The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I will log every day on my journey from <$1000 to $1M+ from 17 to 19

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, thanks, I still feel I'm behind sometimes though.

I think I really want $1M, 1. because of the freedom of time, and resources it will bring, and 2. because it will be really fun IMO to get there and work really hard for something and it will be a very exciting & challenging journey.

I think I know why I am pretty badly mentally ill as well - my "parents" kinda f*cked me over. But yeah, I've also been trying journaling and "getting curious about yourself" as you say and I'd definitely recommend it, even if it's a just a few words about how you're feeling every few days.

Dude, no matter what has happened to you, NEVER ever go for the victim mentality. I don't personally care if you complain so I'm saying this 100% for your own good.

Nothing good will come out from externalizing your problems i.e blaming your shitty parents, the school kids that bullied you, or whatever. So don't.

Anyway, in regards to your ideal life, are you sure you need 1M to live it out? Because I'm not even doing 6 figures per year and yet I'm doing everything you mentioned in your checklist:

• I've got a lot of free time to do whatever I feel like. 95% + of my daily time, in fact
  • I travel with my girl basically wherever and whenever we choose
  • I generally feel quite fulfilled as my work is adding a lot of value to my clients (7-8 figures in contributions for a few of them)
  • I work out every day and frequently go karting and sim-racing - unfortunately, this is something a lot of people cannot afford even if it's not that expensive. But with my decent earnings, I can
So my advice? Don't chase an arbitrary number in your bank account. Focus on adding value and automating most of your work (and a SaaS would definitely allow you to do so).

Oh, and enjoy yourself. Because as it stands, you sound an awful lot like someone who thinks that money will magically bring them the life they desire.. or severely overestimating the money they'll require to do the things they want to do.

Where do you want to travel? Check out the plane tickets and cost for accommodation, food, and entertainment. Think of the sport(s) you want to partake in.

How much $ would you need to do that regularly i.e travelling and playing sports? Is it really $84 000 per month?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

JasperDeMuynck

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 12, 2022
Hi man, so I stumbled on your post and I just want to give you some ideas in regards to your mental health struggles.

I've had a very similar internal dialogue with myself in the past and had a very bad childhood as well, but I've overcome it nearly completely. On top of that I'm a professional in regards to coaching and helping people break through limiting beliefs and such, so it should be of value. Do keep in mind that coaching is not therapy and definitely is not a replacement for it. So use the tools that I'm about to give you as a "supplement".

From what people say about their situations, you can pretty easily tell how a person sees their world. Always remember that how we see our world, creates our world. I notice that you frequently use negative talk about yourself. "I think I know why I am pretty badly mentally ill" stop telling yourself that! The truth is that if you would want to let go of being "pretty badly mentally ill", all you have to do is change your beliefs about being it and you could basically choose to snap your fingers and instantly let go of this idea, instead of having to reason why you are it. Of course this is much easier said than done, but we create our reality and the only person who can make you mentally ill is you. You telling yourself that you are mentally ill makes you mentally ill. This is why it's good that you are using affirmations for example. They work to some extent but what is even more effective than saying affirmations a few times, is changing the way you speak and think about yourself as a whole.

I'm confident that a "pretty badly mentally ill" person is not who you want or need to be to achieve the goals that you set out for yourself, so view yourself as the person who you need to be to achieve your goals. Speak positively about yourself and take action on the things you set out to do in spite of how you feel or how much you might overthink it. Then it will slowly become you!

Again, this is easier said than done but change your language and you can change your identity. Therapy is very important and I wouldn't even take you on as a client in your current stage because that is the first step, but I do hope I was able to help you in some way!

All the best.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Nothing good will come out from externalizing your problems i.e blaming your shitty parents, the school kids that bullied you, or whatever. So don't.
I 100% agree with you that having a victim mentality and being like "things out of my control happened to me and now I can't fix them, poor me", it's an awful outlook to have and won't help you with anything. I guess I didn't explain properly but what I meant to say when I wrote that was that: I know the reasons for why I am the way I am and I have these problems, soo now I can start actually dealing with the problem instead of ignoring it and treating it like it doesn't exist.
Dude, no matter what has happened to you, NEVER ever go for the victim mentality. I don't personally care if you complain so I'm saying this 100% for your own good.
For sure, having an "external locus of control" is the fastlane to making yourself miserable, but I definitely forget this sometimes.
How much $ would you need to do that regularly i.e travelling and playing sports? Is it really $84 000 per month?
No, having $1M yields $5K a month with 0.5% monthly interest which is pretty normal for a decent fund/investment. That is obviously without taxes and things, so after I'll probably be left with closer to $3K which is a pretty normal amount of money to be making where I live. I just think the $1M would be something cool to work towards and have achieved rather than a be-all-end all and the final word in anything. (edit) Sorry, I think I misunderstood you, I'm not planning on making $1M every year, the plan is to make it once then save and invest all of it.

