The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I CAN't get feedback from my audience

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Go do it in person instead of online. Walk into every single realtor's office in a 30 min drive of you and talk to them. Make connections with the realtors there. Trying to do it purely online is the easy way, but it lacks the connection element and nobody is going to care without a connection.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I was thinking of educating the agent actually. This came from the fact that people who want to become agents have a high-chance of being trained in bad practices. So it becomes a vicious cycle, which has to be broken. Thus, supplying agents with high-quality materials, where they could learn the craft would be beneficial for the industry I believe. I could even start a podcast, having quality agents as my guests and just pumping value. Then you have articles, videos, etc... But I really need to get the business going so I could do that.

I think you should start this - NOW. Don't wait to get your business going, this WILL get your business going.

If you start a Podcast and have one guest, they're then going to promote that podcast to their audience - which will likely consist of 2 kinds of people: agents + people interested in real estate. This will then help you gain traction for BOTH of your problems - lacking agents and the people that are interested in buying/selling. I can't stress enough how much I think you should focus on this. It's also much easier to go to someone and say "hey can I interview you for my Podcast and help you gain exposure and show people what a great person you are?" vs "hey will you sign up for MY website because I think it's really great and neat?" (not being condescending here).

Make an outro/intro that directs people to your website as well. Do a 30 second blurb about the value it provides. You'll organically drive people to it. And like you said, you can leverage podcast content into other medium forms - written, video, picture etc.

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
I was actually thinking of doing exactly what you mentioned...

HOWEVER, I think I might get into legal trouble, as I would have not obtained any permission to create a profile for them (and using their information).

So far, one of the agency owners has posted A LOT of real estate postings on the website, which makes me happy.

I'm thinking of going to agency owners in my area and selling them the service. And yeah, I would definitely do it for free initially, to get them hooked and make them some money.

Check the laws of your country. But it's public information, so you should be able to post it. You're not posting personal information about them. Just their name (which is their business name essentially), their business phone number, the brokerage they're with, etc.

You're basically just creating a business directory, but for realtors.

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
Boychamp - to be completely honest with you, I can see how this approach would work, but I feel so lazy doing it... It's why I am confessing here now, just so I get it out of my system and actually do it. Thanks!

Tourmaline - yep, I can see how the lack of connection does not help me. It's even more bizarre, as I advertise in Facebook groups and I have no profile picture :happy:

xmartel - well, it would be a very incomplete list, as not every agency has listed its employees on its website. But I can see how it would set things going, as well. It could drive traffic and get agents interested.

I will try the personal approach, as I like human connection in general, and I would probably start pumping out content. But my first goal is to reach 40 sign-ups. It's just a goal I set myself that I plan on achieving.

I got two more sign-ups today. It's also weird, because I hardly do any marketing, and yet people seem to come (even at a reeeeaaallllyyyy sloooooow raaaaaate). I am pretty sure I can speed this process, but I have to find a creative way.

I'll update you whenever I have progress!

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
Boychamp - to be completely honest with you, I can see how this approach would work, but I feel so lazy doing it... It's why I am confessing here now, just so I get it out of my system and actually do it. Thanks!

Tourmaline - yep, I can see how the lack of connection does not help me. It's even more bizarre, as I advertise in Facebook groups and I have no profile picture :happy:

xmartel - well, it would be a very incomplete list, as not every agency has listed its employees on its website. But I can see how it would set things going, as well. It could drive traffic and get agents interested.

I will try the personal approach, as I like human connection in general, and I would probably start pumping out content. But my first goal is to reach 40 sign-ups. It's just a goal I set myself that I plan on achieving.

I got two more sign-ups today. It's also weird, because I hardly do any marketing, and yet people seem to come (even at a reeeeaaallllyyyy sloooooow raaaaaate). I am pretty sure I can speed this process, but I have to find a creative way.

I'll update you whenever I have progress!

Do you have a local realtor association? We do in my jurisdiction and they list every single licensed realtor on their website along with their email address and phone number.

If your local association doesn't list them on their website, they probably still keep a list and may give it to you if you ask.

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
Do you have a local realtor association? We do in my jurisdiction and they list every single licensed realtor on their website along with their email address and phone number.

If your local association doesn't list them on their website, they probably still keep a list and may give it to you if you ask.

As far as I know, no. There is no governmental body which helps with regulating the market. Of course, there are the NGOs, and they do have lists, but its based on membership. So, you pay- you get into the list.

I actually started accepting that I would be doing interviews, and I have until next Friday, when I will be going on the hunt (as I have the day off). Up until then, I would need to have my questions prepared, gear ready, and see what happens.

P.S.
Anyone has any idea when would be the best time to engage agents via Facebook? I feel like it would be during the mornings, when they are fresh and open to new ideas.

Monkeycom

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 20, 2019
UK
Hello everyone,

So, I finally started executing, after months of reading and doubting myself.

I have already built my MVP, but the problem is I can't find people to test it.

I've posted in Facebook groups where my target audience hangs out, and I've got a lot of good feedback on the idea. However, nobody actually tested it, so I can't tell if the execution is good or not, and I really need the feedback. Most of my subjects didn't have the time, so they were like "yeah, I'm gonna check it out later", so I reminded them when later came, but still no result. I've been trying for two weeks now, and the only improvement I came up with was a FAQ section.

