The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to find local millionaires willing to mentor you for free?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
No, this is not a step by step process on how to do it. This is a question that I have always had and never could find the answer to.

I’ve spent God knows how much on “coaching” but I came to the realization that coaches may be great at showing you how to become a coach but they can’t take you where they have not been able to go themselves. Given that I have the goal to become wealthy and in the spirit of this forum I think millionaires will make for some great coaches (pending other factors such as personality types and ability to teach etc.)

Which brings up back to the original question. If you were to search for and approach local millionaires, how will that look like? I’m emphasizing the “local” part due to the importance of the face to face interaction, this might not be necessary though surely helpful.

I'm also interested in knowing what do millionaires get from mentoring other people, I get that it's helping others, but what is specifically about that that moves them? Is the monetary compensation still needed? I'm asking because I'd like to know what can I give in return and make it win-win.

General ideas and suggestions are ok but I really would like to hear from people who have been successful at achieving this (or at least tried) so that we can all benefit from your experiences.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
This is a question that I have always had and never could find the answer to.

Oyyy...Are you even trying?

Please leave this thread and use the forum search feature immediately. Then come back to this thread and tell us what your plan is.

BTW - You need a complete mindset shift if you think someone is going to mentor you for free. Provide value to others (this is your payment to them - not always money) and expect nothing in return.
Go read IceCreamKids zen******* thread. All of it.

And maybe don't read replies in this thread until you did the above. It might get brutal.

Last edited:

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Oyyy...Are you even trying?

Please leave this thread and use the forum search feature immediately. Then come back to this thread and tell us what your plan is.

And maybe don't read replies in this thread until you did the above. It might get brutal.

Hi brob742,

Did you even read the rest of my question or did you just jump on the first sentence?

First of all when I say I searched for the answer I did not limit myself to this forum (if I limited my body of knowledge to one forum I would probably feel sad for myself). I'm talking in general such as peer groups and online.

Second, when I search for "find local millionaires" I get 3 topics (including mine!). So maybe if you wanted to be a little more helpful (which I don't think you are given your elitist reply) you would have suggested a couple of threads or members that I can use for starters. Searching for the word "millionaire" in the "millionaire fastlane " forum is not necessarily the most practical way of doing it.

03.27.2014-10.41.png

So my plan is to wait for some more useful and practical replies.

Last edited:

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
This question, in various forms, comes up regularly on the forum. Just search "a mentor," "mentor me," etc in the forum search box.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-will-reach-1-million-soon.51214/#post-345109

Thank you very much Mrs BRKb,

I did come across a thread or two including the one about zen******* talking about helping someone within the forum community. My intention was to get more perspective from people who were able to find local millionaires (close to where they live) and whether the face to face aspect was a huge factor or not.

And another part of my question was about what will the mentor specifically get out of the relationship so that I know what to offer prospective mentors.

I will take your suggestion though and see if I can uncover those specific answers.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
So maybe if you wanted to be a little more helpful (which I don't think you are given your elitist reply)

Trust me, I was very easy on you compared to how it can get around here when someone posts a thread wanting a "millionaire mentor for free."

Searching for the word "millionaire" in the "millionaire fastlane " forum is not necessarily the most practical way of doing it.

Stop chasing money and search for something other than "millionaire".
Maybe search for "mentor" since that is what you would like to find...right?

Sure, I'll do the work for you and give you threads to read since you don't want to search...Search "How to Piss Off a Mentor Pro Version". That will give you a start.
There is so much gold on the Inside. Welcome to the INSIDERS by the way.
Just absorb all of the Inside threads man. Just trying to help. Nothing will get handed to you. And you definitely won't find a free mentor. Everything has a price whether it's monetary or not.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I think face to face is very important, at least in the beginning until you establish some sort of relationship with the mentor. It is easy to avoid phone calls and emails, but in person they are forced to confront your questions directly. It also puts a face to the mentorship, and makes it more personable for both parties. In a way, they become more involved in your life and are more of a contribution to your success.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
brob742,