The thing I like though, is that I can do a lot of the stuff that I said, I think the main thing the money would be able to do is give me more freedom and choice between things.

Thanks for adding to the value of the thread :)

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
No, having $1M yields $5K a month with 0.5% monthly interest which is pretty normal for a decent fund/investment. That is obviously without taxes and things, so after I'll probably be left with closer to $3K which is a pretty normal amount of money to be making where I live. I just think the $1M would be something cool to work towards and have achieved rather than a be-all-end all and the final word in anything. (edit) Sorry, I think I misunderstood you, I'm not planning on making $1M every year, the plan is to make it once then save and invest all of it.

So you're looking for security. There is none and there never will be.

That bank that's holding your $1M and paying you interest can go bankrupt and you'd lose 99% of your money.

The economy could crash and your $1M becomes 50 bucks.

Getting $5K per month by just lending your money sounds cool. But not exercising your ability to make money, or, better yet, make OTHER people money is bound to bite you in the a$$ when shit hits the fan and you are right back to where you started.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
So you're looking for security. There is none and there never will be.

That bank that's holding your $1M and paying you interest can go bankrupt and you'd lose 99% of your money.

The economy could crash and your $1M becomes 50 bucks.

Getting $5K per month by just lending your money sounds cool. But not exercising your ability to make money, or, better yet, make OTHER people money is bound to bite you in the a$$ when shit hits the fan and you are right back to where you started.
I'd say I'm just looking for freedom tbh, freedom from having to work a 9/5 job and a mortgage and using up all of my time. I think I did mention that I still want to be working and stuff if I get to $1M as well.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Day 29 | Balance $953.08 | 3/5/22

Same stuff really, not doing much work on the business tbh, just trying to get other stuff in order, still always thinking about it and the ideas I have though.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Day 30 | Balance $957.98 | 4/5/22

Yes again, just focusing on other things besides purely business at the moment, but always working towards that as the end goal, and yes I will probably make this type of post a lot while I'm trying to do this. I have other problems but I honestly just don't think this is the best place to get help with them, for entrepreneurial problems and the 95% of ones related to them, this is definitely the place but not for everything.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Day 31 | Balance $950.21 | 5/5/22

Same things as the other posts, I'm trying to pick up another few jobs here and there to:
- Fund my entrepreneurial pursuits
- Force me to schedule my time and get better at skills like communication(this is just something I've found from personal experience, may not be true for everybody)

I'm also kind of struggling to do the habits as well that I started earlier now, it's just quite easy to slip and then not do them again after missing some. I think the strategy should probably be to reduce the number that I'm doing. When you're low on motivation as well, knowing that you have a lot to do(and that you could potentially ruin your streak if you don't do it) is quite demotivating, ironically avoidance of this problem was the very reason that I first decided to implement them.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Day 32 | Balance $947.19 | 6/5/22

I'm basically just waiting on lots of stuff now, that once I do should really help me focus more and get back on track. I like the idea of working a bit more on this thread itself and just setting out what I want it to be specifically. Obviously not a lot is happening on the business side of things, but I don't want it to deviate to much into other less relevant things. I really like the idea of showing my progress on what I'm working on in terms of business ideas, showing screenshots, mock-ups and prototypes and really getting some help and feedback on that.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Day 33 | Balance $953.83 | 7/5/22

Similar as before again, school, work, work on myself and get help. Summer is also coming up quite soon and I think that is probably a really great opportunity to go into this with full force and very quickly iterate on ideas without having to worry about much else.

