The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I bought a Supercar and got a lot of slowlane lessons...

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
ΕΝΔΕΚA said:
A Challenger isn't really that cool of a car
...and right back at ya, a used Viper is by no means a Supercar. Now, now. I think you're letting this used Viper go to your head. I know you're excited and all but don't fall into the trap of chasing "status" through a car. What's not that cool about a Challenger? Dodge brought out a cool car that channels the spirit of the old Chargers. You set the bar kind of high with your thread title. When I clicked on it I expected to see a Fastlane exit and a Mclaren (there's a dealership in the western suburbs) or a Porsche Carerra GT or a Koenigsegg or a Zonda, not a used Viper. Even a 2014 Viper SRT is still a sub-$100k car (msrp they set at least, not saying you'll be able to get one at that rate). It's still a cool car, though, I saw a newer blue one near my house the other day and it's still got "presence". But a supercar it ain't and I don't feel it gives a pass to start insulting your fellow guys in the "muscle car club", unless there's some sort of Ford vs Chevy thing going on in the Dodge community I'm not in tune with.

ΕΝΔΕΚΑ said:
Like I said to the guy who wisely avoided buying the muscle car, when you're still coming up, stay away from luxury items.
But is this not indeed the case for you? Are you not falling into the "$30k millionaire" trap?

Where the cognitive dissonance is for me is that it seems like you want to use the used Viper as an illustration of a Fastlane success story, and you've definitely taken up the mantle of preaching the Fastlane philosophy from a perceived position of authority (and your liquidity defense thread is good) - but in another thread from last week you mentioned you were still a week away from starting your Fastlane plan and in this thread you say you're still 10 years away from your "freedom date" and that the car purchase has left you with 30k in investments. So are you "there" yet, or is this more an illustration of using smart financial planning to complete a vehicle purchase ala Secret Entourage "How to Drive an Exotic Car and Get Paid" except without the exotic car part? It seems like you are trying to demonstrate results before you've even started.

tl;dr - Don't get me wrong, it is a cool car, but it seems like you might be getting a little ahead of yourself. Insulting other guys with similar cars isn't going to turn a pre-owned Viper into a Koenigsegg. Enjoy it for what it is, a muscle car with tremendous power and track prowess. I'm looking forward to your progress thread to see how you close the loop.

D

DeletedUser394

I like that Challenger far more than the Viper.

Both are nice.

Speed + to exige for that post.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
congrats on getting rid of that. That car/rim combo is hideous.

f924bc76d5.jpg

I think it looks legit, haters gonna hate.

shakur

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 17, 2011
Thank you all for your feedback guys. We are not here to discuss what car is better or who's has bigger balls, the point of this thread is to share experiences so others will not make the same mistakes. whether its a Viper, Lambo or a Challenger they can all be purchased used by a side-walker who can finance now and pay it off like a mortgage. Many of my old friends that are in their late 20's living with there parents and have a good job are driving exotic cars not because they can afford it but since they have no responsibilities they don't know what to do with there money so they think buying these liabilities makes you successful. I didn't get rid of the Challenger because somebody didn't like the color, but because I made the choice to delay anything that will get in the way of my Plan to succeed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
SMH. This thread went south pretty quick.

A Challenger isn't really that cool of a car

Kinda of a dick statement bro. How would you feel if I would have chimed in and said a 15 year old, $35K used Viper is not a supercar... but I didn't. What is one man's cup of tea may not be another's ... to say one's choice in cars (or someone's reward for an accomplishment) "isn't that cool" is better kept to yourself.

congrats on getting rid of that. That car/rim combo is hideous.

:nonod:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Everyone seems to think I was dissing the challenger. I love the Challenger, I even looked at one very seriously last spring. I didn't word my statement carefully-when I said "not cool," I meant, compared to the damage it does to your liquidity it is not worth it for the cool factor involved (no car is worth it if it harms your prospects for wealth) and he made the right choice to drop it and focus. U/Shakur said it wasn't worth the cool factor he experienced in it right here:

yes I was ballin in front of my friends and others but really I had a poor mans mentality. This car hurt me financially and after I picked up MJs book I got rid of the car and now im debt free working on my fast-lane plan.

