The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to develop your PLAN

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, let's recap:

If you're truly, madly, deeply involved in this exercise, by now you've:

1. Identified your CORE values and characteristics
2. Examined your needs, wants, and likes.
3. Started to TAKE ACTION-
-tracking your daily expenses
-identified some spending habits and expenses that are, well, eye-opening

And, if you've been casually reading this thread, following along, but not doing the exercises, chances are you're no different than before you started. :smx4:

So, a quick time out to ask those who have read, but not done, these exercises:

Why not?

What's held you back?

Most of us are here because we are working towards being financially free. We feel a deep need-- a drive-- a burning desire to make more of our lives than the 9 to 5 drudge that everyone else around us seems to think is the only way to go.

We think there is another way.

A better way.

But here's the problem: No matter how much desire, or passion you have, or how frustrated you are with a rat race existence, nothing is going to change. Nothing.

Until you start doing.

So, I ask the "readers" (not the doers) of this thread one last time:

What is preventing you from doing the exercises?

You know the answer of course.

YOU are the only thing preventing you from doing these exercises, taking control of your financial future, and moving ahead.

How long will you let this continue? Until you're 50? 70? In the ground?

Part Three: WAKING UP! (taking stock of what is essential)

If you've been doing the exercises, chances are you've had a few big surprises, especially this last phase-- tracking every penny going into and out of your life.

What Happened?

If you're in shock right now, that's absolutely normal. For some of you, this is the first time you'e started to become financially aware of what's going on in their day to day lives.

Kinda like waking up from a dream.

When I first did this exercise, I felt like I had awakened and was now living-- a NIGHTMARE!

My first reaction was shock. Then denial ("these expenses were unusual this month"). Then, after I'd tracked expenses for a few months, I discovered-- to my horror-- that I had "unusual" expenses each and every month.

Dang.

Turns out, I was just being a typical American consumer. Eating out, driving my car(s), and buying stuff.

Buying LOTS and LOTS of stuff.

A sickening amount of stuff.

Stuff that I never used. Or used only occasionally.

Stuff, stuff, stuff.

Those of you that are pack rats know just how much stuff you buy and never use-- it accumulates and takes over your life.

And those of you who are adept at "purging" things that aren't used have been spared the awful truth: That you are essentially working hours/weeks/months, to buy STUFF . . . much of which, you never (or rarely) use. By getting rid of it (giving it away, loaning it to friends, throwing it out, or (gasp!) selling it cheap)-- you are like a tub full of money with a slow leak at the bottom. As you constantly get rid of the things you don't use, you don't realize just how much all of this STUFF is costing you.

This realization affects everyone differently.

Some folks who were "purgers" start hoarding-- never letting anything go. This helps identify how much is coming into your life (by stopping the "leak" of purging). But in most cases, it's terribly depressing. STUFF piles up, and you feel out of control-- like your STUFF owns you, and not the other way around.

Others (the pack rats) often start purging-- via garage sales, donations to Goodwill-- anything to rid them of the STUFF.

Neither one of these approaches is particularly healthy-- but both are pretty normal reactions to waking up and realizing just how much STUFF you have and don't use.

Voluntary Simplicity

The route I took, once I realized how much STUFF was weighing me down, was inspired by a quote from Henry David Thoreau:

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify."

I looked at my life, and at what I spent-- and for virtually everything-- I asked:

"Is this essential to my life? My happiness?"

And most important:

"Can I live without this?"

After doing this for a few weeks, I was stunned.

Virtually *everything* in my life was "nice to have around", but not "essential".

Another way to look at this is: If my house was on fire and I can only save what I can carry, what do I choose? (this assumes that every living creature in your home is already out safely).

What I would grab?

My answers (back when I first did this exercise as a single guy, 15 years ago):

I'd grab my photos from traveling the world. And my guitar.

That's it.

Everything else could go.

