The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How would you build a city on top/under the water?

Idea threads

joel.nilsson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Feb 4, 2022
Sweden
Building houses on top/under the water would solve the housing problem, and if I won't be the one to build this company, then someone else will. In the next 30 years, it will probably be done.

But where do you start if you have nothing but the idea, not even knowledge?

I'm thinking MAYBE, I should start with studying engineering, then try to build a houseboat?

Is that a wrong approach, how would you go about it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Building houses on top/under the water would solve the housing problem, and if I won't be the one to build this company, then someone else will. In the next 30 years, it will probably be done.

But where do you start if you have nothing but the idea, not even knowledge?

I'm thinking MAYBE, I should start with studying engineering, then try to build a houseboat?

Is that a wrong approach, how would you go about it?
Its called sea steading and land reclamation. Many countries like Monaco are expanding in size.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Building on top of water would be far, far more economical than underwater, because underwater you have to deal with pressure.

Yes, if you can get ownership of something like a houseboat, that would be a great start to your entrepreneurial journey. You could rent a boat slip at a marina and rent the boat out on AirBNB.

If you want to build these things, you don't need to study engineering, you just need to start figuring it out.

But I'd recommend starting in a way where you making money on DAY ONE rather than going into the garage like a mad scientist all alone, researching...

Meaning... get a customer! Help someone with a problem. Or even ... oh no... get a job! Building things, designing things, managing projects, etc. CAD work, project management, etc.

Then take those skills and apply them outside to your own business and your own customers.

EDIT: oh yeah I totally ignored the premise of the "problem." I'm just giving you ideas and opportunities for businesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
the housing problem

What housing problem? Are we just to assume there’s a problem because people say it?

What exactly is the housing problem and why will seasteading solve it?

It it expense? Because markets set prices and building a home on water or under water will be more expensive than land.

Is it crowding? Because there’s a LOT of unoccupied land in the world and a fast moving decentralization trend.

I’m not saying seasteading isn’t cool. Because it certainly is. I just think it solves a different problem than a generic “housing problem” that means whatever everyone thinks it means.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
How did you come up with this as a problem?

Sweden is 2x the size of the UK and has a population that could fit within the M25 motorway going around London.

You have 97% empty land.

Dan

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
What housing problem? Are we just to assume there’s a problem because people say it?

What exactly is the housing problem and why will seasteading solve it?

It it expense? Because markets set prices and building a home on water or under water will be more expensive than land.

Is it crowding? Because there’s a LOT of unoccupied land in the world and a fast moving decentralization trend.

I’m not saying seasteading isn’t cool. Because it certainly is. I just think it solves a different problem than a generic “housing problem” that means whatever everyone thinks it means.
This is a good point but a couple of things to add. The housing problem also has to do with building codes being really hard to build in a lot of locations. For example if you want to buy a cheap piece of land, and build a tiny home it can be really hard to get the right permits in many places. Boats aren't subject to the same building codes as normal homes, so it could be easier to set up.
My second point would be there likely isn't one solution to the housing problem. Part of it is building up, some of it is rezoning exsisting land, but there is also room for things like people who live on boats, tiny homes, or RV life people.

joel.nilsson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Feb 4, 2022
Sweden
How did you come up with this as a problem?

Sweden is 2x the size of the UK and has a population that could fit within the M25 motorway going around London.

You have 97% empty land.

Dan
No disrespect, but I really don't understand how you reason.

I am not talking about Sweden. I am talking of everywhere that there is a city by the coast and where the prices are too high.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That is very naive to say, how do you know how much it will cost to build a home on the water?

The simple answer if it was more efficient, at least with our current technology, humanity would be using it already. It’s economic certainty.

The slightly more complex answer. There’s enormous engineering considerations to building something on water that aren’t there with solid ground.

Bridges are more expensive than roads. But I’m naive.

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
housing problem?

homie just build a house anywhere we have a F*ck ton of land you just never leave your apartment

1661538075134.png

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

TheJon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 7, 2022
Philadelphia PA - USA
No disrespect, but I really don't understand how you reason.

I am not talking about Sweden. I am talking of everywhere that there is a city by the coast and where the prices are too high.
Interesting problem to work on!

One thing to consider: In many coastal cities the water itself is part of the appeal, you'd have to figure out how to get around the entities that control the coast line (in the US the the US government for example)

There are countries that are expanding land mass in various ways, like in UAE Palm Islands. Also another example of water expansion is the "Little Island" park in NYC. Sea Steading is an interesting idea but it looks like mostly conceptional at the moment.

I think you could speak to a real estate developer or two in one of the cities your interested in doing this in and see what they think about that. Studying the engineering of these specific ideas would probably be helpful in the conversation although I don't know if you need to go to school for it or anything. You could also go down to a local pier and talk to the boat people, in the US there are people who live in boats all over that can be found docked at the piers and docks. - I imagine you could learn from them what infrastructure they are missing and what would make their life more comfortable and accessible to regular people. You might be able to start a smaller scale business solving their problems and creating more accessibility

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.