What I thought I was doing was just repeating his sentiments, but people are acting like I said his car was the worst thing ever. It's a really nice car. I'd still like to have one.

Thanks to MJ for re-directing the thread. Also, if you'd said this to me:

I would have chimed in and said a 15 year old, $35K used Viper is not a supercar... but I didn't

I'd have told you that the title "I bought an old car and people commented on it" wouldn't have garnered much interest.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I doesn't matter if you are driving this -
dodge-shadow-parts.jpg

Or this -

bugatti_veyron_hires.jpg

It's about what you want from life. Cars may be your thing. A nice house might be your thing. Fine foods and beautiful women (Or for the ladies, Men) Or a secure future for you future generations.
Really the only thing you take with you when you die is your knowledge and a cheap suit(Where is the value when you're dead).

You will be remembered by your actions and not your cars or clothes.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
..and right back at ya, a used Viper is by no means a Supercar.

Ok. That's not important to me, it was a good tagline for a title. However, I am curious about why everyone on here seems to be adhering to an entirely different definition of supercar than the whole rest of the online car community. Being a supercar isn't typically something that you can lose with age or value (cf. Top Gear's segment "£1000 Supercars," which featured old beater Lambos, Lotuses, and the like). A 355, Testarosa, 95 911 Turbo, 91 NSX, 94 Viper, and 2001 Vanquish are still supercars even though they're old and cost less than a BMW. The Gallardo won't stop being a supercar in 20 years when it costs $40K.

What's not that cool about a Challenger?

Exactly what its owner said wasn't cool, that it hurt his financial security. Nothing's wrong with the car at all, I love SRT8 Challengers.

I expected to see a Fastlane exit and a Mclaren (there's a dealership in the western suburbs) or a Porsche Carerra GT or a Koenigsegg or a Zonda, not a used Viper.

Why? I didn't say anything like that in the title. Every time anyone has asked me about how to get rich (except that kid at the car wash, I'll cop to that), on here, I've told them to ask someone else.

But is this not indeed the case for you? Are you not falling into the "$30k millionaire" trap?

It would be pretty silly to tell someone to not do something in a thread that was about me doing the thing I was telling them not to do, no?

Where the cognitive dissonance is for me is that it seems like you want to use the used Viper as an illustration of a Fastlane success story,

No. I've made some progress. After my initial post, people asked, so I said I'd share a progress thread, but you'll notice I didn't hype or encourage people to take an interest in or emulate my plan in the original post. I'm not preaching with any kind of authority, I observed the validity of something MJ wrote without having gone through a liquidation event, just like you can observe the effects of gravity without being a physicist. I bought something, saw something, and wrote about what I saw to encourage people that what MJ wrote seems to be right, from where I'm standing, which is not at the tail end of liquidation. As I've said to everyone else, there's a lot of authorities on the fastlane here, if you want to know about it, ask them. It says fastlane rookie right on my avatar.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
The Dodge Viper ACR was the fastest production car around the nurburgring until the 1 million dollar Porsche 918 beat it.

That means it was faster than literally EVERY Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, everything...

The Dodge Viper is absolutely a super car. Period.

As for the Challenger. It's not meant to be a track car. It's meant to be an awesome, front engine V8 American Muscle car. It does what it needs to do.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
[video=youtube;t3ZNIuF_ScQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ZNIuF_ScQ[/video]

Cool lessons,
Most here don't have much to contribute other than that the lessons you learnt were really cool.
Otherwise we'll end up doing this.

Supercars are built to be enjoyed. Have a blast man.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I remember when the Viper first came out. The owner of the Powerhouse Gym I trained at bought one right away. He was a total dick. Not because he bought the car...because he screwed so many people in so many ways..me included (business). He's dead now..meh.

So I'm REALLY glad to finally know someone else who owns a Viper. Now it's a positive link. Viper-Fastlaner.