Everything else was not essential to me-- and was replaceable, on some level.

Note that this was 15 years ago, when I was a younger, single guy. Now, my list is shorter:

Nothing.

The only things that are absolutely essential to me are my family and pets (which were excluded in the above exercise).

Everything else, while nice to have, is just STUFF.

It can be replaced. And if it can't, I could live just fine without it.

I know what you're thinking.

"He's full of cr*p. He'd grab something if he had the chance."

You're right.

I'd grab my laptop, or backup hard drive, because I have so much of my life in there (past work, etc), and my wallet, because it has my ID and credit cards (enough to survive without anything else).

But both of those things are not ESSENTIAL to my continued existence. I could live without them.

Time for some fun. Remember, this is not a REAL fire (in a real fire, you get you and your loved ones out, right away, and don't go back inside!).

What would you grab?

Could you live without ALL of your stuff?

If not: What is ESSENTIAL to your life?

What are the things you cannot live without? (remember, people and pets are excluded from this exercise).

(Let's assume that, if you have insurance, it would cover the losses within 30 days).

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
What would you grab?

Could you live without ALL of your stuff?

If not: What is ESSENTIAL to your life?

What are the things you cannot live without? (remember, people and pets are excluded from this exercise).

I've been thinking about this all day. I honestly can't think of one thing I'd grab. Obviously, if I HAD to, I'd bring my wallet and computer hard drive.

But even pictures, etc are stored in my head also. I've had the experiences, been in the moment.

Wow, not sure what this says about me. Either I'm pretty simple when you boil it down, OR I don't like much stuff!

And actually, as I look back on my spending, although I spent a lot more than I should have, most of it was spent on experiences...dinners with friends, trips, good wine to drink with friends, etc.

Another "A-Ha." Money to me is for the important stuff - travel and experience all life has to offer with people I love while not worrying about the cost of the experience.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I'm still trying to digest Novembers tracking exercise, but thinking about this...Well, I think the only thing I would take is my hard drive.

No wallet, no pda, tv, dvd, home theater, printer, watches, glasses, shoes, pc's (I have 5 :smxE:), cloth....crap! :smx4:

Thanks Russ, Im in debt with you man.

Tomorrow I'll post my tracking.

Anymore exercises?

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
since I started this exercises I have purchased extra on line storage for a bargain price and I have stored about 50% of my most important things on line in addition to being on my laptop. I am working on other things that I want to store off site. there is nothing I would take but my purse & my laptop & in a few months I won't even need my laptop because I have personal and business items backed up on two different off site backup services.
its all good
Janet

rzach41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 23, 2007
since I started this exercises I have purchased extra on line storage for a bargain price and I have stored about 50% of my most important things on line in addition to being on my laptop. I am working on other things that I want to store off site. there is nothing I would take but my purse & my laptop & in a few months I won't even need my laptop because I have personal and business items backed up on two different off site backup services.
its all good
Janet

Janet's holding down the fort!

Russ, since I am now taking action in the RE game, it is befitting that I start to participate in this thread. While it will take me some time to figure out my plan in detail, I will immediately begin tracking my expenses.

May the force be with you,

Ryan

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
About 2 years ago - we sold everything.... well - okay - not quite everything. We kept:

• books
  • photos
  • car
  • blankets
  • a backpack for each family member with clothing inside

Everything else went. Furniture, nick nacks, appliances, sports equipment, all of it. It felt a little strange.... at first.... but oh, so liberating too.
Everything we owned fit in our car and we hit the road.

Now we think twice before we bring something new into our home... often times, it is just clutter.... something more to clean.

Today - what would we keep?

Laptop (important work docs there - would take time to replace)
Photos

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Great responses!

