The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Unicorn 'Don't Quit Your Day Job' Agreement

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

realcoolguy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jun 20, 2022
Cosmos, Minnesota
Hi all,

Thought I'd share this since it's actually interesting. I'm getting paid by my boss to start my own business. (It wasn't an immediate agreement, however)

I had a talk with my boss a while ago (that went off the rails until he finally got on the same page as me). The long story short is I work for an IT/MSP (Managed Service Provider) company but I'm determined to start my own company. I decided VOIP (Voice Over IP or VOIP Phone Service) was a good fit after all my experiences went well and I was prepared to meet the many specialized regulations and properly file the paperwork.

Once I explained how we couldn't do co-ownership based on the pitfalls I found out on this forum, he was upset that I would go off and do my own thing. Even threatened to use our labor contract against me, though I was preparing to walk and start with nothing to do with him and we wouldn't be doing the same thing anyway (his threat meant nothing).

Now however he's starting to see that VOIP and his MSP (managed service provider) business can partner brilliantly. He's come full 180 on it and we're at the end stage of hashing out a white label and commission agreement since I am going to drive sales for both businesses at the same time. I'll get paid to prospect. I'll earn commission selling on the MSP side. On the VOIP side, anything I sell would fall into our white-label agreement and the MSP company would get a monthly % but the brand would be presented as being of the MSP. I'd also be free to target and sell on my own time. Especially areas outside the MSP operation area since eventually I'll outgrow the MSP service area. I seem to be a genius with small medical/vision clinics since that's the major area of my experience and I've gotten amazing feedback.

A little more background is I do a lot of admin work and configuration of the software the MSP uses and I'm more than a little important. The problem was that at the pace we were going and the limits that were put in place I'd never earn very much. Well, not in the context of this forum. A job is a slow lane after all.

I posted questions regarding my evolving situation and got amazing advice here. My boss though to his credit has evolved a lot over the past couple of months. Dramatically.

What is of interest though is that I have a financially stable path to starting. I really don't have to quit my job. My boss will evolve into a co-entrepreneur over time.

Special thanks to everyone who gave me advice before, MJ, and his books/community. I'd trade my college degrees for this forum any day of the week. I'm definitely on the path forward.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hi all,

Thought I'd share this since it's actually interesting. I'm getting paid by my boss to start my own business. (It wasn't an immediate agreement, however)

I had a talk with my boss a while ago (that went off the rails until he finally got on the same page as me). The long story short is I work for an IT/MSP (Managed Service Provider) company but I'm determined to start my own company. I decided VOIP (Voice Over IP or VOIP Phone Service) was a good fit after all my experiences went well and I was prepared to meet the many specialized regulations and properly file the paperwork.

Once I explained how we couldn't do co-ownership based on the pitfalls I found out on this forum, he was upset that I would go off and do my own thing. Even threatened to use our labor contract against me, though I was preparing to walk and start with nothing to do with him and we wouldn't be doing the same thing anyway (his threat meant nothing).

Now however he's starting to see that VOIP and his MSP (managed service provider) business can partner brilliantly. He's come full 180 on it and we're at the end stage of hashing out a white label and commission agreement since I am going to drive sales for both businesses at the same time. I'll get paid to prospect. I'll earn commission selling on the MSP side. On the VOIP side, anything I sell would fall into our white-label agreement and the MSP company would get a monthly % but the brand would be presented as being of the MSP. I'd also be free to target and sell on my own time. Especially areas outside the MSP operation area since eventually I'll outgrow the MSP service area. I seem to be a genius with small medical/vision clinics since that's the major area of my experience and I've gotten amazing feedback.

A little more background is I do a lot of admin work and configuration of the software the MSP uses and I'm more than a little important. The problem was that at the pace we were going and the limits that were put in place I'd never earn very much. Well, not in the context of this forum. A job is a slow lane after all.

I posted questions regarding my evolving situation and got amazing advice here. My boss though to his credit has evolved a lot over the past couple of months. Dramatically.

What is of interest though is that I have a financially stable path to starting. I really don't have to quit my job. My boss will evolve into a co-entrepreneur over time.

Special thanks to everyone who gave me advice before, MJ, and his books/community. I'd trade my college degrees for this forum any day of the week. I'm definitely on the path forward.

Make sure you get something in writing. Things like this can go south fast if things turn out better or worse than expected.

Congrats and good luck! Hope to see a good outcome!

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Hi all,

Congratulations!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.