just a thought but are there independent researchers that could provide this level of information for you for a lower fee? Say on Upwork or something?
I never attended university, so that is probably not an option, but a good suggestion for those who do/have. I'll look to see if any local public libraries offer access to this information.

I had not considered hiring an independent researcher. Thanks for the suggestion. Right now this all very big picture, and I'm the level of depth required will vary depending on the industry and even more so once I attempt to niche down.

The upside is that with the limited info provided on the ibis free report I was able to rule out a couple of industries I was considering as they appear to be stagnant or even diminishing slightly.

OP
OP
superb

superb

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 8, 2013
I checked my local libraries website. They have a small business resource center with an impressive looking list of available directories, databases and business legal resources to name a few. Looks like I'm going to be spending a bunch of time at the library!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 3, 2014
England UK
I checked my local libraries website. They have a small business resource center with an impressive looking list of available directories, databases and business legal resources to name a few. Looks like I'm going to be spending a bunch of time at the library!
Excellent. Hopefully they will have enough data to fulfil your requirements.

redrenegade

New Contributor
Jul 19, 2018
Your local library should be your first stop. They have loads of materials (unless you're in a city/town with a very low budget....)

Your next stop should be a small business centre. Over here the SBDC (Small Business Development Corporation) which is a government agency to help people start their small business has a lot of materials as well including access to IBISWorld.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom