The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HUGE life change, need advice!

D

DeletedUser394

Hey everyone,

I just found out today, that in less than 5 months I will be moving more than halfway accross the country to Calgary, Alberta. That will be the furthest west I will have ever been.

Pros;

-Good Poker Scene (poker is part of my plan)
-Clean City
-English Speaking (I live in a french speaking place now...I'm fluent, but it is annoying)
-I'll be closer to Scottsdale for the B&P 2011 :smxF:
-Closer to Vegas and Macau (Poker Mecca of The East)
-Good roads!! (you could bathe in the potholes here)
-My mother is moving there with a guy with $$$ that could probably help finance some of my ventures (example: He sold a $12M property of his recently)

Cons;

-I know only two people there (my aunt and cousin), (and my mother when we move).
-I've never been there before.
-I won't be able to finish my CEGEP (quebec university)
-INCREDIBLY inflated real estate prices, which will make it nearly impossible for me to get into the market. (I could probably invest in neighbouring towns)
-Incredibly far from Europe (where I will be playing poker tournaments)
-My cats will have to be put down (I've had some of them since I was 9-10 years old)
-It isn't european like montreal where I currently live
-I've never been anywhere other than montreal for more than a week.

Basically;

I'm very excited, for the poker and english-speaking, but incredibly apprehensive, because I will know only two people, and I will be leaving everything that is familiar behind.

I'm sad because my cats (whom I've been through a lot with) will have to be put down, and I'm pissed that the real estate prices are so high.

I'm happy because I want to leave Montreal, but unhappy because Calgary is not my ideal city. (however I will move myself from calgary after a year or two.. not sure where yet, but I will know after I travel a lot).

I know MJ dealt with this when he moved from Chicago to Phoenix. Has anyone else had to deal with a big change like this? How did you feel, and how did you deal with it?

Thanks guys and gals,

Ryan

:yourock:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MonTexan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Calgary is a great city! Awesome scenery and skiing nearby and the annual Calgary Stampede is something to see! I've made a few big moves and was always a bit apprehensive but it has always been worth it. You will gain some valuable life experience from being in a new place and having to meet new people...embrace it!

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hold the phones:

Why the hell do you have to "put your cats down" just because you are moving!?!

Pets are living things that you choose to take care of for life when you bring them into your home. You don't just kill them because they aren't allowed in your new place!?!

- Hakrjak

D

DeletedUser394

Hold the phones:

Why the hell do you have to "put your cats down" just because you are moving!?!

Pets are living things that you choose to take care of for life when you bring them into your home. You don't just kill them because they aren't allowed in your new place!?!

- Hakrjak

I agree with you. I myself am an animal wellfare activist (and a vegetarian). Unfortunately, this is not my choice to be made. (They aren't technically mine, their my mother's... I take care of them)

GreenHouses

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Apr 25, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
To some degree, I can relate...

When I was 23 years old I made a similar move from one part of Australia to another. It was a distance of about 1,700 km (1,000 miles) and I bought a one way ticket. That was when I left home to strike out on my own. I didn't know anyone in the new place when I made the move and was a fairly shy person, but it really forced to get get out of my shell and meet new people and make new friends.

The way I looked at it, I still had my family and some good friends back home but now a whole new world was opening up and that was exciting and what I focussed on.

Your move can be a fresh start for you, a chance to create a new "you" if you want to. You may as well embrace the change.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
To some degree, I can relate...

When I was 23 years old I made a similar move from one part of Australia to another. It was a distance of about 1,700 km (1,000 miles) and I bought a one way ticket. That was when I left home to strike out on my own. I didn't know anyone in the new place when I made the move and was a fairly shy person, but it really forced to get get out of my shell and meet new people and make new friends.

The way I looked at it, I still had my family and some good friends back home but now a whole new world was opening up and that was exciting and what I focussed on.

Your move can be a fresh start for you, a chance to create a new "you" if you want to. You may as well embrace the change.

+1

I know moving is a bit scary but it's ok... You will find new friends there, you will adjust and because of it you will improve yourself! Getting out of your comfort zone does that;)

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Sounds very exciting. Try to look at all the doors that open for you and not the doors that are shutting. It's a big shift to move like that and takes a lot of adjustment. If you can look at every situation and see how you can use it to your advantage you may find some wide open doors.

Make sure to keep us posted as things transpire throughout your move and transition. :smxF:

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Think of it as a big adventure. You say that you will move again in 1-2 yrs and I am guessing where ever you move to you will no nobody, so at least you know a few people where you are moving to now. As for the cats, try to work it out, I'm a animal lover and they offer unconditional love and don't deserve to be put down. At least find a new home for them.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Dude, look at weather.com... Southern Canada is north of Minnesota, I just don't understand why you folks don't watch what the birds do in fall :)

You'd know like ....10-20 people in Dallas

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Dude, look at weather.com... Southern Canada is north of Minnesota, I just don't understand why you folks don't watch what the birds do in fall :)

You'd know like ....10-20 people in Dallas

what are you advicing? that he should go south to minnesota? :)

Dallas ain't looking too pretty either. lol

Today
45°F | 30°F

Fri
30°F | 18°F

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Unfortunately, this is not my choice to be made. (They aren't technically mine, their my mother's... I take care of them)

Still don't understand this. What is the thinking here? They don't allow cats in Calgary? No room in the new home? Can't take them on a plane? WTF????

D

DeletedUser394

Still don't understand this. What is the thinking here? They don't allow cats in Calgary? No room in the new home? Can't take them on a plane? WTF????

My mother is a bitch (that seriously sums it up). What else do you want me to say? They are not mine, I have no say or control over the situation.

Edit: Her reasonings are that they are old, the shelters are overcrowded, most of them would be too nervous to take the trip, etc, etc. Now, how does that change anything? I hate her for it, but she pays the bills at the moment, so I just have to swallow it, turn it into motivation, and give back in as many ways as I can.

Why are you (the three or so posts not just yours) turning my valid original questions into a debate on ethics.

If you want to go that route, what about the 100's of animals that most of you indirectly kill through consumption each year? YOU have the power to change THAT situation...and yet you don't.

So please do not try and lecture me on ethics.. I'm not interested.

Thank you to the people who took the time to answer with insightful responses.

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
Ryan,
You are young and making the transition will be easier than you think. Use the adventure to sharpen your "bullshit" skills ie. "bluffing". When you get there you can be anybody you want to be and only a small handful of people really know you. This can be a great advantage! If Poker is really in your plans you better be able to bluff. What better way to hone a skill.

When me and 2 Army buddies moved to Myrtle Beach we knew nobody. I was about 21 or 22 at the time. We used to walk the beach talking to all the girls. Our famous line was to take a camera to the beach and just snap pictures of girls. We never bothered to load it with film. When they would ask why we were taking pics of them we would tell them "We are from People Magazine. Not the People you know but the other People." This opened many a door. All a Bluff.

The art of Bullshit can be learned in many different ways but the art of it in business ventures is a necessity. Take the opportunity and run with it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.