The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to $ucceed with No Money!!

DevX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 9, 2008
Servicefly,

Can you name 4-5 SEO companies that would be worth their fee and then some? You mentioned in your "Web Marketing" pdf there are only a few worth working with.

There are a lot of talkers out there, I want to know who can deliver the goods.

-Dev

P.S. What should I expect from a $2,000+ campaign? Will they be updating the info websites with content? Just backlinks? Details por favor

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
SEO companies (usually 1-2 man operations) do not provide quality Web Marketing. They optimize your website for search engine rankings, then submit them to the search engines and overcharge for this. If you want my recommendation, don't seek SEO!

Develop a Web Marketing plan and divide the necessary tasks to be delegated to hired help. You will need to research professionals based on their strategies rather than their past success. Each scenario is different for each business. You will probably instinctively know when a Web Marketing professionals' strategies are aligned with your business.

The information websites are easy to build. Hire a $10 per hour employee, student is good, then have them draft articles for your info websites based on their own internet research. Assign them the topic. Your $2,000 budget suggests you should implement as much yourself as possible, or barter with a Web Marketing pro.

Just be careful, many SEO experts are scammers, not marketers. FInally, if I haven't talked you out of SEO, then go to the webworkshop forum. Most top end quality SEO experts hang out in this forum. Some are still very good conmen.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
I have done this:

1) Find someone who needs a 30 day interim loan.
2) Find a factoring company.
3) Have the borrower sign an IOU and do a credit check.
4) Create an invoice for 30 days for the amount owed (see IOU).
5) Sell the IOU to the factoring company for 4-5% less.
6) Keep the difference.

Fastlane, no money input. Just time, energy and wits.

dbaker89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 18, 2008
Reno, NV
I have done this:

1) Find someone who needs a 30 day interim loan.
2) Find a factoring company.
3) Have the borrower sign an IOU and do a credit check.
4) Create an invoice for 30 days for the amount owed (see IOU).
5) Sell the IOU to the factoring company for 4-5% less.
6) Keep the difference.

Fastlane, no money input. Just time, energy and wits.

hmm. I am quite interested in this. What is the recourse should the person you found default on the factoring company? Is that risk implied to the factoring company once they agree to buy it?

These lead sites are really starting to interest me. I feel like my ecommerce site, even though it has only been launched for a little over a month (1 month 6 days) is going to be slower lane than I expected. www.FerrariClothesOnline.com

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
hmm. I am quite interested in this. What is the recourse should the person you found default on the factoring company? Is that risk implied to the factoring company once they agree to buy it?

These lead sites are really starting to interest me. I feel like my ecommerce site, even though it has only been launched for a little over a month (1 month 6 days) is going to be slower lane than I expected. www.FerrariClothesOnline.com

Some take the credit plunge, other's don't. Up to you to find out and have it written in the agreement.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ

well done site and it's only a month old?

btw those prices are better than the Ferrari Museum in Maranello, lol, I paid 32 Euro(~$45 at the time) for a t-shirt, granted it's nice material, that's about 3x what I usually pay for ANY type of shirt, but $40 for Ferrari polos is a great deal!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

fastlane involves a lot of focus, your one site might not net you a bunch of money but many will of you need at it. You have a proven product and good prices. I would worfk on #1 getting off yahoo stores, and #2 researching top e-com sites and mimmicking them in your layout. You wont make money at anything if you dont stick to it and focus! know what i mean?

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Instead of focusing too much on search engines etc, focus on opening up offices worldwide through exclusive licensees. You can grow your revenue stream a lot that way. Try it. Contact a business broker and have him/her find the licensees.

Demand a minimi guarantee each quarter from the licensee and then a 3-5% royalty on gross income above that. That way you will more surely make money. Predictably.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Re: How to succeed with no money!

One of the greatest success stories for your market is BodyBuilding.com

There was a write up about him in Inc magazine a couple years ago.I'll see if I can dig up the issue.

The Bodybuilder, Leading Your Company Article - Inc. Article

Search Inc.com

Here you go........ 300% growth rate and $46 million in revenue.
My advise learn everything you can about this company and try to improve upon the flaws or over site.

Here it is, i know it's kind of late now.

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...s-discuss-forums-means-loyalty.html#post54601

michaelscheuren

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Apr 5, 2008
Escanaba, Michigan
I hope I am not way off base here. If I am,let me know and I will delete this if necessary.

what about starting a business in another state? Where I live, there are some products that are very popular here but are not well known(if at all) in other parts of the country. How would you go about starting a brick and mortar business that sold those products(I would also be manufacturing 99% of those products myself) in another state half way across the country? The business would need about 4 employees to run it.

I am also interested in lead gen websites but know next to nothing about them. How to set one up, where to get your leads, marketing the site, etc.

Thanks.
Michael.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
I hope I am not way off base here. If I am,let me know and I will delete this if necessary.

what about starting a business in another state? Where I live, there are some products that are very popular here but are not well known(if at all) in other parts of the country. How would you go about starting a brick and mortar business that sold those products(I would also be manufacturing 99% of those products myself) in another state half way across the country? The business would need about 4 employees to run it.

I am also interested in lead gen websites but know next to nothing about them. How to set one up, where to get your leads, marketing the site, etc.

Thanks.
Michael.

-Call a business broker.
-Business broker sells an exclusive license for that particular state.
-Minimi guranteed payments quarterly + 3-5% royalty on gross revenues.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Import/export businesses even in the same country are historically profitable. Do you have the cashflow to support the 4 employees now? If not you should ramp up, or find a way to guarantee the necessary cashflow for the 4 employees.

Since your state has such products all over, then some organization had to have conducted a successful marketing campaign. Seek out the organization and get the details of the marketing. Armed with this information you should be able to put projections together for the growth phase of your company. If this is a startup then you need to use the marketing info you gather to create a buzz in the new state before you begin to spend money or create overhead.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Import/export businesses even in the same country are historically profitable. Do you have the cashflow to support the 4 employees now? If not you should ramp up, or find a way to guarantee the necessary cashflow for the 4 employees.

Since your state has such products all over, then some organization had to have conducted a successful marketing campaign. Seek out the organization and get the details of the marketing. Armed with this information you should be able to put projections together for the growth phase of your company. If this is a startup then you need to use the marketing info you gather to create a buzz in the new state before you begin to spend money or create overhead.

Why have overhead in the first place?

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
That was my point. Don't create overhead unless you need it. michaelscheuren was saying that he needed 4 employees to build the product. I was trying to make sure he doesn't hire on employees resulting in unnecessary overhead before getting willing buyers in the other state. If he already has a company profiting, then selling product in another state would be considered the growth phase (or stage), not startup. Either way no one should ever create overhead (or rationalize it) without cashflow to support it, or commitments to support the cashflow.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Time for me to contribute a little (at least what I have been working on).

Inspired from the 4 Hour Work week, Fanocks, Servicefly and others I decided on a e-biz. Not quite the correct term. Timothy Ferris in the 4HWW calls it a "muse." A business that makes money for you whether you are banging your head on a keyboard or sleeping on the beach in the caribbean.

sure wish I would have seen this thread before I started! But these are the steps I took. Fanocks and Servicefly have been a big help to me. LISTEN TO THEM. Learn from my mistakes a long the way.

The biggest thing I did that most people don't do is TAKE ACTION. I didn't care if it was right or wrong I just did something. It's gotten me to the right place so far. And if not I can re-adjust and move on. I have probably spent more money then I needed to I will list my costs now:

• Web Domain Registration $9

• Hosting for website $7.95/month

• Website design software from the local Target $36 (There are several FREE website designing softwares I found - plus hostgator.com has a free one as well. Or wordpressdirect.com. I have heard of people paying the hundreds for Xcitepro or Dreamweaver. I haven't found a need for those yet. I'm not a professional web designer.. and I'm cheap... ha ha)
  • Purchased membership at dropshipsource.com $299 (probably not necessary for most products. I'm sure these guys can shed some light on better ways to find those places. )
  • Incorporated a new S-Corp $170 (Let me rant a little. My partner convinced me we needed to pay our lawyer to draft up these documents because he screwed up his filing is his own business and had to pay a fine. So we paid $1,100 for incorporating on my martial arts school because "we wanted it done right the first time" ... lesson learned. They filed it the same way you can on the Secretary of State website. All I got was a crappy $5 binder with a bunch of seperators in it as a "corporate book". Needless to say filing on the SOS website was extremely easy. Idiot proof really. And cost me $160 plus $10 for express filing. Ridiculous.)
Total Cost so Far: $521.95

AGAIN, I know all of these but the hosting and the incorporation can be done for free. So don't say "I don't have $500.00" plus I spread that out a bit. I like to pay bills and go out to the clubs to pick up ladies... that always costs money. I rather spend my extra dough there. Ha ha

Step 1. What "niches" are you a part of? (Looking for customer groups)

What groups am I a part of? Fairly simple I guess... A Martial Artist.. A Personal Trainer.. Nutritionist... Peak Performance Coach... Businessman.

