The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I try, I fail, I try again. Recurring pattern going on 10 years

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
One problem I believe most of us deal with is being able to accurately determine whether a business needs more time and effort before a breakthrough happens or if it's pointless.

The possibility that you may be wasting years of your life when you could do something else because of no feedback to the contrary is incredibly tough to deal with.

The fact is when we lay down a venture once and for all, we don't really know how close or far away we were from success.

So my suggestion would be to go back and review all the businesses you have tried in the past. With your current experience, if you attempt them again, you may find something you weren't able to see many years ago.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
As I learned more I decided to stick closer to my skills and built a couple of dropshipping stores, then eventually a software plugins business which I sold. I built a car parts website, an event booking system, a website for artists to share their work, a football game, a community for gamers. Recently I built another software plugins business but it isn't having the success of the other one. Some of these things I've done around my full time job, others I have quit my job to focus on. I've also tried a few really small things I wouldn't really count as full businesses such as affiliate marketing and building an ad-supported content site for one of my hobbies.

I think lots of failed simply because I was unable to attract enough customers. Maybe others are solving a problem that didnt exist. Or going into areas that the competition was high and much better than what I built.

You're thinking too small. Go after much bigger things, your time spend will be the same.

peacemaker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
May 6, 2013
Thanks guys for the extra feedback. Definitely agree with Ayanle about that worry about deciding when is the right time to determine if a business will succeed or needs more effort, I have had that a lot over the past few years.

And Brander, yes, recently I have been coming up with a few much BIGGER things. After all, if you're going to spend all this time and effort on something it might as well be something worthwhile.

Since I made this post I actually started running a new business that really does meet a need this time. It already gives me a comfortable salary and it's only the beginning. I think I have come at it differently this time, in no small part to some of the people in this thread, so thank you all again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
why do you want money in the first place ?

life is not about money and material things

life is about meaning, you running rabbit

if you don't know what the meaning of life is, i predict that you will run for ever like a rat in cage not knowing what to do with your life

100 % guaranteed

here is a guy who understands the meaning of life :

JOHN REESE - Entrepreneur. Adventurer. Geek.

john reese.png

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
I have several good friends that are running their own businesses and I keep in touch regularly. I have a close friend who I see weekly who is a multi-millionaire from his own business sale. I am also friends with several very wealthy guys who invest in tech startups who I met through my career.

I know exactly what you mean, being with people who have the success you want does give you motivation and understanding that these things are totally possible. These guys are just normal people and often they don't have any special skills, just the motivation and determination to go out and build something for themselves. I'm just like them and have never been afraid of taking risks and starting a business. The only difference is none of my businesses have taken off the way I want them too yet.
I've been with successful guys and they are really just normal people. Heck some people around me think I am successful but really I am just very normal, sometimes people say "this guy is smart" but it's not about being smart, it's about being discipline, most average guys can grow to be good at what they do if they have 1) discipline 2)environment. Environment doesn't necessarily mean a mentor or the luck of hitting on the next great app, but rather working in an effective team or growing company that grows you as a person.

When I got married, I had to dump all of my girlfriends and commit.

I didn't do the same with business.

And I'm paying for it for sure.

Know what I'm sayin'?

I have "shiny object syndrome" worse than a dog chasing a squirrel.

Wow, shit this sums it all. When you find a wife you have to dump all your girlfriends, so when you find a business you have to dump other business hobbies too.

Every time when I try to play with several startups either as another shareholder, or an advisor it usually don't end well. And the best time was always when I lost everything, because then I could really focus and suss out the best opportunity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.