The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I wanna convince my dad to read the millionare fastlane.

G

Guest06194gh

Ever since I read the millionare fastlane months ago I would tell my dad to read it over and over again, tell him the things demarco taught me and just beat it into his skull about how he's smarter than me and could probably benefit from it even more than me. But I can't get him to read it, I went to a dentist appointment today and we were there for like 3 hours. He didn't even get past chapter 1....... So I thought lets try a different approach, if you have the time and would like to help me, write down how the millionare fastlane changed your life and what it taught you. Doesn't have to be fully in depth but it can be, my dad loves reading and getting information.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wanna convince your dad to read a book that you found inspirational?

Change your life. Create visible results that your dad can see.

Until then, your dad has every right to pass on any book you recommend.

Talk is cheap.
Done beats doubt.

And right now, you have ZERO DONE, and ALL DOUBT.

So quit trying to convince people to read books that you yourself haven't implemented.

Until then, you might as well be telling everyone you're gonna be the next President or Taylor Swift.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Talk is cheap.
Done beats doubt.

So quit trying to convince people to read books that you yourself haven't implemented.

Until then, you might as well be telling everyone you're gonna be the next President or Taylor Swift.

100%

the best way to convince anyone of anything is to be such a compelling example that they ask you how they did it

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Ever since I read the millionare fastlane months ago I would tell my dad to read it over and over again, tell him the things demarco taught me and just beat it into his skull about how he's smarter than me and could probably benefit from it even more than me. But I can't get him to read it, I went to a dentist appointment today and we were there for like 3 hours. He didn't even get past chapter 1....... So I thought lets try a different approach, if you have the time and would like to help me, write down how the millionare fastlane changed your life and what it taught you. Doesn't have to be fully in depth but it can be, my dad loves reading and getting information.
I remember doing that too, and I can tell you're excited. I tried to get him to read TMF a year ago but then I gave up. Now I'm doing something and actually helping the family with money. Now I don't have any desire to get him to read the book.

Best Move?

Move on. Get results. Help your family. Your dad has shouldered many responsibilites already and its time you start helping.

G

Guest06194gh

Talk is cheap.
Done beats doubt.

Fair argument Mr Demarco. I showed my dad this post and you

Talk is cheap.
Done beats doubt.

Until then, you might as well be telling everyone you're gonna be the next President or Tay

Talk is cheap.
Done beats doubt.

I must admit MR Demarco you do make a point, but I must disagree with your methods, not in some kinda gotcha way but in alternate routes. I sat down with my dad on my bed and talked to him about this outta the blue, I told him about my post and how you responded. And he says to me that I've greased his wheels up, right now as we speak he is watching a hour long interview between you and some guy. I'm gonna say something that might get me banned but I'm ok with that cause I wanna be honest. alotta times when I think about you and how you respond to post, I think your a total asswipe, just a through and through douchebag. But I think that was just me coping, I see a lot of myself in you. You take shit from no one, you give 100% tough love honesty. You rule the kingdom you've created. Helped me and my dad improve our lives, so for that I give you thanks for some respect. I would say this is just me admitting what a lil bitch I had been on this forum, but that changes.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
What is the reason you want to do this? To prove him wrong about something? To get his permission? Even if you become a millionaire he might still not be convinced. What would you do then? Do things for yourself and don't wait for validation from others.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Fair argument Mr Demarco. I showed my dad this post .....
one of the best posts of the year. and not just for giving @MJ DeMarco grief. lol
you actually went and F*cking tried something AND came back with a humble attitude and information for us.
you and your dad's relationship just changed. proud of you!

i'm with @MJ DeMarco on his first reply, for most people you 'show your Dad' by living an amazing life and producing greatly.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I must admit MR Demarco you do make a point, but I must disagree with your methods, not in some kinda gotcha way but in alternate routes. I sat down with my dad on my bed and talked to him about this outta the blue, I told him about my post and how you responded. And he says to me that I've greased his wheels up, right now as we speak he is watching a hour long interview between you and some guy. I'm gonna say something that might get me banned but I'm ok with that cause I wanna be honest. alotta times when I think about you and how you respond to post, I think your a total asswipe, just a through and through douchebag. But I think that was just me coping, I see a lot of myself in you. You take shit from no one, you give 100% tough love honesty. You rule the kingdom you've created. Helped me and my dad improve our lives, so for that I give you thanks for some respect. I would say this is just me admitting what a lil bitch I had been on this forum, but that changes.

"One day you'll see things my way, because you're smart and I'm right" - MJ, probably

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I have been classmates with a very obese guy since grade 3. We’ve always been ok good terms.

In September, I started hitting the gym and one day I saw him sitting in the gym lobby.

I asked him, what are you up to here? Working out?

He said he was waiting for his mom to finish her shift there.

I talked to him for a bit and we planned that the next day we’d go to the gym together right after school.

Note: he has a free membership since his mom works there.

The next day we went together after school.
We were talking about our fitness goals and he was educated on how to lose weight as he was watching YouTube videos on it all summer but never got into the gym.