I also feel like where I am physically is somewhat limiting and that I really need an environment change to actually hunker down and do some serious work, but I'm not sure about what I could do, I could spend some time re-organising my room and making it look and feel like a different environment but that would be kind of expensive and may not even work, maybe I could try and stay with a relative or something for some time and try that. Alternatively I could also just find a place in the town closest to where I live like a library or coffee shop and try and do lots of stuff there but that does limit things in terms of time and money also.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Day 34 | Balance $961.39 | 8/5/22

Easily passed a month doing this now, fascinating to look back on how my thinking has changed and how my position is different from before, the things I'd tell myself etc. I might try and see if anyone else is trying to do a similar challenge to this and the problems they've faced.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi man, so I stumbled on your post and I just want to give you some ideas in regards to your mental health struggles.

I've had a very similar internal dialogue with myself in the past and had a very bad childhood as well, but I've overcome it nearly completely. On top of that I'm a professional in regards to coaching and helping people break through limiting beliefs and such, so it should be of value. Do keep in mind that coaching is not therapy and definitely is not a replacement for it. So use the tools that I'm about to give you as a "supplement".

From what people say about their situations, you can pretty easily tell how a person sees their world. Always remember that how we see our world, creates our world. I notice that you frequently use negative talk about yourself. "I think I know why I am pretty badly mentally ill" stop telling yourself that! The truth is that if you would want to let go of being "pretty badly mentally ill", all you have to do is change your beliefs about being it and you could basically choose to snap your fingers and instantly let go of this idea, instead of having to reason why you are it. Of course this is much easier said than done, but we create our reality and the only person who can make you mentally ill is you. You telling yourself that you are mentally ill makes you mentally ill. This is why it's good that you are using affirmations for example. They work to some extent but what is even more effective than saying affirmations a few times, is changing the way you speak and think about yourself as a whole.

I'm confident that a "pretty badly mentally ill" person is not who you want or need to be to achieve the goals that you set out for yourself, so view yourself as the person who you need to be to achieve your goals. Speak positively about yourself and take action on the things you set out to do in spite of how you feel or how much you might overthink it. Then it will slowly become you!

Again, this is easier said than done but change your language and you can change your identity. Therapy is very important and I wouldn't even take you on as a client in your current stage because that is the first step, but I do hope I was able to help you in some way!

All the best.
Hi Jasper,

Thanks for looking at my thread and giving your feedback, and I think you've made some good points, but I do also disagree with you one others.

I've had a very similar internal dialogue with myself in the past and had a very bad childhood as well, but I've overcome it nearly completely.

That's good to hear and I'm a very big believer of the idea that you shouldn't take advice from someone that doesn't have the results that you want and the fact that you have overcome those things is amazing.

From what people say about their situations, you can pretty easily tell how a person sees their world. Always remember that how we see our world, creates our world. I notice that you frequently use negative talk about yourself. "I think I know why I am pretty badly mentally ill" stop telling yourself that!

I disagree with the one though, to be totally honest, I completely understand where you're coming from that you what you say and believe is your reality, it's all about perspective etc, etc. However I wouldn't say that saying "I'm pretty badly mentally ill" is negative self talk, I just feel it's kind of accurate to me at this specific point in time. I mean I could say it in a million different ways like "My thinking patterns are not cohesive to making the life I want" or "There are some mental barriers for me to overcome and work on, but once I do I will be happier".

The reason I say this is because I think I've done the opposite for a long time, and denied that there were any problems to the point of not being able to recognise and work on them. I'd say there is a difference between positive reframing and denial, I can say I have some problems to work through but that does not define my future, but I can still say that I have problems! Sure, saying "I'm severely mentally ill" isn't the most positive and it could be better, but it does take into account the degree that these things are affecting my life, and validates them to the point of being able to fix and work on them more seriously, hence with more effort.

I think lots of mental illnesses specifically are actually quite physiological as well and having them means your brain is literally physically structured in a different way from people without them, and it takes time and effort to work on and there aren't many instant fixes(although some things like medication can help a lot in a short amount of time dependant on the person). But you can absolutely make things better by having a better, more optimistic outlook and improve your mood if it's bad(which is not the same as a mental illness but is often related). Being optimistic and having a good perspective is also crucial to actual recovery I'd say as well.

