The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

SuperDuper

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 13, 2016
I never compete in price. If someone starts mentioning companies who can do websites for lower I start seeing red flags. Web design is something that can always be done cheaper but thats not how you win the game.

I have linked to it a few times on this thread but this quick book is key:
https://www.freshbooks.com/ebooks/breaking-the-time-barrier

I price on value added.
And I get those jobs through showing people how I already added value for other companies and how I will add value for them.

Does a company want a website or do they want results? If they want a cheap website Im the wrong guy. If they want results Im their guy ;)

Do you show potential clients the results of previous client's designs or the results of your client's sales?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Do you show potential clients the results of previous client's designs or the results of your client's sales?

I mention general results. Usually the website speaks for themselves or they have been referred in person.

I have shown Google analytics and specific results on occasion though.

Do what it takes while not giving anything away your past clients won't want to be known.

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
I mention general results. Usually the website speaks for themselves or they have been referred in person.

I have shown Google analytics and specific results on occasion though.

Do what it takes while not giving anything away your past clients won't want to be known.
I just saw this interesting scene from The Intership movie. It's about two guys selling Google ads to an old school business owner who "doesn't want to change anything". The owner initially refuses the offer by some young geeks who couldn't relate to him, but these guys bulid rapport with him and eventually he decides to accept the offer.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
im just curious, why learn to code vs. just using something like Divi and wordpress themes? IS there any advantage to learning how to code?

mjblackwood

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 4, 2016
It has taken me a long time to have time to create this thread and for that I apologize. I have been getting PMs for months and while I helped a lot of you out with detailed responses I wanted to start a thread so everyone would have access to the same information.

*** This isn't exact Fastlane, at least not in the beginning, but its a great way to earn 5 figures a month, learn the skills to create and run your own FL business while building a network of top business people***

Back at the beginning of the year I packed up everything I owned in Canada and moved to South America. I was keen to make enough income to stay down there while also building my own Fastlane business. Problem was I had no online skills, no idea what to do and have never ran a successful business before.

I just launched my business last week and I am still down here living happily so I guess I could say things have gone very well. Hopefully this information helps others achieve similar success and allows them to start pursuing their dreams.

So first things first:

- I started with zero coding knowledge in January of this year. I didn't know how to host a website, I didn't know what HTML or CSS was, I made a tonne of really basic mistakes and figured it all out by myself. I didn't take any expensive courses, had no mentors and probably only spent a few hundred dollars getting set up.

It took me a while to refine my niche but what I now focus on is building simple yet powerful websites that get huge results. No crazy interactive code, no fancy graphics, just simple, clean, professional websites that add huge value to the clients who hire me.

In the last few months I have
- built a website that landed a $1 million pus contract for the guys who hired me (they hadn't worked in over 8 months - oil company)
- built a website that helped get a pro athlete into a world tournament and increased pay from his sponsors (social media profile increase)
- Built a website that has a lawyer making over 1k a week on consultations

While I made good money on these websites its nice to know that the value I added is many times more and all my clients have been very satisfied.

I am still in the early stages of figuring this all out though so as this thread goes along I will still update with what I am learning and what has changed. Right now my problem is scaling, I need more top sales people on the ground selling websites for me. I will come back to this in another post maybe.

So how to begin:

So todays lesson is on how to get started at the very start. You know nothing and you want to get in on this action too. Some quick notes - I build "custom" HTML websites 99% of the time, I don't use wordpress except in some rare cases for add on blog/news sections to my sites. Why? Most of my clients are very busy, non tech people. They don't want or have time to update their websites. They want it built well and they want it to run itself. HTML is a lot better for this and when done right looks way more professional.

How to begin with HTML:

Take the HTML and CSS lessons on https://www.codecademy.com/.

You can also do the JS section but I didn't and have been just fine.

Next take the following UDEMY course:

https://www.udemy.com/design-and-develop-a-killer-website-with-html5-and-css3/

After this you will now know how to edit and work with HTML themes. What does that mean?

