The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To CopyCat A Business & Win? (SaaS)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
A first of its kind SaaS/Software has launched in the B2B space. They are 12 months old and are doing quite well.

I would be the 2nd in the world to launch the same business model.

However, I want to make sure I execute properly as I have this fear I won't do as well if they're already doing so well with first mover advantage.

At the same time, I am confident too because I see other SaaS companies out there that are carbon copies of each other (Eg. for email there's MailCheat(Chimp), ConvertKit, GetResponse, etc)

There are 100K-500K potential clients in the specific niche they're targeting, they already have 1K clients. The software relies on network effects, so the more people that join.. the stronger/better the experience is on the platform

Any advice on doing well as the 2nd player in the market? (eg. better offer/price, better features, etc)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Even if you were a mirror image of the other company, you will take a slice of the pie. Find a USP and roll with it. There are dozens of types of bags of chips(wavy, baked, different flavors, etc). I'm sure you can add something unique on top of the main portion of the SAAS model.

Also, rarely does the first company in a space stay dominate forever.
See:
Blockbuster vs Netflix
Netscape vs IE vs Google Chrome
Blackberry vs iPhones

No one cares what business gets there first. People care who offers a better product for their money.

Nehemiah

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 1, 2022
A first of its kind SaaS/Software has launched in the B2B space. They are 12 months old and are doing quite well.

However, I want to make sure I execute properly as I have this fear I won't do as well if they're already doing so well with first mover advantage.

At the same time, I am confident too because I see other SaaS companies out there that are carbon copies of each other (Eg. for email there's N MailCheat(Chimp), ConvertKit, GetResponse, etc)

There are 100K-500K potential clients in the specific niche they're targeting, they already have 1K clients. The software relies on network effects, so the more people that join.. the stronger/better the experience is on the platform

Any advice on doing well as the 2nd player in the market? (eg. better offer/price, better features, etc)
Even if you share the same ideas for your business as the other similar companies you could only be successful if you could stand out from the crowd and the copycats and bring new and useful thing to the table

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Even if you were a mirror image of the other company, you will take a slice of the pie. Find a USP and roll with it. There are dozens of types of bags of chips(wavy, baked, different flavors, etc). I'm sure you can add something unique on top of the main portion of the SAAS model.

Also, rarely does the first company in a space stay dominate forever.
See:
Blockbuster vs Netflix
Netscape vs IE vs Google Chrome
Blackberry vs iPhones

No one cares what business gets there first. People care who offers a better product for their money.
True. I'll look at other similar softwares & borrow their features to overlap them with my SaaS. (eg. a Cold Email outreach software can incorporate an email finder database into their software. I'll do similar)

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
When you copy a Saas: do you only copy the idea and make all the system yourself or do you take their software and just improve it?

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
May 24, 2021
When you copy a Saas: do you only copy the idea and make all the system yourself or do you take their software and just improve it?
I have done this, my team and I have made the entire system ourself.
I would imagine you won't be able to get your hands on their software even if you wanted to (Did I understand your question correctly?)

Matt_2190

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 19, 2017
Southern Europe
Try to find the most important benefit for which customers choose this type of company and focus on it and/or make it more evident (for example with a better USP).

Last edited:

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
May 24, 2021

At the same time, I am confident too because I see other SaaS companies out there that are carbon copies of each other (Eg. for email there's MailCheat(Chimp), ConvertKit, GetResponse, etc)

When it comes to SAAS and Marketplaces, I have seen so many 'copycats' with very minor value add services/options for users that are very successful.

Cab hailing, as I'm sure we all know, is one of them ie. Uber, Lyft, InDriver, Bolt, etc etc.
Online grocery delivery was around for a few more years in the world before a friend of mine launched and very successfully exited his grocery delivery business here in South Africa. His differentiator was to include multiple stores that you can order from in a single order. He was not however the only one who did that.

With my SAAS product, it is not entirely similar to current businesses in the market, but I have experienced a downfall in there offering and customer service which I am and have improved on. I do believe that users look for better quality providers.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I have done this, my team and I have made the entire system ourself.
I would imagine you won't be able to get your hands on their software even if you wanted to (Did I understand your question correctly?)
Yes, exactly. Thanks.
A bit off topic, but when I want to make a app as Saas, f.e. where I take API i formation of a Forex homepage and show the charts in a special way. Where do I start? I d like to do that and I have no idea where to start.

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
May 24, 2021
Yes, exactly. Thanks.
A bit off topic, but when I want to make a app as Saas, f.e. where I take API i formation of a Forex homepage and show the charts in a special way. Where do I start? I d like to do that and I have no idea where to start.
Well, firstly you need to research APIs. Then determine if and how you can integrate that API into your website and/or app.
A few short years ago I had no idea where to start either. 2 failed attempts later, which cost me money and time, I now am surprised how some doors have opened up for me and I have so many more options and access to amazing people and teams.

My advice: Read, learn online & try to understand the SAAS industry as well as the industry your going into ie. FOREX. Then also speak to people who have technical skills. You don't always need to learn how to program, just understanding it a bit helps a ton. You can hire the skillsets.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Just copy exactly what they're doing, start marketing ASAP - but with copy specifically tailored to a specific niche within that big pool of 100K-500K people.

Come up with a unique selling proposition feature while you execute and talk to customers.

If the market is that big, if there is only one other competitor, and the competitor only has a sliver of the total market, you can sell the exact same product as them by just getting other customers first.

Also, sign up for their mailing list if they have one. You can get ideas from what they send you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.