The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Much Would You Pay To NEVER See An Online Ad Again?

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Imagine a $120 box that sits between your cable modem (the box that brings the internet into your house) and your wireless router (the thing that fills your house with wifi) and blocks every kind of ad that can be delivered over the internet. No more ads on your laptop, tablet or smartphone. No more ads on webpages, in music streams, in front of videos, or on mobile apps. That’s the goal of AdTrap, a device that is already in the working prototype stage...

How much would you pay to never see an online ad again? – Quartz

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Does adblock stop even those little banner ads on the side say from Adsource?

Or ads in youtube or yahoo videos? Serious question I don't know the answer and am curious.

Personally I would easily pay $1000 to never see another ad ever again. Maybe even 5K if it was lifetime.

The time I would save not having to wait through those 15 second ads before I can watch a funny cat video, errrrr I mean important business videos, would be worth it to me.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I don't know if I would want to block ALL of the ads...Because in some way ads help to keep me up to date on whats current... Now those ads that pop up after I go to specific sites- like clothing or shoe sites--- I don't need to see those.

The worst ads are the ones that auto start with AUDIO once you go to the page. MediaTakeout did not have ANY ads when they started out- now you can barely browse their website because you are inundated with a million click and auto start audio ads. I don't even go to that site anymore. The ads will pop up on TOP of the articles. WTF

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I would pay exactly zero. Firefox blocks all pop-up ads, and I am on the internet so frequently that my mind is trained to gravitate only towards content. I hardly notice any advertising, ever. Subliminal advertising doesn't bug me. When everyone was bitching about the ads on this forum, for example, I never noticed them. I will seek out sponsors of sites I am interested in, and buy from them intentionally to support their advertising spending.

But... with Firefox filtering a lot of advertising, my answer is I would pay exactly $0 to further filter anything. Plus, opposing Patrick's point... the internet cycles are measured in days, not years. There's no such thing as a lifetime anything as it pertains to online. Five years from now, this medium will be completely different... likely negating any efforts for any company that builds any business model based on what the internet looks like today.

There is no winning the battle online. As soon as you have it beat, someone will come up with a way to beat your fix and then you have charged people for a service you are literally incapable of delivering.

Zero.

EnemyMind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 23, 2011
Washington DC
That's an expensive firewall that is going to be hell to keep up to date with all the ads changing locations and coming from new servers and IP's

Adblock takes care of nearly all of that stuff for you and is quite easy.

Not to mention your tech support line is going to be insane as the computer savvy will already be using adblock. Running the math on that at 100$ a piece - costs - staff for support, I don't think that's survivable unless you are selling tons of these

You might try getting in touch with the creator of Adblock and seeing if he has any input. But I personally have would not spend any money on this product.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
Does adblock stop even those little banner ads on the side say from Adsource?

Or ads in youtube or yahoo videos? Serious question I don't know the answer and am curious.

Yes, blocks all adsense ads, all popups, video ads on youtube, and everywhere, etc.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I would pay nothing. I barely see ads. They don't distract me from content.

Plus, I have AdBlock for both Firefox and Chrome.

I see Facebook ads, though, since I run them and need to see what others are doing.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Ads don't really bother me, I'm usually pretty focused enough to see what I need to see on the page.

If I'm going on youtube to check out a video the 5-15 seconds of ads doesn't bother me.

But the idea of a blocker is great. Many folks don't have the patience and if you can solve this problem to kill the ads - you're in business. Similar to what Firefox has done but it's free.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I like ads. It's part of the business I'm in at the moment. I also enjoy seeing who's advertising what.

To answer the question, ZERO.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I listen to radio commercials on the way to work rather than music just so I can learn from all of the ads. I realized that we can learn some much about what to do and what not do to just by looking at the ads. I love ads so I wouldn't pay one $.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I like seeing ads. I'm always trying to notice where and how people are advertising, and I try to keep my mind fresh and learn from them. Sometimes I see a really effective (or stupendously non-effective) ad and it is all worth it.

Even seeing annoying ads can help me get a sense of what makes it so annoying (coughyoutubecough).

Plus as we are more and more able to serve relevant ads, sometimes I am actually personally glad to see one. There was an ad on this forum the other day where I was like, "Damn, that's exactly what I've been looking for without even knowing it." When ads can become that relevant everyone benefits.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
the only ads that bother me are the video ads at beginning of video content. 5-10 secs are tolerable. 20-30 sec and I skip the video.

other place ads don't really bother me at all.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I like ads. It's part of the business I'm in at the moment. I also enjoy seeing who's advertising what.

To answer the question, ZERO.