Bobbo-- A fire extinguisher. Now why didn't I think of that!? :smx8:

Janet-- can you share how/where you do online storage? I think this is a PERFECT tie in w/our PLAN, as it reduces the amount of "stuff" we need to move on (I think of it as just another kind of insurance-- the more appropriate insurance we have, the less we "lose" if we have a "fire". :) )

Storing all the photos and essential files off-site, online means I can actually grab that fire extinguisher, and not worry about other "STUFF"! :D

Sean-- rep points for you. You are really growing as this thread progresses. It's fun to see and be a part of your growth.

Sonya- Have you read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/One-Year-Off-Round-World/dp/1885211651/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196966692&sr=8-1"]"One Year Off"[/ame]? It was out of print for a while, but now it's back. I just got it.

Ryan and Jorge-- Welcome, and we look forward to seeing your results from each part of these exercises (starting w/CORE values/characteristics).

And yes, there are more exercises. But you need to know your monthly expenses-- AND-- what is "essential" stuff before we can do them.

That's next, as soon as we get a few more "stuff I gotta have" posts! :)

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Sonya- Have you read "One Year Off"? It was out of print for a while, but now it's back. I just got it.

Yes! I've got that book on my bookshelf. Love it!!! ... My name ain't "AroundTheWorld" for nothing! but I won't go on and on as I don't want to hijack your thread. :smxB:

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
The only thing that I would grab is my cell phone (to dial 911, perhaps? :) and to call my extended family to let them know we were all OK) and my husbands meds.

We, like "around the world" sold almost everything back in 2001. It was a great experience. Difficult to let go of some things at first but as we sold more and more, it was easier to let go. Not many things were missed and NONE of what was missed was essential.

In 2006 we placed everything we had except for what we felt was essential to live on (actually to set up a household) and moved to a new state. There was no insurance money to replace anything because this was by choice but we had everything we needed. It all fit in a small pick up, an explorer, and a trailer. 1 and a half years later, we still have not gone back to pick up the stuff in storage. Eventually we will but that "stuff" is just the fluff to living. It just makes living more enjoyable.

Last month during the San Diego fires, I thought about what this exercise is illustrating. We have family in San Diego, all were evacuated and thankfully no one lost their belongings. They grabbed: legal paperwork, insurance policies, birth certificates, etc. and one of a kind things like original artwork.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
wildambitions-

Meds-- now that's something I had forgotten. It would be much harder to get prescrips refilled when you don't have all the info on the bottles.

Since part of my PLAN is to take (or need to take) as little as possible from that burning building, I'm going to put all of our prescription meds on a spreadsheet, w/contact info (who prescribed it, etc). We'll also scan and attach any scrip from the physicians, so we can reprint it in an emergency.

Just having one pharmacy w/all of our prescriptions seems to be the best way to have a back up here, as well.

But you're so right-- having a few day's worth of meds is essential. Thanks for bringing this up!

Our important papers like birth certificates, etc. are all packed away in safe deposit boxes-- w/scanned copies in the computer.

But they weren't-- until we did this exercise a few years ago! :)

-Russ H.

PS In case you haven't guessed, this exercise applies to a few things. One, it identifies what your essential STUFF is. And two, it helps you realize that you don't have to wait until a fire (or some other major catastrophe, like a tornado, flood, or burglary) to protect your valuables. You can implement these safeguards today, and be in a much better place. :banana:

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
What? I thought of something that Russ didn't (that was actually useful information) and got no rep+. Geez, what's a gal gotta do? OK, don't really answer that.

There is actually more problem than not just having the info on the bottle. If you have recently refilled, sometimes pharmacies will not allow another refill.

We went on an extended vacation a few years ago and needed more meds than we currently had. We were not allowed to refill even though there were more refills allowed according to the bottle. The pharmacy explained that there was too much of what we had already to have a need for more that soon. After we explained the reason we needed them early, they did allow for part of the refill to occur but could not give us the entire refill. It messed everything up for the duration of that prescription which had 4 months of refills remaining.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sorry, wildambitions, you deserve rep points for lots of things in this thread, so you got 'em.