I think there's a few misunderstandings, maybe I wasn't clear in my initial message:

1- I'm not looking for a mentor on this forum, although I'm open to it if it happens
2- I'm not desperate for coaching/mentoring, I'm using the millionaire criterion as a benchmark to differentiate between the coaches (which I'm not interested in hearing from anymore) and the people who actually accomplished something in their lives. I'm not chasing the millionaires' millions, I'm chasing their mindsets!
3- The free part: as you can see from my very first message I did not have a problem paying coaches a lot of money even though I did not get a lot of value from it, so do you think that if I now get a millionaire as a coach I will refuse to pay them if they ask for it? Of course not! However money might not be what they're after, so offering them money outright might be taken the wrong way, I don't know! I haven't had this discussion with a millionaire to know for sure and that's why I'm asking these questions.

Carny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 20, 2013
A millionaire isn't necessarily what you are looking for. There are plenty of 70-year-old millionaires that spent their life in the slow lane.

Look for someone that is doing what you want to do and doing it well.

Then figure out how you can help them.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
A millionaire isn't necessarily what you are looking for. There are plenty of 70-year-old millionaires that spent their life in the slow lane.

Look for someone that is doing what you want to do and doing it well.

Then figure out how you can help them.

That's a good point Carny.

So if I factor in InLikeFlint's feedback I should just have a list of "target" mentors (give priority to local mentors) and research what every mentor could use help with OR just call them outright and ask them if 1)they can mentor me 2)what I can do in return?

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Not every millionaire would automatically be a good mentor. In a good mentor there will be attributes like talents for teaching, explaining, guiding.

Also:
- Get connected – meeting more people will provide you with more opportunities to find a mentor, so go out and connect with more people. That way you have more potential mentors.
- Give first – depending on your prospective mentor, offer to work for them for free for a certain number of hours per week in exchange for mentoring.
- Deepen the relationship - you may need to give more in order to deepen the relationship into one where it is appropriate to ask for a mentorship.

- http://www.quicksprout.com/2013/11/...onaires-and-how-you-can-get-to-know-them-too/

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Not every millionaire would automatically be a good mentor. In a good mentor there will be attributes like talents for teaching, explaining, guiding.

Also:
- Get connected – meeting more people will provide you with more opportunities to find a mentor, so go out and connect with more people. That way you have more potential mentors.
- Give first – depending on your prospective mentor, offer to work for them for free for a certain number of hours per week in exchange for mentoring.
- Deepen the relationship - you may need to give more in order to deepen the relationship into one where it is appropriate to ask for a mentorship.

- http://www.quicksprout.com/2013/11/...onaires-and-how-you-can-get-to-know-them-too/

That one link above has been worth all the hassles I had to go through with brob742 (just kidding :))

No seriously Mrs. BRKb, what a great find, +rep transfer

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
  1. Patience.
  2. Go to places and events where the kind of people you are looking for go.
  3. Work the crowd networking with everyone. Enjoy conversations with people, listen and don't come across as eager to get what you want. You may be able to provide value to others as well.
  4. Listen (oh, did I say that already) - Understand challenges people are dealing with and try to help where appropriate. EX: What did you do in that situation? What do you think would be another way to handle that?
  5. Make the mission to learn from everyone and you will be surprised the people to begin to rub elbows with.
  6. When you find "your person," just have a conversation with them without appearing anxious to get something for nothing. You can receive mentoring in one conversation or more on future gatherings. Leave it up to the person if they want to participate more.
I've got a feeling you will find what you are searching for.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Oh boy.
Lets do a fun exercise...
I won't answer your question.

Instead,
I'm going to answer ANOTHER question.. a question you DIDNT ASK.
I'm going to pretend you asked "How do I find the love of my life?"

THE ANSWER:
Listen buddy, we've all been there.
Finding love can be hard.
and when you're alone it seems like everybody else has someone.

But you can't focus too much on finding love.
When you're looking for a partner, ladies can sense your desperation
It's unattractive, it'll get you nowhere.

