The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I got the idea, what now ?

Idea threads

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
Hello everyone,

Short introduction

I’m just 20 years old, I dropped out of school after I graduated. I’ve done a lot of small work and tried to start projects in parallel.
All have failed, at least I have failed by giving up each time despite hours spent digging my head.
So I decided to go back to school in September to take a two-year degree.

Only this time is the right one, I swore I would not give up this promising idea.
My old project did not see the day certe, but despite that I have developed and acquired some skills.

My problem

As you will have understood, I went back to a project, a business idea, to you to see what you call it.

However, I would like to hear from people who have experienced starting a business.

How did you structure the steps to start your business ?

To tell you the truth, I am facing a wall, I do not know how to climb that wall which is the realization of an idea.
Until now I was just a wantreprener.

Listening to blogs, some people talk about creating a business plan, doing a market study, a business model. etc

Did you go through this or did you just pull out your fingers and go straight to the concrete ?

PS: I know that a real entrepreneur can manage on his own, but I admit to being lost and a little help will help me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Elvin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 27, 2022
Hello everyone,

Short introduction

I’m just 20 years old, I dropped out of school after I graduated. I’ve done a lot of small work and tried to start projects in parallel.
All have failed, at least I have failed by giving up each time despite hours spent digging my head.

Only this time is the right one, I swore I would not give up this promising idea.
My old project did not see the day certe, but despite that I have developed and acquired some skills.

My problem

As you will have understood, I went back to a project, a business idea, to you to see what you call it.

However, I would like to hear from people who have experienced starting a business.

To tell you the truth, I am facing a wall, I do not know how to climb that wall which is the realization of an idea.

Listening to blogs, some people talk about creating a business plan, doing a market study, a business model. etc

Did you go through this or did you just pull out your fingers and go straight to the concrete ?

PS: I know that a real entrepreneur can manage on his own, but I admit to being lost and a little help will help me
Depending on whether your idea has been done before (or someone has done something similar), I suggest reaching out to that person and asking them what steps to take.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Be very careful about what you learn about businesses. Most online business gurus (BS gurus for short ;)) are very good at selling pretty ideas.
My suggestion would be to spend time on this forum and to read MJ's books. This would be a solid foundation.

PS: I know that a real entrepreneur can manage on his own, but I admit to being lost and a little help will help me.
Nobody knows this from birth.
The fact that you admitted your current inability is a very healthy sign that you are on the right track.

As for any advice on how to go about your project:
Start implementing discipline into your life. Learn to be very well organized. Have a clean environment and a consistent daily schedule.
  • Specify very clear goals for your life and business.
  • Develop a strategy that will get you from point A (where you are now) to point B (the goals previously specified)
  • Define a daily execution process that will enable you to make constant progress following your strategy.

Generally speaking, ideas are pawns - execution is king.
Everybody has ideas. The difference between true entrepreneurs - problem solvers and wantpreneurs is the ability to turn their ideas into reality, using the 3 steps mentioned previously.

You are at the perfect age to learn everything you need in order to be successful.
Do not give up until you get the desired results. Life goes away very quickly.

Good luck.

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
Depending on whether your idea has been done before (or someone has done something similar), I suggest reaching out to that person and asking them what steps to take.

Thank you for your answer.

To answer your question, no one has ever realized this.
And I don’t think a competitor is helping you compete with them to be honest with you:)

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
Be very careful about what you learn about businesses. Most online business gurus (BS gurus for short ;)) are very good at selling pretty ideas.
My suggestion would be to spend time on this forum and to read MJ's books. This would be a solid foundation.

Nobody knows this from birth.
The fact that you admitted your current inability is a very healthy sign that you are on the right track.

As for any advice on how to go about your project:
Start implementing discipline into your life. Learn to be very well organized. Have a clean environment and a consistent daily schedule.
  • Specify very clear goals for your life and business.
  • Develop a strategy that will get you from point A (where you are now) to point B (the goals previously specified)
  • Define a daily execution process that will enable you to make constant progress following your strategy.

Generally speaking, ideas are pawns - execution is king.
Everybody has ideas. The difference between true entrepreneurs - problem solvers and wantpreneurs is the ability to turn their ideas into reality, using the 3 steps mentioned previously.

You are at the perfect age to learn everything you need in order to be successful.
Do not give up until you get the desired results. Life goes away very quickly.

Good luck.

Thank you for your answer.

For the moment, I will admit that it is a bit vague in my head.
I’ll clear this up on my own.

And we will soon find ourselves with a thread of execution!

Have a good day:)

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
Hello everyone,

Short introduction

My problem

Could you start selling "air"?

It doesn't have to be a perfect idea to start, I'd say you just need a start.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
but despite that I have developed and acquired some skills.
What skills have you develop? Are any of them applicable to what you would like to build? Answering this will help clarify which directions you should take. If the set of skills is totally irrelevant to what you want to build(your ideal vision), then learn some new ones. No biggie.
Structure the steps as close to getting a sales as possible(if that's applicable to you). If you're selling a service then get ready to do some prospecting. If you are building a personal brand, then think about the content you put out there and you should always be asking how you are solving a problem with each piece of content.
You might be thinking too hard about it. If you're apart of MJ's unscripted network(I suggest you search it up if you're not-basically texts from MJ every now and then), he texted "....help people. Get paid. Help more people". It's as simple as it gets man.

