The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get feedback on your business ideas while preventing it being stolen?

kalika

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2023
I'm rather new to being an enterpreneur and typically when I have ideas (a business, app or a project idea), it helps immensely to discuss with someone else.
The question and the problem that I'm struggling is how to choose with whom to share your ideas to get feedback, while also preventing it from being stolen. Because, at the moment, I don't have any potential co-founders, and if a collegue hears my idea, they are as capable as I am to implement that idea.

Moreover (this is a second question), over the months, I have met with several enterpreneours who made and sold several companies, and they all told that I can go to them if I need guidance. Given that they have way more experience and resources in doing a startup then I have, does it really make sense to share my ideas with them?

PS: this is my very first post in this forum, so please let me know if anything wrong with the post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm rather new to being an enterpreneur and typically when I have ideas (a business, app or a project idea), it helps immensely to discuss with someone else.
The question and the problem that I'm struggling is how to choose with whom to share your ideas to get feedback, while also preventing it from being stolen. Because, at the moment, I don't have any potential co-founders, and if a collegue hears my idea, they are as capable as I am to implement that idea.

Moreover (this is a second question), over the months, I have met with several enterpreneours who made and sold several companies, and they all told that I can go to them if I need guidance. Given that they have way more experience and resources in doing a startup then I have, does it really make sense to share my ideas with them?

PS: this is my very first post in this forum, so please let me know if anything wrong with the post.
Welcome and well done on your first post.

1) You use the word "idea" a few times. That word's a red flag for me.

The market won't pay us for ideas, only for adding value to them somehow. And your market is the people who'll spend money for the value you provide. It's all based on people (even when you think you're making money shuffling electrons around).

Get out there and talk to people, help people, and get feedback from people.

2) Oh, and this line might help you:

"Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don't have."

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
If you do this on your own and never tell anyone anything, what is your % chance of success? Be honest

And if you tell a bunch of people and get them excited and make connections and partner, do you think your chance of success would go UP?

And if your idea is stolen and executed before you can get to it, would you never have another idea ever? What is the actual chance you have an idea that NO one else has ever thought of?

You are using this an an excuse to not do anything. GO DO STUFF!

I would LOVE for people to steal my ideas and turn them into $10M businesses!! That means I have good ideas and I just do the next one!!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
People only steal ideas that are making money. Postpone your fear of copycats, because they'll only come out of the woodwork once you're actually getting somewhere.

You're better off putting your money where your mouth is, that is, going to lots of strangers and asking if they'd buy it. Asking your friends and family if it's a good idea is only worth doing if (1) you need money from them or (2) they're legitimately in your market. Put something together, show it to a few thousand people, and see how many you sell. If that number is zero, ask them why, make a change, and try again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
preventing it from being stolen
This is guaranteed to happen, there are a lot of copycats and people steal business ideas all the time. So just relax, your idea will be stolen anyway :)

Think about branding instead. Branding makes the difference. So build your brand and your loyal following.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.