The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I will be buying a deep freezer and a while or half cow soon. I think for a few $1000 it’s going to be good piece of mind knowing it’s there.

Anyone who has a few $1000 and doesn’t know what to invest in. Aside from your own business you’re not going to get any return worth bothering about so I’d just be stocking up on food and essentials. Unlike stocks you can guarantee it’s only going to go up
I know some cattle ranchers, and there are friends of mine with their own chickens, and vegetable gardens, but it's still concerning. I'll probably buy some canned food soon...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
A big 6000cfm exhaust fan of mine was on its last legs so I went to replace it. I've purchased about 5 of these in the past for $59.99. the price yesterday? $89.99.

I'd love me some of that 8% inflation right about now.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I know some cattle ranchers, and there are friends of mine with their own chickens, and vegetable gardens, but it's still concerning. I'll probably buy some canned food soon...
I’d be very concerned if I lived in Europe right now. What’s happening with the Dutch farmers is off it’s head.

I’m not sure how Australia will go, theres so many farms around me and I already only shop local at the markets anyway, but prices are going up like crazy for cattle and we haven’t even introduced any crazy climate change depopulation agenda rules…. Yet. They’re coming, our new PM has just given 120m to Ukraine, spent more time overseas than in the country and is best buds with the putrid WEF horse Jacinta adhern. He’s making climate change promises left right and centre. Next thing you know we’ll be like Sri Lanka, a once rich a prosperous country full of food reduced to starvation.

We have coal and we ship it overseas to be burned for energy yet there’s an energy crises here because we are too woke to burn it here and have no power. Make it make sense.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Senator Tuberville, on the committee of agriculture, has bet big on commodity futures in cattle, corn, and a few more in the US... INSIDERS trading? Idk but apparently he believes pretty strongly that food is going to get scarce in the US, too.
It's pretty inevitable unless something drastic happens.

I've been looking at stats from the US Dept of Agriculture since 2018. Just a couple of details are enough to leave me shaking my head...

- The US is losing farmland to development at a rate of 3 acres per minute. [source]
- The average age of farmers in the US is 59.4 years [as of 2017] [source]
- Small farms are mostly losing money. Only huge farms are making money. [source, Table 71] (Drive through any agricultural community in the US and look at how broken-down the farmhouses are. Most farmers are not bringing home a livable wage, creating immense pressure to stop farming and do something else.)
- Global food production needs are rising because of increased population [source], but farmland productivity is going slightly down due to a number of factors including droughts and increased political pressure that makes farmers' lives harder. Basically, we've tapped into all the improvements that current technology, equipment & modern fertilizers will allow, and now we're capping out.
- "Extras" such as war in Ukraine, repeated "weird" disasters in food supply infrastructure (fires in food processing plants, sudden mysterious death of thousands of cattle in Kansas, extra closures of meat processing plants, etc) are only making the problem worse and accelerating the pace at which we will feel the heat.

Everything is pointing to a situation where a lot of people in the world are going to be very, very hungry.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019

I've been looking at stats from the US Dept of Agriculture since 2018. Just a couple of details are enough to leave me shaking my head...

- The US is losing farmland to development at a rate of 3 acres per minute. [source]
- Small farms are mostly losing money. Only huge farms are making money. [source, Table 71] (Drive through any agricultural community in the US and look at how broken-down the farmhouses are. Most farmers are not bringing home a livable wage, creating immense pressure to stop farming and do something else.)
- Global food production needs are rising because of increased population [source], but farmland productivity is going slightly down due to a number of factors including droughts and increased political pressure that makes farmers' lives harder. Basically, we've tapped into all the improvements that current technology, equipment & modern fertilizers will allow, and now we're capping out.
- "Extras" such as war in Ukraine, repeated "weird" disasters in food supply infrastructure (fires in food processing plants, sudden mysterious death of thousands of cattle in Kansas, extra closures of meat processing plants, etc) are only making the problem worse and accelerating the pace at which we will feel the heat.

Everything is pointing to a situation where a lot of people in the world are going to be very, very hungry.

I agree with most of what you said. However...

When I try to peal the onion, what I notice is that lot of what you are saying is also being pushed by MSM.

What I also know is that the MSM has a pattern of deception - and the "news" we see nowadays is by and large a form of advertisement.

"Food shortages are coming" has been shouted all year. I think some of this narrative is a marketing push by the fake-meat and processed food manufacturers.

