The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to work hard

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Good article from Seth Godin's blog about what it takes today to work hard and how it is different from a few decades ago.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2007/09/labor-day.html

I once heard a semi-joke that one must try really hard to climb up the ladder to the position of power, because the higher you go, the smaller amount of work you have to do is. Ideally I would love to have a position where I need to make a few big decisions a week and have people under me that will work out the small things. Where can a person find something like that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
Ideally I would love to have a position where I need to make a few big decisions a week and have people under me that will work out the small things. Where can a person find something like that?

You don't find it, you create it.

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
I would love to have a position where I need to make a few big decisions a week and have people under me that will work out the small things.

Actually a lot of people avoid such positions.

They are afraid of making the wrong decisions and prefer to be lead and told what to do, if you lack self confidence it's actually a much more comfortable place.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Ideally I would love to have a position where I need to make a few big decisions a week and have people under me that will work out the small things. Where can a person find something like that?

Rawr,

To get to this point, you need to acquire the knowledge to hire the people "under you" to do all the rest of the stuff.

One way to get that knowledge is to DO what they do, first.

Then you can hire the right people for the job.

-Russ H.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hi,

I read the article, thought it was great. I think I saw the article differently than you. It confirmed for *me* that I'm on the right path. The fact that I don't want to be *owned* by any company even if it means my job would be an easy one is spot on.

Not that long ago I was very much in the "where do I find it? " line of thought. I wanted to be a rat on a wheel in a job that didn't tax me, I thought foolishly that would give me freedom and make my life easier. I wanted a "position". You can get positions like you want. A good grad degree or doctorate, some management skills, and these days you can even do them from home in your pj's. They are are not hard to find. The problem I see is that you are still owned, still at the beck and call of someone. Unless you own the food chain, you eat below someone who tells -you- what to do. Your security and ultimately your time is determined by another person. I would offer that you should give thought to what it is you'd really like. Perhaps it isn't something you "find" or is given to you but something you need to exert some effort(read that as word hard) to "Create" as someone else said. Much like the article was trying to get across.

Nobody but you can know what is the right path for you. I know my own path has changed several times in the past few years. I changed careers, earned different degrees, changed jobs within my new career, and changed hours. In the end, I still answered to someone who owned my time.

It would seem to me that taking your thought from the slow lane to the fast lane requires that instead of trying to climb someones elses ladder to a "position" in which you are still at their beck and call, you make your own ladder and climb as high as you want. You do it on your own terms.

Sue

Good article from Seth Godin's blog about what it takes today to work hard and how it is different from a few decades ago.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2007/09/labor-day.html

I once heard a semi-joke that one must try really hard to climb up the ladder to the position of power, because the higher you go, the smaller amount of work you have to do is. Ideally I would love to have a position where I need to make a few big decisions a week and have people under me that will work out the small things. Where can a person find something like that?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Easy ... you work hard for it.

Now isn't that the oxymoron of the day?

You work hard now so later, you don't have too.

bflash98

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007

I'm not sure where jobs like that are found. In my last company all of the upper management people worked really hard always on a call or traveling. When I saw that I knew that was not the way I wanted to go.

Now at my new company my boss is the part owner of the company he makes the big decisions but he goes home early and has season tickets to the local baseball team. Other wards he is able to take time off when he wants. Now that is a place I would not mind being.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
MJ, once again, you nailed it on the head.

Rep Speed + + +

-Russ H.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
At least you are somewhat on the right track with your thinking. If your goal is to own the corporate ladder and not climb it- you are on the right track- but very few, if any, people are able to just own the ladder. ...No one starts off at the finish line. So with that said, what do you do for a living, where do you envision yourself and how do you plan to jump the gap between them?

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Depends on what you envision.
Bill Gates envisioned owning the world of personal computing. He does.
I personally have a hard time with dreaming big enough.
I envision having a business that provides me & my DH with a life of abundance that is fair & equitable to our employees and makes our clients happy.
Some days are better than others but for the most part I think we have achieved our goals. Now should I expand my goals or just keep things going as they are? That is my current question.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Would you regret not expanding your goals? If yes, then move forward. If no, then keeping pluggin' away doing what you're doing.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I wanted to be a rat on a wheel in a job that didn't tax me, I thought foolishly that would give me freedom and make my life easier.

I think this is almost impossible with some personality types.
Before leaving full time corporate,
I tried scaling back from my 24-7 project jobs
to a 9-5 project job
(so I could write after hours).
I couldn't do it.
I couldn't go home at 5 pm knowing that
there were improvements yet to be made,
products left to investigate.
I couldn't do "good enough."

I've since switched to summers "off"
which allows me time to write
but the fun of being swept into projects the rest of the year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.