The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I don't understand how good copy works

Marketing, social media, advertising

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Sometimes I read sales letters, like one of Gary Halberts or Craig Clemens, and I just think, "this is so fuc*ing stupid. How this shit sell?"

Not a knock on their ingeniousness, but it leaves me so perplexed.

It's so simple, at times so corny, and yet so effective.

I am going to find a way to master copywriting because all of this is so mystifying and amazing to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I think the problem is that you have to sell to different people in different way, however because you can very seldom be that targeted, you have to pick the lowest common denominator, in this case a sales letter.

It is also possible you aren't their target. If they aren't solving a problem you have, their copy is never going to sell to you.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
I think the problem is that you have to sell to different people in different way, however because you can very seldom be that targeted, you have to pick the lowest common denominator, in this case a sales letter.

It is also possible you aren't their target. If they aren't solving a problem you have, their copy is never going to sell to you.
Nah I'm more amazed by the hows than the whats, I'm not really concerned with the product itself.

What amazes me is how they word their copy, how they present their offers, how simple it is, and how they go about making their pitch

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
A lot of the examples in these books are from the very early days of direct advertising. While a lot of the principles are the same, the actual way we speak and write has changed dramatically.

If you pull out the key ideas, then read some modern sales copy (which you know works), you can see how the same methods are being utilised in a more up-to-date way.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Sometimes I read sales letters, like one of Gary Halberts or Craig Clemens, and I just think, "this is so fuc*ing stupid. How this shit sell?"

Not a knock on their ingeniousness, but it leaves me so perplexed.

It's so simple, at times so corny, and yet so effective.

I am going to find a way to master copywriting because all of this is so mystifying and amazing to me.

People don't think the same as they used to. What elicited an emotional response back then doesn't necessarily do so now. Copy that sells is directly tied to emotions. The underlying tactics add sauce to the steak, but aren't the steak. The steak is emotion and it forms from connection - connecting with people in the ways they want and need to be connected with.

From your post I can't tell which part of their writing has you thinking "this is stupid." I haven't read most of their writing because it never proved important in getting the job done. Here's what has worked for me:

1. Focusing on the other person and their needs / pains / problems
2. Attempting to put myself in their shoes and see the world through their eyes
3. Empathizing so I understand the real pain they feel every single day
4. Writing about that pain as if I were them using their own words and thoughts
5. Creating a mental picture with stories that shows I understand their problem
6. Offering a solution to that problem so they have a way to solve it if the pain is bad enough

Maybe this will help or maybe it won't when you think on it...

I approach copy like a mechanic might approach a new car he's never worked on before. Some of the old tools still prove useful, but a new car also has different and unique parts. Sometimes new tools are necessary, so he has to get them. Once he has the right tools, many of the underlying functions operate the same. When he uses the right tools (approaches) he can tinker with the engine and get it to do what he wants it to do. Or he can try to use the old tools, but since they're not right for the new car, they could cause something to break or not work as expected.

Human beings operate the same on an emotional level. They want to avoid pain when possible, but won't take action until the pain of not moving is greater than the pain of moving. You can get them to move. First they have to feel the pain. In 2017 you may have to add new tools to your belt such as writing in different styles from the old ways, or approaching problems with different questions or perspectives. Emotion and feelings are still the drivers of action, but new or modified tools (approaches) may be necessary to trigger those feelings.

If I were learning copy from square one today, I'd look to those who get results now vs. those who got results 10 or 20 years ago because we live in a completely different world with incredibly different means of communication, and that means we might have to modify our approach to get results.

But that's putting the cart before the horse. What results do you already have?

It's a lot easier to know what really works or doesn't when you put a tool to use and get real world feedback. Not saying you haven't done this. Just food for thought for anyone reading this. Test everything. Then use what works and lose what doesn't.

Last edited:

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Check this book out:

CA$HVERTISING: How to Use More than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make Big Money Selling Anything to Anyone: Drew Eric Whitman: 9781601630322: Amazon.com: Books

It describes the process of human emotion when it comes to impulse buying. Why do people buy what they do? Because of how it benefits one of eight programmed core desires:
  1. Survival, enjoyment of life, life extension.
  2. Enjoyment of food and beverages.
  3. Freedom from fear, pain, and danger.
  4. Sexual companionship.
  5. Comfortable living conditions.
  6. To be superior, winning, keeping up with the Joneses.
  7. Care and protection of loved ones.
  8. Social approval.
(I took this list off a book summary page because I dont have the book on me)

If you look at any copy or advertisement, I guarantee you that they will most likely trigger one of those 8 categories in some way. In my opinion, the key to good advertisement is understanding the human psyche.

Great book for anybody to pick up though if you have a chance.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
Maybe it seems "corny" because you aren't looking at it from the perspective of someone in the target demographic. If you felt the need/ want/ fear/ that the people who are going to buy felt you might read those words and hear music. A letter that is targeted on a small target is a clean miss on the rest of us.

Also, beware cynicism. Scepticism is good. You should question everything
Cynicism is when you take that to an irrational extreme and believe "everything is crap." In this specific case, maybe you are in fact looking at corny copy. Or... If you are looking at good copy that actually sells well and perceiving crap maybe the fault is in the perception.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.