I'd say that negative self talk is more stuff like "I'm not good enough", "I'm broken" or "My situation is hopeless", which are VERY subjective and have little bearing on reality. Saying someone is severely mentally ill however could be a decision reached through logic like looking at their recent behaviour and comparing that to diagnostic information, not that I'm in any way qualified to do that.

You telling yourself that you are mentally ill makes you mentally ill. This is why it's good that you are using affirmations for example. They work to some extent but what is even more effective than saying affirmations a few times, is changing the way you speak and think about yourself as a whole.

Again, I don't think it does. If someone that's paralysed said they're not, does it make them not paralysed - well maybe because they have altered their subjective reality and changed the definition of paralysed for them, but to everyone else they are functionally paralysed. You can use metrics like "can this person walk?" to gauge if someone is paralysed and there are other metrics you can use for mental illness as well I suppose. But yeah it's a tricky one and the placebo effect for mental illness medications in general is really really high which makes sense all things considered.

Fair enough. Yeah, I mean I suppose it's hard to work out someone's entire perspective and understanding of a situation from a single post but thanks for your feedback anyways, obviously this sort of discussion also deviates a lot from most of the content on the Fastlane so it's hard to get all the right information and context around it, and I think in the future I might not go into this sort of thing as much for that reason. Wishing you the best and this really did help remind me of the importance of perspective so thank you for that.

Last edited:

JasperDeMuynck

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 12, 2022
Hi Jasper,

Thanks for looking at my thread and giving your feedback, and I think you've made some good points, but I do also disagree with you one others.

That's good to hear and I'm a very big believer of the idea that you shouldn't take advice from someone that doesn't have the results that you want and the fact that you have overcome those things is amazing.

I disagree with the one though, to be totally honest, I completely understand where you're coming from that you what you say and believe is your reality, it's all about perspective etc, etc. However I wouldn't say that saying "I'm pretty badly mentally ill" is negative self talk, I just feel it's kind of accurate to me at this specific point in time. I mean I could say it in a million different ways like "My thinking patterns are not cohesive to making the life I want" or "There are some mental barriers for me to overcome and work on, but once I do I will be happier".

The reason I say this is because I think I've done the opposite for a long time, and denied that there were any problems to the point of not being able to recognise and work on them. I'd say there is a difference between positive reframing and denial, I can say I have some problems to work through but that does not define my future, but I can still say that I have problems! Sure, saying "I'm severely mentally ill" isn't the most positive and it could be better, but it does take into account the degree that these things are affecting my life, and validates them to the point of being able to fix and work on them more seriously, hence with more effort.

I think lots of mental illnesses specifically are actually quite physiological as well and having them means your brain is literally physically structured in a different way from people without them, and it takes time and effort to work on and there aren't many instant fixes(although some things like medication can help a lot in a short amount of time dependant on the person). But you can absolutely make things better by having a better, more optimistic outlook and improve your mood if it's bad(which is not the same as a mental illness but is often related). Being optimistic and having a good perspective is also crucial to actual recovery I'd say as well.

I'd say that negative self talk is more stuff like "I'm not good enough", "I'm broken" or "My situation is hopeless", which are VERY subjective and have little bearing on reality. Saying someone is severely mentally ill however could be a decision reached through logic like looking at their recent behaviour and comparing that to diagnostic information, not that I'm in any way qualified to do that.

Again, I don't think it does. If someone that's paralysed said they're not, does it make them not paralysed - well maybe because they have altered their subjective reality and changed the definition of paralysed for them, but to everyone else they are functionally paralysed. You can use metrics like "can this person walk?" to gauge if someone is paralysed and there are other metrics you can use for mental illness as well I suppose. But yeah it's a tricky one and the placebo effect for mental illness medications in general is really really high which makes sense all things considered.

Fair enough. Yeah, I mean I suppose it's hard to work out someone's entire perspective and understanding of a situation from a single post but thanks for your feedback anyways, obviously this sort of discussion also deviates a lot from most of the content on the Fastlane so it's hard to get all the right information and context around it, and I think in the future I might not go into this sort of thing as much for that reason. Wishing you the best and this really did help remind me of the importance of perspective so thank you for that.

Hey man! Good stuff staying consistent with your updates.

You definitely brought an interesting perspective, and got me to think. Yes maybe saying you are "mentally ill" is different from stuff like "I'm not good enough". Denial is definitely also not a good thing either so that's something I'll take into consideration going forward.