Well there is no point creating a website from scratch. That takes years of coding experience and a lot of time for each new clients. Luckily enough people have gone and created HTML themes - its an already coded website where you just rearrange, switch out the pictures and text and add in a few extra bits (I will show how to do all of this at a later stage).

An example of a theme is here...

https://themeforest.net/item/foundry-multipurpose-html-variant-page-builder/11562108?s_rank=9

It just a blank slate with a certain style that you work with. While this may seem like strange or cheating (I thought this was how to learn to build websites!??) its not. Anyone with an internet can create a website these days so that is not where we will be adding value. We add value by building a website with a purpose. We want to build websites that get results and make money, or whatever they are trying to achieve, for the owner.

So how do you build a website that gets great results?

Good question.

As @Andy Black would say you want sales not a website. I am going to meet him half way with you want to build a website that gets sales. Not a website that looks amazing, has cool videos and sections, talks about the companies recent gold tournament or how they really wanted to do X since they were 5. Now it might do one or all of these things but only IF it helps gets sales.

Every page, link, click and action on the website is to help facilitate the growth of the company and sales.

Lets take for example an immigration lawyer website...

Is the goal of the site to teach you about immigration law?
Is it to show you stats of work, trade and education within the country?
Is it to teach you about what to do when you first arrive, what to pack, what to expect?

No.

The whole purpose of that website is for the user to either book a consultation or contact them regarding their services. Which both lead to that person hiring them as their immigration lawyer.

Now it might use some of the above to help with that goal but it only has one main purpose. Everything we do for that client must help with that goal or if it doesn't help... be removed.

You are going to learn to take the value of threads of here regarding copywriting, sales and the Fastlane Mindset and apply it other peoples businesses to help them achieve massive results. This just happens to take the form of a website. You are really selling sales and results.

Once you sell results there is no limit to what you can charge and achieve.

If you have read all this and want to start follow the above links, compete them fully and then follow along with the next stages. There will be a lot to cover but I will outline everything you need to know to be making over $10,000 a month with 6 months*.

*Assumes actual work ethic, being able to do some learning by yourself and filling in the gaps. I will give advice but I won't be holding anyones hand step-by-step.

Next lesson... Client selection.
Hey Fox,
I have a question for you.. When you select a HTML template, what licence do you select? Regular or extended? It seems to me I would have to buy extended licence to be able to sell the website.
I know you're a busy guy so I appreciate your time answering me!
Thanks,
Mark

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
I have posted this before elsewhere but getting sales is 60-80% of running a web design company. Learn how to do it yourself and you will aways be in work.

I am not against the above service, although $5250 is a decent chunk of change, but start off learn how to sell yourself.

One of my favorite parts of doing this whole thing is the fun of selling sites. I like knowing a few minutes on the phone could be worth 5 figures in income.
Beautiful! Marvelous! HIGH ROI BABY! :)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Hey Fox,
I have a question for you.. When you select a HTML template, what licence do you select? Regular or extended? It seems to me I would have to buy extended licence to be able to sell the website.
Thanks,
Mark
You only need an extended license if the end user is going to pay to use the site. The end user being your clients customers.

For example if you use a template to create a SaaS or premium magazine site and charged a monthly you would need the extended template.

Cato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Sep 29, 2016
Europe
Question to Fox...

-Do you offer certain guarantees to your clients as an results? If not, what do you answer to prospects if they ask?

Thank you in advance :)

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
im just curious, why learn to code vs. just using something like Divi and wordpress themes? IS there any advantage to learning how to code?

I've built websites from scratch and used themes. Let's say I use a theme and the client wants something different. For example a different header, or a CTA / banner in the header. Some themes don't have that option (like Divi). that's why you need to learn some coding to change things like that.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I've been getting better with HTML, CSS, and Bootstrap. I will eventually be learning JQuery and Javascript.

I have a fantastic theme builder already that utilizes Wordpress.

My question would be this:
  • I identify a potential client. Client has a website= www.companyx.com. Company X is currently running on X database.
  • I use hosting company xyz
  • I want to use my hosting company to host the website as they are fast and have amazing uptime
How would I go about getting the client's website on my host, so that I can use the Wordpress CMS, and then subsequently my theme builder?

