The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to fix poor attention to detail and focus?

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
Did you work with music ?
Sound / music affect our focus.
Before, I worked every day with music, from morning to the end of the day.
Now, I work in total silent and I'm more focus on my work.
I put my phone don't near me, and I don't visit my social network before I've finish all my tasks.
It's some little tips, but they can help you a little.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Just my points to the ADHD.
You can have ADHD and still be somewhat sucessfull. I am studying in my master at a good unversity, yet I recently got evaluted again and currently trying medication. Why? Because it sucks. They way I motivate myself is so bad for my physical aswell as my mental health. I always pushed myself with the idea that if I failed an exam I will lose everything and end up on the street. Just, doing this every exam everyday is not a healthy way.

Regardless on what soultion you are trying: Medication, Methods or "Natural Medication" (Sport, Food, etc.) I would atleast try something. I have tried everything and have to say that medication, probably not suprising, has the greatest effect so far. But its not only that, the medication also allows me to work on the other to parts. I improved my eating a lot and started exercising regularly again. But in the end it depends how bad it is for you.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Maybe you're just not cut out for it.

Instead of trying hard to become average/mediocre at something others are experts in naturally, just team up with/hire the latter.

EDIT: I just went back to re-read your post. Didn't realize this was for a job since I remember you were doing ecom. Change jobs, lol?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Maybe you're just not cut out for it.

Instead of trying hard to become average/mediocre at something others are experts in naturally, just team up with/hire the latter.

EDIT: I just went back to re-read your post. Didn't realize this was for a job since I remember you were doing ecom. Change jobs, lol?
I was doing eCom on the side but it's part of my job to.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Yup. In practical terms, if you can train to keep your attention on something as uninteresting as breathing then you'll have no problem with other phenomena.
Yup. In practical terms, if you're too short, just focus on being taller and soon you'll be 6'4" like me ..... :smuggy:

Danny, glad that works for you. That doesn't mean it works for everybody. I've DONE meditation. I had a meditation teacher / healer compliment me on my ability to clear my mind of distractions. Didn't help my executive-function challenges, at all. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long / consistently enough, but I don't think it's guaranteed to work for everyone.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
@JAJT

Can you describe your ADHD? I'm drawn to this thread because I seem to have serious focal issues. As others have pointed out, on the surface level I feel and look "unmotivated." I just don't seem to have the energy to do anything productive. Everything I do feels sluggish. Anytime I try to start something productive I seem to just relent to time wasters or slightly productive distractions. I joined the Premium FL Forum and have yet to do anything with it! But is it just lack of motivation, or maybe depression? Some descriptions of adult ADHD have resonated with me, but I'm unsure. I'll ask my therapist for sure, but just curious what other descriptions of ADHD are like.
Is is not easy to see the difference between someone lazy and ADHD. Thats the problem why ADHD are seen as simply lazy.

First of all. Do you try to do something? But always stop half way in it or shortly after beginning it? If you are simply lazy you wouldn't even start it. I saw it when programming. I was programming for a person project. The first few days it was easy. It was novel. But soon it got harder and harder. The sessions shorter and shorter. I wanted to program but I was harder and harder to do so.

Another major difference I know see after medication is in reading. I am able to read whole pages and articles without skimming over it. I also never folded my clothes before I took it. I simply put the bag besides the wardrobe and took out what I needed. Since the medication I simply put it in the wardrobe.

TLDR: Someone who is lazy doesn't event start something he doesn't need to do. And if he needs to do something he tries to cut as many corners even if the result will suffer.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey all, so this is something I think I've always naturally struggled with but in the last couple of years it has gotten quite worse. I think part of the problem is that I can accidently rush through work without realizing and my focus is pretty bad (this is probably because the tasks I work on are boring, but I feel I should be able to get through this problem). I've had time's in the past where I'd review this document that I need to send out, 5-8 times before sending it out and then only realized after I sent it that there were still mistakes. Sometimes I feel that maybe I'm in the wrong career and is why I'm struggling a lot.

I've been working on improving it but it's still pretty bad, and not sure if it will improve. I think I'm burnt out as well which isn't helping matters lol.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and how they overcame it?
Im lucky to blessed with the opposite once I am focused I cannot hear people talking to me. That leads to separate minor issues that people complained that I wasn't replying to them when they tried to talked to me.

But having the ability to focus is not the same as being industrious. It does make things easier if you can accomplish a lot in 30 min or one hour. But you aren't going far if you are only committing little time.

Another side effect that people who can focus well aren't really good multitaskers.

Skull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 25, 2022
Im lucky to blessed with the opposite once I am focused I cannot hear people talking to me. That leads to separate minor issues that people complained that I wasn't replying to them when they tried to talked to me.

But having the ability to focus is not the same as being industrious. It does make things easier if you can accomplish a lot in 30 min or one hour. But you aren't going far if you are only committing little time.

Another side effect that people who can focus well aren't really good multitaskers.
Try some ADHD relief music. It works for me :) have a nice day.

TheJon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 7, 2022
Philadelphia PA - USA
I'd suggest this book: Peak Mind by Amisha P. Jha. You can get a sampler on the JRE podcast if you care to.

Most people struggle with this to some degree. The book has some helpful tools to train your mind to stay in the moment instead of wandering around like a mind likes to

Zardiw

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Nov 29, 2021
Palm Springs, Peoples DemoKratiK RepubliK of Kalif
I am also not detail-oriented, so whenever I make a new mistake I catalog it and create a protocol for double-checking my work's quality in the future.

For example - I once sent out an email campaign without adding links to it... so I wrote it down in my "mistake-catalog", and now I know I am prone to making a mistake like that, so I know what to look out for. I also know I overlook margins and fonts when creating landing pages, so I double-check that as well.

This is not foolproof as new mistakes always happen, but at least you learn from the old ones.
I send out newsletters on occasion.......

I have a flag that sends them only to me........so I read them when I get them.....not on the draft itself.

Have found I go through SEVERAL iterations of this before I unset the flag and make them public.

Z

Zardiw

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Nov 29, 2021
Palm Springs, Peoples DemoKratiK RepubliK of Kalif
I would recommend you start meditating. You can start with as little as 1 minute of focused concentration on your breathing, and specifically the air flow on the tip of your nostrils. You will notice how difficult it is to stay there, so aim to notice that you are distracted and then return to your breathing. Do this again tomorrow. And the day after. Make it a habit. Then make it 2 minutes, then 3 and so on. It will help you. It has helped me a lot and changed my life. I can meditate now for up to 20mins without a single thought. That's FOCUS and you will find it easier to stay focused on everything you do in life as you become more and more mindful...

One way to meditate is to just sit there and do Nothing.

That's also a way to get going on something you need to do.

We are Meant to Do.........but often get distracted with other crap........avoid that.

For instance I have a YouTube addiction........which kills my productivity....

It seems we all have things we are addicted to.......

Z

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.