The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to build up the confidence to tackle big projects?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Taktik

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
I've been thinking a lot the last few days about the fact that I haven't managed to get even a single project going in the last few years. I always get stuck somewhere in the planning phase.
I realized, that the reason for this is a big lack of confidence on my side. The projects (mostly e-com) are to big and daring for my current level of self-confidence. So as soon as things get tough and I feel overwhelmed, I quit as I don't have the confidence that I can do it.

That raises the question, how to build up confidence? Is it by getting small wins that get bigger and bigger over time, which also slowly increases my confidence?

I guess the easiest step to build momentum is probably freelancing, since I have a few skills I can offer clients. Or would that distract me too much from my goal (e-com)? On the other hand, I have no confidence at all with e-commerce, so even very small projects overwhelm me - so from that point of view, freelancing is probably a good step to make some initial money online on my own. (This step alone seems incredibly difficult to me. If I could manage that, it would probably be a big step forward.)

Then it is one step at a time. Maybe I find some other business opportunities along the way, that have nothing to do with e-commerce. I've been pretty limited in this aspect in terms of looking for ideas/opportunities. On the other hand, I wouldn't have had the confidence to execute on something anyway.

What do you think about it?

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
I've been thinking a lot the last few days about the fact that I haven't managed to get even a single project going in the last few years. I always get stuck somewhere in the planning phase.
I realized, that the reason for this is a big lack of confidence on my side. The projects (mostly e-com) are to big and daring for my current level of self-confidence. So as soon as things get tough and I feel overwhelmed, I quit as I don't have the confidence that I can do it.

That raises the question, how to build up confidence? Is it by getting small wins that get bigger and bigger over time, which also slowly increases my confidence?

I guess the easiest step to build momentum is probably freelancing, since I have a few skills I can offer clients. Or would that distract me too much from my goal (e-com)? On the other hand, I have no confidence at all with e-commerce, so even very small projects overwhelm me - so from that point of view, freelancing is probably a good step to make some initial money online on my own. (This step alone seems incredibly difficult to me. If I could manage that, it would probably be a big step forward.)

Then it is one step at a time. Maybe I find some other business opportunities along the way, that have nothing to do with e-commerce. I've been pretty limited in this aspect in terms of looking for ideas/opportunities. On the other hand, I wouldn't have had the confidence to execute on something anyway.

Thanks.
Looks like you already know what you need to do.

So who is closest to you that can you help with your current skills? ~ Andy

Start there.

It really is that simple. Do that and down the road, loads of opportunities will show up, and you'll gain more confidence to take on larger projects.

And I'll add. Act your goal to fail or Act until you fail. Your goal starting out should be to fail, learn, and adjust (Act, fail, assess, adjust). Don't backtrack.

If your goal now is freelancing...
You can craft a spreadsheet for what skills you should pursue, what clients to reach, grab their emails etc etc

That's backtracking. Skip it.

It comes with,

"My goal is freelancing,

But before that...
But before that...
But before that...
But before that...
But before that..."

Skip it. You'll save yourself loads of time.

And start really small. Your goal is to freelance.

So Act freelancing. Just start pitching to the closest client you know. Limit your actions to a maximum of 3 options at a time.

A) Offline- That local business owner.
B) Upwork
C) Free work online to get the cauldron popping.

You've got this!

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Thanks.
1) I pretty much always advise people start by selling time and skills (aka freelancing).

2) Work in weekly cycles. Work on task you can complete/launch in a week.

3) Consider product-founder fit. If it’s going to take YOU longer than a week to make a sale then it’s not the project for you at this stage.

4) Setup simple milestones and celebrate every win.

5) Get out of your own way and think “Is what I’m doing serving my market?” Lots of people shuffle pixels around instead of helping people.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Work your way through the first few links in my signature.

Taktik

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
I pretty much always advise people start by selling time and skills (aka freelancing).
May I ask, why you advise people to do that?

It seems to me that it would be faster if someone who wants to do e-commerce starts directly with e-commerce. Even if it's only very small steps (although I do not know what these steps might look like). Or am I mistaken?
(I know I brought up the subject of freelancing myself, but I've been wondering since I wrote my original post if it's a roundabout way to go if the endgoal is e-commerce. But then again it could sometimes be the only possible way for some people.)

Thanks.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
I’ll be the less popular voice here and say don’t do freelance.

You said it, your issue is lacking confidence. What brings the most confidence? Some form of success.

Who’s to say that freelance work is more likely to bring you success than e-commerce?

My opinion (take it or leave it) is big or small projects all take same energy and time. Might as well think bigger. Then act.

You may say “but I can’t, I keep quitting …”. That’s fine, you just need your FTE. You already sound frustrated with lack of progress. How long before you get so frustrated that fear and lack of confidence don’t control you? How long before you say “F*ck this shit, I’m doing it and it’ll F*cking work because I’m done living this way”. How long? Maybe not as long as you think. But freelance can prolong that lack of confidence. You might struggle making the money you need (barriers to entry are none!). And a year from now you’ll be posting here again the same post “I’ve been making a few $$ freelance and want to do bigger stuff but lack confidence”.

My advice - get an accountability buddy. And get to F*cking work. Do what you want to do and you’ll figure it out and gain all the confidence you need after you are successful (not before).

