The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get your first customer?

Idea threads

alroylewis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 12, 2023
I have thought of a way to create emense value for my customers by making it easier for them to sell off their websites whether partially or in full. For the service I take a small broker fee.

I have all the systems in place, however I am struggling to get my first customer. How have others in the service industry got over this hurdle?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I have thought of a way to create emense value for my customers by making it easier for them to sell off their websites whether partially or in full. For the service I take a small broker fee.

I have all the systems in place, however I am struggling to get my first customer. How have others in the service industry got over this hurdle?

How about you tell us what you have done to get the first customer?

Start there.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany

I'd say go take a look at how people in your same niche make that happen. Perhaps type your service into google or something and see how you find them.

Besides that, I have a few thoughts:
-Ads
-Some kind of mouth to mouth?
-Simply writing to hundreds of people saying that you exist (email)
-Cold calling?
-Flyers? Although I have no clue where the hell you'd put those haha

In general, your description of your work is either quite vague or just doesn't make sense, as I can hardly imagine what you really mean by that.
Good luck though!

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
It sounds like you're dealing with a service that relies on business websites. Here it seems they need to 1) feel pain in not being able to sell from their current and 2) need to have the cash on hand or the willingness to work with you.

It sounds like you've found some sites already, are you compiling lists? Once you've done that, what is your process for reaching out to them? I've done cold calling off of lists I've made but 'finding' someone who you think feels the pain and communicating to them so they feel it and take action and have a convo/sale with you are two very different things

Just start or keep up on your outreach and let us know how it goes, best of luck.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
It took me eleven months to get my first customer.

What I did was go out and pitch to every person within 3 feet.

I even called strangers in the phone book. But with the internet and websites like LinkedIn and Alignable, it is easier now.

You can find events and attend them.

See how you can help another person achieve their goals. How can you show them an easier way to accomplish what they hope to achieve?

By doing that, you build trust! That is how I have received referrals and how I continue to gain more customers.

alroylewis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 12, 2023

How about you tell us what you have done to get the first customer?

Start there.
Hi Timmy,

Thank you for replying, so far I have used social media channels - Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin to place adverts which have conversions to my website but I think no one is signing up perhaps because there is no online businesses(websites) for sale listed.

stats from my FB advertising are:

For every £10
Reach: 93,000
Link clicks: 850

I have also tried cold emailing but no responses have come through.

Thank you

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
How is your service any different from?

If you don't have a strong USP or some kind of niche in the market, you will probably struggle.

alroylewis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 12, 2023
I'd say go take a look at how people in your same niche make that happen. Perhaps type your service into google or something and see how you find them.

Besides that, I have a few thoughts:
-Ads
-Some kind of mouth to mouth?
-Simply writing to hundreds of people saying that you exist (email)
-Cold calling?
-Flyers? Although I have no clue where the hell you'd put those haha

In general, your description of your work is either quite vague or just doesn't make sense, as I can hardly imagine what you really mean by that.
Good luck though!
Ah sorry I will be more clear: the work involves selling people’s websites for them usually because they want to retire or just have a payout for other ventures. My website is simply a marketplace that connects sellers to buyers.

Competition use google it seems but they already have proof of transactions on their websites so I feel like without the proof people are un willing to try my offer despite my stacked benefits.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Ah sorry I will be more clear: the work involves selling people’s websites for them usually because they want to retire or just have a payout for other ventures. My website is simply a marketplace that connects sellers to buyers.

Competition use google it seems but they already have proof of transactions on their websites so I feel like without the proof people are un willing to try my offer despite my stacked benefits.
I don't know but I see myself 6 months ago in you. (ah, my first startup)

Are you helping people? Or just money-chasing?
"Business becomes risky when entrepreneurs start companies based on flawed, selfish reasons.
Get in business for the right reason - to fill the void in the marketplace, or to do something better than anyone else"
-MJ DeMarco, The Millionaire Fastlane

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Use your own system to create immense value for yourself as a customer.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Timmy,

Thank you for replying, so far I have used social media channels - Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin to place adverts which have conversions to my website but I think no one is signing up perhaps because there is no online businesses(websites) for sale listed.

stats from my FB advertising are:

For every £10
Reach: 93,000
Link clicks: 850

I have also tried cold emailing but no responses have come through.

Thank you

You are in a chicken and the egg scenario.

No reason to sign up if there is no business to buy, and there is no reason to sell a business with no visitors coming organically to your website.

You need to find ways to get website visitors without paying for it all the time, or this could be very costly.

Honestly, this doesn't sound like something I would attempt business wise, and I don't have much other advice.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Thats the problem there is no marketplace right now as you have no visitors coming to your site.
You don't have a marketplace.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.