Enjoy and good luck with your venture.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Im not a fan of the car honestly, but that story is definitely one for the books. Congratulations on your success. I can literally smell mine coming, and those takeaway quotes literally just fueled me to do even more work. I have a small business and make 10k minimum a month. I am now producing two products that I think will be the real start of my 6 figure salary. I also have some other small ventures, but in all honesty I cannot wait to get into my Audi R8 or Lambo. Seriously thank you so much for more inspiration. I believe in a years time I will be ready, when I turn 21 definitely. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Avus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jun 18, 2013
I love it! I can't seem to find it, but what year car is it?

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I have a small business and make 10k minimum a month. I am now producing two products that I think will be the real start of my 6 figure salary.

Good for you. Just remember to be well on your way before you buy a Lambo. It's not like an American sports car with respect to low repair costs and infrequent maintenence frequency. With Lambos and Ferraris, what I've always heard is that if you can't afford two, you can't afford one.

Zetta

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 31, 2013
I am 20y entrepreneur living in Finland atm. Moving in beginning of January in Malta to set up my headquarters because there I will have unlimited possibilities to grow. Definitely going to launch progress thread or blog here in fastlane.com as well because I must be accountable on spending money to someones who take my head off if I F*ck up. Friends don't do that. They talk you over to alcohol, drugs etc.

I committed myself for weeks for active reading to this forum and all the valuable knowledge I have discovered from this forum I have saved up in google drive. The amount of notes I have written equals at least 2 books. No stories, just clear value knowledge when turned in action will get me/you/us what ever we desire. Next action step: stop active reading on this forum, start re-reading/re-writing the notes. Start mastering the notes. Start using in real life the knowledge you have.

Please... all of you. MJ, Snowbank, zen*******, Healthstatus, JackEdwards, Vigilante... stop posting... give us some time to practice and master the knowledge you share in this forum. You post more value then we can learn. This "joke" is my way of saying I appreciate what you guys are doing here. Thanks. People like you make forums valuable. I don't know your real names or street addresses so I can't come and hug you but I assume this post will make the message clear.

This part of the text truly concerns other entrepreneurs who are in similar situation so make sure you read it if you are 20 ish entrepreneur who's success is starting to show up.

Are you guys aware that the knowledge that is shared in this forum is not enough for you to succeed? Example in this thread they talk about how it is a mistake to buy car that costs a lot compared how wealthy you truly are? You usually know what is right, but you do the wrong thing like buying a car with money that you would have the opportunity to use more profitable way? it is not about saving 200k when not buying car. It is about saving time. 200k saves you a lot of time to build the wealth you need to buy 10x ferraris.

I myself have very strong desire for everything exotic and obviously I am not the only one here.The challenge will be in the discipline. Sure, I can handle myself when living alone and when not surrounded with people that share different beliefs than I do. But usually the circumstances are not like that. Now I am moving to Malta and I know in advance the temptations will be unbelievable big and the push I get from people around me is consistent.

I am aware that there is a lot of other young entrepreneurs facing the same challenges I will face when I move to Malta. Let me tell you little bit about the challenges to make sure we are at the same page:

I will be surrounded by poker players that truly loves spending money. They like to get high and drunk. I got nothing against that, I just don't want to do that myself. I have bigger things I want to do. I spend my free time by collecting experiences. Going out to skydive, go out to flyboarding, go out learn to surf, learn to play quitar, talk some random girls into 3 some sex in some exotic place. Red wine and weed is okay time to time but thats it. I want to be happy and live the reality I builded myself, not drunk and talking, not high and dreaming... I want to be wealthy, healthy and free.

So the challenge is to say no and not to fall into their sales pitch.

