The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis

A

Anon3587x

Can anyone give a little review what he talks about in the second book?

Couldn't find any through google searches.

exon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 29, 2009
Croatia
There are 88 points to succes -- Official page: http://www.88thenarrowroad.co.uk/the-88

This is condensed version of HTGR book, collection of short chapters who covers a range of practical advice - most of which can any fastlaner agree with. His views on the rights and wrongs in this 88 points.

There is almost nothing new in compare with HTGR. This 88 points are shortcuts for each field and "how to do it". I think it is very useful because each point is better explained than in HTGR, especially for practical application.

Last week I used the 52nd point of the negotiations and I must say that it works like magic. Before I would never have done such a thing that he suggest.

The purpose of this book is that you can have it with yourself when you find yourself in certain situations and it is easy to find the answer to the question "How to..."

As well as in How To Get Rich, here you will not find advices on how to be a good manager, how to be a better person... just How To Get Money and what price do you have to pay for big money.

What he talks about is this:

1. On Motive
2. On Excuses
3. On Who Is Likely To Succeed
4. On The Statistical Odds
5. On The Real Odds
6. On Getting Started
7. On Choosing The Right Mountain
8. On Cutting Loose
9. On Pole Positions
10. On Humiliation
11. On Common Impediments
12. On The Tiger Chained To Your Ankle
13. On Frugality
14. On Common Start-Up Errors I: Mistaking Desire For Compulsion
15. On Common Start-Up Errors II: Failure To Monitor Cashflow
16. On Common Start-Up Errors III: Excessive Overhead
17. On Common Start-Up Errors IV: Reinforcing Failure
18. On Common Start-Up Errors V: Skimping On Talent
19. On Boldness
20. On Being In The Right Place At The Right Time
21. On Riches and Happiness
22. On Working For Others
23. On Raising Capital I: Sources Of Capital
24: On Raising Capital II: Earning It
25. On Raising Capital III: Avoidance Of Faustian Pacts Cows
26. On Raising Capital IV: Sharks
27. On Raising Capital V: The Nature Of Dolphins
28. On Raising Capital VI: Playing With Dolphins Arrangements
29. On Raising Capital VII: Banks
30. On Raising Capital VIII: Swimming With The Fishes
31. On Raising Capital IX: 51% Investors
32. On Creating The Right Environment
33. On Start-Up Hires
34. On Hiring Generally
35. On Management
36. On Eternal Lieutenants
37. On The Start-Up and The Long Wobble
38. On The Settle-Down and Continuous Revolution
39. On Team Spirit
40. On Glory Hounds and Toads
41. On Decision By Consensus
42. On Partnerships and Minority Investors
43. On The Mexican Shootout
44. On Harnessing The Fear Of Failure
45. On The Fallacy Of The Great Idea
46. On Dress Codes
47. On Promoting From Within
48. On The Paradox Of Ownership
49. On Ownership
50. On Customers
51. On Suppliers
52. On Negotiating
53. On Prioritising
54. On Luck
55. On Shortcuts
56. On Courtesy
57. On Debt
58. On Intellectual Property
59. On Emulating
60. On Delegating
61. On Trusting Your Instincts
62. On Persistence
63. On Tenacity
64. On Self-Belief
65. On Leading
66. On Protecting Your Piece Of The Pie
67. On Going Public
68. On The Trojan Trap
69. On Sacred Cows
70. On The Need To Diversify
71. On Excellence
72. On Bonus Arrangements
73. On Rivals
74. On Misfortune
75. On Taking Stock
76. On Must-Do Deals
77. On The Right Time To Sell A Business
78. On Consequences
79. On Status
80. On Qualified Accountants
81. On Milking The Cow
82. On Dragon Cages
83. On Buying Private Yachts, Aeroplanes, Etcetera
84. On Cheating The Taxman
85. On Being Right… Or Wrong
86. On The Unfairness Of It All
87. On Failure
88. On Success

MCD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2011
During the parts about his low points in life does he mention the man he killed? Good write up by the way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
During the parts about his low points in life does he mention the man he killed? Good write up by the way.

What are you talking about? I didn't see anything about him killing someone on his wikipedia page; usually that sort of detail wouldn't get left out. He was imprisoned when he was young, for publishing a magazine.

SuccessBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 25, 2011
Let me get this straight...so are we considering Robert Kiyosaki to be a slowlaner? I am confused as to how this book differs form Kiyosaki's teachings...Or is it the whole strategy of starting with nothing rather than having excessive disposable income? I am a fond believer in Kioyoaski's teachings about buying assets instead of liabilities. I even have played the cashflow 101 and 202 games and think they're great. I am considering now buying my first piece of real estate as an investment. Could you please elaborate on how this book is completely different? I have heard of Felix Dennis in Tom Butler Bowdon. I will also probably pick up this book. Right now I am letting The Millionaire Fastlane soak in before I confuse myself with more teachings.