I will say this. You talk about the difference between self-talk that is subjective and self-talk that is based on reality and the physiological changes that occur through mental illness. What I think is interesting about that is that although that IS a great point, we can impact our physiology a whole lot more than we think. Look at someone with multiple personality disorder being able to change their body as they transition to a different personality (eye colour change for example). Our minds and our bodies are very much connected and I would say it's likely that by changing our mental state we can change the physiology you spoke of as well.

Anyways, what you were sharing simply resonated with what I dealt with in the past, so wanted to share what has worked for me in dealing with my own stuff. I don't actually work with people in a similar situation, so of course I can only speak from my own experience. But you're smart, so I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Sega Saph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 17, 2021
Russia
Yeah, where are you disappear? Man, I am continue to reading your thread. Do not worry about your portfolio!

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
@krypticsilver

When things get difficult the worst thing you can do is quit. The best thing you can do is endure and overcome.

It's easy to get into the habit of thinking you're the only person in the world suffering in the exact way you are, but that's false. You're not special and neither are your problems.

Come back dude.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
@krypticsilver

When things get difficult the worst thing you can do is quit. The best thing you can do is endure and overcome.

It's easy to get into the habit of thinking you're the only person in the world suffering in the exact way you are, but that's false. You're not special and neither are your problems.

Come back dude.
Whatever your problems, you always have to know that there is someone somewhere who has more problems than you. Moreover, these problems are not as critical as that. At least he gets to recognize his problems and tries to deal with them. .so he just has to come back to the family. Because we miss him already.

krypticsilver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Hey, haven't posted here in a while but just wanted to say:
- I stopped posting because the posts weren't as useful as I'd expected and the accountability didn't really help me with my goals as much as other things, however I am quite glad I made them, even if only to try out something which didn't end up working out the way I'd hoped.
- I am still working on things and have this as an ambition, although I've realised it's good to set other goal checkpoints as well
- Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and support, wishing you the best luck with your own projects.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Hey, haven't posted here in a while but just wanted to say:
- I stopped posting because the posts weren't as useful as I'd expected and the accountability didn't really help me with my goals as much as other things, however I am quite glad I made them, even if only to try out something which didn't end up working out the way I'd hoped.
- I am still working on things and have this as an ambition, although I've realised it's good to set other goal checkpoints as well
- Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and support, wishing you the best luck with your own projects.

You gonna stick around?

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012

Anyway, in regards to your ideal life, are you sure you need 1M to live it out? Because I'm not even doing 6 figures per year and yet I'm doing everything you mentioned in your checklist:

• I've got a lot of free time to do whatever I feel like. 95% + of my daily time, in fact
  • I travel with my girl basically wherever and whenever we choose
  • I generally feel quite fulfilled as my work is adding a lot of value to my clients (7-8 figures in contributions for a few of them)
  • I work out every day and frequently go karting and sim-racing - unfortunately, this is something a lot of people cannot afford even if it's not that expensive. But with my decent earnings, I can
So my advice? Don't chase an arbitrary number in your bank account. Focus on adding value and automating most of your work (and a SaaS would definitely allow you to do so).

Oh, and enjoy yourself. Because as it stands, you sound an awful lot like someone who thinks that money will magically bring them the life they desire.. or severely overestimating the money they'll require to do the things they want to do.

Where do you want to travel? Check out the plane tickets and cost for accommodation, food, and entertainment. Think of the sport(s) you want to partake in.

This. You can only control how you react to things. The rest is noise.

D

Deleted115974

Yo buddy keep going. I am also 17 y/o from India, I am almost gonna be a senior SWE at a startup, I also have similar savings. I think that working for 9-5 for sometime as a dev is pretty useful, you learn a lot, a LOT, skills gooo to the moooon, it's not that bad. Also for the parents part, yes, it sucks when people don't believe, happens same to me, so embrace it.
A Quote regarding this:
Your dreams are very small if people do not laugh and get perplexed by them.

You just gave me again the motivation to work on my projects on weekends, which I had abandoned a while ago.
I'd say I'm just looking for freedom tbh, freedom from having to work a 9/5 job and a mortgage and using up all of my time. I think I did mention that I still want to be working and stuff if I get to $1M as well.

P.S. Hit me up if you feel like I can be a help

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.