The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need some advice with my online business please

Making_it_happen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 17, 2017
Florida
Hi,

I design and manufacture products of a technical nature and sell them through my website. The products cost between a couple hundred to a thousand dollars each.

I am having a terrible time of managing customer interactions. I feel like I am giving far to much customer service, but I just don't "feel right" dialing it back.

I have customers that seem to want to become my buddy prior to and after the sale. I honestly just give too much in terms of service and advice and I don't really know how to help myself when it comes to stifling the huge flow of questions I get. This seems to be the case with about 10% of my customers.

To make this concrete: I have one customer right now who has not even received his product yet who has emailed me literally 25 times asking different questions. About 10 of those questions were pre-sale, and the remaining 15 questions (post-sale) range from verifying capabilities of the product to asking why I designed certain things the way I did to asking me to weigh in on something he read on the internet about these types of products and how that applies to my product

I feel a bit "trapped" when it comes to entertaining this onslaught of questions because my business is very much social media based: FB, instagram, a discussion forum, etc.
How should I handle things like this? I find that this type of customer will send the same question through every media channel I have if I don't answer them in whatever time they expect they should be answered.

I also get caught up in technical discussions on Facebook PM that are really beyond the scope of what I do. For instance, let's say that I'm selling computer hardware systems on a "you add your on operating system and software" basis. I might get caught up with a "WTF this computer doesn't work help me please!" type customer complaint when the issue is really a software installation matter. Then once engaged with the customer to explain this I get "well what can I do to make it work" and end up providing a lot of support there that is a total distraction from selling product.

Basically, I need to know how and where to draw the line and what an appropriate amount of customer interaction is. I was really struck with how big of a problem I have when I emailed another company who is in a related industry about becoming a reseller of their product. They impersonally directed me to a form to fill out to request to be contacted by sales. I thought to myself, "here I am bending over backwards to service a $800 sale I've already made and this similar company (that isn't that large) is directing me to fill out a form when I ask about what would amount to $50,000 in annual purchases." My company and theirs obviously are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to service and customer engagement.

I'm trying to figure out just where one should be on that spectrum.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
You probably need a FAQ Page which you can keep expanding for every different inquiry you get from customers. Eventually you'll have a really big page that you can redirect customers to if they need help. Helping them out personally can be beneficial as they might be more likely to purchase from you rather than the big faceless corporations that get them to fill out forms. However you have to draw the line somewhere and if you believe you could be making more sales if your time wasn't tied up responding to queries then a more permanent solution is needed. If you would lose out on too many sales if you stopped engaging fully then continue what you are doing. It's math!

Last edited:

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
You are providing exceptional service. Don't even think about dailing it back. Those customers are the guys who will advertise for you, for free.

Perhaps it's time to hire someone to ease the time burden for you though.

fauche65

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Jun 6, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Hi,

I design and manufacture products of a technical nature
Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

I am not trying to be intrusive, or have you give away any secrets, but what type of "technical" products are you selling? What industry/industries do these products serve? Do you have an online Wiki/FAQ or product page?

Depending on the industry, there may be some standard industry tools and resources that can assist.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
You are providing exceptional service. Don't even think about dailing it back. Those customers are the guys who will advertise for you, for free.

I agree with @Waspy, The easiest way I have set my company apart from my competition is the level of service that I provide given the pricepoint of my products. From your description I am guessing that your products are at a high price point and normally that entails more customer service and interaction.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago

I was thinking same, I don't believe there is any such thing as too much Customer Service; however, I recognise that you are having a bit of a problem where some customers are requesting assistance with items out of your scope that isn't packaged as a specific product/service being offered by your company. I'm seeing more of a management issue than a customer service issue, management in the sense that you have to manage where the line is drawn regarding certain concerns.

Your customer base feels comfortable engaging with you and this is why some issues are seemingly a bit over-bearing, as I say, don't dial down on your productive customer service - ever, but you can possibly look at a Customer Management System, like a live chat solution for business, where you can possibly hire 1 - 5 assistants (virtually/outsourced/etc.) accordingly as your sales team to engage further with customers concerning the products/services being offered. Yes, customers will ask pre-sales, sales and after-sales questions, equip your team with the essentials to answer these questions professionally, ensuring the customer is fully informed based on their concerns raised. Any items beyond that scope, you must equip your team with a professional way to guide the customer accordingly (based on past experiences) which will help get them back on track regarding the products/services your company offer as you continue to strengthen the relationships with them.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
What you call customer service, I call The Sales Process. They are asking multiple questions because those are legitimate concerns before they buy something, particularly something that may cost a thousand dollars.

Which means, you can continue to do what you do and chalk it up to sales, or try to make a better website that
a) conveys Trust. 90% of industrial, technical companies have the worst websites and even worse graphic design and that's a big no no for handing over a Credit card
b) has lots of relevant content that organized in a user centric manner so they find out all the answers before they attempt to buy something. FAQs page can be one but if its highly technical, you may need better navigation and a website in general. Short videos go a long way to answer questions and Hows To.

Side note: For all the web designer's or aspiring ones that have read @Fox 's thread, this is the approach that you are looking for. Fixing a problem or stopping the bleeding so to speak. Sometimes you dont need or want to pitch "More revenue" or "more business", you have to listen to the problems before you pitch.