Everyone have ideas, but the thing is they barely do anything about it. If you end up having an idea that aligns with your skill set, even if it's a bad idea from what other says, test it out :) . . . Perhaps it'll work and if not you'll learn a ton of things that will increase your odds next time.

Now is the best time to do something, because there are many others with the same idea with perhaps even more skills than you, but are just too afraid to make a leap into the unknown.
Everyone goes through it in one form or another, yeah? Unless you inherited daddy's money...

MJ went through it too if you read TMF when he mentioned MLMs and hoping on late night get rich quick schemes(I think he mentioned there were no models like they advertised it when he tested the products LOL).

Here's another example:

Go to the thread below and click sort by best post. Then read the very first reply. MTF literally outline his journey, almost A-Z, especially his mindset that led up to him making multiple 6 figures A MONTH. Many of your questions, and potential questions will be answered there.

He wrote "But in reality between 17 and 24 I wasted time trying new businesses every few months and never having enough discipline to keep going when things didn't work".

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Maybe we could help more if you'd elaborate a bit? Is it a service or an e-com idea for example?

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
Could you start selling "air"?

It doesn't have to be a perfect idea to start, I'd say you just need a start.
Thank you for your answer, I have read your thread and it is very inspiring!

I hear your answer, I admit that my temperament tends to push the idea 100% before even starting some concrete things.
What I want is that now for every one of my ideas, I was writing down the features, probably very good ideas..
But in the end, I will say that thinking too much about the final phase of these ideas has frightened me more than anything else.
Hence the creation of this thread...

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
Thank you for your response

What skills have you develop? Are any of them applicable to what you would like to build? Answering this will help clarify which directions you should take. If the set of skills is totally irrelevant to what you want to build(your ideal vision), then learn some new ones. No biggie.
I will say I have skills in webdesign, I have been working on the program since I was 14 years old.
I am far from being good, but I think I have the logic of programming and of course some notions in different languages.

Now is the best time to do something, because there are many others with the same idea with perhaps even more skills than you, but are just too afraid to make a leap into the unknown.
Of course, I’m probably not the only one on this idea but so far no one has realized it, is this for a reason, may be but to tell the truth I’m crazy ahaha

Go to the thread below and click sort by best post
I have been reading his post and actually I recognize myself on some of these words, such as abandoning an idea and moving from one idea to another while going through depression.

Discipline, I’m really gonna have to fight with myself!

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
Maybe we could help more if you'd elaborate a bit? Is it a service or an e-com idea for example?
Thank you for your involvement.

Simply put, my idea is in the auto sector.

I want to build an online platform that will allow motorists to use the services offered on the platform in exchange for a subscription.

But I also want to develop a prototype (technological) that will be linked to this platform.
And of course, the prototype will be marketed, first directly on the platform (I think ), then I will wish, when my company has grown, it will be marketed in large supermarkets.

I hope I have given you a minimum of insight, if not, please feel free to come back to me:)

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
Thank you for your answer, I have read your thread and it is very inspiring!

I hear your answer, I admit that my temperament tends to push the idea 100% before even starting some concrete things.
What I want is that now for every one of my ideas, I was writing down the features, probably very good ideas..
But in the end, I will say that thinking too much about the final phase of these ideas has frightened me more than anything else.
Hence the creation of this thread...
I'd say you only need to think about 4 variables for now....

1. The person in need.
2. Your offer.
3. A way to get this to them.
4. Payment for fulfilment.

Start small, really small. Atomically small. Start with something that's already been perfected even.

What can you offer that would make someone happy? This is your offer.

The person in need is anyone who would happily pay for such an offer.

And maybe they're just outside or on the street.

Will you take on this challenge perhaps?

Take the pen in front of you, go to your closest friend and ask them to buy it for you for 20 pence. If your friend isn't available, go outside to the nearest person who you think really needs a pen, and offer the pen to them instead. Remember, you want to fill a hole/need with your offer.

Regardless of if they say no/yes, you've successfully engaged yourself in an entrepreneurial activity. It's simply an exchange of hands. It might not be easy, it's a completely new thing, and that's not always easy to do, but if you can do just this, I'd say you're brave, really brave.

I found doing this will especially expose you to the "fundamentals" of business and really get you out there if you're having trouble with that.

EDIT: Extending this to your idea. Perhaps you can speak to someone who you think would need your idea by hitting them up on a platform like reddit. If they show interest in it, that could be a form of validation for it too.

Last edited:

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Thank you for your involvement.

Simply put, my idea is in the auto sector.

I want to build an online platform that will allow motorists to use the services offered on the platform in exchange for a subscription.

But I also want to develop a prototype (technological) that will be linked to this platform.
And of course, the prototype will be marketed, first directly on the platform (I think ), then I will wish, when my company has grown, it will be marketed in large supermarkets.

I hope I have given you a minimum of insight, if not, please feel free to come back to me:)
I don't really understand what you have in mind. The language barrier might be an issue, here.

What kind of services do these motorists want to use? Wouldn't marketing have to bring customers to your platform? How can you market services on a platform without any customers?
Would the platform match companies that offer services with customers (your subscribers)? Would you offer the services yourself? How do supermarkets fit into any of this?

The Lean Canvas / Business Model Canvas is usually an okay tool for creating a back-of-the-envelope business model visualization.

If you think that you will be working on your software 90+% of the time, then I think your plan is already flawed.
My takeaway so far is that you want maximize the value that your product creates while reducing the required effort as much as possible. Getting as much as possible out of as little work as possible is really important so that you won't be derailed when "stupid other business distractions" come up (and they will).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.