The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Surround Yourself With Successful People

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Ok I can tell you the questions that I hate and instantly get me annoyed...

It's the level 1 questions that have no thought behind them.
"You think I should invest in real estate"
"Should I make a website"
"What should I sell"

and then if I do decide to answer these questions, the follow up questions annoy me even more... in fact I just had one of these conversations the other day.

"How do I calculate the mortgage?"
"What area has guaranteed renters?"

These questions are so broad and general and just come off as uneducated. I don't want to teach someone from kindergarten. Come at me with at least high school level questions and you may get some answers.

Also, when hanging around people you don't need to name drop, or money drop, networth drop or investment drop to make it seem like you belong in a conversation. That kind of stuff has nothing to do with whether you get accepted. I really don't care as long as you are a cool person.

Listen and observe without imposing, and you will get the answers you seek.

Be an impatient, "askhole" and you will get the answers you deserve.

mmm...that sounded a little new age goofy
BTW, do you guys know how I met SteveO? Ten years ago when I moved from Chicago to Arizona I sent him an email. I wish I could find it now, but it basically said that I'm interested in real estate investing and would like to talk to him or be a manager at one of his apartment buildings for free. So we met at one of his apartments in 2004 and the rest is history. :)

I can't remember how I met MJ. I have a vague memory of a restaurant somewhere. #MJ DeMarco, do you remember?

Stuff of legends- 99% of the population would not of done that; take that kind of leap.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
BTW, do you guys know how I met SteveO? Ten years ago when I moved from Chicago to Arizona I sent him an email. I wish I could find it now, but it basically said that I'm interested in real estate investing and would like to talk to him or be a manager at one of his apartment buildings for free. So we met at one of his apartments in 2004 and the rest is history. :)

I can't remember how I met MJ. I have a vague memory of a restaurant somewhere. #MJ DeMarco, do you remember?

I think that's pretty damn cool.

Ask and you shall receive, the worst thing that can happen is that someone will say no; don't ask and the answer is always no. That has single handedly been the practice that has helped me most in life.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
is there any fastlaner from India ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@biophase

I remember meeting up with @MJ DeMarco and some of the people from the group at the Pink Taco although that may have been the second time.

I do remember meeting you at the apartment building. We talked for quite a while. Way back then you didn't have much of a plan except to do some real estate. Times have changed for sure. :)

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
How about asking, "How do I become the type of guy that successful people want to be around?". Very good question, I for one WILL ask this because, I want to see responses.I know you don't know me, but you might know some of the steps I took. Leaping out there into the unknown. First, learning from web millionaires, then selling on my own both online and offline NOT GREAT but I had a few customers and tried real hard. Then, handling thousands of dollars for two brick and mortar companies, as well as, customer accounts not big businesses, both had less than 5 employees. And attending live events. Workshops and Seminars. ALL this time I also read plenty of books successful people wrote. (Still do, when I can) Heck, I even went through college online (Really, a disappointment) but was a step I took.

damondietz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 22, 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey, United States
You have to become that person others want to know

So, here is the deal. I was this person for quite some time. I love networking. I did a few years of professional speaking within my circle of groups. I became the person others wanted to be around. BUT, I let it get to my head.

I made a lot of mistakes and did some things I regret. I no longer associate with most people from those groups as I removed myself from them and I am now basically starting over. It's just difficult because I messed up so bad the first time around, I don't know what approach to take this time around. But, I know it needs to be done and am working on it!!

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Ok I can tell you the questions that I hate and instantly get me annoyed...

It's the level 1 questions that have no thought behind them.
"You think I should invest in real estate"
"Should I make a website"
"What should I sell"

and then if I do decide to answer these questions, the follow up questions annoy me even more... in fact I just had one of these conversations the other day.

"How do I calculate the mortgage?"
"What area has guaranteed renters?"

These questions are so broad and general and just come off as uneducated. I don't want to teach someone from kindergarten. Come at me with at least high school level questions and you may get some answers.

Also, when hanging around people you don't need to name drop, or money drop, networth drop or investment drop to make it seem like you belong in a conversation. That kind of stuff has nothing to do with whether you get accepted. I really don't care as long as you are a cool person.

Love this. and the point on nobody calling you after exchanging numbers a few times.

From what i've seen, everyone has huge dreams and ideas every day, but only a few will actually do anything with them. Most people just let those dreams keep them content while they sleep at night while a very rare few choose to bring those dreams into reality. I was on the phone with my dad yesterday and he's going on and on about "the guy at work" who "makes a bunch of money in the stock market" - My dad is going on and on about how the guy made X Y and Z and how easy it is to open an account and start, but my dad's been talking about this guy for almost a year now and still hasn't opened an account, nor has he asked any educated questions. He just gets driven by the carrot on the stick (some money and short term success) from the guy at work and that's IT.

