Short version: I've created a successful Freelance videography side gig, making an extra $500-$1000+ a month, And i need some advice on taking it to the next level. I think I would like to take a marketing agency approach since I have experience with both Directing, Filming, And editing videos, as well as marketing and running ads on social media. I have a lot of connections in the barbering and hair industry, and I know some people in the nightlife/restaurant industry here in the Chicago area. What would you do in my situation?
Longer version:
In April this year I picked up a camera. I didn't know how to use it, And my only plan was to use it for taking pictures of my haircuts to post on Instagram.
Fast forward 7 months and I've turned my camera into a really cool side hustle, and an opportunity to connect with some really amazing people.
I actually got started doing this by complete accident. Like i said, I picked up a camera earlier this year with the intent to take pictures of my haircuts and put them on Instagram. One day at barber school it was slow, So i asked a friend of mine if I could record him cutting hair to try out the video mode on my camera.
I edited together a little video for him and he loved it, So much so that he paid me $40. He actually had to beg me to allow me to pay him, because I didn't feel like I really did anything for him. I enjoyed recording and editing, so It was fun for me.
I started posting videos that I was making to instagram, and people started to notice, and ask me to make them videos. I also showed up at events in the industry with my camera, and made haircutting videos for people, that they could post on their social media and use to promote them selves. I didn't ask for money, because they didn't ask me to record them, But a lot of the time after they saw the finished product, they would offer me money. I look at this strategy as an investment, because I can get paying clients months down the line for the time I invested.
Now I charge at least $250 for a video, And over the course of the past 7-8 months, I've made around $3500. And not one second of it felt like work.
The problem:
In its current form, this is a side hustle. I am a freelancer. I am the business. I'm doing all of the work, and my client acquisition strategy is essentially wait for people to hit me up. While it's fun to travel around, meet people, get invited to cool events and businesses, and get paid to do it, I know that I want to take this to the next level and make some serious money, and build something that has value. I don't want to just be a guy with a camera. I have the opportunity to build this into a fastlane business, Charging clients 10s or 100s of thousands per project, having an office with employees, and becoming a well known name within the industry.
The issues I want to deal with : Making things more automated. Right now I'm a freelancer. I do all of the work and all of the travel, Including Directing, filming, Photography, and editing. I like filming and being on location, So If I could have other people handle the rest, That would be ideal. I also like the marketing side of things, and I have a lot of experience running FB campaigns. I could potentially consult with clients after making a video and help them advertise it to bring them more business, for a monthly retainer.
Also, I want to work with companies and people that actually have a budget for my services. I'm not trying to work with sound cloud rappers who want a music video filmed, directed and edited for $50 (I get people asking for this weekly).
What would you do in my situation?
Longer version:
In April this year I picked up a camera. I didn't know how to use it, And my only plan was to use it for taking pictures of my haircuts to post on Instagram.
Fast forward 7 months and I've turned my camera into a really cool side hustle, and an opportunity to connect with some really amazing people.
I actually got started doing this by complete accident. Like i said, I picked up a camera earlier this year with the intent to take pictures of my haircuts and put them on Instagram. One day at barber school it was slow, So i asked a friend of mine if I could record him cutting hair to try out the video mode on my camera.
I edited together a little video for him and he loved it, So much so that he paid me $40. He actually had to beg me to allow me to pay him, because I didn't feel like I really did anything for him. I enjoyed recording and editing, so It was fun for me.
I started posting videos that I was making to instagram, and people started to notice, and ask me to make them videos. I also showed up at events in the industry with my camera, and made haircutting videos for people, that they could post on their social media and use to promote them selves. I didn't ask for money, because they didn't ask me to record them, But a lot of the time after they saw the finished product, they would offer me money. I look at this strategy as an investment, because I can get paying clients months down the line for the time I invested.
Now I charge at least $250 for a video, And over the course of the past 7-8 months, I've made around $3500. And not one second of it felt like work.
The problem:
In its current form, this is a side hustle. I am a freelancer. I am the business. I'm doing all of the work, and my client acquisition strategy is essentially wait for people to hit me up. While it's fun to travel around, meet people, get invited to cool events and businesses, and get paid to do it, I know that I want to take this to the next level and make some serious money, and build something that has value. I don't want to just be a guy with a camera. I have the opportunity to build this into a fastlane business, Charging clients 10s or 100s of thousands per project, having an office with employees, and becoming a well known name within the industry.
The issues I want to deal with : Making things more automated. Right now I'm a freelancer. I do all of the work and all of the travel, Including Directing, filming, Photography, and editing. I like filming and being on location, So If I could have other people handle the rest, That would be ideal. I also like the marketing side of things, and I have a lot of experience running FB campaigns. I could potentially consult with clients after making a video and help them advertise it to bring them more business, for a monthly retainer.
Also, I want to work with companies and people that actually have a budget for my services. I'm not trying to work with sound cloud rappers who want a music video filmed, directed and edited for $50 (I get people asking for this weekly).
What would you do in my situation?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
