The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I quit exercising

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
So.. I quit exercising in January. My life went to shit. I got fat, had some very strained relationships, and business wasn't flowing in as easily. I quit exercising because my gym started charging $300month, and I was burned out from doing an exercise program that was too intense.

I started weightlifting again in June, 3x per week, sqaut, military press/bench press, deadlift/power clean. I increase the weight 5-10# in each exercise. Its similar to Strong Lifts or Starting Strength. I also do 30 pullups every session as well, Dead hang. When I started I was doing 30 single pullups, now I am doing 6 sets of five.

My goals are a 500# deadlift, 20 deadhang pullups, and a two mile run I have here, in 13 minutes. By March 2013.

So, since I started exercising, I, launched a business, found what I think I should call a girlfriend(who fits my criteria), closed some big deals, and lost about 15#. I have overall been happier and more successful :icon_super: Lesson learned, exercise is critical to my overall wellbeing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted11391

Good on you Puckman

I started powerlifting a few months ago.....bought myself a squat rack, a barbell and about 200kgs of plates and turned my garage into my own little gym!!

Im a bit late starting the sport i suppose at 34, but have my first competition next Saturday where i will be competing in a bench press competition.

Absolutely loving it!!!! The bodyfat is continually coming down, strength is going up and overall it has REALLY helped me feel like a million dollars.

One of the best things ive ever done and well worth the original investment in getting the equipment and weights etc.

Perhaps we can swap notes sometime!!!!

Good luck with the weight lifting and well done on getting back on track

Onwards and upwards!

Brian

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
thanks Brian. Lifting is great, and after trying pretty much everything out there, cycling, crossfit, etc, for me Lifting 3x per week, with some speed workouts after I lift get me in the best shape.

I will lift, then do a short crossfit syle workout, or, kettlebells, or even run. Sometimes on an off day I will run 3 miles.

Would love my own equipment though! I have a couple 24kg kettlebells in my flat, once I get a home I will build a gym.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I do upper body strength training then do cardio jump rope. It helps me manage stress and makes me think better.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
I was on a weight lifting/cardio program before for 12 weeks, with no real focus on one specific field. Now I concentrate mostly on weights and the effects are tremendous.

You burn so much body fat after you are done with the exercises! The trick is, to do multijoint exercises instead of single joint exercises.
The more work you do (F=m*s) the more fat you eventually will burn.

I found that the classic movements, like deathlifts, RDLs, bench presses, clean & presses, are the most effectiv ones.
Its good to hear that more people enjoy the "irons".

As Henry Rollins once said: "They are always there for you, waiting for you to come back, when you need them the most." I am not a big fan of him, but here he's definitly right.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
The combination of those two words (Quit + Exercising) aren't even in my vocabulary. I don't think I've ever gone more than 2 months without working out and that was in the dead of winter, maybe once or twice since I'm 15.

It's great to see that you got back into lifting again. I hope you learned your lesson and keep it in mind the next time you decide to slack off.

I strongly believe in exercise for physical and mental well-being.

When I get bored I try something new or switch my routines a little bit. The past few years, I've been big into big into obstacle races, such as The spartan race, tough mudder, etc...

This year I've been messing around with some crossfit and just recently joined an MMA gym. I've wanted to take MMA classes my whole life. My friend opened one up and I finally decided to give it a shot. I'm only a week in but love it so far. Every class we learn basics and then we do a 30 minutes conditioning session. It's kinda like crossfit. Pretty tough and loving it so far. I'm hoping to stay with MMA for the long run, not to fight, just to learn.

Proper conditioning, along with a well balanced diet, is key to maintaining a high energy lever throughout the day and sleeping properly at night. Without it, I would probably slack off and be lazy.

I'm so accustomed to training now, that I wouldn't know life without it. My motto is "Fir for Life!".

Now if only I can get the wife to do the same! She eats pasta and oreo's all day and still only weighs 100lbs. I keep telling her that it's all going to catch up with her one day.

BTW - How are your eating habits?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
WOW Likwid that is AMAZING streak of working out.

Very admirable!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
WOW Likwid that is AMAZING streak of working out.

Very admirable!

