The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am a new deaf fast laner and I want to share my story. (Long read)

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Hey everyone!,

My name is Gabriel, I am from Dallas, TX, US.A., I am currently reading MJ's "Millionaire Fastlane "book, and loving every single page of it!.
The biggest reason why I really needed to pick this book up is because I grew up with an anarchist point of view during my teens (pro-people, against government corruption) mainly because I was born and grew up in Mexico City, Mexico, where corruption is a way of life. I struggled with my own mindset on never liking to look up to abusive authority and always being pro-people. I felt that people, in general, should always be comfortable on being in control, being comfortable with their own skills and capability to make decisions without caring about other people's opinions, that everyone should really wake up and realize that they only have one life and there's no reason to live someone else's dream instead than forging their own dreams, and that life in general is full of adventures and inevitable consequences to actions that it should be challenging (in a good way) to learn from good and bad experiences and wanting to feel comfortable with taking risks (calculated risks, please).

I come from a visual effects and interactive media development background, I spent a decade of my life working on professional studios as a digital media artist and lately, as a virtual reality and augmented reality programmer. On March of this year, I decided to take the leap and start my own company about VR/AR development to "test the waters" and learn more about myself. Thankfully, I learned early on that the service business can be a major pain in the a$$ since I have to rely on finding leads, getting clients to "go for it" and sign the contracts, and then spend a majority of my time developing apps that take a good chunk of my time. Completely disappointed that my passion does not go hand in hand with the fast lane way, I came to accept that I should try the product business instead, and it won't hurt me at all, not following my passion won't be a terrible thing to do since my main goal in life is to find happiness in enjoying life while I'm still young.

Now, let me share one important detail about me that I am hoping that it motivates everyone to really focus on having a successful and happy life: I was born premature at 5 months old, and I am deaf. Doctors told my parents that I only had 1% chance of survival and to say their goodbyes. I spent months on an incubator surviving little by little, and fortunately, I am at a point in my life where I am an independent 31 year old male, with a B.A. in Arts and Technology, using a cochlear implant to communicate with people, and really wanted to make the most out of life. I was given a SECOND CHANCE at life.
There's a lot of people among us that have disabilities, and truly are not capable of being in control of their lives but they accept who they are and make the most out of it. So, if you are an able person, with no disabilities, and have complete control of your life... BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, YOU ARE PERFECTLY CAPABLE TO FIND HAPPINESS.

I say this because as much as I want to run a business independently, my hearing impairment makes it really difficult to maintain a conversation on the phone and have clarity in communication when it comes to important matters like talking to potential clients or making sure you don't F*ck up an order with the manufacturer.
But whatever, I know there are tools at my disposal to circumvent around these obstacles. If not, I will figure out how to make more money to hire someone to do the communicating for me (with background check, and all...of course). My biggest obstacle here is that I am still new to the game, and at 31...I have to put many things on hold like starting a family or worry about a mortgage on a new home. That's fine, I rather pay for a home in full than paying interest for 30+ years...

During my journey, I've noticed that society in general brainwashes us all to do the 9-5 job without having any direction in life, and that is pretty sad considering that I don't sense any urgency in people when they realize that their living on borrowed time. Seriously, I stress out knowing that having a heart defect, I am more likely to die from heart disease than the average Joe/Jane, and I still want the most out of life. It simply sucks having to live among slow laners that do not inspire or motivate, at all. This forum is an amazing place to find like minded people, and I feel very much at home with you all here.

So far, I've made several big mistakes this year:

-I invested a good amount of money on a real estate business that was doing really well...bought, remodeled, and sold 3 homes this year alone. But my business partner is going through a divorce and instead of sending over the ROI, he listened to stupid advisors and was told that he shouldn't move money around until the divorce has been absolved, well...4 months later and I have yet to see a single cent of my investment. I might have to lawyer up since I have a signed contract before all this mess happened. It just sucks that I have to seek legal counseling and spend more money on this when my business partner could have just sent me the ROI before the divorce proceedings... I'd appreciate any tips or advise on this matter if someone has gone through the same issue with their business partners.

-Starting a business without a partner is a big no, I realized very quickly that 24 hours in a day is not enough. And I don't have two brains and 8 arms to do all the job required.

