The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to "look busy" and keep your day job?

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
When I saw the title of this thread, I was shocked that this could even be a discussion topic on this forum.

Personally, I disagree that your work ethic should change based on whether your time is spent working for a large company vs. a small business (entrepreneur).

Why in the world would you waste 8-10 years of your life if you weren’t being rewarded properly or felt like you were not contributing to the company?

I spent 10 years working for 3 different Fortune 500 companies. I never spent time ‘looking busy’….. I WAS BUSY. I completed my work load and then, when I was done, I looked for more. Either by working ahead, going back to fine tune/make improvements, asking my superior what else needed to be done or helping co-workers who were overwhelmed. As a result, I was either rewarded without having to say a word or I made a case as to why I should be rewarded. If I felt I was not getting my due, I started looking for a new place to work!

As a consultant, I was exposed to many large, corporate environments. I was always amazed by the people who rolled in at 9:30, spent half their day at the water cooler/surfing the net/wandering the halls and then rolled out at 4pm on the dot. Collecting their paycheck and having the nerve to bitch about it at the same time. On some occasions this seemed to be almost 50% of the employees.

Of course there are always going to be wasteful meetings, bureaucratic games, etc. I agree that time could/should be better spent but until you own the company, you have no choice but to play along (or quit).

Small company, big company…..whatever. At the end of the day, people own that company – be it shareholders, taxpayers or individual owners. Pretending to do your job, by building some smoke and mirror image of being ‘busy’ is THEFT, in my opinion.

I would be ashamed of myself.

This, in my opinion, is a huge part of what is wrong in America these days.

Rant over (for now)!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
phlgirl I understand you rant. I don't think anyone here said that this was right, it just is what it is. Not all people can just quit their jobs and they have to put up with this junk everyday. I do agree it is part of the problem with our country. I fought it for 8 years, and then 5 more years in the education system. It is what it is, and it's bigger than you and me. Also, I do agree with getting out as soon as you can.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
WOW!

I think this thread has a kind of tongue in cheek element to it, and should probably be taken as such.

As a business owner myself, I'm certainly not advocating "theft". Sometimes one is busier - being asked to pull a rabbit out of a thimble, than at other times. Yet there is an expectation that one should always "look busy". I don't think it should be taken for more than that.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Man PHLGRL is all fired up. Do you see how much energy you just wasted by giving a damn? ROFL ;)

:groove:

Seriously though -- I think you are taking yourself a little bit too seriously. Did you work in IT PHLGRL? It goes even deeper than just working for a Fortune 500, I'm going to get specific about why I hate my job and place in the world --- I think that working in the IT department within a fortune 500 (Post Dot-Com Boom Era) has got to be about the most self depreciating jobs someone can do. You will always be looked at by the rest of the company as OVERHEAD, you'll never get paid what you deserve, you'll have to watch your friends get laid off week after week, month after month -- You'll be asked to do more with less, receive no continuing training/education (Again, you are a COST, not worth investing in), the stock options and bonuses are gone for good, the list goes on and on and on....

I'd say over 50% of the people working in this industry have left the field entirely over the past 8 years. That should tell you something right there about the level of happiness in the industry ;)

Re: Wasted time -- I don't look at it as wasted, as it's the only reason I was able to get approved for all those loans and do all those real estate deals the past 10 years. It also didn't hurt to have health insurance with small children running around uner foot.

- Hakrjak

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
p.s. -- That "Theft" comment had me in stitches... It reminded me of this manager we had a couple of years ago who used to walk around mumbling, "I know people are taking vacation and not putting it on their timecards! That is theft!", or "I know people are taking long lunches... You guys are stealing from the company!!!!"

The guy ended up rubbing so many people the wrong way we ended up collectively going to HR (All of his employees), and had the guy removed for harrassing behavior. LOL I guess he doesn't have to worry about all that theft anymore now that he's out on his a$$... ROFL

I'm in stitches over here.. stitches I tell you! ROFL :)

- Hakrjak

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
I think that working in the IT department within a fortune 500 (Post Dot-Com Boom Era) has got to be about the most self depreciating jobs someone can do. You will always be looked at by the rest of the company as OVERHEAD, you'll never get paid what you deserve, you'll have to watch your friends get laid off week after week, month after month -- You'll be asked to do more with less, receive no continuing training/education (Again, you are a COST, not worth investing in), the stock options and bonuses are gone for good, the list goes on and on and on....