A lot of my groups have to deal with health. I understand the market. I pay for supplements that REALLY work. I know the difference. So I chose this as my area. Plus I think it would be call to myself a drug dealer when people ask what I do. haha. I looked at the products I currently use and asked how I could improve on them or improve on what those companies do.

Step 2. Pick a product

Did it.

Step 3. Look for manufacturers

This wasn't as easy for my particular product. The reason is that it's not well known. The market is fairly new.. well kind of... So I took Mr. Ferris's advice in the 4HWW and spent $300.00 on Drop Ship, Light Bulk, Liquidation and Import Wholesalers from Worldwide Brands! - Home Page. They have an awesome program. Not sure it's worth $300.00 but it certainly worked for me. It'll be worth it if this product is profitable.

Here's their set up: You pay them for a membership and they give you an online search engine for all dropshipping manufacturers for just about ANY product. The manufcaturers I was looking for - for my particular product were invisible. Number 1 manufcaturers apparently don't want to be found by "the little guys". and number 2 I'm sure some of these companies make it harder to find their manufcaturers because of "private labeling."

Step 4. "Create a product"

Where I'm at right now. "Private labeling" for those of you that don't know is basically a manufcaturer that will put your logo on their product because they don't give a fiddlestick about branding their name. They just want sales. So slap a new label on the same bottle.. Voila.. New product! The new product can end up costing more.

Remember Rich Dad, Poor Dad where RK talked about Jean manufacturers? The K-Mart jeans were made in the same place as the high end boutique jeans. The only difference was the name on them.

Good example is a device that was used for leg and hip rehabilitation... slap a new label on it... Voila! the Thighmaster! ... Not bad.

Step 5. Test the product

Started building a website. Working on a persuasive advertising web page. Testing the product is next for me. Seeing how much money I can get for the "new" product, etc.

I will keep everyone posted!

Thanks again to the helpful hands.

I hope this helps some of the newer people.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
I preach much about the "get your customers 1st" mindset, but I realize I haven't said enough about the "Drool" factor. Getting your customers first means getting many people in your market (if not all) to drool over a future product or service. You are almost there Steve! Get your market drooling through guerrilla marketing techniques, then launch your online biz and reap the benefits my friend! I like to see when other future (successful) Entrepreneurs get it. Good luck, Oh yeah, luck is created!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Time for me to contribute a little (at least what I have been working on).

Inspired from the 4 Hour Work week, Fanocks, Servicefly and others I decided on a e-biz. Not quite the correct term. Timothy Ferris in the 4HWW calls it a "muse." A business that makes money for you whether you are banging your head on a keyboard or sleeping on the beach in the caribbean.

sure wish I would have seen this thread before I started! But these are the steps I took. Fanocks and Servicefly have been a big help to me. LISTEN TO THEM. Learn from my mistakes a long the way.

The biggest thing I did that most people don't do is TAKE ACTION. I didn't care if it was right or wrong I just did something. It's gotten me to the right place so far. And if not I can re-adjust and move on. I have probably spent more money then I needed to I will list my costs now:

• Web Domain Registration $9
  • Hosting for website $7.95/month
  • Website design software from the local Target $36 (There are several FREE website designing softwares I found - plus hostgator.com has a free one as well. Or wordpressdirect.com. I have heard of people paying the hundreds for Xcitepro or Dreamweaver. I haven't found a need for those yet. I'm not a professional web designer.. and I'm cheap... ha ha)
  • Purchased membership at dropshipsource.com $299 (probably not necessary for most products. I'm sure these guys can shed some light on better ways to find those places. )
  • Incorporated a new S-Corp $170 (Let me rant a little. My partner convinced me we needed to pay our lawyer to draft up these documents because he screwed up his filing is his own business and had to pay a fine. So we paid $1,100 for incorporating on my martial arts school because "we wanted it done right the first time" ... lesson learned. They filed it the same way you can on the Secretary of State website. All I got was a crappy $5 binder with a bunch of seperators in it as a "corporate book". Needless to say filing on the SOS website was extremely easy. Idiot proof really. And cost me $160 plus $10 for express filing. Ridiculous.)
Total Cost so Far: $521.95

AGAIN, I know all of these but the hosting and the incorporation can be done for free. So don't say "I don't have $500.00" plus I spread that out a bit. I like to pay bills and go out to the clubs to pick up ladies... that always costs money. I rather spend my extra dough there. Ha ha

Step 1. What "niches" are you a part of? (Looking for customer groups)

What groups am I a part of? Fairly simple I guess... A Martial Artist.. A Personal Trainer.. Nutritionist... Peak Performance Coach... Businessman.