- Realizing too late the power of "NO", you don't need to give other people your time to fix THEIR BS problems...

-Not having a sense of direction in life's goals. Starting as a slow laner, it's very easy to fall in the trap of "going with the flow". Now, Waking up at 5 in the morning and being done by noon has given me so much freedom and control of my life by having a clear goal-oriented mindset.

-Learning that living among slow laners is painful. All of my closest friends, mother, and grilfriend are slow-laners and I don't feel inspired and motivated around them.

-Really kicking myself for not having this mentality during my 20's, I feel like I have to learn as much as I can, as quickly as possible, and my hustle is much more defined than before, because like some people have FOMO (fear of missing out) in social media crap like traveling, fancy gadgets and cars, my FOMO is influenced by business success. I have traded video games for books, and I really wish I had done this much earlier in life.

-Not having the balls to take charge. Seriously guys, being deaf has made me incredibly insecure...worrying about people judging me from my accent, worrying about having to ask people to repeat what they said, and worrying about feeling that I will never be a leader without strong communication skills. Well, I recently figured out that it is not always necessary to be verbal about anything. It is okay to keep meetings short (and doesn't waste everyone's time), and being upfront about goals and strategy goes a long way.

Things I want to do:

-Really get into e-commerce.
-Learn marketing, and really get into getting a social media following to grow my brand and to promote my business.
- Learn the process of inventing something, finding a industrial engineer/designer who can help me design and make my ideas come to life. And, to patent them. (Any knowledge on this will be greatly appreciated.)
- Figure out what is that I can do that can provide exponential growth, that can provide passive income, and be an appreciating asset.

Anyways, this is my story. If you made it this far, you rock!.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Welcome to the forum! Happy to have you. I also live in Dallas, it’s a great city. We had a meetup a couple months ago but probably won’t have another until after the Summit what with the holidays approaching.

I’m curious about your connections in the deaf community, do you know ASL and utilize it? I would imagine you’re in a unique position to market your skills to that niche.

The house selling thing sounds awful. I hope you get your money back soon. Still, you now know a heck of a lot more about buying houses than most. Are you active on the Bigger Pockets forum? They’ve got great advice over there.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Glad to have you here, welcome.

Your RE partner's divorce should not be your money problem. It sounds like a bullshit excuse... even if I was getting a divorce and a lobotomy simultaneously, my partners, if I had any, would get the money due to them. Talking to a lawyer will probably help. They are worth their weight in gold, when you find good, proactive ones.

Feel free to ask me to repeat myself any time. You're always Ok with me.

Feel like I should tag @jpanarra for some reason.

Good luck and good skill, looking forward to your progress.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Welcome to the forum! Happy to have you. I also live in Dallas, it’s a great city. We had a meetup a couple months ago but probably won’t have another until after the Summit what with the holidays approaching.

I’m curious about your connections in the deaf community, do you know ASL and utilize it? I would imagine you’re in a unique position to market your skills to that niche.

The house selling thing sounds awful. I hope you get your money back soon. Still, you now know a heck of a lot more about buying houses than most. Are you active on the Bigger Pockets forum? They’ve got great advice over there.
Thank you for the reception, Hopefully there will be another meetup in the close future, would be great to meet and network with fellow fastlaners in Dallas.
No, I haven’t really gotten into ASL, since little...I liked to challenge the status quo and attempted to participate in the “hearing” world and could lead a normal life. I did feel like the deaf/ASL community was somewhat limiting and not too proactive when it comes to broadening one’s ability to participate with normal hearing people. But, there are varied levels and causes of deafness that some people aren’t really capable of blending in the hearing community. Me, for example, I was a good candidate to receive a cochlear implant which I now have normal hearing levels on my implanted ear. But, not every deaf person is an ideal candidate to receive it so they’re either limited to hearing aids or ASL.
You just reminded me of Bigger Pockets, I will check it out and ask away. It’s just that the divorce thing just happened and I’ve been pushing my partner to send back the ROI for 3 months and while he is still trying, I doubt he’s in control of the situation. Sucks big time, I need the money to start investing in other ventures.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Glad to have you here, welcome.