My audience: Real Estate Agents a.k.a. Realtors
Problem I solve: The industry is plagued with low-quality agents. People constantly complain about the realtors, and the good agents suffer due to the overall negative reputation of the job.
Solution: I would allow agents to register on my website, where they could be rated by their clients. The idea is they could build online reputation over time, so when a client seeks a an agent, he would know he could go to my website and find a legit one.

So, do you have any suggestions as to how could I get them to test it?

P.S.
I target my country which is based in Europe, if that matters.

That's actually a very good idea. I had the exact same issue in France, UK and Spain. 90% of the agents I talked to are totally incompetent.

The best way to boostrap an online business is via email marketing.
I build several businesses, ranging from B2B agencies, to e-commerce ones, only relying on it.

Once you have a bit of leads, you just need to survey them.
An email list has nothing to do with a Facebook group. The users are in a totally different mindset when they check Facebook on their smartphone, or when they check their email at work.

Feel free to pm me, I've some ressources that can be useful for this project.
Best of luck, it's a very good idea in my opinion

PowerJen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 13, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Actually, my DM's are full of people interested in the idea. Some of them wanted to meetup and discuss potential partnerships. My problem is I want them t sign up and tell me what do they like what do they dislike. Otherwise, they just check out the website, and tell me it looks good, and that's it. No one is willing to test the sign up.
I dont think it's JUST about the sign up process. You haven't given them enough compelling reasons to go ahead. (e.g. dont tell them its a test). Also, have you done a substitute and competitor search?

In Australia, we have this one, which takes many others out of the water... many good reasons: Agent Ratings and Reviews - agent.realestate.com.au

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
That's actually a very good idea. I had the exact same issue in France, UK and Spain. 90% of the agents I talked to are totally incompetent.

The best way to boostrap an online business is via email marketing.
I build several businesses, ranging from B2B agencies, to e-commerce ones, only relying on it.

Once you have a bit of leads, you just need to survey them.
An email list has nothing to do with a Facebook group. The users are in a totally different mindset when they check Facebook on their smartphone, or when they check their email at work.

Feel free to pm me, I've some ressources that can be useful for this project.
Best of luck, it's a very good idea in my opinion

Thanks, I pm'd you!

Just to update:
So far I got 27 sign-ups (read 27 emails :devil:), and I am getting closer to my goal of 40. It's a good indication, as so far the website offers literally no value, apart from a possible future one.

Also, one of the agency owners contacted me, and we talked via phone for like 50 minutes. He was very interested in the idea, as it would help him his business grow as well. We were talking about collaborations and stuff like that. It then struck me... I should go to agency owners, as I see most of them have big interest in the website. They would be able to convince their agents to sign-up.

My next steps would be to incorporate agencies into the website, and then go to owners and sell them the idea.

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
I dont think it's JUST about the sign up process. You haven't given them enough compelling reasons to go ahead. (e.g. dont tell them its a test). Also, have you done a substitute and competitor search?

In Australia, we have this one, which takes many others out of the water... many good reasons: Agent Ratings and Reviews - agent.realestate.com.au

Yeah, I am using them as a template actually. I have talked to their support and the guy gave me a lot of valuable information. Unfortunately, we don't have an MLS here, so I can't do the same like them... neither can my competition so far (which is none so far).

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
If I did that, I would go away from the problem I try to solve.

Take that mindset and shove it.

There is an agent here that has given you your feedback. If you walk into another estate office chances are they think the same.

REPOSITION and go at it again.
Give a client platform. Call some estate offices to list some exclusive proerties there. give everyone incentive to use your platform

Monkeycom

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 20, 2019
UK
Thanks, I pm'd you!

Just to update:
So far I got 27 sign-ups (read 27 emails :devil:), and I am getting closer to my goal of 40. It's a good indication, as so far the website offers literally no value, apart from a possible future one.

Also, one of the agency owners contacted me, and we talked via phone for like 50 minutes. He was very interested in the idea, as it would help him his business grow as well. We were talking about collaborations and stuff like that. It then struck me... I should go to agency owners, as I see most of them have big interest in the website. They would be able to convince their agents to sign-up.

My next steps would be to incorporate agencies into the website, and then go to owners and sell them the idea.

Well done.
Always remember - it's way easier to team up with someone who already has your clients than organically building your customer base!

FriendlyVillain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 9, 2019
So, I've been thinking for the past few days how can I help agents make money, so they are incentivised to sign up in my site. So, as I was advised earlier by a real estate agent here, real estate consultants are interested in leads. I should give them leads then. Ok, so one end is sorted.

Now, for the actual leads- in my country, the process is very time consuming due to the poor quality of the agents. I want to penalize bad behavior. At the same time, people want to find a home, and usually they would have to explain their requirements to every new real estate agent they start working with => that is just frustrating, and often times leads to no results, thus wasted time.

So, I will create a landing page where prospects would register their interest to buy,sell, or rent a property, with their specific requirements => this would generate me a very qualified list. Agents who are registered on my website would receive this list, but knowing that if they f*ck up, they might be rated poorly on the website => incentivize good behavior. Obviously I will tell the prospects they have the option to rate a real estate agent, and that they would be all registered in the website.

This partly solves my problem, as 1 agent could register himself, get the list, and spread it to everyone else in his agency.

So, I have to figure out a solution to this problem now. Maybe I could verify the agents on my website by calling them (I have their phone numbers), and then advise the prospects not to contact agents who have not registered themselves on the website. I would appreciate any other ideas here!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.