Thanks again Rob! The quality is amazing in this thread.

Just ask them if its okay to switch. I have changed a few clients over (I use GoDaddy). Just watch out for their email system and backup everything so you can switch back if things go wrong.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey Fox,
Thanks,
Mark

Usually just the normal license.
It only really affects the length of support you need.

It doesn't have anything to do with how the long the website is on the web for.

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 6.36.23 AM.png

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Question to Fox...

-Do you offer certain guarantees to your clients as an results? If not, what do you answer to prospects if they ask?

Thank you in advance :)

No guarantees on performance - visitors, sales etc. but I do work with clients until they are happy with the site. I build a large site recently that went over by a month to facilitate changes. I am cutting back on that but keep in mind I am still growing too.

The biggest thing that drags out a website is either a hosting issue or content. Some clients have no idea what they want for content, until you write it all and then they know exactly what they want. Getting content done asap is the best way to cut down on a bigger sites build time.

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
The biggest thing that drags out a website is either a hosting issue or content. Some clients have no idea what they want for content, until you write it all and then they know exactly what they want. Getting content done asap is the best way to cut down on a bigger sites build time.

This is so F*ckin true.

JoeK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 30, 2016
I've discovered this app for Mac OS called "Sketch". It's perfect for web design, you can create the design how you want, and I could be wrong, but there's a plugin that will convert it all to HTML and CSS. Pretty neat stuff I think.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I think he was talking about this:

https://themeforest.net/licenses/standard

Yeah the extended support use generally useless though.

Ill have to switch it up then I guess. Thats strange since I have contacted theme makers about issues on websites and they have never called me out on breaking the theme rules (mentioning it was for a client in the email etc). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Course is full guys. Maybe will run again at some point in the future but not sure.

Hopefully some huge success stories on here soon. Thanks to everyone who showed interest.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Ill have to switch it up then I guess. Thats strange since I have contacted theme makers about issues on websites and they have never called me out on breaking the theme rules (mentioning it was for a client in the email etc). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
No, it's fine that it's for a client. Only if the client is charging their users. Like the INSIDERS section of this forum.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I've built websites from scratch and used themes. Let's say I use a theme and the client wants something different. For example a different header, or a CTA / banner in the header. Some themes don't have that option (like Divi). that's why you need to learn some coding to change things like that.
I genuinely thought with divi you could completely manipulate the theme however you wanted. I guess like you said you need the programming to do the more complex stuff. Interesting

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I always find these threads interesting because what happens is all these people come out of the wood work to try and replicate the the OP. I find it rather comical how many copy cats are out there and without creativity. I'm sure this thread has inspired hundreds of 18 to 30 year olds to start website devlopement compnaies

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
I always find these threads interesting because what happens is all these people come out of the wood work to try and replicate the the OP. I find it rather comical how many copy cats are out there and without creativity. I'm sure this thread has inspired hundreds of 18 to 30 year olds to start website devlopement compnaies
I'm not gonna lie, I've got lecture 50 of the udemy course buffering up as I type.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Normally I might agree but with this thread there is a very good chance to match or even surpass me with 6 months solid effort.

- There is no shortage of terrible websites
- There is a large shortage of people willing to pitch and close "off the beaten track" companies
- You don't beed any amazing skill or talent

Also I have some large disadvantages
- Only know HTML and CSS. I can't do any JS, PHP etc.
- Live in Colombia
- I go to school for half the day
- Can't even meet a client in person

Will everyone be able to do it? No.
Is it possible though to do this with the right amount of effort? Definitely

nitop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Dec 21, 2015
anyone who has done 3-4 client websites in a specific niche and got their testinomials, let me know..:
i'll partner up , and ramp up the agency with paid media and webinars.. ( i'll close clients for 50% profits, u do the fulfillment ) ..
best of luck!

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
anyone who has done 3-4 client websites in a specific niche and got their testinomials, let me know..:
i'll partner up , and ramp up the agency with paid media and webinars.. ( i'll close clients for 50% profits, u do the fulfillment ) ..
best of luck!