Your RE partner's divorce should not be your money problem. It sounds like a bullshit excuse... even if I was getting a divorce and a lobotomy simultaneously, my partners, if I had any, would get the money due to them. Talking to a lawyer will probably help. They are worth their weight in gold, when you find good, proactive ones.

Feel free to ask me to repeat myself any time. You're always Ok with me.

Feel like I should tag @jpanarra for some reason.

Good luck and good skill, looking forward to your progress.
That’s the biggest issue I am having, we have a contract that says that as soon as the homes are sold, I get the investment transferred back to me. When we sold the first house, I got the ROI back no problem and he stuck to his word and the contract. But, he’s such a nice guy that I’m afraid he’s letting the ex wife and counselors to take control of the whole situation. I have my fair share of knowledge regarding divorce (runs in my family, including my parents’) and I told him to transfer the ROI ASAP and he didn’t listen.
Now I’m afraid that he might be in a position where he either lost all the cash on the split or he’s running away with the cash.
I am like you, if I were going through a divorce, I’d take care of my partners first, to avoid the headache of having to deal with other people’s problems on top of my own.
Damn it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro Gabriel, great to have ya. And congrats on beating the odds. @jpanarra is another forum peep who was born deaf, so you're not alone here from that standpoint, and you're not alone in mentality either as we're all aiming for the same thing, just different versions of it.

Welcome!

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Awesome intro Gabriel, great to have ya. And congrats on beating the odds. @jpanarra is another forum peep who was born deaf, so you're not alone here from that standpoint, and you're not alone in mentality either as we're all aiming for the same thing, just different versions of it.

Welcome!

MJ, first of all. Thank you for “The Millionaire Fastlane ” I’m currently reading it.
I have a question for you, and that’s something that has been bothering me for a while... In your opinion, could disabled people or people who depend on assistance to run a business, be stuck at being hitchhikers?
Most of the famous disabled people I’ve heard of are either remarkable people or motivational speakers. I’d like to think that I am the driver and have complete control of the business, but I do need assistance in the communication department, and giving this skill to someone else doesn’t put me in control. Unless all of my communication is done via email or text messaging, I do feel like I need to find an efficient solution to my communication issue to avoid becoming a hitchhiker.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If it helps, I knew a person who was quadriplegic (from age 14, diving accident) and started and ran a service business in a licensed industry. He provided expertise and management, others provided hands, phone answering, etc. We all get by with what we've got.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
@dauntless, welcome to the forum! You have already taken steps toward running a business. I think you should just go for it, wherever your ideas lead you. Think of all the business that can be conducted without ever speaking to a soul. Communicate via email, or hire someone if you need to handle phone calls. That is my opinion. You are an excellent communicator. I have reached out to several people on this forum, and done business with them, and I have never spoken to a soul. With so many avenues of communication available, it just isn't necessary.
Glad you are here!

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Hey everyone!,

My name is Gabriel, I am from Dallas, TX, US.A., I am currently reading MJ's "Millionaire Fastlane "book, and loving every single page of it!.
The biggest reason why I really needed to pick this book up is because I grew up with an anarchist point of view during my teens (pro-people, against government corruption) mainly because I was born and grew up in Mexico City, Mexico, where corruption is a way of life. I struggled with my own mindset on never liking to look up to abusive authority and always being pro-people. I felt that people, in general, should always be comfortable on being in control, being comfortable with their own skills and capability to make decisions without caring about other people's opinions, that everyone should really wake up and realize that they only have one life and there's no reason to live someone else's dream instead than forging their own dreams, and that life in general is full of adventures and inevitable consequences to actions that it should be challenging (in a good way) to learn from good and bad experiences and wanting to feel comfortable with taking risks (calculated risks, please).

I come from a visual effects and interactive media development background, I spent a decade of my life working on professional studios as a digital media artist and lately, as a virtual reality and augmented reality programmer. On March of this year, I decided to take the leap and start my own company about VR/AR development to "test the waters" and learn more about myself. Thankfully, I learned early on that the service business can be a major pain in the a$$ since I have to rely on finding leads, getting clients to "go for it" and sign the contracts, and then spend a majority of my time developing apps that take a good chunk of my time. Completely disappointed that my passion does not go hand in hand with the fast lane way, I came to accept that I should try the product business instead, and it won't hurt me at all, not following my passion won't be a terrible thing to do since my main goal in life is to find happiness in enjoying life while I'm still young.