My dad keeps bringing it up every time he talks to me, and my dad knows i've made money in the market for YEARS. I've been investing since 2012. and yet he'll never ask how to get started, he'll just continue to procrastinate.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I remember lunch at yard house with SteveO. Maybe that was it.
If I recall correctly, MJ's lambo was parked right outside the window. The valet put it on display instead of parking it in the garage.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
If you want to "surround" yourself with other fastlaner's it's simply a matter of attitude.

"Fastlaner" is a mindset, not an occupation. You can be in that mindset and be completely broke. However if that's your mindset others with a similar attitude will gravitate toward you and you to them. It doesn't matter how much money you make.

It's the same with any social circle. If your a drug addict you will gravitate towards other drug addicts. If your into the heavy metal lifestyle you'll gravitate towards other with the same lifestyle. If you play video games all the time, you'll end up hanging out with a lot of other gamers.

It's not so much as to "how do I do it" rather what lifestyle you live and breath. If you live and breath Entrepreuneriship you will naturally have them as friends primarily as your social circle.

So adjust your lifestyle and it will naturally come to you. You can have a "fastlane" mindset and be dead broke living in your parents garage.

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
@damondietz You sound like me, I learned to change that. Did you even read my thread that @Andy Black posted in the beginning? If not, you should.

So, here is the deal. I was this person for quite some time.

Stop seeking approval... You seem like your proposing some game plan to us. Nobody is going to hold your hand.
Stop with the vulture mentality... you seem to just want what you want... Look how many times you refer to yourself in your comments.. Always "Me, Myself, and I"... Be aware of helping other people... EDUCATE YOURSELF... Provide value, to EVERYBODY...
I have read a few of your posts in other threads on how people think you talk fast or what not... but thats neither here nor there. Who cares about what other people think of you.
Ok, So maybe you have approached people in an attempt to fit in this circle... Who cares! Do you first! Ask yourself why its not going as planned! The people you will want to surround yourself with will naturally gravitate to you. You have a lot of learning to do, as did I.

I am curious to know what your weekend habits look like? And what efforts have you made to SURROUND yourself (but not necessarily connect with yet) with the social circle you seek. It takes time my friend.

If I was able to change this mentality, so are you. Good luck my friend ;)

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
I think most of you guys are getting it all wrong. Some are close, but still didn't manage to nail it.

People fail at this a lot. It is most obvious in the example where guys get nice cars to attract chicks.

Wrong. Your car will be interesting for 2 seconds and a ride around the block.

You simply don't give people your specs and hope they give you a green card for their group.

You don't attract people with toys.

You attract them with you.

How, you may ask?

Well, believe it or not, getting into a circle of successful people is like getting into any other circle.

You don't need to be successful yourself. You don't need a lambo, you don't need a nice suit, you don't need any of that shit.

What you do need is interior value, contrary to the aforementioned exterior.

The gist of it is be cool, but since cool is very vague, I'll give some pointers.
  • Warmth and relatability: If you're going to act like a douche, you will see people run from you like you have the plague. Successful people value their time, and they certainly won't waste it on a cunt. You need to genuinely care about people, you want to get to know them on a more personal level, else you will feel fake and like you just want to be in the club. If you make people feel like they've known you for years, many doors will be open for you.
  • Coolness: This one will be a bit tricky to explain. You want to be in control of the situation, you need to appear effortless. If you spaz all over the place and act like a monkey on LSD, You will not be taken seriously, you will not appear effortless, and you certainly won't be cool. So chill out ;) Also you need to be direct in whatever you do. Think "Thick Face, Black Heart", know many of you read it (and if you haven't, what are you waiting for). Don't beat around the bush, don't hide your intentions. If you wan't something, get it. (Implement the effortlessness mentioned above, though)
  • Talking Skills: This one's pretty obvious, so i won't go into much detail, but do not underestimate it. You won't succeed without it. Always sharpen your conversational skills.
  • Looks: You don't have to be a supermodel, rarely who is. But if you look like a slob, you're F*cked from the outset. If anyone wants to debate the age-old saying that "It's what's on the inside that counts" Let me tell you that your outsides are a reflection of your insides. If you look like something that resembles roadkill from Chernobyl, your inner charm won't be helpful much. While we're on this I want to add that first impressions are critical.
This is something that has made most of my relations much easier. Because at the end of the day, when you lose all your shiny trophies, you will still be remembered as "That cool guy".

juturna

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Aug 3, 2015
The best way to be apart of that particular group is if you have what it takes to ride with them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.