Having a website that cost a few thousand dollars that can take this headache away may be worth it to some companies as, wasted time & labor = wasted profits

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
These guys all have some great responses here.

If I were perfect, I'd use the opportunity to build up your FAQ (as already suggested) but to take it a step further you could use those questions and answers to create SOPs for future employees.

On one side you're providing great customer service and helping people come to the right purchasing decision...

On the other side we all know how some customers are just downright goofy, want you as a friend, and will never purchase anything.

How long is your normal sales cycle?

Is it months, quarters, years?

If so, you may be stuck in that routine for quite a while.

If your sales cycle is shorter, than maybe you're catering to a lot of tire-kickers.

If you're going to cater to tire-kickers I'd see them for what they are and change your approach.

Ask for referrals from these people? Otherwise I think it's a wasted resource.

"Hey buddy, we're trying to grow our business -- do you know someone who might be interested in buying this? Do you have some contacts in the industry?"

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
I was having the same issue in my business. Still have those issues... What I sell is probably for most the second largest purchase in their life. And my industry doesn't have the best reputation.

Anyway, the FAQ page is an excellent idea. It really (for me) cut down on explaining alot of aspects of my business to customers. We sell in a non-traditional way and offer way higher value in our product. I use the FAQ to sell my value - I lead the witness by including on my FAQ page questions I wish my customers asked, as well as the ones I get often. This helps.

I also spent a decent amount of time shooting explainer videos and posting them on my site. This augments the FAQ section and makes it more personable. If you're getting a lot of technical type questions, you could pick some of the ones that seem to pop up alot and do explainer videos on them. Even if they are beyond the scope of what you are providing... it will help people feel comfortable with you and establish you as an authority on the topic.

I think most of these problems are solved with creating a ton of content around your product, what it does, and the value it offers. In this way you make your business more fastlane. Create the content once, and it sells for you.

That will free you up to use your time for more effective customer service calls. Like follow up with customers, building rapport, and stuff like that.

Hope this was helpful.

Making_it_happen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 17, 2017
Florida
Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

My takeaway from all of this is to firm up FAQ resources and not to feel bashful about directing customers to good these resources once they are well refined. I'll invest the time now and I do believe it will save me on the back end.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
People already mentioned this, so I'd like to just slightly expand:

- FAQ: This would be the first thing I'd do. I would write down ALL questions customers ask, and all I can remember they asked in the past. Then make a huge and well organized FAQs, which can be separated by topic (e.g. Shipping, Technical Info, Usage, Maintenance). Seems like it should be a really comprehensive and ever expanding FAQ.

Importantly, I would also make it very pleasant and easy to use. So topics would written in bigger letters and clearly distinguishable. And when you click a question, the answer would slide out below it. If you click again, it would slide in. This is also called "accordion" effect, and is very suitable for huge FAQ.

Having all answers shown from the start wouldn't be practical as the page would be too long and impractical to scroll, especially on mobiles. And having each answer on separate page would make usage very tedious.

Such FAQ could then ease your workload in two ways. It should decrease the number of questions you're getting, but also for questions you do get, you could sometimes refer people to FAQ instead of repeating the same old story for a 1000th time. Of course, it matters how this is done, so that client doesn't feel he's scolded or brushed off, but rather pointed to a quality resource. Perhaps by acknowledging that their question is a common concern, so much that you written a detailed answer, which can be find on page such and such, and inviting them to contact you at any time for any clarification.

- Introducing chat is a good idea too, but needs to be done right. I've had some experiences where chat person is neither knowledgeable, nor proactive (in a "let me check that for you" way"). Then, I also had some great chat experiences, which nudged me towards choosing a certain company, and made me feel they actually care, and there will be quality support when needed.

- During and after the checkout process, you can remind the customer you're there, by showing comments that gently guide them through it all, and leave as little unanswered as possible. For example, after the order is placed, the "thank you" page could also show some details about the order, like order # they can refer to, when can they expect it etc. They can also get an email that reassures them they made the right decision, thanks them for their business, and provides them with links to follow if there's any issues or questions.

For first time buyers it may even include a personal thank you note from the owner (if that's appropriate, since I don't know your business), or a welcome to the family of happy /your brand/ users.

- Copywriting and other content on your website. This is also an important part. Could it be that the influx of so many question is a result of website not explaining things well enough or in enough detail? Whatever the answer, more content could help. Not sure what your product is, but could some videos help as well?

I also get caught up in technical discussions on Facebook PM that are really beyond the scope of what I do.

While ideally you wouldn't get caught up in these - obviously sometimes it's needed so that the client doesn't feel brushed off. But then, if that's the case and you're answering the question anyway, it would be better if you could post these answers on your website as well, whether as articles or part of FAQ, so that everyone can read them, or you could refer people to it when they ask that same question.

Writing someone an answer in PM is doing work which you won't be able to reuse, so it's very ineffective use of time, and not scalable either.

- If the product is expensive and of high quality, design, functionality and complete user experienced of the website should reflect and subcommunicate that too. It will add to positive impression and trust, hopefully making people more at ease and less inclined to have 1000 questions. Oh, and it may turn some more prospects into customers. I assume your website uses a SSL certificate, if it doesn't it should. It's another detail that adds to trustworthiness.

Finally, if you think it would help, I could review your website for free and point out where potential improvements are possible (not a public sort of review, but for your private use).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.