:nopity:Wah.... Cry me a river, Hak.

I would love to hear what you think you 'deserve' for this:

hakrjak said:
After rotting there for 2 years, the next 3 years....
Out of total bitterness, I did absolutely nothing for 3 years, and I mean NOTHING. I didn't even get out of bed before noon each day, and I never went to the office... I spoke to my boss maybe once every 3-4 months, and just waited for the axe to fall.

Re: Wasted time -- I don't look at it as wasted, as it's the only reason I was able to get approved for all those loans and do all those real estate deals the past 10 years. It also didn't hurt to have health insurance with small children running around uner foot.

If you don't look at it as wasted time, then why all the whining? You should consider yourself LUCKY that someone is paying you to do NOTHING.

And, yes, Hak, I worked in IT for 9 years.

Life is what you make it.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hey I do consider myself lucky, I don't know how you can miss that. Just because I'm pointing out all the negs about corporate america and IT inside fortune 500's doen't mean that I'm saying I'm not doing better than so many other sad sacks out there these days.

Are you really this serious all the time, or is this an act? :rolleyes: haha

Lighten up!

- Hakrjak

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Hak...

If you ever find yourself employing people - do me a favor and come back and reread the thread. I wonder if you would see anything here differently.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Hey, this thread was intended to be fun and to let a few of us vent a little bit about our ridiculous day jobs. :D There's no need to be a Debbie Downer :( -- I do employ people, and it's a whole different ballgame with the type of businesses I'm in. You know that. There is no office, and if somebody isn't working -- I know about it. It would be impossible for me to go 3 months without talking to one of my employees like in the fortune 500 illustration above.

- Hakrjak

Qjet50

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 26, 2007
Pearl City, HI
After 10 years in, you'll come out exactly like Peter in the movie "Office Space" (I get accused of being him regularly! haha)

- Hakrjak

So I guess you have done your share of TPS reports? :smug2: In my home office, I have a red swingline stapler you can use anytime.

RaceDriver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 25, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Find out what your boss really wants you to do, and make sure that gets done. After that, not much else will matter.

For myself, I make sure that my business stays highly profitable. If you're making money for your boss(es), they will put up with quite a bit.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah tell me about it! Back when I worked at a marina I built the engine parts sales side myself, and was bringing in a ton of money for them. So as a result they were quite willing to put up with some of my crap. Like coming in late, and taking some breaks. Oh and ordering/selling stuff for my friends at cost.

It all comes down to the bottom line, if you add to it they will keep you around.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I love it!

"The bad news is that, like it or not, corporate mentality is what it is. The forty-hour week is not just an expectation; it’s the minimum, especially for salaried professionals. Self-proclaimed workaholics advertise their twelve-hour days like a badge of honor and wouldn’t be caught dead leaving the office before 6:30 p.m.

Just because it’s the norm doesn’t make it right. Ready to take a stand? You don’t have to defy your boss and coworkers in a dramatic five o’clock showdown. Here are some practical ideas that can help you on your way to regaining control over your time."

Exactly what we were all saying...

- Hakrjak

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Then you will love these rules (esp. cause now you are one of the bosses):

20 RULES IN ANY OFFICE

1. The Boss is ALWAYS right.
2. If the Boss is wrong, see rule 1.
3. Those who work get more work. Others get pay, perks, and promotions.
4. Ph.D. stands for "Pull Him Down". The more intelligent a person, the more hardworking a person, the more committed a person; the more number of persons are engaged in pulling that person down.
5. If you are good, you will get all the work. If you are really good, you will get out of it.
6. When the Bosses talk about improving productivity, they are never talking about themselves.
7. It doesn't matter what you do, it only matters what you say you've done and what you are going to do.
8. A pat on the back is only a few centimeters from a kick in the butt.
9. Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.
10. The more crap you put up with, the more crap you are going to get.
11. If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it...
12. When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.
13. Following the rules will not get the job done.
14. If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
15. Everything can be filed under "Miscellaneous".
16. No matter how much you do, you never do enough.
17. You can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work you are supposed to be doing.
18. In order to get a promotion, you need not necessarily know your job.
19. In order to get a promotion, you only need to pretend that you know your job.
20. The last person that quit or was fired will be held responsible for everything that goes wrong.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.