Thanks to you, I added IF to my arsenal! :D

I did an amazing 2 hour MMA session/intense crossfit workout and didn't eat my first meal until I finished at 3pm. It felt great!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
ah I forgot you started IF. It really is amazing to me as well.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
ah I forgot you started IF. It really is amazing to me as well.

You two might as well be talking Swahili, I have no idea what any of the exercises are. What's IF?

I've had problems with my weight ever since the 30s rolled along. Not huge problems, but I am not the sexy beast I used to be by being 13kgs over weight. I eat sparingly, I climb a hill 3 times a week and still I can't lose more than 3 kgs. What is going on? I need to become fitter as it is impacting my blood pressure.

Eating less and exercising more hasn't worked. After exercising I could eat a horse and that's the problem. I'll have to concentrate on diet more, but it's so hard to cut out bread. I mean it, that shit forms an addiction of in the body - I can feel it, so I'll have to just bear it and go completely cold turkey and kill anyone that brings bread into the house :)

Someone who's been slim and fit all their lives doesn't get it. Naturally slim people can eat anything and they're still slim and cannot understand that some of us put pretty much everything we eat into fat. Some of my friends eat like horses and don't exercise at all and are still thin into their 40s. I guess they just waste food :)

People like us have been the peak survivors in the paleolithic times as we could put on fat stores for the lean months easily, but in the modern times it bites us in the a$$ and we have to watch 100x times more what we eat and how we move!

Anyhoo, Patrick I gather you've been training for decades, props on the physique, you really look awesome!

Give me some pointers, guys...

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
What's IF?

Intermittent fasting, which is basically limiting your eating to one fixed time window per day. Different people suggest different time windows, though usually from eight hours down to just having one meal.

I actually like just having one meal in the evening. I feel better and am generally more productive when I eat this way, but it can be hard to fend off constant lunch requests though. However, it doesn't seem to have any affect whatsoever on my weight. As you say, things seem to work a bit differently for people who've always been overweight.

No pointers from me other than move to a country where food is expensive and relatively hard to get hehe. That's the only thing that's made any lasting difference in my weight.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
You two might as well be talking Swahili, I have no idea what any of the exercises are. What's IF?

I've had problems with my weight ever since the 30s rolled along. Not huge problems, but I am not the sexy beast I used to be by being 13kgs over weight. I eat sparingly, I climb a hill 3 times a week and still I can't lose more than 3 kgs. What is going on? I need to become fitter as it is impacting my blood pressure.

Eating less and exercising more hasn't worked. After exercising I could eat a horse and that's the problem. I'll have to concentrate on diet more, but it's so hard to cut out bread. I mean it, that shit forms an addiction of in the body - I can feel it, so I'll have to just bear it and go completely cold turkey and kill anyone that brings bread into the house :)

Someone who's been slim and fit all their lives doesn't get it. Naturally slim people can eat anything and they're still slim and cannot understand that some of us put pretty much everything we eat into fat. Some of my friends eat like horses and don't exercise at all and are still thin into their 40s. I guess they just waste food :)

People like us have been the peak survivors in the paleolithic times as we could put on fat stores for the lean months easily, but in the modern times it bites us in the a$$ and we have to watch 100x times more what we eat and how we move!

Anyhoo, Patrick I gather you've been training for decades, props on the physique, you really look awesome!

Give me some pointers, guys...

oops sorry about that.

Intermittent Fasting. There are all sorts of versions what I personally do is not eat for 16 - 21 hours each day. But I only do that for 2 weeks then flip the switch to trying to gain muscle for 1 - 2 weeks depending upon results.

IF has been show to keep blood sugar levels low which is VERY important to your overall health.

For me it is also SO much easier than trying to get in those dreaded 6 meals a day. I was doing it wrong for so many years until I bought myself a blood glucose meter so I could find out for myself how the body really reacts. For years I fell for those BS supplement companies pushing their Meal Replacements saying you have GOT to eat 6 times a day.

If you google Intermittent Fasting you will find out a lot of info.

Thanks for the props, I made the big push the last 1.5 years as I turn 50 this year and want to try and look the best I ever have. I used to weigh 240 lbs and it was NOT good looking lol Since changing to it has been night and day in the way I look.

