The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to turn a successful side gig into a real business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Short version: I've created a successful Freelance videography side gig, making an extra $500-$1000+ a month, And i need some advice on taking it to the next level. I think I would like to take a marketing agency approach since I have experience with both Directing, Filming, And editing videos, as well as marketing and running ads on social media. I have a lot of connections in the barbering and hair industry, and I know some people in the nightlife/restaurant industry here in the Chicago area. What would you do in my situation?

Longer version:

In April this year I picked up a camera. I didn't know how to use it, And my only plan was to use it for taking pictures of my haircuts to post on Instagram.

Fast forward 7 months and I've turned my camera into a really cool side hustle, and an opportunity to connect with some really amazing people.

I actually got started doing this by complete accident. Like i said, I picked up a camera earlier this year with the intent to take pictures of my haircuts and put them on Instagram. One day at barber school it was slow, So i asked a friend of mine if I could record him cutting hair to try out the video mode on my camera.

I edited together a little video for him and he loved it, So much so that he paid me $40. He actually had to beg me to allow me to pay him, because I didn't feel like I really did anything for him. I enjoyed recording and editing, so It was fun for me.

I started posting videos that I was making to instagram, and people started to notice, and ask me to make them videos. I also showed up at events in the industry with my camera, and made haircutting videos for people, that they could post on their social media and use to promote them selves. I didn't ask for money, because they didn't ask me to record them, But a lot of the time after they saw the finished product, they would offer me money. I look at this strategy as an investment, because I can get paying clients months down the line for the time I invested.

Now I charge at least $250 for a video, And over the course of the past 7-8 months, I've made around $3500. And not one second of it felt like work.

The problem:

In its current form, this is a side hustle. I am a freelancer. I am the business. I'm doing all of the work, and my client acquisition strategy is essentially wait for people to hit me up. While it's fun to travel around, meet people, get invited to cool events and businesses, and get paid to do it, I know that I want to take this to the next level and make some serious money, and build something that has value. I don't want to just be a guy with a camera. I have the opportunity to build this into a fastlane business, Charging clients 10s or 100s of thousands per project, having an office with employees, and becoming a well known name within the industry.

The issues I want to deal with : Making things more automated. Right now I'm a freelancer. I do all of the work and all of the travel, Including Directing, filming, Photography, and editing. I like filming and being on location, So If I could have other people handle the rest, That would be ideal. I also like the marketing side of things, and I have a lot of experience running FB campaigns. I could potentially consult with clients after making a video and help them advertise it to bring them more business, for a monthly retainer.

Also, I want to work with companies and people that actually have a budget for my services. I'm not trying to work with sound cloud rappers who want a music video filmed, directed and edited for $50 (I get people asking for this weekly).

What would you do in my situation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I would start selling! The only thing between a legitimate offering, and customers’ money, is a compelling reason to buy. So give it to them.

So that’s what I would do. I would put together a coherent offering of all of your services and begin selling it. Set some goals. Another $1000 a month. Then another. Then another. Then another $5000. Then your first full time employee. Then invest in some advertising. Then parlay your influence and opportunity observation from the trenches into something amazing. Just start the cycle!

Go make millions. You absolutely can.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
I think where it would be extremely beneficial for you to hire someone who is very good at editing. Focus in bringing in more work, you take care of the camera part, while you have a part time taking care of the editing part. I would hold on from getting a small office, it would just be unnecessary overhead cost. I think photography and videography is a cool business where you can potentially pull clients from anywhere allowing you to travel. Get a website, focus on marketing and advertising.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.