The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to make $1,570 in one day | Dumpster Diving

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Ha, I did! We had great success to the point where we actually bought the dumpsters and trucks to haul the "merch" away. I sold that business about 5 years ago due to scaling problems. Once you hit the 1M pounds level the big waste haulers notice and put you out of business.
How / who did you sell to?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
The company I work for throws away lots of material and various other items related to joinery. We manufacture furniture and we burn the off cuts we can but we still have too many for our burner. Every other week we have a 16 yard skip emptied but that's not enough for our waste.

People in the factory tend to store things of value that are left over from a job but this means the factory becomes cluttered. The other day we had a factory clear out and brought in a 40 yard roll off dumpster, we had to be ruthless with what we threw because otherwise it just sits in the factory and space is a premium. Lots of stuff got thrown away that would have been valuable to the right person.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This is one of the most amaze balls side hustle threads I've ever come across.

Even though the rewards are pretty sizeable...how does he mitigate the eventual and (I'd imagine) common...er...crappier and hazardous contents you would, typically, expect to find in those there dumpsters?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Ok, so I know this couple that sells on ebay and nowadays they sell on a lot of the local sales sites. They do some dumpster diving but it's not the type of dumpster in the picture. It is LEGAL in their town and they go to high end stores. It's no secret they do this. They've been stopped be the police and by the store employees and neither really said anything..... just making sure they were ok. This is only one way they get things to sell. They both retired from 6 figure jobs to go in to this business. They like doing this for some reason so more power to them. Lots of guys around here go around and pick things up from the curb. They miss out on probably $100,000+ a year because they have a pickup full of things and they take it to the scrap yard and get pennies for it but if they were smart they would sell it on the local sites and make WAY more than at the scrap yard. Neither of these is Fastlane and for the record..... even if dumpster diving was Fastlane, I don't think I could do it, even in 'clean' dumpsters behind businesses. :)

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
The strategy here is definitely to find a way to have a college pay you to be the company that removes students' end-of-semester trash in addition to the salvaging that is described here, thus winning on both ends of the deal.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Yeah but that's only when school lets out and only a few dumpsters. Not even enough there to call it a side hustle.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just can’t understand this. A trash collecting business that recycles the metal, cool... but there’s no way you would find me treasure hunting in a dumpster.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I just can’t understand this. A trash collecting business that recycles the metal, cool... but there’s no way you would find me treasure hunting in a dumpster.

lol My friend who does this owns a software business, and simply goes dumpster diving for the fun of it; often times finding things of value that bring in a few hundred to dollars here and there. Not even for the money.

Then, there are people out there who do it full time, with pickup trucks going out every day and such.

It's a Boulder thing.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
lol My friend who does this owns a software business, and simply goes dumpster diving for the fun of it; often times finding things of value that bring in a few hundred to dollars here and there. Not even for the money.

Then, there are people out there who do it full time, with pickup trucks going out every day and such.

It's a Boulder thing.

I hope all these people have their hepatitis shots.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I'll be honest with you. I find it extremely hard to respect anyone that will dumpster dive when they are earning a living some other way.

One of the issues that I have seen personally is that some organizations such as Goodwill have had to remove their collection boxes around cities UNLESS they are manned. There were droves of people running around at night going through the boxes and removing the best of the lot. I knew someone that did this to pay for their drugs. She told me that sometimes there would be 2 or 3 of them going through a collection box at 3 a.m.

Anyone that will dumpster dive isn't too far from stealing from a charity collection box. Justification is just around the corner.

When I give items away, I don't expect someone that really doesn't need it to take it for resale.

Dumpster diving behind stores and other places isn't what I would consider an honorable 'hobby'.

xps2340

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
388%
Dec 25, 2013
I'll be honest with you. I find it extremely hard to respect anyone that will dumpster dive when they are earning a living some other way.

One of the issues that I have seen personally is that some organizations such as Goodwill have had to remove their collection boxes around cities UNLESS they are manned. There were droves of people running around at night going through the boxes and removing the best of the lot. I knew someone that did this to pay for their drugs. She told me that sometimes there would be 2 or 3 of them going through a collection box at 3 a.m.

Anyone that will dumpster dive isn't too far from stealing from a charity collection box. Justification is just around the corner.

When I give items away, I don't expect someone that really doesn't need it to take it for resale.

Dumpster diving behind stores and other places isn't what I would consider an honorable 'hobby'.
Respectfully, I hold the opposite view. Dumpster diving may be considered the MOST honorable hobby.

First off, garbage you put in the garbage bin are NOT donations. Donations you make in a Donation box at a Donation company is Donation! Pilfering that is wrong, and we agree there. But you can't equate that to garbage, which is what is in a dumpster.

Secondly, dumpster diving means you're creating value out of nothing (actually less than nothing, as garbage has negative "value"). You're using no resources to create something. Less pollution, less waste, less everything. Basically the poster child of Reduce/Reuse/Recycle. Keeping things out of the landfill and not creating more pollution I think is quite honorable.

Essentially, garbage dumpster =/= donation box

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Great idea to earn more. very interesting story. dumpster rental is a good service in usa.

Great way to spam your business on here but this thread has nothing to do with renting a dumpster. I'd be nicer and explain but I'm not sure you are interested in anything except trying to get a link..... which actually doesn't do much if anything nowadays anyway.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I hope all these people have their hepatitis shots.
Yea.. he's making a joke but actually watch out. People throw out MacBooks, but you know what else they throw out? Needles. Among other things. I mean it's cool you made some money but I'd really be careful.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

I think this is a bit much. They're taking from dumpsters that are throwing things away. Not the donation box.

Respectfully, I hold the opposite view. Dumpster diving may be considered the MOST honorable hobby.

First off, garbage you put in the garbage bin are NOT donations. Donations you make in a Donation box at a Donation company is Donation! Pilfering that is wrong, and we agree there. But you can't equate that to garbage, which is what is in a dumpster.

Secondly, dumpster diving means you're creating value out of nothing (actually less than nothing, as garbage has negative "value"). You're using no resources to create something. Less pollution, less waste, less everything. Basically the poster child of Reduce/Reuse/Recycle. Keeping things out of the landfill and not creating more pollution I think is quite honorable.

Essentially, garbage dumpster =/= donation box

From a moral perspective, I agree. All those items would be crushed otherwise, wasting manhours, increasing CO2 emmissions etc. I mean I'm certainly not going swimming in a dumpster, but morally it checks out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.