But I've also heard a lot of concerns about top-soil degradation and issues with the competitiveness of farming - I just don't know how much of it is reality, and how much of it is marketing and psyops.

*EDIT*: I should add, I also take note of what's happening in Europe - and the bureaucracy around nitrogen for example further reminds me of fascist state-owned-corporation design principles, picking industry winners and loser, than actual shortages due to population growth or climate change and whatnot.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I agree with most of what you said. However...

When I try to peal the onion, what I notice is that lot of what you are saying is also being pushed by MSM.

What I also know is that the MSM has a pattern of deception - and the "news" we see nowadays is by and large a form of advertisement.

"Food shortages are coming" has been shouted all year. I think some of this narrative is a marketing push by the fake-meat and processed food manufacturers.

But I've also heard a lot of concerns about top-soil degradation and issues with the competitiveness of farming - I just don't know how much of it is reality, and how much of it is marketing and psyops.
Yeah, but when I was looking into this in 2018, NONE of this was being pushed by MSM. The factors were all concerning, but the concept of "food shortages" was looked at as a complete conspiracy theory, and anyone talking about it seriously was dismissed like "What's wrong with you? America is the breadbasket of the world! Food shortages? Bah!"

I look at it as a situation that has long been coming, with all the factors in place, and only now is it becoming so obvious to everyone that people can't hide it. Talking about it now is less likely to get you chalked up as a crackpot. At the end of the day, everyone wants to eat, even people in MSM.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
Yeah, but when I was looking into this in 2018, NONE of this was being pushed by MSM. The factors were all concerning, but the concept of "food shortages" was looked at as a complete conspiracy theory, and anyone talking about it seriously was dismissed like "What's wrong with you? America is the breadbasket of the world! Food shortages? Bah!"

This is a great point thanks for clarifying.

Strange times we live in, when it's so hard to know what's real and what's not. I'm grateful to be a part of this community, having a platform to openly debate ideas and help each other find missing links.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

This is pointing to a strong need for Fastlane agriculture businesses, in my opinion.

It's not new, it's not sexy, but farming is sorely needed, can be run profitably, uses a lot of advanced (and complicated) technology, and is grounds for seemingly endless more innovation!

Where are the farming entrepreneurs at? :)

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I will be buying a deep freezer and a while or half cow soon. I think for a few $1000 it’s going to be good piece of mind knowing it’s there.

Anyone who has a few $1000 and doesn’t know what to invest in. Aside from your own business you’re not going to get any return worth bothering about so I’d just be stocking up on food and essentials. Unlike stocks you can guarantee it’s only going to go up
something to look into: off grid electric/heating (at least heating/cooking with propane or wood) and sourcing/raising your own food.

You can also freeze dry or can food that lasts for years. All you need to can food is a hot water cooker and the glass jars and lids. Freeze dryer requires a special machine and hours of electricity. For less that $100 (my guess) you can start canning food that will last for years without any energy (compared to a freezer)

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
takes millions in equipment, and millions more in property (rented or owned).
in other words, most fastlane entrepreneurs wouldn't attempt it due to the high cost of entry $, low cost of entry (labor), and the inability to scale (time), compared to the need (most farmland is already farmland, so your simply buying a business and running it, vs being able to start from the ground up as most businesses do)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

takes millions in equipment, and millions more in property (rented or owned).
in other words, most fastlane entrepreneurs wouldn't attempt it due to the high cost of entry $, low cost of entry (labor), and the inability to scale (time), compared to the need (most farmland is already farmland, so your simply buying a business and running it, vs being able to start from the ground up as most businesses do)
true I guess, though I know there are some well-capitalized folks around here. There are certainly many of them on Twitter, but they're playing with mobile home parks and multifamily. Need to get into agriculture!

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I’d be very concerned if I lived in Europe right now. What’s happening with the Dutch farmers is off it’s head.

I’m not sure how Australia will go, theres so many farms around me and I already only shop local at the markets anyway, but prices are going up like crazy for cattle and we haven’t even introduced any crazy climate change depopulation agenda rules…. Yet. They’re coming, our new PM has just given 120m to Ukraine, spent more time overseas than in the country and is best buds with the putrid WEF horse Jacinta adhern. He’s making climate change promises left right and centre. Next thing you know we’ll be like Sri Lanka, a once rich a prosperous country full of food reduced to starvation.

We have coal and we ship it overseas to be burned for energy yet there’s an energy crises here because we are too woke to burn it here and have no power. Make it make sense.

What's been happening with Dutch farms?