D

Deleted11391

Hi PatrickP

I'm making a big push to get into the best shape of my life by 35!

Only 7 months to go....then I can put my six pack onto my avatar like you!!! Lol!!!

Going to look into intermittent fasting now, based on your recommendation.

I've been following the primal blueprint diet and exercise regime and I've been making great progress with it.

Took me quite a few weeks to get used to it but now it's just very natural to me.

All the best
Brian

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I started Intermittent Fasting about 3 months ago, thanks to reading a thread in this forum and getting some good advice from Patrick. Since then, I have lost about 15 lbs (I went from 185 to 170, so it wasn't like I was a big guy and dropped those quick 15 lbs. I was already pretty slim), I feel great, look better then ever probably, been full of energy, focus much better in my fasted state and don't worry all day about eating like I used to.

I was always so worried about eating every 2-3 hours. Sometimes I would eat up to 8 small meals in a day. Now, I eat 3 meals and sometimes 2, like I did yesterday.

I prefer the 16 hour fasting method, but I can go up to 20 hours now with no problem. I haven't tried the full day yet and not sure if I really want to. I love it the way it is.

The hardest part is going to be getting used to not eating breakfast. I was a huge breakfast guy, so it took me a good 3 weeks to adapt. I still eat my breakfast, but it's usually after my workout and the largest meal of the day. I try to do everything I can to work out in the morning, so that I can have a huge breakfast around 11 or 12.

Another thing that scared me when I first started was working out on an empty stomach. It goes against everything I ever believed in. I was very nervous. at first, that I would be weak and wind up hurting myself. It wound up being completely opposite. I drink a BCAA mix before and during my workout and it powers me right through. I have been getting better workouts now then I have my entire life. It really is amazing.

Check out this free ebook. This doctor tried 6 separate forms of IF over a 6 month period and recorded the results of each. There were 2 specific ones that he love. One being the 16 hour fast, which I chose to try.

Intermittent Fasting | John Berardi Intermittent Fasting Free E-book

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
I try to do everything I can to work out in the morning, so that I can have a huge breakfast around 11 or 12.

That actually makes sense, because every-time I exercise I could eat a horse or two afterwards, so by exercising on an empty stomach and then eating a big meal and one or two smaller meals later you don't put in more then you took out. Take out first, then put in makes more sense then put in and then take out in terms of weight loss.

The only thing that I would be very worried about is exerting yourself in the morning when the blood is still very thick -most people (young and old, healthy and less healthy) who get deadly heart attacks during exercise get them in the morning - scientifically proven and discussed in this BBC documentary:

[video=youtube;sqQbGPXSKD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqQbGPXSKD0[/video]

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
People tend to have more heart attacks in the AM even if they do NOT exercise so that is just horse hockey.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
The combination of those two words (Quit + Exercising) aren't even in my vocabulary. I don't think I've ever gone more than 2 months without working out and that was in the dead of winter, maybe once or twice since I'm 15.
BTW - How are your eating habits?

Yeah, it normally is not mine either, but I was working pretty much 15hrs per day. I was a trainer and athlete, and put working and money ahead of my health. You in SI? I am in Manhattan, I was a founding member of the first crossfit gym here and the one in W'Burg. I am now at Chelsea Piers. Food is good, I eat mostly Paleo, but I need a burger like everyone else. I IF in the morning, I love skipping breakfast, its probably the only real IF I do, dinner to lunch.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
You in SI? I am in Manhattan, I was a founding member of the first crossfit gym here and the one in W'Burg.

Oh yea, I forgot you lived in Manhattan! We should meet up one day.

That's awesome man. What happened with that? Why did you leave? Crossfit is getting huge now. I have friends that swear by it. I do it with them sometimes. I like most workouts, but I don't see it as something I would do every day.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
That's awesome man. What happened with that? Why did you leave? Crossfit is getting huge now. I have friends that swear by it. I do it with them sometimes. I like most workouts, but I don't see it as something I would do every day.