We'll be in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Dec 21, 2015
i'd like to share a couple of great ways to explode your web agency :

1) choose a large niche ( at least 10,000 biz ) , and be the go to guy for them .. i.e , do 3-4 websites in that niche , get testinomials , and ( optionally but recommended ) .., write or outsourse a book ( and publish on amazon ) ... so you can call yourself " author of "xyz" )when doing outreachfor new clients ..

2) use this cold email template , highly effective , and it gets the ice broken with the potential prospect ( bonus tip : outsource your prospecting to some flipino for 300$ a month ) .. your ONLY job ( if u rely on outbound marketing ) should be to fill your calender with sales calls , not filling your prospect pipeline and cold emailing them..
http://www.breakthroughemail.com/coldemailtemplate.pdf

hope thats useful..

m500

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 3, 2015
United Kingdon
This topic is great and has really got me thinking about myself and what I'm doing.

I'm actually in the web game myself, and have been pretty down on it for a while. I've been fed up and looking for something else to do (shiny object syndrome) and have been jumping from one thing to the next over the last 18 months or so.

I've actually got an established business that grew and did ok for the first couple of years. The last couple of years haven't been great though. I've been blaming external factors when really I've always known that the onus lies with me to sort things out.

Reading this thread has given me a major wake up call. My company is already established and we have some impressive clients in our portfolio. I have no excuse.

(BTW, my company is UK based and includes me and one other partner, who's more of a technical guy. We use contractors/freelancers when the need arises. I've always wanted to build a bigger team, win bigger and better jobs and basically create a 'proper' business. We've not got there though and have definitely stalled.)

I've read this thread and also listened to 2 podcasts recommended by @Andy Black http://www.tropicalmba.com/consulting/ and http://www.tropicalmba.com/services/ and will listen to the other one http://www.tropicalmba.com/scale/ today

This book is fantastic https://www.freshbooks.com/ebooks/breaking-the-time-barrier and really cemented a lot of what I'd read in this thread, and made me realise where I've been going wrong.

I have a few questions if that's ok:
  1. What form do your proposals/quotations take? Is it a slick document or do you send options in an email?
  2. How long do you spend on a typical proposal? I guess this depends on the complexity of the project, but let's say for a basic company website that includes a homepage, about section, news section, services section and contact. Would you supply price options for a project like this?
  3. When you come up with your price, do you offer any justification in your proposal? e.g. you know the website should generate 200k of business so you come in at 20k. Do you justify this in the proposal or would wait to see their response? How do you do this - send your proposal and then follow up with a call once they've had chance look over it?

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
Course is full guys. Maybe will run again at some point in the future but not sure.

Congrats! :)

And thanks for sharing your experience and helping some of us with this thread.
I'm just starting the HTML5/CSS3 course you recommended. And I don't plan to start chasing clients before a couple of months for personal reasons. But once I start looking for clients, I will contact you to know if and when you will do some mentoring again.

Thanks again for the thread. Well deserved GOLD :)

Cato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Sep 29, 2016
Europe
You only need an extended license if the end user is going to pay to use the site. The end user being your clients customers.

For example if you use a template to create a SaaS or premium magazine site and charged a monthly you would need the extended template.

I have bought many, many themes through years and I have understand that with regular license you can build 1 site to 1 client (and ask for fee), and this client can ask money from other users (as you make woocommerce site, users can buy products and such, or you make magazine and users can buy subscription, or you make directory site and sell spots on directory) BUT you or your client can`t sell the site.

Only with extended license you or your client CAN sell whole SITE to other "end user" later.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I have bought many, many themes through years and I have understand that with regular license you can build 1 site to 1 client (and ask for fee), and this client can ask money from other users (as you make woocommerce site, users can buy products and such, or you make magazine and users can buy subscription, or you make directory site and sell spots on directory) BUT you or your client can`t sell the site.

Only with extended license you or your client CAN sell whole SITE to other "end user" later.
No. The license transfers when you sell the end product to your client. You sell the end product, not the template.

https://themeforest.net/licenses/terms/extended

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.