A lot of my groups have to deal with health. I understand the market. I pay for supplements that REALLY work. I know the difference. So I chose this as my area. Plus I think it would be call to myself a drug dealer when people ask what I do. haha. I looked at the products I currently use and asked how I could improve on them or improve on what those companies do.

Step 2. Pick a product

Did it.

Step 3. Look for manufacturers

This wasn't as easy for my particular product. The reason is that it's not well known. The market is fairly new.. well kind of... So I took Mr. Ferris's advice in the 4HWW and spent $300.00 on Drop Ship, Light Bulk, Liquidation and Import Wholesalers from Worldwide Brands! - Home Page. They have an awesome program. Not sure it's worth $300.00 but it certainly worked for me. It'll be worth it if this product is profitable.

Here's their set up: You pay them for a membership and they give you an online search engine for all dropshipping manufacturers for just about ANY product. The manufcaturers I was looking for - for my particular product were invisible. Number 1 manufcaturers apparently don't want to be found by "the little guys". and number 2 I'm sure some of these companies make it harder to find their manufcaturers because of "private labeling."

Step 4. "Create a product"

Where I'm at right now. "Private labeling" for those of you that don't know is basically a manufcaturer that will put your logo on their product because they don't give a fiddlestick about branding their name. They just want sales. So slap a new label on the same bottle.. Voila.. New product! The new product can end up costing more.

Remember Rich Dad, Poor Dad where RK talked about Jean manufacturers? The K-Mart jeans were made in the same place as the high end boutique jeans. The only difference was the name on them.

Good example is a device that was used for leg and hip rehabilitation... slap a new label on it... Voila! the Thighmaster! ... Not bad.

Step 5. Test the product

Started building a website. Working on a persuasive advertising web page. Testing the product is next for me. Seeing how much money I can get for the "new" product, etc.

I will keep everyone posted!

Thanks again to the helpful hands.

I hope this helps some of the newer people.

Steve, BIG REP + for you for taking action. you defined it in a sentence up there about just doing it... you'll learn along the way. Otherwise your just speculating.

You mentioned two differnet sites, did you go with worldwidebrands? Also what method of delivery are you doing e-commerce or product info pages?

again, great job taking action. i hope your post will insprie others on this board who are unsure to just take a step.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
:iagree:

along the lines of incorporating, an example is the "Do you owe $15k+ in back taxes attorneys?", my dad is a CPA/EA and as such is licensed to represent clients in tax court. His services cost much less than the $3900 MINIMUM that these "we fight the IRS for you!" lawyers charge, but the difference is that they make the product more attractive through advertising and "credentials" so they're making millions while my dad is doing much less.

while this taps into one of the steps, it is also similar to the Jeans example- while Kmart is selling theirs for $19.95 the "designer" brand is selling for 5-10x as much for the same cost(and similar product), so why sell yourself short?

I like how Tim F talks about aiming for a higher market and finding an exclusive distributor(like the guy who started the Creatine fad and made GNC his exclusive seller), that way you deal with less competition and can have a higher quality client base.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I like how Tim F talks about aiming for a higher market and finding an exclusive distributor(like the guy who started the Creatine fad and made GNC his exclusive seller), that way you deal with less competition and can have a higher quality client base.

Good point. But how would a fastlaner find a supplier in a higher market? It seems like using World Wide Brands would be counterproductive since it has a large flow of people which increases competition. Would finding a high quality product and then contacting each distributor individually be a strategy? Would a supplier be interested in supplying for a new site without paying an initial fee?

