The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Find a Mentor?

Anything related to matters of the mind

MapsandMeanings

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 31, 2017
Florida
Hello,
Hope all is well today. For a one man show, I think I do my best to hope myself accountable and to keep myself on track. I think what could take me to the next level is to have a mentor that would hold me accountable and be a sounding board to all of my crazy ideas.

My question is where would I find a mentor if I have exhausted the circle of people I know? I've tried searching for other sites but couldn't come across anything that had potential.

Thank you for the advice and guidance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WabiSabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 2, 2019
Katy, Texas
Books, you can have your choice of mentor from anyone in history. Ask yourself, how would blank approach this problem?

Nobody can hold you accountable except yourself. I know that probably isn't what you want to hear but it's true. Best thing I've ever done is keep a record of the things I accomplish during the day. Does it line up with my goals? That keeps me accountable.

MapsandMeanings

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 31, 2017
Florida
Books, you can have your choice of mentor from anyone in history. Ask yourself, how would blank approach this problem?

Nobody can hold you accountable except yourself. I know that probably isn't what you want to hear but it's true. Best thing I've ever done is keep a record of the things I accomplish during the day. Does it line up with my goals? That keeps me accountable.

Your right for sure. I usually do the daily record of goals and then how that leads to the weekly and monthly goals.

I just had a freak out the other night as I'm approaching 40 this year and I said "I have to stop wasting my time and accelerate things." Although I'm moving the needle everyday, I just can't conceptualize (currently) on how to do all of these things and/or how people have done it in the past.

WabiSabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 2, 2019
Katy, Texas
Why are you freaking out? Everyone goes through life differently and we don't start off equal or with the same knowledge.

You need to make peace with time, every choice you've made has made you the person you are today. Personally, I feel like I wasted alot of my highschool life playing video games, no girlfriend, no social life, stuck inside ect. But ya know what, If I had to go back again I wouldn't change it for anything because it led me here. Happiness and purpose is found in the present, not the past. You're never gonna get that time back but you can always change the future. You might have to get some sacrifices to get what you really want.

Don't believe the Facebook "success" stories either. Alot of it is disingenuous narrative crafting, truly happy people aren't blasting it over social media.

Ehh, I know this sounds kinda woo woo but it works for me.

MapsandMeanings

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 31, 2017
Florida
Why are you freaking out? Everyone goes through life differently and we don't start off equal or with the same knowledge.

You need to make peace with time, every choice you've made has made you the person you are today. Personally, I feel like I wasted alot of my highschool life playing video games, no girlfriend, no social life, stuck inside ect. But ya know what, If I had to go back again I wouldn't change it for anything because it led me here. Happiness and purpose is found in the present, not the past. You're never gonna get that time back but you can always change the future. You might have to get some sacrifices to get what you really want.

Don't believe the Facebook "success" stories either. Alot of it is disingenuous narrative crafting, truly happy people aren't blasting it over social media.

Ehh, I know this sounds kinda woo woo but it works for me.

I'd say I'm "freaking" out not about the past. I agree that it's a) in the past and b) it made me who I am today. It's more so the future in the sense where I have so many ideas/goals etc and there's only so much time. I have to balance that with the natural over-thinking which could then cause inaction. That is why I wanted a mentor or a guide. But maybe I need a business partner instead to increase the output?

Yes, I agree you shouldn't believe all those success stories out there. A very good friend of mine said "those the most happiest and wealthy are the ones not talking about it."

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
I just had a freak out the other night as I'm approaching 40 this year and I said "I have to stop wasting my time and accelerate things."

Cut yourself some slack. These things take time and you shouldn't expect to rewire your slowlane brain overnight. It's a matter of developing new fastlane skills through new habits and repeated action. Just like working on your physique at a gym.

Although I'm moving the needle everyday, I just can't conceptualize (currently) on how to do all of these things and/or how people have done it in the past.

How do eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Don't think you need to know the whole detailed map to move forward. Start with the smallest and nearest thing to do and get that one thing done. Then the next one. And the next one. It doesn't even matter if the thing you choose is critical/final for your journey. The act of moving forward uncovers the landscape and refines your map. Then you learn what to do and how to do it. That's how everyone learns, even if they study books or have mentors. We all need to try, see and adapt.

It's more so the future in the sense where I have so many ideas/goals etc and there's only so much time. I have to balance that with the natural over-thinking which could then cause inaction.

Your brain is trying to keep you in your comfort zone and avoid risk. So it's throwing all these conditional things and problems at you to trip you over and not move anywhere.

That is why I wanted a mentor or a guide. But maybe I need a business partner instead to increase the output?

It's a limiting belief. You are enough.

Photool

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 17, 2020
Orlando Florida

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Utilize the search button with mentor keyword. You will see a lot of fastlane links.

MapsandMeanings

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 31, 2017
Florida
Cut yourself some slack. These things take time and you shouldn't expect to rewire your slowlane brain overnight. It's a matter of developing new fastlane skills through new habits and repeated action. Just like working on your physique at a gym.

How do eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Don't think you need to know the whole detailed map to move forward. Start with the smallest and nearest thing to do and get that one thing done. Then the next one. And the next one. It doesn't even matter if the thing you choose is critical/final for your journey. The act of moving forward uncovers the landscape and refines your map. Then you learn what to do and how to do it. That's how everyone learns, even if they study books or have mentors. We all need to try, see and adapt.

Your brain is trying to keep you in your comfort zone and avoid risk. So it's throwing all these conditional things and problems at you to trip you over and not move anywhere.

It's a limiting belief. You are enough.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I really really really appreciate it.

SunnyN

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 2, 2014
Hello,
Hope all is well today. For a one man show, I think I do my best to hope myself accountable and to keep myself on track. I think what could take me to the next level is to have a mentor that would hold me accountable and be a sounding board to all of my crazy ideas.

My question is where would I find a mentor if I have exhausted the circle of people I know? I've tried searching for other sites but couldn't come across anything that had potential.

Thank you for the advice and guidance.
I found my mentor on micromentor.org. He's a great guy and whenever I am down and just clueless, he gives me great insights and guidance. He's my guru and success doctor in life.

dmetts

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Feb 21, 2017
Atlanta
If you chase a cat it'll run away but if you have what the cat wants it'll come to you

Marketing 101
Yeah, but doesn't the cat need to be aware of what you've got? Growth doesn't happen in a vacuum just because the product's great...see quite a few great ideas die that way.

My 2 cents :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.