Instead... let go.
Stop thinking "how can I find the love of my life" and start thinking
"How can I be as helpful and friendly as possible to everybody around me?"

Focus on being fun, friendly, useful, and likable.
The rest will fall into place.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser2

so I have moved several times. in the past 20 yrs.

new town, new people

everywhere I go, I meet millionaires.

how is that even possible?
perhaps its my mindset, or my expectations, or I just know who to talk to.
very likely I just hang out with the right crowd.....

or I have learned to ask better questions.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Instead of focusing on your own needs, why not focus on somebody else's needs? Just because you're not worth millions, doesn't mean that you might not figure something you could make, do or provide that could be helpful to a rich person, and out of interest in that, they might be willing to talk to you. Demonstrate what value you can provide; mentors will find you.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Instead of focusing on your own needs, why not focus on somebody else's needs? Just because you're not worth millions, doesn't mean that you might not figure something you could make, do or provide that could be helpful to a rich person, and out of interest in that, they might be willing to talk to you. Demonstrate what value you can provide; mentors will find you.
How to find local millionaires willing to mentor you for free?

Read that, how foolish does it sound? You don't have enough money to get a millionaires attention. Change your mind set.

Guys, I agree that this was not the most eloquent way to ask this question, this was probably the first thread I started. I meant it to be read as a how-to question so that people would be more interested in the thread but given the responses it seems that this "tactic" has backfired :D

In any case, I'm glad that I started this thread because I did get some very helpful suggestions that I started acting upon and will hopefully be able to share some good results with you soon.

DarioMontesdeOca

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 14, 2014
If you live in a relatively large city you should really try http://www.Meetup.com and go to as many business meetups as you can. Some of the meetups I've gone to are run by really sharp, educated and wealthy people who will gladly exchange ideas with you, afterall that's why some of them started the meetups in the first place. As you begin networking and making new friends and contacts one person will lead to the next and eventually you will find the right mix of people to learn from in your city.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I run a meetup locally.
it works great.
Z

But Z, WHERE are your ASSETS!?

To the OP: When I read your headline I cringed a little bit. You're only looking out for yourself. You want a millionaire mentor to help you for FREE.

Well, what value are you providing him?

Perhaps, you may change your approach to finding a potential mentor, and asking that person what you can do for him/her for FREE.

See where that takes you.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Hey Jason,

As I explained in my last message the headline was really meant to engage people and get more feedback (which is working to an extent ;)).

As for giving back, I did mention the following in the first message:
I'm also interested in knowing what do millionaires get from mentoring other people, I get that it's helping others, but what is specifically about that that moves them? Is the monetary compensation still needed? I'm asking because I'd like to know what can I give in return and make it win-win.

Based on some responses in this thread I did get some really good pointers that address that question specifically.

If this is something that you've done, would you care to give us your feedback as to what has worked for you (in terms of giving back)?

Last edited:

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I think you got all you need in this thread and I gotten a few reminders out of it myself. I am glad I clicked on the page even though your headline also made me cringe too initially :)

Last edited:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
One thing I gleaned from some of the senior folks here is that simply asking good questions and implementing their advice is often enough.

Mentors genuniely enjoy helping people, but they can't stand it when you approach them with a know it all, do it for me attitude. They are teaching you to fish - they aren't going to catch the fish for you.

So something to think about - when anyone who is further along in the process of building a business (whether they are a millionaire or not) gives you advice, 9 times out of 10 you should just go ahead and do it without thinking about it too much. You pay them back in the action you take.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
This question is asked all of the time. Everyone that has this question needs to listen to this interview from minute 4:45 - 13:00. The whole interview is good to listen to while you work...

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
This question is asked all of the time. Everyone that has this question needs to listen to this interview from minute 4:45 - 13:00. The whole interview is good to listen to while you work...

Best part: When looking for a relationship you don't walk up to someone and say: I am looking to settle down. It makes em want to run as far away from you as possible. When looking for a mentor you shouldn't go around "LOOKING FOR A MENTOR", they too will run.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.