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
On the plus side, gas is down from $5.19 to $4.49 per gallon here, and word is we should be looking at closer to $3.99 in another month or so.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
What's been happening with Dutch farms?
Just some "right wing white supremacists" getting mad because they don't want to "do their part" for their fellow man. Lol.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Just some "right wing white supremacists" getting mad because they don't want to "do their part" for their fellow man. Lol.
let me guess: inflation is out of control, they need to raise their prices because of rising costs, but the government wants them to farm for free or at a loss even though it's the government and central bank's fault everyone is losing their a$$ and starving?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
let me guess: inflation is out of control, they need to raise their prices because of rising costs, but the government wants them to farm for free or at a loss even though it's the government and central bank's fault everyone is losing their a$$ and starving?
Far worse.

The government is imposing rules and taxes and restrictions that will basically ensure they can’t run their farms and that Europe will run out of food.

They are going to solve climate change and the environment by starving everyone.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Far worse.

The government is imposing rules and taxes and restrictions that will basically ensure they can’t run their farms and that Europe will run out of food.

They are going to solve climate change and the environment by starving everyone.

That was always the end game of environmentalists.

A

Anon05554

This is pointing to a strong need for Fastlane agriculture businesses, in my opinion.

It's not new, it's not sexy, but farming is sorely needed, can be run profitably, uses a lot of advanced (and complicated) technology, and is grounds for seemingly endless more innovation!

One thing I am thankful for is my family's foresight when we chose to sink whatever coin we earned into buying land. Covid 19 and inflation have taught us that he who can feed his family at all times is wealthy indeed.

In Uganda,maize flour has tripled in price and so has the price of beans and groundnuts. The prolonged drought in the North Eastern region coupled with locust invasions have worsened the situation. People are dying like flies in the Karamoja region while the government is struggling to send them food relief.

I totally believe that Agriculture is the business to do based on CENTS, but few of us in developing countries can afford to do so because it calls for a lot of capital, which most of those who are willing to practice it have a hard time raising.

Personally, inflation is hurting my family mainly in the area of fuel($2 a litre). Otherwise, our beans, millet, fruits, bananas and potatoes are home grown and the surplus is fetching us previously unheard of prices.

For the first time, we have grossed 2143$ from coffee(remember my annual salary as a teacher is $2880!

I therefore agree with you that those who can should go the Agriculture way since there will always be need for food .

I have read posts from people on this forum complaining about the presence of weedkiller in some of the foods they eat. I have watched my family grow food organically for as long as I can remember.

Could the importation of organically grown foods from the third world become a fastlane business for a forum member? Just me asking in the hope of a partnership.

Good day members.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

One thing I am thankful for is my family's foresight when we chose to sink whatever coin we earned into buying land. Covid 19 and inflation have taught us that he who can feed his family at all times is wealthy indeed.

In Uganda,maize flour has tripled in price and so has the price of beans and groundnuts. The prolonged drought in the North Eastern region coupled with locust invasions have worsened the situation. People are dying like flies in the Karamoja region while the government is struggling to send them food relief.

I totally believe that Agriculture is the business to do based on CENTS, but few of us in developing countries can afford to do so because it calls for a lot of capital, which most of those who are willing to practice it have a hard time raising.

Personally, inflation is hurting my family mainly in the area of fuel($2 a litre). Otherwise, our beans, millet, fruits, bananas and potatoes are home grown and the surplus is fetching us previously unheard of prices.

For the first time, we have grossed 2143$ from coffee(remember my annual salary as a teacher is $2880!

I therefore agree with you that those who can should go the Agriculture way since there will always be need for food .

I have read posts from people on this forum complaining about the presence of weedkiller in some of the foods they eat. I have watched my family grow food organically for as long as I can remember.

Could the importation of organically grown foods from the third world become a fastlane business for a forum member? Just me asking in the hope of a partnership.

Good day members.
Absolutely! Amazing opportunity. Great job, and good idea. That would be a good connection and partnership to make with someone

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
Far worse.

Our government tried same. Some shitty laws that even i dont understand well were amended, the laws were something like this 1- farmers can sell their productions directly to population(like normally they wholesale it to merchant on market yard and then merchant to retailer and then consumer) 2- farmers can make contract with investors so that farmers get investment and investors gets production (the price is fixed with negotiation). And one more law. But farmer thought these laws are problematic and Punjab farmers protested for almost 7 8 months in harsh weather (some even died during it) and the laws were taken back.
I have heard that wealthy people are either buying farmlands or mass food storage in order to control the food prices in future. Commodities like wheat are being stored at mass buying it with minimum price possible for maximum profit. I think we will see monopoly in food too.

