The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Fix Incredibly F**ked Up Sleep Pattern?

A

Anon3x156

I sleep at around 5-7AM, and wake up at around 3-4PM.

How can I fix my sleep pattern and then stick to it?

Living like this is so weird.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon45x4yB

You could go gradually: between 15 and 30 minutes of shift each day, it could be easier.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Hey Bluff, hope you're enjoying the forum.
Don't forget we have a handy search function and cover a lot of ground but some things come up repeatedly.

Here's the last large thread we had on this and my 2 cents about unf$^%ing your sleep.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Force yourself to wake up earlier one day, go through a day of lethargy, and you will feel sleepy by 11-12.

Go through a brutal day of four hours sleep from 5-9. Take some coffee. Refuse to take nap.

Robin 133

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 16, 2022
Force yourself to wake up earlier one day, go through a day of lethargy, and you will feel sleepy by 11-12.

Go through a brutal day of four hours sleep from 5-9. Take some coffee. Refuse to take nap.
This is what I had planned to do from tomorrow. Nothing crazy, 7am. But from past experience it's the only way. Then set a timer to get into bed at 10 and read, fiction, as if I read non fiction I start planning world domination just before I turn the lights off.

In @bluffcatcher s situation you may have to miss a sleep entirely.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 10, 2018
Take magnesium in the evening (avoid magnesium oxide as it is less absorbable). It helps cool down

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Get direct sunlight for 5 minutes in the morning in the first hour of waking up. This will set your internal clock and you will naturally start waking up earlier every day.

Avoid blue light at night.

Fixing your circadian rhythm usually takes 2 weeks and it's going to be a gradual process.

techvx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jan 29, 2023
Everyone seems to have some solid advice ready, but I don't see anyone trying to pinpoint the origin of your problem. Must be my sales background and the "intelligence gathering" sense tingling. In any case, how did it happen?

What made you get into the pattern of going to bed at 5-7 AM and waking up in the afternoon in the first place? Trying to be "busy" and get "more" done? Overstretching yourself during the day and pushing your mind to the point of no return at night, when it just wants to "relax" and switch to a bunch of attention-sucking channels of empty, pointless entertainment? Stressing out? Overthinking? Something else?

If you do not take care of the underlying issue: the thought/emotion/behavior pattern that keeps you in the current loop, any immediate solution will only be temporary, at best.

Get to the bottom of the "why" you're doing what you are doing with your sleep, as well as the "how" - the exact ways by the use of which your mind ends up tricking itself to stay late despite your best conscious intentions.

The solution to the problem becomes obvious once the problem itself is defined well enough.

Speaking of solutions, can't help but notice you've only liked and replied to a response about magnesium pills. All of the above only counts if it's a legit issue for you, and you're willing to drill down all the way - not if you are just looking for a quick pill that will make the problem go away without you doing much.

Because most likely, that pill ain't getting the job done long-term. If that's the only option you're considering, maybe it's not as big of an issue as to warrant changing anything at all?

(didn't mean to "call you out" or accuse you of being a lazy bum - it's just something that seemed peculiar and that could, potentially, signal about your genuine amount of concern and motivation when it comes to your sleep)

A

Anon3x156

Everyone seems to have some solid advice ready, but I don't see anyone trying to pinpoint the origin of your problem. Must be my sales background and the "intelligence gathering" sense tingling. In any case, how did it happen?

What made you get into the pattern of going to bed at 5-7 AM and waking up in the afternoon in the first place? Trying to be "busy" and get "more" done? Overstretching yourself during the day and pushing your mind to the point of no return at night, when it just wants to "relax" and switch to a bunch of attention-sucking channels of empty, pointless entertainment? Stressing out? Overthinking? Something else?

If you do not take care of the underlying issue: the thought/emotion/behavior pattern that keeps you in the current loop, any immediate solution will only be temporary, at best.

Get to the bottom of the "why" you're doing what you are doing with your sleep, as well as the "how" - the exact ways by the use of which your mind ends up tricking itself to stay late despite your best conscious intentions.

The solution to the problem becomes obvious once the problem itself is defined well enough.

Speaking of solutions, can't help but notice you've only liked and replied to a response about magnesium pills. All of the above only counts if it's a legit issue for you, and you're willing to drill down all the way - not if you are just looking for a quick pill that will make the problem go away without you doing much.

Because most likely, that pill ain't getting the job done long-term. If that's the only option you're considering, maybe it's not as big of an issue as to warrant changing anything at all?

(didn't mean to "call you out" or accuse you of being a lazy bum - it's just something that seemed peculiar and that could, potentially, signal about your genuine amount of concern and motivation when it comes to your sleep)
this guy understands

I'm studying for an exam + doing youtube.

I think I'm not getting enough things done during the day, that's probably why.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Hello @bluffcatcher,

I have a simple hack that worked for me

I’ve had periods in my life where my sleep schedules were really out of sync like yours, and I can’t get back to it just getting up early, even by trying long periods.

The trick is to simply set your alarm to, let's say 7:00 AM EVERYDAY of the week (saturday/sunday included), but do not specially wake up this early. Your alarm ring and you are awake, but you get back to sleep directly to whatever you need.