Def, are you FDNY? Have some buddies there. I have been doing it regularly since 2006, and needed a break hence quitting.. earlier this year. For me right now, I dont need the volume of intense workouts. Maybe 2x per week, tops, and those workouts are usually after power lifting, they are short heavy intense workouts with the prowler sled, jump rope, kettlebells, pullups, and sprints. Very basic stuff, not complicated. Being here I also walk a lot, walking from the UES to Chelsea for work a few times a week, 5 mi each walk. With my work schedule I can't really commit to the 3 on 1 off intensity. Crossfit was also a big factor in my 'fastlane.'

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Def, are you FDNY?

Yup. Out here in SI.

For me right now, I dont need the volume of intense workouts. Maybe 2x per week, tops, and those workouts are usually after power lifting, they are short heavy intense workouts with the prowler sled, jump rope, kettlebells, pullups, and sprints.

I kinda do the same. Once or Twice a week. I should sprint more than I do. I try to as much as I can.

Crossfit was also a big factor in my 'fastlane.'

Did you do something with it already? Or is that your future plan?

BTW - I always forget to ask you. Do you play hockey? I'm just asking because of the name.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
nice, my buddies house is in greenwich vil. I helped build one of the largest companies in the space, but I am not affiliated with anymore, pm me for more info. Not a player, its a play on my name

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
People tend to have more heart attacks in the AM even if they do NOT exercise so that is just horse hockey.

You would have an even greater chance if you DO exercise then, I am guessing? I'll keep it on the safe side and do it after 3 PM.

AcquireCurrency

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 20, 2011
I have been lifting for about 2 years now. Plan to take up cycling in the coming weeks.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I hurt my back in October, before then I went on my get fit journey. I had lost 40 lbs, went from 222-182. Loved how I looked and loved IF. After I hurt my back though, I gained that 40 back because I couldn't work out and I started letting someone else make my food. No excuses, my decisions. Should have continued to eat right.

Finally got my back checked out and its good. Now it's August and this past week I was in the gym Tuesday-Saturday. So glad my back is back to normal. Tomorrow is leg day. I gotta get back on my goal to have a 6 pack and the vein in my biceps. I was almost there.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Owen Cook. Owner of Real Social Dynamic. This video is all about success. How he build his company, and why you should never miss a work-out.

It's a no bullshit type of person.
Watch it.
Well worth it.

[video=youtube;JGjPLeMEZLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjPLeMEZLE[/video]

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Owen Cook. Owner of Real Social Dynamic. This video is all about success. How he build his company, and why you should never miss a work-out.

Watch it.
Well worth it.

That guy is an idiot, but if he gets you motivated to do something then good for him.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012

Watch it.
Well worth it.

[video=youtube;JGjPLeMEZLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjPLeMEZLE[/video]

Tough to take workout advice from a guy who I would never want to look like.

Makes me want to make him a sandwich :)

Sort of like taking advice on how to get to a place in life where your business doesn't need you to run, from a guy who has an office with employees and has to show up there to manage them.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Sort of like taking advice on how to get to a place in life where your business doesn't need you to run, from a guy who has an office with employees and has to show up there to manage them.

Some people like the action, I know someone who is 90 and goes to the office everyday. The guy has 20 million easy.. But what the hell else he have to do. Sit at home, be bored off his a$$. Business is a game. Some people like to play it everyday.

And Patrick, I really hope that was not a dig towards me. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you would not drop to that level. would you?

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Tough to take workout advice from a guy who I would never want to look like.

Makes me want to make him a sandwich :)

Well. He explains why you should never miss a work out. He also admits he is not a gym rat. He says in this video that if you can't even manage yourself to go to the gym, you can't manage anytjhing bigger. He gives the example of people that do a bad job at their low paid job justifying it by "I would work hard if I was a CEO', or 'i would work at [..].'. He explains how to not go after all the shiny things etc

You can laugh at him. But he did went from absolutely zero, living on the streets to having found a niche where people pay over 3k for a bootcamp. He could easily 'outsource' it, he could easily hire people and make it all 'passive' (he even explains in this video why he does not do that). He has a vision, he works extremely hard and has a very succesful company.

That's someone I am willing to listen too, even if I have to listen a bit to examples geared to 'pick up'

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.