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
interesting Q, but what it sounds like is that it's the same product just different packaging or in the case with the jeans "different labels". One of the fastlane avenues I'd like to explore is drop-shipping as it'll be an initial source for passive revenue which will pave the way for larger revenue streams. In practice though, 4HWW shows that most products are made in the same areas in Indo-China hence the "Made In China" on almost EVERYTHING and it is just a difference in branding which is what you bring to the table.

the competition factor was more targeted towards the retailers of your merchandise, not the actual production, an example was given of a golf shirt company that decided to sell to multiple golf stores only to find out that they were competing with each other on the price which cut into her margins and ultimately put her out of business.

as for setting the price high, it seems that "quality" is in the eye of the beholder more-so than a measureable and if you can set the price high and get a market that views your product as "quality" then it'll repel competition that tries to undercut your prices.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
interesting Q, but what it sounds like is that it's the same product just different packaging or in the case with the jeans "different labels". One of the fastlane avenues I'd like to explore is drop-shipping as it'll be an initial source for passive revenue which will pave the way for larger revenue streams. In practice though, 4HWW shows that most products are made in the same areas in Indo-China hence the "Made In China" on almost EVERYTHING and it is just a difference in branding which is what you bring to the table.

the competition factor was more targeted towards the retailers of your merchandise, not the actual production, an example was given of a golf shirt company that decided to sell to multiple golf stores only to find out that they were competing with each other on the price which cut into her margins and ultimately put her out of business.

as for setting the price high, it seems that "quality" is in the eye of the beholder more-so than a measureable and if you can set the price high and get a market that views your product as "quality" then it'll repel competition that tries to undercut your prices.

FYI, because i see this a lot. Dropshipping may seem easy but with a lot of vendors now setting MAPs you have to do volume to make good money. E-commerce is definitley not just passive income although people seem to think that. In fact e-commerce in a whole, if you want to be sucessful, is a lot of work in research and tuning. So be prepared to do a lot of work if you want to be doing more than 1k profit every month.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I preach much about the "get your customers 1st" mindset, but I realize I haven't said enough about the "Drool" factor. Getting your customers first means getting many people in your market (if not all) to drool over a future product or service. You are almost there Steve! Get your market drooling through guerrilla marketing techniques, then launch your online biz and reap the benefits my friend! I like to see when other future (successful) Entrepreneurs get it. Good luck, Oh yeah, luck is created!

Thanks! Working on Drool factor next!

Steve, BIG REP + for you for taking action. you defined it in a sentence up there about just doing it... you'll learn along the way. Otherwise your just speculating.

You mentioned two differnet sites, did you go with worldwidebrands? Also what method of delivery are you doing e-commerce or product info pages?

again, great job taking action. i hope your post will insprie others on this board who are unsure to just take a step.

Thanks!

I did go with world wide brands. I paid their membership. As far as I know it's just a service to help you find the manufacturers that will dropship products. Bear with me because I don't know what the difference between "e-commerce" and "product info pages" but all I am doing at the beginning here is selling a product through my new web page that will be up shortly. This is done completely through drop shipping. A customer orders the product from my page, pays me, the order goes to the manufacturer, the manufacturer makes the product and puts my label on it and then mails it straight to them. They also cover up the "shipping from" and put my name on there too. So the product seemingly comes from me and no one is the wiser.

Good point. But how would a fastlaner find a supplier in a higher market? It seems like using World Wide Brands would be counterproductive since it has a large flow of people which increases competition. Would finding a high quality product and then contacting each distributor individually be a strategy? Would a supplier be interested in supplying for a new site without paying an initial fee?

Again as far as I know World Wide Brands is just a service to connect you to manufcaturers. Maybe I am mistaken on what I purchased but the software they provide is great. It goes online and searches everything for that product. Manufcaturers that will drop ship, your biggest competitors, what the product is selling for on ebay, and other competing websites, how much of it is sold, and an overall percentage of how well you would do selling that product. It's an awesome tool. But if this product that I have goes well the $300 was well spent to find this manufacturer. Especially since there is absolutely NO risk involved for me!

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Hey Steve, thanks for your reply. I have a couple other questions.

I've been thinking about doing something similar to this for a while but with music (like a guitar/drum dropship retailer for example.)

1.) Did you find a product/industry before you paid the $300 for the WWB subscription? Or did you research through their information and then made your own conclusions?

2.) Do you recommend the software that you bought as a good way to build a site? I tried using a free service called NVU but I didn't like it all that much. I'm a complete newbie to web design so if you recommend this program I'll have to make a visit to my local Target ;)

3.) Is it possible to choose multiple different dropshippers from WWB and listing a large mixed selection on the site? Would this be too confusing?

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Its hard not having money, but it just means you have to work harder and smarter.