No rep points for the fire extinguisher, Bob, just in case you were wondering . . ;)

-Russ H.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Thanks Russ :)

Seriously, this is a GREAT thread. And I am glad to be part of it. Can't wait to find out what is next.

In the mean time, I plan to use a number of the ideas suggested that I haven't done into my personal life and implement all of them into my business. I want to be able to have what I need business wise available when I need it as well.

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
Ok I've been following this thread all week, time to get on board.

Quick background: 40 year old teacher. Been teaching for 11 years now and am getting burned out. We have our first rental. a whopping $30 a month cash flow but I only owe 10 years on a 15 year note. We are ready for the next step.

I had just gone through our financials for last month before I found this thread.

Core Values

Happiness
Family
Stability
Music

Favorites

NASCAR
Working on vehicles
Playing Music
Travel ( somewhere nice every summer)
Camping
the Beach
building things
Driving
Cooking
Beer

Going through the budget was very revealing. Lots of places to cut back but we also were on vacation for 5 days at the beach fishing, and a 3 day weekend for Nascar at Texas Motor Speedway. So that is probably why we can't account for 325.00. Bait and camping fees. We rarely carry cash on us so I used our bank statement.

Budget tracking for 10/20-11/20
Total net income 7026.00

Food 201.30
Fast Food >100.00
Mortgage 1 1150.00
Mortgage 2 950.00
Electric 332.65
Gas 40.00
Water 86.79
Car Insurance 125.00
Student Loans 395.00
Internet 56.00
Dish 51.00
Credit Cards 1010.00
Phones 156.00
Last truck payment 166.13 Both vehicles payed for now
Clothes and misc. 231.30
vacation expenses 150.00
BEER AND CIGS 782.19
Gasoline 342.79
Auto Maint 38.85
Business Expenses 250.36
Nail Salon for wife 83.00

Total 6698.36

Immediate plan is to get the beer budget down to less than 300.00 a month. Take a debt consolidation loan from Credit Union to pay off all credit cards reducing monthly from 1010.00 to around 550.00 for 5 years.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sheesh, why don't you buy it by the pony keg and get a tap? Gotta be cheaper.

Almost 10 Grand a year for beer and ciggies.

And I thought my Chinese food habit was bad! ;)

-Russ H.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
The route I took, once I realized how much STUFF was weighing me down, was inspired by a quote from Henry David Thoreau:

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify."

I do this with projects.
Bring it back to the bare bones.
What must be done.
Really look at the "have to's" and ensure they truly are
(if you think about it, you don't "have to" do much).

As for what I would take in a fire?
Everything I need,
I either carry with me every single day
(the passport, id, etc),
store a copy with someone else
(i.e. the financial advisor),
or it resides online somewhere
(Russ, if you truly care about those photos,
put a copy online).

Stuff isn't that important to me.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
BEER AND CIGS 782.19

Immediate plan is to get the beer budget down to less than 300.00 a month.

You will see benefits over and above financial savings.

Kindly,

A family that has been there.

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
It becomes so easy to swipe the card everyday at the convenience store and never think twice about. Hey we are both professionals making decent money right? :coco:
Problem is a 12 pack of beer and 2 packs of smokes almost daily adds up quickly. This is the first time we have sat down and looked at the bank account line by line. Came as quite a shock! Quit smoking and cut way back on the drinking and we can afford our next rental. Time to change some habits!

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Janet-- can you share how/where you do online storage? I think this is a PERFECT tie in w/our PLAN, as it reduces the amount of "stuff" we need to move on (I think of it as just another kind of insurance-- the more appropriate insurance we have, the less we "lose" if we have a "fire". :) )

Storing all the photos and essential files off-site, online means I can actually grab that fire extinguisher, and not worry about other "STUFF"! :D

-Russ H.