Thanks for the post :)

SuccessBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks EastWind, It seems that you've already solved my question before I posted!

So if you play the cashflow 101 and 202 games by RK he DOES talk about business. He says that real estate is easier to get into and it took him years (10 I think) to build the emotional strengths to be a good business leader. It is obvious that his Rich Dad brand is his business, but he doesn't refer to it specifically. I have even been seeing more advertisements for his lectures in my hotmail sidebar, and I've heard they have gone into the con artist realm.

So now, my predicament is: buy a house and use it as an investment, or take the money and make a down payment into a business that would make more money quicker or fail. I think either way both would be a good experience: because if I'm a landlord I can gain experience managing people and expecting difficulties.

Robert Kiyosaki also has said in his cashflow 202 e-game that nine out of ten businesses fail, so to combat that figure he started ten businesses and just went with the best one. Sounds like a pretty good strategy to me...!

I have to point out one last thing...It seems that the more popular someone gets/the more people follow them, the more the technique does not work -- because everyone wants the easy way out! The best example I can think of are The Automatic Millionaire and The Four Hour Workweek. The Automatic Millionaire I have renamed, in sharpie (on the cover), "The Retired Millionaire." Also, who would only want one million at retirement? Lately I've been hearing that you want 10x your annual salary. So for someone making $50K/year = $500K @ retirement. These books are hogwash and they are everywhere in stores, so I feel that, unfortunately, the most successful books are the ones that are the "feel good" books because people will always be afraid of risk and want a way out.

MCD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2011
What are you talking about? I didn't see anything about him killing someone on his wikipedia page; usually that sort of detail wouldn't get left out. He was imprisoned when he was young, for publishing a magazine.
Felix Dennis: ‘I Killed a Man’ -- Daily Intel
You can google it too. Don't know why they don't have it on the wikipedia page, maybe someone should add it. Theres no proof that he really killed a man just that he admitted to it.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I love both of his books and philosophies on business. I recommend this book to every entrepreneur I encounter, despite the campy title. His ideas on ownerships, equity and cash are terrific.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
the only problem with Kiyosakis work is that, despite having seen it on nearly everyones kitchen table, I have yet to know anyone who has made any money from it, or known millionaires who did either.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
I have finished reading How to Get Rich a few days ago

very, very good book. in my top 5 for sure.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Epic book, reading now. Really drives home the meaning of sacrifice.

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
I love his "odds" (taken from 88 The narrow road a short form of his "How to get rich")

2017-02-23_0221.png

2017-02-23_0225.png

(According to Dennis)
Wealth Scale (measured by Total Assets):
Millions of Dollars Category
2 – 4 The comfortably poor
4 – 10 The comfortably off
10 – 30 The comfortably wealthy
30 – 80 The lesser rich
80 – 150 The comfortably rich
150 – 200 The rich
200 – 400 The seriously rich
400 – 800 The truly rich
800 – 1,998 The filthy rich
Over 1,998 The super rich

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
I've hear some good things about this book. It's going to be my next book to read.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Let me get this straight...so are we considering Robert Kiyosaki to be a slowlaner? I am confused as to how this book differs form Kiyosaki's teachings...Or is it the whole strategy of starting with nothing rather than having excessive disposable income? I am a fond believer in Kioyoaski's teachings about buying assets instead of liabilities. I even have played the cashflow 101 and 202 games and think they're great. I am considering now buying my first piece of real estate as an investment. Could you please elaborate on how this book is completely different? I have heard of Felix Dennis in Tom Butler Bowdon. I will also probably pick up this book. Right now I am letting The Millionaire Fastlane soak in before I confuse myself with more teachings.

Thanks for the post :)
Robert Kiyosaki is not a Slowlaner. His Rich Dad company is a Fastlane brand. Read TMF ! MJ talked about him! Although the Rich Dad company has thumbs in board games, app games and a myriad of courses and books, I actually consider him freaking kindergarten in wealth education. Wealth is not just buying more assets and not buying liabilities. Wealth is not just buying four houses and selling them to buy one big red hotel. Those little tips are good, but they are just parts of a grander picture.

Once and for all, before you buy another Kiyosaki book, I'll tell you why he's freaking good:
5FqxXkzMTOmU3VFNAVJx_Golden_Circle_(1)%202.png

Most money gurus don't sell as well as Kiyosaki because they peddle their B.S like:
'Here are some tips to get you earning $5000 a month on autopilot.'
'Join my course to do some no-money downs. Free seating-first come, first serve!'
'Want to beat the Buffett? Ripoff Stock Experts will teach you the secrets to beat the Buffet!'

They start from the WHAT, selling XXX money-making miracle product/blueprint.