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
Something simple: I just paid $22 for a Chicken Teriyaki Plate + a side of Gyoza. This seems outrageous to me.

I'm a terrible cook and I live alone. This was at a Mom and Pop Teriyaki shop in a Seattle suburb.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Did they change the gas formula?

I'm in Canada, and premium now has a sticker that says "may contain up to 10% ethanol", this was not the case before.

My car struggles to get 11.8L/100km now while intentionally babying it in the city. It used to get 10.3L/100km. I have also lost about 1L on the highway as well, but that is harder to tell as I rarely drive highways these days.

I commented this to my brother and father, and they both noticed poorer fuel economy as well. Hmmmm.....

So for me this is over 10% more fuel being used for the same drives. Very odd, and very noticeable.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I'm in Canada, and premium now has a sticker that says "may contain up to 10% ethanol", this was not the case before.

My car struggles to get 11.8L/100km now while intentionally babying it in the city. It used to get 10.3L/100km. I have also lost about 1L on the highway as well, but that is harder to tell as I rarely drive highways these days.

I commented this to my brother and father, and they both noticed poorer fuel economy as well. Hmmmm.....

So for me this is over 10% more fuel being used for the same drives. Very odd, and very noticeable.

I just had the opposite of this when I have been out of Poland driving for the last week.

There is a noticeable improvement in the fuel economy I am getting in Denmark/Sweden compared to Poland.

It makes me think Poland have been watering down their gas for the last year.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I just had the opposite of this when I have been out of Poland driving for the last week.

There is a noticeable improvement in the fuel economy I am getting in Denmark/Sweden compared to Poland.

It makes me think Poland have been watering down their gas for the last year.

What kind of fuel are you buying? What station?

Also, my guess is that you're getting better fuel economy in Denmark/Sweden because you can't drive as fast as you can in Poland lol.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What kind of fuel are you buying? What station?

Also, my guess is that you're getting better fuel economy in Denmark/Sweden because you can't drive as fast as you can in Poland lol.

Ha that could be it too. I usually buy at BP.

I have been driving a bit slower here but the difference is still massive. Like a 25-30% improvement.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Ha that could be it too. I usually buy at BP.

Do you buy the premium one or the standard one? The premium one should be at least a few percent better than the standard one.

There may be other factors as well. Better city infrastructure (less stopping and starting), better roads (less swerving to avoid potholes), lower temperatures (less use of AC if you use it), and so on.

Also, with your crazy fuel-hungry car probably slowing down a little alone is enough to massively lower fuel consumption.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So last week I login to get my Homeowners Insurance policy renewal. Immediately I'm accosted by a banner that says, "INFLATION IS 9%. CONSTRUCTION COSTS HAVE INCREASED 18%"

So, I'm like, OK, my Homeowner's Insurance is going up. I get it. It's reasonable. I expect it.

I then look at my new annual insurance premium and guess what?

Did it increase by 9%?
18%
A happy medium of 13.5%?

Nope.

43% increase.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
So last week I login to get my Homeowners Insurance policy renewal. Immediately I'm accosted by a banner that says, "INFLATION IS 9%. CONSTRUCTION COSTS HAVE INCREASED 18%"

So, I'm like, OK, my Homeowner's Insurance is going up. I get it. It's reasonable. I expect it.

I then look at my new annual insurance premium and guess what?

Did it increase by 9%?
18%
A happy medium of 13.5%?

Nope.

43% increase.
Change providers every year. They always give you a cheap first year then jack it up and just hope you don’t notice after that. Same with car insurance. They’ve been doing this way before all this inflation.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014

hey, anecdotally I noticed my fuel economy being lower too.. also in Canada..
I usually fill up at Costco 91 octane.

that 10% ethanol sticker has always been there though at most gas stations. I think only Costco and like one other retailer - maybe Shell? Have 0% ethanol in their fuels.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
hey, anecdotally I noticed my fuel economy being lower too.. also in Canada..
I usually fill up at Costco 91 octane.

that 10% ethanol sticker has always been there though at most gas stations. I think only Costco and like one other retailer - maybe Shell? Have 0% ethanol in their fuels.
Premium used to be 0%. Now it all has that "up to 10% sticker" on all grades. I just filled up at Costco and premium has the sticker there too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.