I use quickbooks and have a backup account for that with intuit. I also have a on line back up with https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/backup_get_free_trial/home.asp. I use logme in to access computers and it seemed like a natural to use the back up service also. I also have an account with
http://offsiteonlinebackup.com/pricing.htm to duplicate my logmein backup so I am double covered. I have not scanned all of my old photos that are dear but I am working on it. Another thing I do is have a email account that is not picked up by outlook so I have a chance to sort & deleate and things that are not security but just good to save I email my self & store on the email account like my meds list. I have been in Florida on a business trip and lost my meds we wanted to stay an extra week for a cruise to the bahamas; I went for into a internet kiosk, jumped on yahoo & downloaded all my meds numbers & pharmacy contacts & got everything replaced before the next trip.
Janet

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Quit smoking and cut way back on the drinking and we can afford our next rental. Time to change some habits!

Talk about life changing events, huh? Rep points on saying (or in this case writing) it out loud. Keep us posted on your progress and keep this for your success story. It is powerful! :smxG:

cynabyte

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 21, 2007
North Branch, MI
Need to Grab (after family members, pets, and fire extinguisher)

-cell phone
-wallet
-laptop
-journal
-keys

(or maybe just marshmallows, hot dogs, and a stick)

Need to Do

-scan important documents and create backup file
-picture/video of possessions for insurance (and receipts)
-buy a fireproof safe

no meds to worry about so I think that covers it

Now to point out the elephant in the room loosing things in a fire is a bit different then selling off your possessions (which some people have mentioned) Loss to a fire may or maynot change a habit or attachment to the things you buy, but I think it takes some serious willpower, and conviction to sell off the things you have worked hard to acquire regardless how useless and clutter-some those things may be. (this is from the outside looking in as I a). have never lost anything due to fire or b). sold off all my stuff) But as was mentioned in previous posts it is hard at first, but after your are rid of the clutter you really do not find yourself needing it.

"Vanity of vanities,all is vanity,The author writes in Ecclesiastes: "I searched in my heart how to gratify my flesh with wine, while guiding my heart with wisdom...I made my works great, I built myself houses... I became great and excelled."

But, in his old age, he surveys his labors: "I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled, and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind."

In Conclusion: "Eat your bread with joy and drink your wine with a merry heart... Let your garments always be white and let your head lack no oil... Live joyfully with the wife whom you love...Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for there is no work or device or wisdom in the grave where you are going."

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Now to point out the elephant in the room loosing things in a fire is a bit different then selling off your possessions (which some people have mentioned) Loss to a fire may or maynot change a habit or attachment to the things you buy, but I think it takes some serious willpower, and conviction to sell off the things you have worked hard to acquire regardless how useless and clutter-some those things may be. (this is from the outside looking in as I a).

I think this is a good point.

When I was a kid, our house got robbed. The thieves took even our clothes!!

Anyway, we had insurance and they covered all the losses. That didn't changed our POV about "stuff", in fact, after that my father and mother went out and bought a larger TV :smx4:

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
And yes, there are more exercises. But you need to know your monthly expenses-- AND-- what is "essential" stuff before we can do them.

That's next, as soon as we get a few more "stuff I gotta have" posts! :)

Come on people! Post, post, post!!!!!

(can you tell I'm ready and excited for the next exercise?)

thanks for doing this, Russ.

-SeanS :banana:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I'm still recording everything! :)

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Ok...my turn:

MY CORE VALUES:
-F Family
-I Being with intelligent, open minded and passionate people
-T Travel
-CP Work in my own projects, specially computer related
-M Movies and Music
-L Learning
-S Spirituality
-H Help others

I LOVE:

