The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I met them on the internet?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
no problem! its an abbreviation thats used on a different board that I used to frequent.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
My wife found me on the 'net.

Turned out to be one of the best "meetings" of my life...
Same here! Not only did I find my wonderful husband on the 'net, I also found my last car, my last 2 houses and my last 8 jobs (I'm a consultant - not a flake).

And I'm really not a hermit. I just think it's a much more effecient way to do "business" - including dating! When time is at a premium (whose isn't?), then it just sometimes make sense to network online. Forums provide a venue in which to meet others according your own schedule. Not everyone can make the REI meeting every Tuesday night at 7. But I can distill the same amount of information (or more!), while making personal contacts, in my jammies, whenever I can steal 10 minutes here or there on a forum like this one.

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
Same here! Not only did I find my wonderful husband on the 'net, I also found my last car, my last 2 houses and my last 8 jobs (I'm a consultant - not a flake).

And I'm really not a hermit. I just think it's a much more effecient way to do "business" - including dating! When time is at a premium (whose isn't?), then it just sometimes make sense to network online. Forums provide a venue in which to meet others according your own schedule. Not everyone can make the REI meeting every Tuesday night at 7. But I can distill the same amount of information (or more!), while making personal contacts, in my jammies, whenever I can steal 10 minutes here or there on a forum like this one.

Good points. It also reduces/eliminates geographical distance as an excuse for not finding people or solutions.

-John

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CorsePerVita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 24, 2008
The way I see it, if people can't have an open mind and accept the internet as another form of communication that's their problem.

I've found jobs, money, friends, information and a vast wealth of knowledge on the internet. I got started into my novice journey of investing from the internet and sources on the internet.

People always say those words "you met them on... the INTERNET?????" like it's horrible.

It's efficient, it's at your fingertips, it's there when you need it, it's near instantaneous and it's wonderful.

Granted yeah there are stupid people out there to screw you online, well, they're also in person too.

Not my problem if they challenge people's credibility JUST because they're "From the internet". But yes, I've ran into it too.

Also on that topic though I've also met people in person from online too! :) Many of them stand up and awesome individuals.

jimculler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 14, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
If it were not for discussion boards and/or forums, I would know nothing about real estate investing. And I would have never grossed 6 figures in a part time business (the mortgage biz is my bread and butter) these past years from flipping houses.

I owe discussion forums more than they owe me!

People who cant get with that, can punch a clock for all I care. :smx7:

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
I owe discussion forums more than they owe me!
This is true for anyone taking discussions seriously. If you judge forums to be usefull for yourself, then you've got the right attiude and can gain from it. If you deny it, you don't.

Heck, even my father being in his mid sixties discovered the value of forums for him!
(Reminds me of MJ stating that even his grandma runs a blog these days :rofl: )

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I feel like a lot of the exercises, advice and posts I read on this fourm are fantastic. I was talking to a friend yesterday about some of the ideas and he asked how I know some of you.

I told him I never met any of you personally but I have corresponded via this forum. He said, "So you are making life plans based on advice from random people on the internet? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?"

I tried to explain further but didn't get anywhere.

Have any of you had experiences like this? How did you explain the "validity" of the ideas presented here?

Don't waste your time explaining anything. Some people just don't get it. I make this mistake often. I have a friend who's going to business school. I try to share some of my ideas with him. All I get is negativity. "It won't work because this, you can't do that, etc, etc.." Nothing ever positive. He has book experience. I have some real world experience. We can't agree.

I have not told him about this forum, but I have tried to explain what "Fastlane" is. He Simply says "Won't work. You can't get rich paying Uncle Sam 35% in taxes. Real Estate is the only way to go with 15%".

I give up...

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
I, luckily, have two friends who are on board with my newly-adopted way of thinking. They are working their own PLANs as well. The third friend 'makes good money' working for a bank, but he is quickly getting burned out. Instead of expanding his perception of "making" money, he is looking for other JOBs to satisfy him. He is looking into being a college professor...his big motivating factor is the ~$50k /yr working 2-3 days per week. He hasn't expanded his thinking enough to grasp the idea that he could work a concept of his own and turn out earning $5M /yr on 2-3 days per week or less.

Will he change his way of thinking? Maybe, but like anything else, HE will have to realize the possibilities. No one can talk it into him. I'm hoping to lead by example...I don't like preaching to people to try to sell them on an idea that I realized in a certain way. Everyone learns and grows differently. Sometimes it takes drastic life changes and other times it comes simply from reading about others' experiences. I got lucky in that I found this forum and read the success stories at a time when I was in a "think outside the box" mood while browsing the web. Never looked back at the old thought process.

- John

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.