This way your body will gradually adapt to being waked up at 7:00 AM but you will not be as mush tired as if you waked up totally. In a short period of time your body will start re-arrange his sleep cycles and soon you'll wake up automatically 5min before the ring, as I do now !

It is basically creating a single-simple habit for your body.

It has really worked smooth for me, but remember at the beginning you need to set the alarm every f*** day. At the end you'll even be able to enjoy long sleep on end-week and be ready on monday ;)

A

Anon3x156

Hello @bluffcatcher,

I have a simple hack that worked for me

I’ve had periods in my life where my sleep schedules were really out of sync like yours, and I can’t get back to it just getting up early, even by trying long periods.

The trick is to simply set your alarm to, let's say 7:00 AM EVERYDAY of the week (saturday/sunday included), but do not specially wake up this early. Your alarm ring and you are awake, but you get back to sleep directly to whatever you need.

This way your body will gradually adapt to being waked up at 7:00 AM but you will not be as mush tired as if you waked up totally. In a short period of time your body will start re-arrange his sleep cycles and soon you'll wake up automatically 5min before the ring, as I do now !

It is basically creating a single-simple habit for your body.

It has really worked smooth for me, but remember at the beginning you need to set the alarm every f*** day. At the end you'll even be able to enjoy long sleep on end-week and be ready on monday ;)
interesting, thanks for sharing

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Get direct sunlight for 5 minutes in the morning in the first hour of waking up. This will set your internal clock and you will naturally start waking up earlier every day.

Avoid blue light at night.

Fixing your circadian rhythm usually takes 2 weeks and it's going to be a gradual process.

Ho and for this, you can use a light manager program for your computer (like F.lux) who is emulating the day sunlight by gradually removing blue over the day. This way your circadian cycles are more respected.

Stopping all screens 1h00 befiore sleep is also a good idea. Read a book instead.

In addition, removing blue from your screen are really good for your eyes, I personally use it in a fixed light temperature (3500k instead of 6500) and can not do without it now. Try it you'll be astonished.

And don't forget do deactivate it if you do design or it will f*** your colors ^^

Patryk.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 21, 2022
Poland
Ok, Tyler. I know you were going full Project Mayhem recently and that f up your sleep pattern. I am a self made doctor and I am here too help you.

Instead of forcing yourself to wake up earlier try changing timezones in your phone - the results are immediately and permanent.

Don't waste time on long and tendinous changes. You are only seven clicks away from reaching your goal.

Grab a phone now and enjoy your new life.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
If I were you I would stay awake 24+ hours and go to sleep at 19hs super tired and sleep 12 hours and wake up at 7 am the other day. Also taking magnesium and cbd oil helps better regulate sleep. Also having a big nutrient dense dinner.

Also don't do weed or alcohol.

A

Anon3x156

If I were you I would stay awake 24+ hours and go to sleep at 19hs super tired and sleep 12 hours and wake up at 7 am the other day. Also taking magnesium and cbd oil helps better regulate sleep. Also having a big nutrient dense dinner.

Also don't do weed or alcohol.
thanks for the answer, are you from Argentina btw?

Bojko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 15, 2016
I always had the ability to reset my sleep pattern by skipping sleep for one day, and go to bed at the time, that I was planning to go to bed in the future. The day without sleep will suck, but after that my sleep cycle was always fixed.

A

Anon3x156

I always had the ability to reset my sleep pattern by skipping sleep for one day, and go to bed at the time, that I was planning to go to bed in the future. The day without sleep will suck, but after that my sleep cycle was always fixed.
I'm aware of this solution but I hate it bruh I feel so dead when I skip a sleep

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Stop using all electronics for 2 weeks.
Go outside from sunrise to sunset.
Problem solved.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO

Is caffeine affecting your sleep cycle at all? If so, consider cutting back on it

A

Anon3x156

Is caffeine affecting your sleep cycle at all? If so, consider cutting back on it
I drink a cup of coffee most days, as I'm studying for an exam right now.

It's like a big university exam that happens once every year.
The next one is in 4 months.

But I haven't had any coffee for the last 2 days.
And I slept at 4 yesterday!

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
I'd strongly recommend looking into Andrew Huberman. But I'd start by taking melatonin closer to when you want to fall asleep, getting 2-15 minutes of natural light immediately around 6-7 am, and if all else fails explore some sleep aids to temporarily help. I've used l-tryptophan with no severe long term results and I've used lunesta for short term (travel).

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Well the obvious answer is that you are waking up at 3pm so you just aren't sleepy until 3am. Granted that is still only a 12 hour day. So you are getting way too much sleep also.

I went through this cycle in college. I'd have to set an alarm to wake up at 5:30pm just to make it to the cafeteria for dinner. I'm embarrassed to say that I have memories of missing dinner time because I'd wake up at 8pm! My problem was that college dorms at night were pretty fun and I would stay up until 5-6am easily. I remember when we would order pizza every night to watch 1am Sportscenter. It was a nightly ritual. BTW, my grades that semester were CCCD, lol.

So I'm guessing you have alot of things to do at night. Friends are always awake and you skip all your classes and try to study at night. I think the easiest way to get back to normal is to try to wake up a little earlier each day. Like 1pm, then 12pm then 11am. But you have to stop hanging out with night owls. They are bad influences! Even to this day, I sleep at 1am-2am. I've always been a night owl.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.