It is very hard to say no to people. To live with people that have different beliefs. I understand and I am able to view the world with their eyes too but what I cannot tolerate is that they try to say me what to do and how to live my life. They try to sell me their ideas and beliefs. I don't judge people, I don't hate, I don't laugh at them, I laugh with them, I teach them if I have the expertise to teach them about something, I don't push my beliefs to them etc. Sell your products to people who are looking for you. Not people who have no interest on what you are selling. So, Please, shut the F*ck up if you don't know what you are talking about. Let me start my businesses and fail... Failing, growing and Stepping up thats life. Progress baby. Progress. "It is not about the destination but the journey that takes us there" - dunno

Pushing is rude. So many people choose to push it and that leads eventually losing people. Fun story is that many people have lost my friendship, they don't get respect from me or anything else from me anymore. Not even "hello, how are you doing?" questions... It is hard to say no. That is the challenge. Staying behind your beliefs when facing constant and great sales pitches... They paint the great image in your head how awesome it would be. They move you from emotional state to buying state and soon before you realise you are doing something you in deep down know you don't want and afterwards you are backing it up with some bullshit logic reasonings... They use the same F*cking principle I use in picking up chicks... F*cking retards...

After living almost a year on isolation from "normal" people it is time to get back there and be strong!
The conclusion I have become on overcoming the challenge of other people trying to speak you to do things you don't want to do is. You must have accountability. Somebody who is nasty. Somebody who rips your head off. You need someone who is a**hole enough to come and take from you the accountability price when you lose. You need discipline. Practise and grow your discipline/will power the same way you work out your muscles. Send clear message to others what you want and what you are not going to do. If they do not respect it, F*ck them. Walk away or take your game to the next level and send them very convincing message and make them your bitch. The only people you cannot walk away is your audience. The people you produce to. Anyways, feel free to bring your guns in the table so people who have this challenge can win it.

If you missed the point of this topic here it comes more simpler: Don't spend money, use it to get more speed. This thread was about buying expensive cars and my message is about the real challenge that world offers to us. It is also an opportunity for us to build extremely strong discipline. Mentality: Everything to me and now does not work but that is the mentality people take. Not because they can't handle their discipline, but because they can't handle the progress to gain the right skills.

Love, don't hate :tiphat:

- Fastlane Fish

Investfourmore

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 24, 2013
Greeley CO
New to the site

On Saturday I bought a Dodge Viper ACR from Kansas, and drove it the 1100 miles home. The trip could have doubled as a collection of vignettes on sidewalk/slowlane/fastlane mindsets; the story MJ told about how the Countach stunned his sleepy ice cream stand was played out again and again in small towns in Kansas, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.

-The guy who picked me up from the airport was a wonderfully kind, cheerful, and talkative gentleman. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him though, at 79 years old he described himself as the "low man on the totem pole" at the car dealership. After the printing company he worked for most of his career failed (fortunately leaving him with his pension and some money,) he became "semi retired." He chauffers people to-from the airport to pay the bills. How'd you like to be working at 79? How about working as "the low man on the totem pole?" His reaction to the Viper purchase? "Never in all my life would I have been able to afford an exotic car like that." He was three times my age and had done everything right: Got a pension, worked hard for a company, married, never divorced, went to college (you can find out a lot about a guy from Kansas in an hour).

-At my first stop, some people working at a hand car-wash came up to talk to me about the car. One particularly intent guy in his 20's seemed to be dying to say something, so I asked if he wanted to sit in it. He did, and was going crazy. then he asked me if we could drive two blocks over and buzz his girlfriend's house. I was feeling generous, so I agreed. After we waved to the stunned girl (she was sitting on her front step), I returned him to his work. He sighed, "I'll never be able to get a job that pays the bank to afford something like this."

I told him the truth: "If you want to drive a 3 series or a Lexus, get a better job. If you want to drive a supercar, create a better job."

He looked puzzled and confused, and walked away quickly without asking a follow-up.

-I stopped in Missouri to get dinner, and a crowd formed immediately. Teens leaving the local Wal-Mart took pictures while one of their parents chided, "get a good look, you'll never be able to afford it." Self fulfilling advice from role models.

-At a stop in Illinois, a guy asked me how much I paid for the car. When I told him (it wasn't very much), he just said "I hope you got good financing." and drove away in his early 2000's Cadillac before I could respond. I paid cash.