Without Ads, a lot of sites would lose their main source of revenue and would be shut down. Not good for business.

Also, without ads, it would make it that much more difficult to find out about new products. For me, it's important to see all the new products out there for my business. I want to see whats out there.

I listen to radio commercials on the way to work rather than music just so I can learn from all of the ads. I realized that we can learn some much about what to do and what not do to just by looking at the ads. I love ads so I wouldn't pay one $.

This too.

Ohmer

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2009
Florida
I thought of doing something similar years ago, but then asked myself is there a need for such a product. My answer was no, I didn't feel like users of the internet really needed it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Without Ads, a lot of sites would lose their main source of revenue and would be shut down. Not good for business.

Adblock came out years ago. No site that I've known has ever shut down due to AdBlock causing a lack in ad revenue, probably due to the rapid increase in keyword prices.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
How badly will this business fail?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Pretty badly. I would, however, pay $120 for a box that stopped me from ever having to see a commercial again.

Oh wait, they already have that. It's called TiVo.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I would pay $10,000 to develop a product to beat that ad blocker, and then sell that to advertisers ;)

Apologies for double post but speed++

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Ok, this is just a bit of rambling. I think I might have got it wrong lol but was bored and felt compelled to write something up.

If there was ever something better then adblock, the marketing world would really need to adapt to it. You drink coke over pepsi because of advertising. You eat McDonald's over Burger King because of advertising.

Everything that you do in your life revolves around companies that advertise to you. Now there are exceptions to every rule, but for a majority it rings true.

Now, let me give you a small example of something in CPA Affiliate Marketing. I have experience in this field and the logistics of every campaign has to be precise.
Okay, so we have a campaign. We are promoting a company that pays us per lead that we generate.
Most people go by epc to see how profitable they can get. If you generate a $3.55 epc that means for every click you get from a traffic source such as google adwords, it's worth $3.55 to you. Now, if you were making $3.55 per click and only spending $2.50 per click you're in the black.

Let's account for AdBlock Plus now.
15,041,316 Average Daily Users
30% of that is United States users
4,200,874 (30%)
So that is approximentally 1.71% of the United States population that uses the internet which is 245,203,319 people.
Now, let's say you target a demographic that covers 5,000,000 people on facebook.
That narrows it down to 2.66% of the United States population of people using AdBlockPlus with facebook.
133,000 people using adblock plus

Okay. so 2.66% doesn't seem like a lot right? Well, you're automatically taking those 133k people out of the equation. Account for the people that will simply never buy your product. Some businesses thrive on those small margins.

Add in your adblocker that might increase your blockage to more then 10% of users in the USA and things will be vastly different. It drives up ad prices, which either kicks people out of business or drives up prices. It might even affect inflation. That's for another topic.

-this is all purely opinion, if you find anything wrong with this please take it up with my e-lawyer Yuck UFO -

VIP

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 19, 2012
San Diego
I'd pay a monthly service for the complete opposite where the software figures out a way to bypass adblock, and major antivirus, and firewall softwares and show your ads to the visitors. More exposure means more clicks which = more $$$$$.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Adblock came out years ago. No site that I've known has ever shut down due to AdBlock causing a lack in ad revenue, probably due to the rapid increase in keyword prices.

I meant if it was to the point where companies realize that there were so many people using an ad blocker that the was no point for them to waste their money on advertising.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Yes, blocks all adsense ads, all popups, video ads on youtube, and everywhere, etc.

Holy heck that is FANTASTIC!

I don't need to see ads of what other companies are doing. I do my own thing according to what the customer wants and asks for. Often that has nothing to do with what other companies THINK they want and say in those annoying ads.

Any site that has an F-in pop up to subscribe to another email I immediately close that window, can't stand that stuff.

Thanks

brb getting adblock naoooooooooooooo

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012

ok it took less than 3 mins.

It is AMAZING!

The speed to open a new widow is MUCH faster, the page is set up much better. I just tried 2 videos on another computer and the same videos with the Adblock and it WORKED!

SPEED + FOREVER!

I often have 15 windows open as I am following a trail to educate myself on something for business and the damn flashing ads slow things down and will even freeze up my computer.

To do my own little test, yes it is just n=1 (then again for this I really only care about that 1 :) ) I opened 25 windows, no slowing, no freezing it is FLIPPING AMAZING!

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
so adblock can strip out the commercials on front end of videos?

is it a seperate program or one of the plugins/add-ons for firefox? i see about 10 of them listed.

I never thought of the page load speed up aspect. Thanks Patrick.

update: just added adblock plus on to firefox. it does seem to strip out commercials on videos, just tried on nbcnews. very nice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.