I currently do:
-Going to the movies (F, M)
-Listen Music (M)
-Work with Computers (CP, M, L)
-Books (L)
-Having alone time to think (L, S)
-Having lunch with my family (F)
-Enjoy sex with my beloved one (F, S)
-Thinking about new business ideas (CP, I, L)
-Buy new gadgets
-Playing video games (not much)
-Play cashflow 101 with friends (F, L)
-Give charity (H - not as much as I would like to)
-Drive without a destination (T)
-Be a member of TFLTM forum (L, I, CP, H)
I haven't done in a while:
-Try new foods (T, F, L)
-Drink a coffee and talk about dreams and accomplishments with special friends (I, S)
-Long car trips (T, F, S)
-Kid Toys
-The beach (T, F)
-Romantic dinners (F)
-Small bike trips (T)
-Have deep conversations with insightful people (I, S)

EXPENSES TRACKING:

-Credit Card: $381
-Bank Loan: $616
-Office Setup (Network stuff): $700 (December will be a lot more :smxE:)
-Entertainment (Movies, Restaurants, Gadgets, etc): $495 (OMG! :wtf:)
-Bottled Water and Cigs: $167
-Books & Cashflow 101: $370
-Car (Gas, Insurance, Taxes, Mechanic): $859 (OMG! :coco:)
-Utilities (Phone, Cell): $213
-Health (Dentist - Braces): $1779 (Only one payment, this month only!)
-Clothing (Barber, Cloth): $40 (The rest is in the CC)

TOTAL: $5620

If my house (parents house in fact) would burn on fire, I would only grab my HardDrive as I stated before.

Ok...I think I'm going for a drink until Russ tell me what to do :leaving:

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
I actually have been in a house fire and lost everything before. When I got out of the military I moved to Myrtle Beach SC with a couple of buddies. We lived on the second floor of some apartments. We had grilled chicken on a hibachi on the back porch the night before. Next morning people were banging on our door telling us the apartment was on fire. The hibachi had caused the insulation to catch on fire in the walls and smolder all night. I had time to get some shorts on and grab my guitar on the way out. We came back for a second trip and as we entered the front door the back sliding glass door exploded in flames. We got lucky in that one of us had put 100.00 in our waterbed mattress so it didn't burn. Since I was only 21 or 22 at the time my guitar was the most important thing to me.

Now I would get the family out first and get at least one vehicle away from the flames. I would love to get my hard drive with music for my DJ business because that would be the hardest to replace. Might be time to look at backing that up and keeping it somewhere else.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
yvesskliensky said:
I'm still recording everything! :)

Good on you! :hurray:

You have just made the first big step towards staying financially consciousness. :thumbsup:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, time to extend the "STUFF" concept:

If you've been following along, you now know what you absolutely need in case of a fire-- your bare minimum essentials that are irreplaceable, or at least (in the case of prescription drugs), essential to survival.

Now comes the hard part:

Let's assume you HAVE to move, and you must leave most of your belongings behind.

Similar to the fire exercise-- with one catch:

You WILL NOT replace anything. What you take now, is all you will have to live on.

And here's the kicker: You need to bring only the things that will keep you happy, and allow you to continue living the life you choose.

So, if playing video games is an essential part of your life, you must list the game console, the actual games, and whatever device you need to play back/view the games.

If you completely get rid of something (like all of your kitchen items, or your bed), you need to mention how you plan to eat, or how/where you're going to sleep.

This list takes longer.

And it requires a LOT more thought.

It may start out as a total inventory of what you own (GREAT for insurance purposes).

And from there, you may whittle down things to only those essentials.

Whatever you do, remember the 2 rules:

1. You need to keep things required for day to day survival, at a minimum

2. You need to keep anything that you feel is essential to your happiness.

Keep in mind that you can take an inventory and just say, "Here it is."

Or you can look at each and every item you own, and ask, "How does this contribute to my life?"

I did this w/an excel spreadsheet, putting estimated replacement value in the column next to each item, and using another column to mark the item as essential, or not essential, and which non-essentials I needed b/c they made me happy.

You could also do it as a word doc, but it's a bit more work to sort things.

Save it on your PC, and we'll find a place somewhere online where we can post the files.

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.