The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Humble Beginnings !

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
I haven't posted or been on the forum in a while due to being busy with school, soccer, learning new skills, and making a new website to try to get passive income. With the end of this first website approaching I figured it'd be interesting to create this thread as my starting point. It'll just be nice to look back on.

The website I'm making right now isn't for a company but is going to be a general information website. I figured it'd be a great first project to include in my portfolio and kind of get my hands dirty and if it makes any sort of income at all then fantastic.

My new University is fantastic as opposed to my last one in that people here actually want to improve themselves. My schedule is also awesome in that I only have one class on Tuesdays and my Fridays are completely off. This gives me an absurd amount of time to stay ahead in my classes as well as learn new skills to apply to whatever projects I decide to take on.

Sorry if this was a bit long, hopefully within the week I'll have my website completely live and be able to post it here! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

New

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 2, 2016
I haven't posted or been on the forum in a while due to being busy with school, soccer, learning new skills, and making a new website to try to get passive income. With the end of this first website approaching I figured it'd be interesting to create this thread as my starting point. It'll just be nice to look back on.

The website I'm making right now isn't for a company but is going to be a general information website. I figured it'd be a great first project to include in my portfolio and kind of get my hands dirty and if it makes any sort of income at all then fantastic.

My new University is fantastic as opposed to my last one in that people here actually want to improve themselves. My schedule is also awesome in that I only have one class on Tuesdays and my Fridays are completely off. This gives me an absurd amount of time to stay ahead in my classes as well as learn new skills to apply to whatever projects I decide to take on.

Sorry if this was a bit long, hopefully within the week I'll have my website completely live and be able to post it here! :)

So what is the purpose of the website?
What is the business model?

Also, good luck with your progress! I also have amazing university schedule after I transfered so I know this feeling of joy to have time to work fully on your projects.

I'd strongly recommend you creating a "work-window" somewhere in the day where you work on your project and only on your project for X hours.

This makes you progress really quickly and makes you very productive. Speaking from own experience :D

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
So what is the purpose of the website?
What is the business model?

Also, good luck with your progress! I also have amazing university schedule after I transfered so I know this feeling of joy to have time to work fully on your projects.

I'd strongly recommend you creating a "work-window" somewhere in the day where you work on your project and only on your project for X hours.

This makes you progress really quickly and makes you very productive. Speaking from own experience :D

I don't want to give too much away but since I'm almost done I'm not too worried! It's a collection of information about speed limits and flows of traffic across the country. When I was on a roadtrip to visit my brother I kept wondering hmmm how fast could I go and not have to worry about getting a ticket lol.

So that's the general concept and then I'm gonna try to get some google ads on there for some small, but passive revenue. Other websites of this nature are making decent amounts so like I said I figured it'd be a good first project especially if something comes out of it!

I really like the work-window idea. I plan on making the entirety of Friday my dedicated window then more flexible ones throughout the week.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice! I'm glad transferring worked out well for you too.

DesignerOne.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Nov 29, 2016
Rochester, Ny
@Colin Panarra i remember that road trip ;)

Great idea for generating some passive revenue while you're focused on your studies!

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
It's live! After spending an entire month exactly I've managed to learn enough HTML5 and CSS3 to make this website happen. I'm buzzing right now, can't wait to start making websites for people. Thanks to my brother I might even have another website to make to add to my portfolio and make some money! Also thanks to him I was able to have a server for this haha.

Here is the link to it! How Fast Should I go?

I'm not sure if I'm going to use googleAds or amazon back links for passive income but I'll probably decide by the end of today.

JakeVW

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jul 27, 2016
Looks nice! One thing though, most of the time we call them highways, unless of course they actually are interstates. The one for Wisconsin says 70 for the rural/county highways, but I don't know how accurate that is, most places I know you wouldn't drive 70 down a county highway. That's just some details I picked up on though.

Overall the site looks nice. I look forward to seeing your progress, as I have just been beginning web design as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
Looks nice! One thing though, most of the time we call them highways, unless of course they actually are interstates. The one for Wisconsin says 70 for the rural/county highways, but I don't know how accurate that is, most places I know you wouldn't drive 70 down a county highway. That's just some details I picked up on though.

Overall the site looks nice. I look forward to seeing your progress, as I have just been beginning web design as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really appreciate the feedback! :)

I got all my information for legal speed limits from this site here | GHSA but I'll try to look more into some states and their county highways if possible as time goes on. I also agree about calling them highways because we do the same thing in New Jersey. Thanks again !

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
What's considered rural, what's considered urban?

I-90 in South Dakota is 80mph posted from Minnesota to Box Elder. Box Elder to Wyoming is 75mph, with drops to 65mph in Rapid City, Sturgis, Spearfish, and Sioux Falls.

Actual traffic is 84mph, 79mph, and 69mph respectively.

I can give you nebraska and wyoming too if you want.

Also, in the rural parts of the country, lots of people won't know what "urban" means. Also #2, where I live "interstate" means the federal funded interstates (I-90, I-80, I-25, I-229, I-29), and highways are the state roads.

How detailed are you going to get? Nebraska for instance, most of the highways on the west side of the state are 70mph, but on the east side they are 65mph...

Last edited:

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
I would consider Rural as highways and interstates that only have on and off ramps and some rest stops. Urban I'd consider going through towns themselves where you could just pull into a restaurant for example. I see how this could cause confusion and might clarify that on the home page.

I'm surprised to see that the same road changes speeds that frequently in one state from city to city so I'll have to look into that as I go on too...

My plan was to monitor traffic and see how it does and if there's enough interest to eventually go into individual interstates and highways like I-90 and I-80 as you mentioned.

Unfortunately my Adsense application was denied so I am going to fix that first and move on from there.

Thanks for the constructive criticism!

DesignerOne.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Nov 29, 2016
Rochester, Ny
@Colin Panarra Awesome progress! Did they explain why your AdSense application was denied, and do you have a idea of how you're going to address it?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I would consider Rural as highways and interstates that only have on and off ramps and some rest stops.

Controlled-access highway.

I would take note of the terminology used in the wiki page I linked above.

Maybe swap out the word "urban" for "City Centers" or something? That would be a blanket statement that basically says "The speed limit is 80mph, but around cities it is 65mph"

Just spit-balling here.

Hope that helps.

Colin Panarra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 29, 2016
Boston, Mass.
I love the link to the terminology and idea. I might change it to Freeways for urban based on the wikipedia link you gave and change urban interstate to local highways. City centers might work too. I'm just trying to think of a way to word it without being too vague or too wordy.

Every bit of information helps a lot thank you again !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.