The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to test an idea?

Idea threads

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
How would you go about testing an idea to see if its viable? As an example, let's say my target market is musicians and I want to sell them ad space in a new magazine for music lovers and local musicians. In general, they're a rough, no b.s. bunch who have "seen it all" so to speak. So, what would you do to get before them, to see if there's an interest, and, to get your first customer?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SanMateo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 9, 2013
Colorado
How would you go about testing an idea to see if its viable?

So, what would you do to get before them, to see if there's an interest, and, to get your first customer?
Most ideas are viable but it's the execution that most people fail in. Get an idea, plan it out (R&D), and start doing. Sell the benefit and you can sell anything.

I just wrote Approach to Sales and I think it might help with the latter questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
Hi SanMateo, actually initially I was going to post this on your thread, but wasn't sure if it was exactly on topic.

Up to this point I've done a lot of planning and have some serious effort towards connecting the dots and I've even gone so far as to send questionnaires to identify needs, but nobody wants to reply. Which is sad I think because I'm almost positive what I'm working on can be a big hit, and I believe the benefits would be tremendous. Its just getting through to get answers that seems to be a issue I'm encountering. Maybe its my people skills? Not sure

SanMateo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 9, 2013
Colorado
Hi SanMateo, actually initially I was going to post this on your thread, but wasn't sure if it was exactly on topic.

Up to this point I've done a lot of planning and have some serious effort towards connecting the dots and I've even gone so far as to send questionnaires to identify needs, but nobody wants to reply. Which is sad I think because I'm almost positive what I'm working on can be a big hit, and I believe the benefits would be tremendous. Its just getting through to get answers that seems to be a issue I'm encountering. Maybe its my people skills? Not sure
Ok, if you want people to respond there has to be an immediate call to action which would be a potential benefit to them. Would you write, email or call someone back that you "perceive" isn't adding value to you? Probably not. If phone and email isn't working out, then start hitting the pavement. People have a harder time avoiding you if you are in front of them.

Fun Fact: It takes an average of 7 contacts with a potential client in order for them to decide on your product/service.

Now the question is, do you have the consistency and drive to keep contacting them over & over again. There's an old saying that says, "the squeakiest wheel gets greased first." Make enough noise, and they'll answer. Present value and you will get the right answers.

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
I'm with you - Basically what I've done so far is I've built a very large collection of facebook friends who I believe are my target market. I then set up a group page that explains in detail what I am doing, and how my service would benefit them. I got a whopping two likes, and someone posted something on my group page marketing their stuff. lol But that's it. So I still don't really know how to find out if what I'm doing is in the ballpark of what is needed. I do have a schedule where I do make myself known everyday, but, maybe I need to be more direct now and perhaps send out some mass private messages conveying my service? The problem I'm having with this is I don't want to abuse the use of private messages? But maybe this wouldn't be an abuse.

I'm asking this now because I am at the point finally after almost three months of planning and setting up things like distribution and manufacturing, and other odds and ends, and its now time to hire a designer. But, I want to take this a step at a time and not design the entire concept just yet, whereas, I want to just begin with a system to see if the main idea holds water.

So, are you suggesting that I just keep hammering it home, perhaps through the use of private messages?

What's new territory for me with this is, in the past, with a different market, I would place ads in a weekly publication that I knew would get interest, and it was easy for me to test that idea. I also learned that expensive radio ads were garbage so I'm now kinda wondering if maybe I just need to find the right way to connect...

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
Ok, I re-read what you wrote, and thought about it for the last hour or two. I think I came up with something that I'm going to try which is I know who some of the higher ups/more respected ones are, and I'm going to offer value on a smaller scale to a couple of these folks at first as a tester in order to hopefully get me closer to a greater understanding of how to position myself. I'll report back here when I hopefully hear something.

Thank you for the help

SanMateo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 9, 2013
Colorado
So, are you suggesting that I just keep hammering it home....
Yes but with a value statement and pitch they can't refuse.

Ok, I re-read what you wrote, and thought about it for the last hour or two. I think I came up with something that I'm going to try which is I know who some of the higher ups/more respected ones are, and I'm going to offer value on a smaller scale to a couple of these folks at first as a tester in order to hopefully get me closer to a greater understanding of how to position myself. I'll report back here when I hopefully hear something.

Thank you for the help
Great, I'm looking forward to it. You're welcome.

Last edited:

kamanuci

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 7, 2013
If email and facebook is not working you have to go to them. Think about where they gather. Is it conventions, shows, music equipment shops, concerts? It's scary, I know but you have to get out there. To find out what other people want you have to "Get out of the building".

Here is a sample sentence for approaching people.

"Hi, My name is <name>. What's your name?

Nice to meet you <person's name>

I planning a startup and was wondering if I can ask you 3 questions to get your feedback. Is that ok?"

Most people will say no so expect that. Some will ask how long it will take so practice before hand with someone and time it so you can answer this question (Anything over 10 mins is too long). After your three questions, you can also tack on, do you know anyone else that you think I should ask to get some leads.

If they seem like they would be interested in it, then ask them if will be willing to give you their email address so they can receive updates. (This can be the start of your email list)

Tips include trying it out with your friends just to practice it. When you go out have a "no quota goal", that will help you get over the fear. If you have never heard of a "no quota" it is setting up a goal where you say you will approach as many people as possible until you had "X" number of people say no to you. For example, "Today I'm going to keep asking people until 30 people tell me they will not give me feedback". Going out with this attitude helps me. What I've noticed is that people are more open if you a girl. Not sure why, maybe girls don't make people as defensive? who knows. So you might think about bring a friend that is a girl along and have her approach the person first and after they say yes, you ask the 3 questions.

You also might want to check out the book "Running Lean" by Ash Maurya

http://runninglean.co/

Hope this helps.

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
To find out what other people want you have to "Get out of the building"
Wow. What's interesting about this statement is I have a SCORE councelor who's working with me and he gives this same advice! Very cool. Thank you.

I definitely know that there are several conventions and meetups for my market. I'm on it. I do definitely need to get back in the groove of being a direct salesman though. Its been years since I've done that but I have actually closed deals on things like Kirbys, residential mortgages and commercial hard money loans. So my attitude is bring it! I just want to be respectful.

I will definitely work on the approach you outlined.

As far as a lady friend coming along for the ride, I'm pretty much in hermit mode right now, and chased 'em all away! But I do understand this value.

And thank you very much for the book suggestion. I will read it. I read A LOT!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
Thank you! Reading through it now. And thanks for fixing the title.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
For marketing and advertising I would highly recommend the book: Cashvertising. I am currently reading it and the main aspect it teaches the phsychology of marketing while giving you concrete examples. One technique that stood out to me so far is if advertising creates "stress" it almost always drives a sale. Now there are techniques around doing so but it really made sense to me.

I could be wrong but I believe that MJ uses some of these tactics. If not intentionally then he is more of a genius than I thought. Example: The existence of the Fastlane INSIDERS and knowing that there were additional goodies behind that membership caused me stress because I felt that I was truly missing out on fantastic content such as: the INSIDERS Calls, networking opportunities, etc. that could help me and my business. Paying for it was a no brainer for me since I had enough internal stress for about it and I wanted to have as much information as I can to secure my Fastlane Action Plan. There is also such a thing as wanting to belong to something aspirational. Anyways I hope you get the gist.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
One more thing around testing ideas. Ever hear of MVP (Minimum Viable Product)? If not a search on google will yield you some good info. If your business is Fastlane (online) you can use this tactic pretty quickly to see if your idea is viable before putting an investment of time and money into it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.