But ya know what, no one gives a F*ck.
No one!
You know what I do when I see a money-making offer on my FB?
I say 'Nah' and GTFO.
Same goes for any dogshit FB ad which peddles gas, bread, clothes, etc which just tells me they are selling this and that at X or Y discount. I don't give a damn about your discounts. I don't give a damn about your products. Why should I put money into your useless wallet.

Instead of What --->How--->Why
How about Why--->How--->Why

How did Kiyosaki did it?
His WHY
Elevating the Financial Well-being of All Humanity

It's RDPD's vision statement. Check it out here if you think I'm shamming.
Redirect Notice
dngeHBzu7ZY78IZw&sig2=B3AEFo9kQKKazcEFo7MDXA

Now, the vision is very simplified, but it reveals more questions and realities:
1. What problems do you think of when the term 'financial well-being' comes about? Bankruptcies? Living paycheck to paycheck? Having only 10 cents in your savings? Under heavy student debt?

2. What fears come into your mind? If nothing drives you to do things via emotion, you are a Martian. Emotions matter! What fears come along when you think of 'financial well-being'?

Fear of losing your house, your job and money.

Fear of going homeless.

Fear of being an outcast by being poor as a pauper.

Fear of fighting for jobs in a crowded battlefield where some smarter than you is willing to work for less than you.

3. Financial independence? How about financial failure? You think back into the past of being scammed by crap money gurus, losing time and energy in meaningless businesses, getting fired from so-called safe jobs. It haunts you like a ghost, doesn't it?:devil::devil::devil:

Now, observe Kiyosaki's HOW
I might not be accurate, but I'll do my best in reproducing the snippets:

“The single most powerful asset we all have is our mind. If it is trained well, it can create enormous wealth in what seems to be an instant.”

“why not seek to learn more than to earn?”

“When you know you are ignorant in a subject, start educating yourself.”

“An asset is something that puts money in my pocket. A liability is something that takes money out of my pocket. This is really all you need to know.”

Since Kiyosaki deals in financial education (kindergarten finance education, seriously, but who am I to judge. People hate and like coffee....which means some people are REALLY IGNORANT on money matters), he would tell us how he, the knight in shining armour will slay the dragon, and save the lass in distress.

DRAGON: Financial failure
SWORD: Financial education

Then we come to the WHAT
'Do you want to buy my books and courses? RDPD's the number one bestseller on NYT.'

And you know what?
upload_2017-2-23_23-23-38.jpeg

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
the only problem with Kiyosakis work is that, despite having seen it on nearly everyones kitchen table, I have yet to know anyone who has made any money from it, or known millionaires who did either.
It's easier to read a book than to save my freaking a$$ from mediocrity, I guess. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
But I think some bloggers or Youtubers who covered Kiyosaki's books and promoted his stuff made a little money off it. But the fellow makes the bigger money than them.

But if you don't know anyone who has made money of it, that's good. Just let them muck around in entrepreneural masturbation while you work quietly behind the scenes, doing the hard work that matters.

Now do you know why Jesus said 'the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few' even though there are seven billion souls on this planet?!

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I've hear some good things about this book. It's going to be my next book to read.
I seem to be a minority in my opinion here, but I don't feel like I got anything worth value out of that book that wasn't common sense.

I sold that book on eBay immediately after completing it.

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
I don't feel like I got anything worth value out of that book that wasn't common sense.

I'd say the part about having a "master" corporation and owning it 100% opened my eyes. No one can throw you out of the company you own 100% no one can argue or hold out if you want to sell it later either. (start other companies later with buddies and sell stock...but never give away even one percent of your master co.)

How many men could have benefited from that piece of advice?, Jobs and apple, Selfridge of Selfridges, the "I guarantee it" guy. hey here is a list http://guyspeed.com/10-incredibly-successful-founders-fired-by-their-own-companies/

Now old Dennis their ADMITTED to burning £100 million on hookers and blow.....how quick would he have been bounced and landed in the poorhouse? (Probably would have died their instead of finding his passion for writing poetry whilst in the hospital for legionnaires)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The book is epic, it stirs up raw emotions and makes u not give a shit if you look like a retard in front of the world.

The dude talks about groveling and embarrassment, and the fear of failure, and the comforts that lull us quit our endeavors.

The Millionaire Fastlane made me understand how things work a lot better and to be patient in life, and the beatiful definition of happiness, health family freedom.
It's a more hopeful book in my opinion.

Felix's book is just a damn hurricane. The guy makes a frickin list of character attributes that will guarantee your failure, which really made me look inwards for confirmation that im good lol. The guy doesn't pull any punches in the book.
And the poetic flair is quite something.
I'm only half way done, reading on the train on way to work on way home.

maybe MJ's unscripted book will more in the vain of felix's book. i'll be purcahsing that book day 1

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.