Now, let me share one important detail about me that I am hoping that it motivates everyone to really focus on having a successful and happy life: I was born premature at 5 months old, and I am deaf. Doctors told my parents that I only had 1% chance of survival and to say their goodbyes. I spent months on an incubator surviving little by little, and fortunately, I am at a point in my life where I am an independent 31 year old male, with a B.A. in Arts and Technology, using a cochlear implant to communicate with people, and really wanted to make the most out of life. I was given a SECOND CHANCE at life.
There's a lot of people among us that have disabilities, and truly are not capable of being in control of their lives but they accept who they are and make the most out of it. So, if you are an able person, with no disabilities, and have complete control of your life... BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, YOU ARE PERFECTLY CAPABLE TO FIND HAPPINESS.

I say this because as much as I want to run a business independently, my hearing impairment makes it really difficult to maintain a conversation on the phone and have clarity in communication when it comes to important matters like talking to potential clients or making sure you don't F*ck up an order with the manufacturer.
But whatever, I know there are tools at my disposal to circumvent around these obstacles. If not, I will figure out how to make more money to hire someone to do the communicating for me (with background check, and all...of course). My biggest obstacle here is that I am still new to the game, and at 31...I have to put many things on hold like starting a family or worry about a mortgage on a new home. That's fine, I rather pay for a home in full than paying interest for 30+ years...

During my journey, I've noticed that society in general brainwashes us all to do the 9-5 job without having any direction in life, and that is pretty sad considering that I don't sense any urgency in people when they realize that their living on borrowed time. Seriously, I stress out knowing that having a heart defect, I am more likely to die from heart disease than the average Joe/Jane, and I still want the most out of life. It simply sucks having to live among slow laners that do not inspire or motivate, at all. This forum is an amazing place to find like minded people, and I feel very much at home with you all here.

So far, I've made several big mistakes this year:

-I invested a good amount of money on a real estate business that was doing really well...bought, remodeled, and sold 3 homes this year alone. But my business partner is going through a divorce and instead of sending over the ROI, he listened to stupid advisors and was told that he shouldn't move money around until the divorce has been absolved, well...4 months later and I have yet to see a single cent of my investment. I might have to lawyer up since I have a signed contract before all this mess happened. It just sucks that I have to seek legal counseling and spend more money on this when my business partner could have just sent me the ROI before the divorce proceedings... I'd appreciate any tips or advise on this matter if someone has gone through the same issue with their business partners.

-Starting a business without a partner is a big no, I realized very quickly that 24 hours in a day is not enough. And I don't have two brains and 8 arms to do all the job required.

- Realizing too late the power of "NO", you don't need to give other people your time to fix THEIR BS problems...

-Not having a sense of direction in life's goals. Starting as a slow laner, it's very easy to fall in the trap of "going with the flow". Now, Waking up at 5 in the morning and being done by noon has given me so much freedom and control of my life by having a clear goal-oriented mindset.

-Learning that living among slow laners is painful. All of my closest friends, mother, and grilfriend are slow-laners and I don't feel inspired and motivated around them.

-Really kicking myself for not having this mentality during my 20's, I feel like I have to learn as much as I can, as quickly as possible, and my hustle is much more defined than before, because like some people have FOMO (fear of missing out) in social media crap like traveling, fancy gadgets and cars, my FOMO is influenced by business success. I have traded video games for books, and I really wish I had done this much earlier in life.

-Not having the balls to take charge. Seriously guys, being deaf has made me incredibly insecure...worrying about people judging me from my accent, worrying about having to ask people to repeat what they said, and worrying about feeling that I will never be a leader without strong communication skills. Well, I recently figured out that it is not always necessary to be verbal about anything. It is okay to keep meetings short (and doesn't waste everyone's time), and being upfront about goals and strategy goes a long way.