I'm literaly a broke full time college student with a part time job. I pay for my car, phone, food, and cloths thats about all I can really afford.

But I just bought another building lot that I cannot afford last Friday. Luckly my partner's can afford it.

So now I have large interest in two building lots and a SFH. I should walk away with about $60k-$80k from those two lots early next year. These two deals will continue to snowball into other deals. All in all that's a poor profit, I should be making far more. But considering that I have $0 invested its not a bad return.

I had a RK moment on Friday night as I drove past the building lot that I had just inked a contract on a few hours before with my friends. They were like wow thats nice how can you afford that? I said I cannot afford it, but my business can.

Education, than action are key. Learn and do, if you don't do anything than your just a bunch of talk and that doesn't help anyone. I also subscribe to the saying in my sig. I saw the market moving and felt that if I missed this chance to get in on the ground floor I would be regreting it for the next 20 years.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
What about press releases?

I do all of the press release writing myself. Pros sometimes don't get what you are looking for. 1st, I read as many articles similar to my new business product or services. Then I find a few articles and research their popularity (link backs, etc.). I then draft an article of my own adding in the uniqueness of my services. Sprinkle a little "Back Story" and voila, eventually I have a really nice written article on the 18 draft! I use a press release service (the one that reached the most Web sources and magazine sources I can find). eReleases.com has been pretty reliable to date. Don't go with a cheap service, you will have an article sent to 50,000 useless Web sources. That's it.

I usually get a huge spike in traffic to whatever website i am promoting within 10 days. If you get good at this, you will learn to tie the articles in with info sites to convert readers to buyer rapidly.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Hey Steve, thanks for your reply. I have a couple other questions.

I've been thinking about doing something similar to this for a while but with music (like a guitar/drum dropship retailer for example.)

1.) Did you find a product/industry before you paid the $300 for the WWB subscription? Or did you research through their information and then made your own conclusions?

I did. Again - I looked at my interests and what "groups of consumers *I* was a part of. I saw martial arts (I'm a martial artist), Personal trainer (I have been a personal trainer), Nutrition (I have been a nutritionist), and I take supplements. I looked at the supplements I take. One of them in particular isn't widely known about or distributed. Sounds like opportunity to me. I looked at my competition in the market and said "I could do that... and you know what they would do better if they did this, and this..."

I searched all over for someone who would drop ship the product I was looking for. Again, not being very popular or known about yet it was hard to find someone that makes it let alone make it and dropship it. That is why I bought the WWB membership. They direct you to manufacturers that do these things. Many manufacturers don't want to be found be the little guys, they want to be found by the wal-marts that are going to order 10,000 instead of 100.

2.) Do you recommend the software that you bought as a good way to build a site? I tried using a free service called NVU but I didn't like it all that much. I'm a complete newbie to web design so if you recommend this program I'll have to make a visit to my local Target ;)

I don't know... it's kinda cool but the biggest thing that is kind of pissing me off with it right now is you can't view all the pages at once. The only way to see a different page is to go up to the toolbar and clack View > Page > Next Page. Stuff like that really pisses me off. Ha ha. Otherwise it's pretty nice. I mean for $30 something it's worth it and it'll get the job done easily.

3.) Is it possible to choose multiple different dropshippers from WWB and listing a large mixed selection on the site? Would this be too confusing?
[/quote]

I don't see why not. Remember I live in a world where ANYTHING is possible. Who's gonna stop you? I'm pretty good fighter so not many people are going to be able to stop me from doing what I wanna do ha ha

I probably wouldn't recommend offering too many products UNLESS your competition only offers 1 product that isn't very good. If that is your "competitive edge" than yeah maybe it makes sense to have multiple products.

I personally don't think it's the best way to go. Whenever I look at a web page that has a bazillion products I look somewhere else.

Again, make sure you ask ServiceFly and Fanocks because those guys are the real experts, I'm just getting started in this business. :wave:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

remember that all different vendors have different shipping methods and rates. this makes it very confusing to handle many different vendors with one store.

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
a press release seems like a great way to boost says if done correctly. $399 just seems like a tough pill to swallow due to other development costs.

i apologize if i missed this on previous pages. you mention having info sites which link to your main site. this is definitely a great idea and similar to what i had in mind for my pool of domain names. the issue i see is the maintenance and upkeep. at paying a student $10 an hour, doesn't this increase costs rather quickly?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.