-The stop in West Virginia for breakfast was the most dramatic. The McDonald's that didn't have any other customers (nothing else was open at 4AM in nowheresville) completely emptied out: The manager, staff, everybody came out to see the car. A guy driving by pulled into the parking lot and was going crazy. When his girlfriend tried to get him to get going, he kept saying "No way baby no way, this is my absolute dream car, my dream car, I'll never be this close again. After this I'm going to have to go back to driving it in video games forever."

The amazing thing is that about two months ago I'd have been saying many of these same things, perhaps more slowlane-y and less sidewalk-y in some instances, but same deal: My job is not good enough, car is too frivolous, I'll never have it, in my dreams, be happy you have a pension, maybe when you're 65, etc.

I'm going to be creating a progress thread in the near future to illustrate how I did it. I've been working so hard on my fastlane plan the last few weeks (I wish I could say that this 31 hour trip was the only time recently I've gone a day without sleeping), that I don't really have time. As it is now, I'm just rambling my excitement, but I want the progress post to be specific, scientific, and methodical so it adds the most value to readers over the long term.

Takeaways:

1. Do authority figures and role models tell you "in your dreams!" when you talk about financial freedom? Are you doing anything to counteract that?

2. Are you betting everything on a life that will make you the "low man on the totem pole" as an octogenarian while the bright eyed kid next to you lives your dreams in his 20's?

3. Do you get excited about the fruit of the Fastlane but then don't have that same excitement when figuring out how to plant the tree to grow it?

4. Is your solution to money problems "I need to find better job" rather than "I need to make a better job?"

5. Are you watching on TV, reading about, or playing a video game representation of your dream life, while the person you're pretending to be is out there really living it?

If so, wake up. There's a better way.

I found this site because I saw this thread on Facebook. I love this post! I am a car nut and I was in Dallas a couple months ago at the Lamborghini Dealership. I was looking at a Diablo they had there to see if I would fit in it. I have always dreamed of a Countach, but heard they are extremely small. I am 6'1 with size 14 shoes and heard I won't fit. I also knew the Diablos were a little larger inside and if I couldn't fit in it, I couldn't fit in a Countach. I fit in the Diablo! Barely, I had to take my shoe off for my foot to squeeze between the brake pedal and sidewall, but I had dress shoes on. I also learned I won't fit in the Countach as it is smaller. That may have been a blessing in disguise as I hear the Diablo is a much better car all around. It is still a V12 Lambo. :) The reason this post really hit home was the Diablo is actually within my buying range right now and after I realized I really could buy one I started thinking everyone's going to think I'm a rich bastard in this car. I realized right then my money attitude was off and I had a definite bias against the extreme wealthy. I am an entrepreneur, own my own real estate business, invest in real estate and I have realized you have to make it yourself by creating not working for someone else. Great post!

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
I hope yours didn't harm you financially like mine did, because it really is a great, great car. If only I'd had MJ's book back then.

I never buy a car worth more than 10% of cash reserves and always cash on hand unless I need deductibles at that time.

Last edited:

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
It's been ongoing for INSIDERS for a while now, but the progress thread for the outside that will contain a good portion of the info will be out towards the end of this month, when I announce a big milestone in my progress. Follow me if you want to be kept in the loop; things are moving, and It'll drop on the outside shortly.

steve10765

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 14, 2016
It's been ongoing for INSIDERS for a while now, but the progress thread for the outside that will contain a good portion of the info will be out towards the end of this month, when I announce a big milestone in my progress. Follow me if you want to be kept in the loop; things are moving, and It'll drop on the outside shortly.

May I ask if you ever posted a public thread? I'm having trouble finding it.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
I wonder what it'll be like in the Marina when I pull up in the Sunseeker Predator convertible... Hmm...

No time to think about it, gota work!

king156

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Feb 26, 2016
still rather an early model 458 with 20k on the clock for £100k... but yeh like MJ said whatever floats your boat

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.