Things I want to do:

-Learn marketing, and really get into getting a social media following to grow my brand and to promote my business.
- Learn the process of inventing something, finding a industrial engineer/designer who can help me design and make my ideas come to life. And, to patent them. (Any knowledge on this will be greatly appreciated.)
- Figure out what is that I can do that can provide exponential growth, that can provide passive income, and be an appreciating asset.

Great intro! I read the whole thing. :fistbump:
Welcome to the forum.

Crazy story about your RE properties. Hope you get that all sorted out.

MJ, first of all. Thank you for “The Millionaire Fastlane ” I’m currently reading it.
I have a question for you, and that’s something that has been bothering me for a while... In your opinion, could disabled people or people who depend on assistance to run a business, be stuck at being hitchhikers?
Most of the famous disabled people I’ve heard of are either remarkable people or motivational speakers. I’d like to think that I am the driver and have complete control of the business, but I do need assistance in the communication department, and giving this skill to someone else doesn’t put me in control. Unless all of my communication is done via email or text messaging, I do feel like I need to find an efficient solution to my communication issue to avoid becoming a hitchhiker.
I think we're at a time in history where people interact by phone or face-to-face less than ever before. I'd say it's a fair bet that you could get away with people never even knowing you were deaf.

You are an excellent communicator with the written word, and people hate meetings anyway. So I'd say just be yourself and don't let people cut you down.

I've been inspired more than once by the story of Jon Morrow. Check it out if you haven't heard of him.

I'm sure we're all in for a huge dose of being inspired by you as well!

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
If it helps, I knew a person who was quadriplegic (from age 14, diving accident) and started and ran a service business in a licensed industry. He provided expertise and management, others provided hands, phone answering, etc. We all get by with what we've got.
QUADriplegic????
As in paralyzed on all 4 limbs???

I think we're at a time in history where people interact by phone or face-to-face less than ever before. I'd say it's a fair bet that you could get away with people never even knowing you were deaf.

You are an excellent communicator with the written word, and people hate meetings anyway. So I'd say just be yourself and don't let people cut you down.

I've been inspired more than once by the story of Jon Morrow. Check it out if you haven't heard of him.
Wow!!! Just Wowww!!!
Never heard of him until now, read that link and my jaw dropped.
That's friggin' inspirational! Almost unbelievable.
Its amazing what some people with MAJOR disabilities have been able to pull off.
While a good number of us with 4 limbs and 5 senses intact keep pulling up excuses one after the other, on why we can't get things done.
Thanks for the link.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
That's impressive, it definitely lights a fire up my a$$. No excuses.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
@dauntless, welcome to the forum! You have already taken steps toward running a business. I think you should just go for it, wherever your ideas lead you. Think of all the business that can be conducted without ever speaking to a soul. Communicate via email, or hire someone if you need to handle phone calls. That is my opinion. You are an excellent communicator. I have reached out to several people on this forum, and done business with them, and I have never spoken to a soul. With so many avenues of communication available, it just isn't necessary.
Glad you are here!
Thank you for the warm welcome. For some time, I did think about the current era of technology and how everyone is really okay with texting and e-mail. However, I did learn that body-language and spoken communication are far more important than we think, because as humans...we decipher people better through emotions and that's a skill I am still working on. Moreover, if normal hearing people tell me that it isn't a big deal as I think, it does bring comfort to know that maybe I am creating a problem out of thin air and should ignore it.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Great intro! I read the whole thing. :fistbump:
Welcome to the forum.

Crazy story about your RE properties. Hope you get that all sorted out.

I'm sure we're all in for a huge dose of being inspired by you as well!
Bekit, I read the article, and this is exactly what I am talking about. There are people out there who find ways to make it work and that's incredibly inspiring. We cannot be complaining or belittling ourselves when we know we can take full advantage of what we got to pursue happiness.
Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Thank you for the warm welcome. For some time, I did think about the current era of technology and how everyone is really okay with texting and e-mail. However, I did learn that body-language and spoken communication are far more important than we think, because as humans...we decipher people better through emotions and that's a skill I am still working on. Moreover, if normal hearing people tell me that it isn't a big deal as I think, it does bring comfort to know that maybe I am creating a problem out of thin air and should ignore it.
@dauntless, you aren't creating a problem, I just wanted you to not overestimate the significance.
Also, you mentioned that the visual arts business you have created is not fastlane, but remember another way to achieve that fastlane goal is to sell your business, so could you nurse your business to the point where business is overwhelming, then hire more employees and gradually extricate yourself from the daily grind to make it less dependent on you and more sellable?