We hit an amazing workout and even went the next day.

He was 300 pounds and 5’6. Mind you he just turned 15.

This was my new gym bro. A simple push of having a friend going with him got him into the gym. We had another great workout and planned to go again the next day.

The next day comes and he tells me that he can’t go because x. I say ok, I’m looking forward to tomorrow so we can go together again. Next day he says the same thing.

Like the person I am, I tried motivating him for the whole next few months. I would try talking about our goals and how nice it will be to achieve them. I was telling him these cliche motivational speech lines but everyday it was another excuse. Of course after that he had the excuse of “I have too much homework”. (We’re in the same classes and I have higher grades while still going to the gym and running a business.) BULLSHIT

He hasn’t been to the gym since. I’m guessing that he quit since he didn’t see results after 2 days. Aka: laziness.

This has happened many times. I even bought another one of my friends a membership once to kill his “I don’t have money for the gym” excuse.

You can take a horse to the water but you can’t make it drink.

You can’t force people to do anything. You can give them a push at the start by taking them to the water but if they don’t wanna commit by drinking it, you can’t force them. Go on to the next horse.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I get where your coming from, Ive tried to get my friends to start their businesses, always the same excuses, “I’m too young”, “you need like 500k to start a business!”, etc.

I’ve proved them wrong.

I told them what I’m doing right now, how I have everything set up.

One of them goes “Can I get some of that money?”

He did nothing, he actually laughed at me when I said I was starting my own business.

Now I’ve gotten a family member to start reading the books,

the only reason why though is because they wanted to,

they just couldn’t find a book like that.

I gave them MJ’s first book, TMFL, and they are interested in the second one.

They want to actually check out this forum.

It’s reminds me of my other post…

Yeah, that’s honestly perfect example.

I asked one of my friends if they want to go the gym with me, they said sure.

I asked another, he said sure.

I asked a third and he said no and I realized he wasn’t willing to go that far.

I thought these 2 friends would be inconsistent, weve gone 3x in 3 days.

I push them, like “one more etc” they keep going.

Heck they are starting to plan dates without me, but they just needed me to get the wheels running,

its like teaching a kid to ride a bike.

You hold on, walk with them, they begin to pedal, you have to jog, then run, then you let go and they zoom.

But sometimes, some kids don’t want to learn to ride a bike, whether it’s not in their interest (working out or videogames?) or they have other things they want to do (Healthy eating or that pack of Doritos?)

Or they’re just not ready.

Im happy with my friends, they’re happy with their decisions, it’s a win win.

Now imagine in another world if one of my friends and I had to go to the other ones house, knock on the door, parents let us in and we legit have to drag our friend out of bed.

They’d say “go without me, I’ll be there in 10.”

and they never show

Almost like a prisoner trying to escape, as soon as a guard shows up, they’ll change up their act, but once the guards leave, they keep digging.

Now what you did was ask everyone for their honest reviews of the book, they were all positive then your dad believed this.

Its like Mouth 2 mouth.

Nice job though, it might seem a bit odd to tell someone older than you what they should do.

You don’t have to succeed to show them the change in you though.

Sometimes they can just see the mental shift or something.

That was enough for my family member to believe me.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think your a total asswipe

Helped me and my dad improve our lives

Is this some newfound sales tactic?

Brutally insult someone, and then ask them to help you?

As for helping you, I've written 3 books with over 50 hours of material to help you (or anyone who wants it.)

I can give you a roadmap to the buried treasure. But I'm not going to chauffeur you there in a limousine with your expectation of me digging.

StefanCole11

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 17, 2023
Serbia, City of nish
I had the same problem BUT with another book. And yes, I get results from it almost a year ago I wanted to change my life, and one decision was to start reading books.

before TMF I read Atomic Habits. This book helped me to make a habit of reading books, without this I don't think that I would ever find this forum and MJ DeMarco's great books.

But maybe even more important I stopped drinking and smoking cigarettes (about 8 months now).

Through I fell down a couple of times and people around me (also my father) almost laughed at me.

What Did I do? I proved them wrong.

And now, more than a year after finishing that book, they keep their mouth shut.

When I recommend them again, they always find reasons why not to.

You can take a horse to the water but you can’t make it drink.

Instead of convincing them to do something that they don't wanna, try to give them knowledge through your mouth. Of course that they will get like 5% from all knowledge.

But you love them, and 5% is better than 0?

And in the worst case, give up. Time that you spent convincing him to read, you can spend on making more money and helping yourself(and him out).

Some (read it most) people just don't want to change.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
NsBQX0i.gif

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Why? Why are you wasting your time? You can't change your dad. Even if he reads the book, he won't put his heart into it and then put the information into practice. Get up and go on... cheerfully and with great purpose. Be a shining example of what is possible.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
And folks... the moral of the story is.... If you "wanna" convince someone to do something, you've already failed.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
And folks... the moral of the story is.... If you "wanna" convince someone to do something, you've already failed.

But I really, really, really wanna zig-a-zig ah.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.