Taktik

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
I’ll be the less popular voice here and say don’t do freelance.

You said it, your issue is lacking confidence. What brings the most confidence? Some form of success.

Who’s to say that freelance work is more likely to bring you success than e-commerce?

My opinion (take it or leave it) is big or small projects all take same energy and time. Might as well think bigger. Then act.

You may say “but I can’t, I keep quitting …”. That’s fine, you just need your FTE. You already sound frustrated with lack of progress. How long before you get so frustrated that fear and lack of confidence don’t control you? How long before you say “f*ck this shit, I’m doing it and it’ll f*cking work because I’m done living this way”. How long? Maybe not as long as you think. But freelance can prolong that lack of confidence. You might struggle making the money you need (barriers to entry are none!). And a year from now you’ll be posting here again the same post “I’ve been making a few $$ freelance and want to do bigger stuff but lack confidence”.

My advice - get an accountability buddy. And get to f*cking work. Do what you want to do and you’ll figure it out and gain all the confidence you need after you are successful (not before).

Hm, that makes a lot of sense. There is a project I was working on last year, that I would love to start. There are so many things I would love about this project.
The thing, that stopped me, was that it would take around 10k to start it, which is a lot of money for me. Since I didn't have enough confidence that I could do it, I put the project on hold. I still think, that it is a good idea (as do many of my friends), but I don't feel like I am the person I need to be to get it of the ground - at least not yet. But I also know, that I can only become that person by actually doing it.
I thought about doing smaller e-com projects, but then I could not try the ideas I really want to try, as the margins don't allow that. I guess life is too short to do things you don't really want to do. This only leads to regret.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Hm, that makes a lot of sense. There is a project I was working on last year, that I would love to start. There are so many things I would love about this project.
The thing, that stopped me, was that it would take around 10k to start it, which is a lot of money for me. Since I didn't have enough confidence that I could do it, I put the project on hold. I still think, that it is a good idea (as do many of my friends), but I don't feel like I am the person I need to be to get it of the ground - at least not yet. But I also know, that I can only become that person by actually doing it.
I thought about doing smaller e-com projects, but then I could not try the ideas I really want to try, as the margins don't allow that.

One of the most important things for entrepreneurs is to have confidence in their ability to succeed. Without it, they will be less likely to take risks and pursue their goals. Fortunately, there are many ways to build up confidence.

One way to build up confidence is to set small goals and achieve them. Can you break down your $10k project into smaller chunks? This will show yourself that you are capable of accomplishing your goals and that you have the ability to succeed.

Regardless whether you can or cannot break down your project into smaller chunks... It is important to take action and pursue your goals. Sitting back and waiting will not get you anywhere. By taking action, you will be able to see your progress and feel more confident in yourself.

Another way to boost confidence is to associate yourself with successful people. This can be done by networking and meeting other successful entrepreneurs. Seeing their success will remind you that it is possible to achieve your goals.

It is also important to believe in yourself. If you do not believe that you can succeed, then you likely won’t. Having faith in your ability to succeed is essential for entrepreneurs. How? Do you remember the last time you did something difficult and succeeded? Write down a bunch of stories of your own success (in sports, academics, hobbies, jobs, anything and everything) and see that you are actually good at doing things well. Believe in yourself through your own past examples.

Building up confidence takes time and effort, but it is worth it. Having confidence will allow you to take risks and pursue your goals.

Good luck.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
even very small projects overwhelm me
Then don't even try bigger ones. Sounds like you need some "stamina". Confidence comes from a positive feedback loop. You have a small success event, that gives you confidence. You have a little bigger success, you get more confidence. Etc. The lack of this positive feedback is a confidence killer, as you work but don't see results (a.k.a. a new happy client, your business growing bit by bit, etc.).

I'm not sure what to advice regarding e-commerce though, I know very little about it. But I'd try a mix of freelancing and building something more scalable even if small. Freelancing is a good start, but it's easy to fall into auto-complacency and get used to selling your time.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
If you get stuck planning, stop planning. Things seldom go as you plan them, and they make all projects seem complex.

I like doing things one detail at a time and at the end, I have somehow assembled the puzzle pieces into a decent result (never a perfect result).

If you want to use a plan, do it only to help you select the detail to work on, then never look at that plan again. Make a new one where feedback from the completion of the first planning step has been incorporated.

Plan from step one to step two, with some consideration to make it compatible with your vision for future steps. It is hard to get stuck if your "plan" is so precise and simple it can be contained in one sentence / action statement.

Taktik

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
If you get stuck planning, stop planning. Things seldom go as you plan them, and they make all projects seem complex.

I like doing things one detail at a time and at the end, I have somehow assembled the puzzle pieces into a decent result (never a perfect result).

If you want to use a plan, do it only to help you select the detail to work on, then never look at that plan again. Make a new one where feedback from the completion of the first planning step has been incorporated.

Plan from step one to step two, with some consideration to make it compatible with your vision for future steps. It is hard to get stuck if your "plan" is so precise and simple it can be contained in one sentence / action statement.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the tip.
I often get stuck in planning phase, because when everything is laid out in front of you, it feels overwhelming and the goal seems so far away.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.