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York

Things I want to do:

I would think again whether or not you need a business partner. Many of us have done great without one.

Also the most important thing that is missing from your post and your to do list: Build a business around something you can add value to.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
I would think again whether or not you need a business partner. Many of us have done great without one.

Also the most important thing that is missing from your post and your to do list: Build a business around something you can add value to.
Definitely, I got involved with Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality since there's exponential projected growth in the upcoming years. The problem with this business is that you got to grow a following, network, and reputation before the business can gain traction and this can take several months/years to get to a point where the business stars seeing any profit.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Hey, I am back in the forums, and since my last post...I fell into a bad place in my life due to the anxiety of not having my investment money. This year has been a real rollercoaster, at the beginning of the year I participated in a hackathon at MIT and got to meet a lot of people who are into the VR/AR world, so there was some progress.
And, after several months of brainstorming with a litigation lawyer, I finally reached a settlement against the defendant and I am supposed to get my investment money back by July 31st.
During quarantine, I was feeling a lot of uncertainty due to not feeling 100% in control being in the fastlane with software development since I lack strong communication, marketing, and sales skills. So, when July arrives, I might get into the product sales business and see if I can do better by selling faster, then funding the service business with the profit made. Still unsure if that'll work but it should be a start.
Moreover, I purchased Spin Selling to read in the meantime, and I am still looking for good educational content on marketing and copywriting since I am also very interested in this aspect of the business, not because of the money but I'd like to think that it should be fun to brainstorm on efficient and captivating methods to get people to invest.
I also have been watching videos on Amazon FBA, general e-commerce stuff like dropshipping, finding manufacturers, and the sort. One particular tool that I had high interest in was Helium10, is there anything similar out there for non-e-commerce markets? basically i'd like to have a tool to learn market segmentation based on industries and trends. I have never studied marketing and I don't have a mentor, so I need tog et my hands dirty on understanding this aspect better and perhaps, this can help me with my SaaS / product businesses.

Cheers.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Hey Fastlaners,
Just a long overdue update:

I closed my Virtual Reality business and I won my lawsuit settlement against my ex-real estate partner in court but I still have yet to collect reward since the dude is broke!. It has been a rough ride during COVID and had some real bastardized stress during this time.

BUT, the good news is that during the pandemic I had a chance to get into e-commerce and finally DO the work. And guess what, I'm at a point that it's been possible to make $1-5k A DAY, but boy, between me and my fiancée, we can only handle a few days of sales every week due to the amount of products we have to pack and ship, there's definitely room for growth and thankfully, we are healthy and able to grind for long hours and get quality sleep.

One thing that's important to mention, I feel more satisfied with having a partner in business than working alone and I encourage new entrepreneurs to do the same. Having a partner can help with giving each other the time to grow and create a synergy of opinions and healthy criticism regarding doing business. And MAYBE, work on a secondary stream of income as an individual to achieve the commandment of control at 100%.

I also got certified in several Marketing courses and put into practice many strategies including social media, advertising, SEO, and hired a super talented copywriter to help with content creation. It's crazy how all of this seems to be much more simple than writing a bunch of code and brainstorming on problem-solving for hours. I actually find it that creating sales funnels and advertising campaigns can be equally as time-consuming but more likely to be rewarding since you get results no matter whether the campaign is bad or excellent. Same with sales, knowing right off the bat that the customer is the most important aspect of business, it's always easy to create strategies around them, so problems aren't really as big unless you gamble a lot of money without doing prior research.

Honestly, I feel much less stress in sales than in software engineering, it feels more fulfilling to be able to pay the bills, have money for food for the day, a roof, and have spare change to enjoy leisure time. I do believe that I still have a long way to go when it comes to scaling and cutting down my work time by hiring people, and with automation tools. I've also been reading "The Slight Edge" which teaches you how be consistent with progress has exponential growth, so the older I have become, the more I understand that slow but steady goes a long way.

Thank you for reading.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...