The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Like to post a video from your YouTube channel? Want to promote your design service? Recommend a company? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote whatever you'd like within the realm of entrepreneurship on one central thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

NOTABLE! I try, I fail, I try again. Recurring pattern going on 10 years

Ayanle Farah

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
One problem I believe most of us deal with is being able to accurately determine whether a business needs more time and effort before a breakthrough happens or if it's pointless.

The possibility that you may be wasting years of your life when you could do something else because of no feedback to the contrary is incredibly tough to deal with.

The fact is when we lay down a venture once and for all, we don't really know how close or far away we were from success.

So my suggestion would be to go back and review all the businesses you have tried in the past. With your current experience, if you attempt them again, you may find something you weren't able to see many years ago.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
As I learned more I decided to stick closer to my skills and built a couple of dropshipping stores, then eventually a software plugins business which I sold. I built a car parts website, an event booking system, a website for artists to share their work, a football game, a community for gamers. Recently I built another software plugins business but it isn't having the success of the other one. Some of these things I've done around my full time job, others I have quit my job to focus on. I've also tried a few really small things I wouldn't really count as full businesses such as affiliate marketing and building an ad-supported content site for one of my hobbies.

I think lots of failed simply because I was unable to attract enough customers. Maybe others are solving a problem that didnt exist. Or going into areas that the competition was high and much better than what I built.
You're thinking too small. Go after much bigger things, your time spend will be the same.

OP
OP
P

peacemaker

Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 6, 2013
Thanks guys for the extra feedback. Definitely agree with Ayanle about that worry about deciding when is the right time to determine if a business will succeed or needs more effort, I have had that a lot over the past few years.

And Brander, yes, recently I have been coming up with a few much BIGGER things. After all, if you're going to spend all this time and effort on something it might as well be something worthwhile.

Since I made this post I actually started running a new business that really does meet a need this time. It already gives me a comfortable salary and it's only the beginning. I think I have come at it differently this time, in no small part to some of the people in this thread, so thank you all again.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
why do you want money in the first place ?

life is not about money and material things

life is about meaning, you running rabbit

if you don't know what the meaning of life is, i predict that you will run for ever like a rat in cage not knowing what to do with your life

100 % guaranteed

here is a guy who understands the meaning of life :

JOHN REESE - Entrepreneur. Adventurer. Geek.

john reese.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom