The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many of you play video games?

TCMorgan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
526%
Feb 19, 2016
I get some of my best thinking done while gaming. I keep a notebook on hand when I'm playing Rocket League just to jot down quick ideas.

And then Overwatch if I want to not be able to think about anything at all

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
I play cod mobile but recently deleted it because of exams I got going on. My problem is that I tend to fall into a black hole of endless gaming sessions and perpetual guilt whenever I hop on. I end up getting obsessed over the most minute details like whether the skins I use on my guns match up with the characters in my loadouts.

Getting out of that gaming black hole takes a lot of discipline or a FTM.

But I don’t see myself reinstalling the game just because it’s always the same thing: think I can control it, then black hole sucks me in. It’s probably because of some neural pathway that’s been formed by thousands of hours of gaming without consequence.
Same. But for me this mainly happens with online gaming, where I get quickly competitive and obsessed.
So If I really want to game I know I have to avoid online games, especially free to play ( or play to win), and play instead some story based games.
With them I can play in a regulated way and actually enjoy my time, enjoy the story, explore the game

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
I played a lot of Dota 2 since it was introduced to me almost 7 years ago. :) But I never got really good at it, probably due to age and my reflexes are not as heighten anymore so whenever I get to a certain level, I lose a lot. It was nice and enjoyable though.

ds_groundupbiz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 9, 2018
Houston, TX
From time to time I will play some Old School Runescape but lately have not been playing many games.

Just been focused on studying and applying the Fastlane principles. I do hope at some point in my life, perhaps in the next year that I can pick up gaming more seriously.

And possibly go into streaming.

Happy gaming my friends! :smile2:

_firelxrd

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 21, 2022
Same. But for me this mainly happens with online gaming, where I get quickly competitive and obsessed.
So If I really want to game I know I have to avoid online games, especially free to play ( or play to win), and play instead some story based games.
With them I can play in a regulated way and actually enjoy my time, enjoy the story, explore the game
Yeah online games don’t give you a clear sense of accomplishment, in turn leaving you craving for more of that accomplishment/ dopamine.

It’s how they keep players playing. While a story based game gives a clear sense of progression and you won’t usually find yourself gaming for 6 hours at least.

Story based games like the OG assassins creed games also leave a greater mark on me. It just feels like they were made from the heart.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Yeah online games don’t give you a clear sense of accomplishment, in turn leaving you craving for more of that accomplishment/ dopamine.

It’s how they keep players playing. While a story based game gives a clear sense of progression and you won’t usually find yourself gaming for 6 hours at least.

Story based games like the OG assassins creed games also leave a greater mark on me. It just feels like they were made from the heart.
There's a story you can enjoy, you can go at your pace, you can explore different aspects
Much less stressful indeed

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
I grew up playing video games like Halo and Super Smash with my brothers. Now that we're grown and almost all living in different states, video games have been a great way for us to stay connected throughout the years.

Recently, I started playing MW2 a couple of nights a week during my downtime. I find it helps me relax and can give me insights that correlate to my business.

Does anyone here play any MW2? It would be fun to play multiplayer and/or warzone with my fellow Fastlaners.

If you're interested PM me and let's play :smile:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
If so, what games have you been playing lately?

ALSO, I'm acutely aware a lot of people here get weirdly vocal about games and how tHeY jUsT wAsTe tImE and aNy gOoD eNtRePrEnEuR sHoUlD oNlY fOcUs oN wOrK. This thread ain't for you. Please spare me the sigma nonsense.

I only ask because a good friend-turned-client of mine who I met through playing video games together mentioned how great it is to find someone of similar age and interests who also owns their own business so.. we can't be the only two people. And now I'm curious.
Not a game lover. I can play games and appreciate them but never find it addictive.

But recently someone told me that playing real time strategy games could sharpen the mind. There is great overlap between real time strategy game and life in general. I did go back playing a few to sharpen my mind.

Life is 24-7 real time strategy game. Action 1: drink water and vitamin c to boost health. Action 2: Sleep before 12 Action 3 : wake up to do a job you hate to earn cash to fuel your business idea…Life is like a simulated game where you watch variables like health, financial cash flow, liability, business investment/building for potential upside. By the time you realize you are short of something it is a little late due to poor anticipation/planning.

The weak player looks for food when he is short of food to produce the units, and looks for gold when he is short of gold to do the tech upgrade…

evanwilson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 9, 2020
Canada

ALSO, I'm acutely aware a lot of people here get weirdly vocal about games and how tHeY jUsT wAsTe tImE and aNy gOoD eNtRePrEnEuR sHoUlD oNlY fOcUs oN wOrK. This thread ain't for you. Please spare me the sigma nonsense.

I only ask because a good friend-turned-client of mine who I met through playing video games together mentioned how great it is to find someone of similar age and interests who also owns their own business so.. we can't be the only two people. And now I'm curious.
Well, I also found some business owners while playing pubg and valorant. Some of them are content creators. I really like when they provide exposure and casually share their daily experiences. I've learnt some new skills too just because of the direction they provided.

nnogalaxy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
May 23, 2022
trying to finish dark souls 1 at the moment, i do not recommend.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I learned something about video games on one youtube channel recently.

Majority of video gamers are men. Video games feed into men's innate desires.
Men love Competition, Conquest, the fight for Status & Power. Video games provide all that, albeit in an illusionary form.

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
I learned something about video games on one youtube channel recently.

Majority of video gamers are men. Video games feed into men's innate desires.
Men love Competition, Conquest, the fight for Status & Power. Video games provide all that, albeit in an illusionary form.
This sounds familiar. Did you get that from Hamza Ahmed? I agree with a lot of what he says but recently I have a small feeling that he's controlled opp tbh.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
This sounds familiar. Did you get that from Hamza Ahmed? I agree with a lot of what he says but recently I have a small feeling that he's controlled opp tbh.

I hink I got it from the FarFromWeak youtube channel. One of the videos. But that channel could have got it from Hamza Ahmed although I never heard about that name before lol

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I was trying to get back into Starcraft 2 for awhile.

I realized the strategy and cunningness that I love about SC2 is also present in Chess..

so I've been playing lots of Chess lately.

I also love that it's low commitment and fast (I only play blitz)
Immortal game is good. Play chess and earn cryptos.

Arithen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 13, 2021
Canada
Avid gamer here, but, I've sworn myself off them until I manage to build several systems that can fund my ideal lifestyle. So, I haven't been gaming for over a year now.

I too easily fall into a grove where I will become competitive in games and that's caused me distractions in the past. I still absolutely love them and would like to return back to game design as well, but I recognize that my current place in life requires me to focus without distraction. List of games I've played:

Half Life series
Halo series
World of Warcraft
Warhammer strategy games
Aliens vs predator 2 (the one that came out in 2001 was a masterpiece, the 2010 was ok.)
Alien Isolation
Fortnite
Older Pokemon games (on the gameboy and N64)
Super Smash Brothers
Skyrim
Sims series
spore
Age of (series, but preferred mythology)
Civilization series
Tropico
The Forest
Clash of Clans (mobile)
Doom series
Mario (various games)
DonkeyKong
A handful of sports/race games
many indy games (Doki Doki Literary club is brilliant, and if you don't know what that is, images of it will radically confuse you)
Bioshock
Fatal Frame
Dead Space
Ark Survival
Magic The Gathering (just the computer version)
League of Legends

If anyone's played Aliens vs Predator 2, you and I are soulmates

Last edited:

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
I don't usually play games but for the past week I've been playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered for about an hour a day. One of the best games for multiplayer actually, can't believe it's so underrated. The matchmaking is also very practical. It's 4v4 and cross-platform, also ping doesn't really matter that much so despite only around 1,500 concurrent players around the world, you'll still easily find a match.

Anyways I don't feel like playing today, but I felt like I had to give praise to such an underrated game.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Last game that I played "professionally" was World of Warcraft. After about 50+ days played, I deleted my character, converted all my equipment to gold, donated the gold to the guild and never touched it again. Now I will only play games on my phone that take less than 5' to complete. If I sense that playing a game is becoming addictive, I'll delete the game and never touch it again (the last time this happened with Asphalt 7). When I have free time I now hit the gym and I find games a complete waste of time.

Hadrian9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Nov 22, 2022
This will trigger the nerds with skinny wrists, but I find that video games provide a fake sense of achievement, brotherhood, status, and competition without the hardship, confidence, social skills, and respect from women you get from real life sports hobbies and activities.

Maybe I’m biased because I was an addict for so long, but everyone has an innate drive for progress. If you just ‘chill out man and play some call of duty bro’ you’re using up your desire for progress on a fake reality instead of your business.

Why explore the world in a video game when you could work more to earn more money to take a trip to Norway and hike huge snowy mountains and look at a 900 ft waterfall? Why race cars online when you can race cars in real life? Why drive a Ferrari in a game when it’s in real life? Why fly airplanes on a game when you can do it irl? Why improve your fighting skills in a game when you could learn to box? Sure doing adventurous things irl will have a sense of discomfort and bring a chance of dying. But if you’re constantly avoiding the danger that comes with real life, what’s the point of living?

Think of the guy who always had a hobby of video games vs the guy who always had a hobby of outdoor physical and competitive activities. I guarantee you the second guy is better with girls, has better social skills, is more comfortable in his own body, and is better dealing with pain and discipline and rejection. He gets his sense of achievement alongside physical exhaustion and bloody noses, and he’s going to beat the hell out of the video gamer in business.

Another argument is that it’s rest enjoyment and recovery. Garbage. Video games are incredibly stimulating. True rest and recovery comes from being in nature, social connection, and sleep.

If I’m being too serious, why are you not? For every hour you spend gaming away, one of your competitors is doing something to improve themselves and their going to get the client you wanted, the girl you wanted, and the social status you wanted. Literally. They’ll have more energy and time to make more calls, they’ll be outside more and talk to more girls, and will make more friends and have more of an impact on the world.

Sorry for the rant, just despise how much video games castrate people of their manliness and aggression, and you only realize this once you quit. Hope this helps someone.

Patryk.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 21, 2022
Poland
On average:

1. Assetto Corsa - Around 5h/week (my own server, setting up events, teaching the newbies/rookies/intermatiades, learning the drift skills which I can easily transfer to rl, learning english to be more fluent)

2. Civilization 6 - Around 15min/week (only multiplayer with my brother, we play only a turn when we have some free time in the week, only one game lol, learning tactic thinking)

3. Chess - Around 15min/week (actually this is more a 'board game', only with my more wise brother, same as civilization + my brother loves it and I love it because there is no randomness like other games have - if you lose you can't blame anything)

Besides that I refuse to be a nerd like Hadrian said. Free time = calisthenics + being social.

Arithen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 13, 2021
Canada
This will trigger the nerds with skinny wrists, but I find that video games provide a fake sense of achievement, brotherhood, status, and competition without the hardship, confidence, social skills, and respect from women you get from real life sports hobbies and activities.

Maybe I’m biased because I was an addict for so long, but everyone has an innate drive for progress. If you just ‘chill out man and play some call of duty bro’ you’re using up your desire for progress on a fake reality instead of your business.

Why explore the world in a video game when you could work more to earn more money to take a trip to Norway and hike huge snowy mountains and look at a 900 ft waterfall? Why race cars online when you can race cars in real life? Why drive a Ferrari in a game when it’s in real life? Why fly airplanes on a game when you can do it irl? Why improve your fighting skills in a game when you could learn to box? Sure doing adventurous things irl will have a sense of discomfort and bring a chance of dying. But if you’re constantly avoiding the danger that comes with real life, what’s the point of living?

Think of the guy who always had a hobby of video games vs the guy who always had a hobby of outdoor physical and competitive activities. I guarantee you the second guy is better with girls, has better social skills, is more comfortable in his own body, and is better dealing with pain and discipline and rejection. He gets his sense of achievement alongside physical exhaustion and bloody noses, and he’s going to beat the hell out of the video gamer in business.

Another argument is that it’s rest enjoyment and recovery. Garbage. Video games are incredibly stimulating. True rest and recovery comes from being in nature, social connection, and sleep.

If I’m being too serious, why are you not? For every hour you spend gaming away, one of your competitors is doing something to improve themselves and their going to get the client you wanted, the girl you wanted, and the social status you wanted. Literally. They’ll have more energy and time to make more calls, they’ll be outside more and talk to more girls, and will make more friends and have more of an impact on the world.

Sorry for the rant, just despise how much video games castrate people of their manliness and aggression, and you only realize this once you quit. Hope this helps someone.
I think that’s a reasonable view, despite my long list of games a few posts prior.

The way I look at it, however, isn’t that the game experience is a “fake sense of ______”. Why do we experience those sensations in games anyways? It’s entirely neurological feedback. If I get the same, completely identical, feedback from a racing game as I do from a race car, there is no difference in the experience I get.

Personally, I agree with you, that I would rather be racing real cars. I already scuba dive, wreck dive, rock climb, ski, etc etc, and those are infinitely more exciting than the video game versions I’ve played. But I can’t walk around in Skyrim, fight marines as a xenomorph, be a space marine, and it’s unlikely that I can or would ever want to become a radicalized dictator who takes over the world (such as in Sid Meier’s Civilization strategy games).

So, what’s the difference between the things I can do in real life compared to the games if the feedback is the same but I still want the real life version?

I suppose it’s precisely because it’s real that makes it more invigorating. I like swimming with sharks in Costa Rica, but the magic isn’t there in the same experience I could find in a FarCry game. There’s a degree in which that feedback becomes something games can’t (currently) allow you to experience.

However, I recognize that most people have a strong, natural aversion to swimming with sharks, racing a car at high speeds, putting the actual work and desire into running a farm (simulation), or may otherwise be limited in some way (I was rejected from the military twice, despite my strong aptitude and physical test scores because I’m allergic to fish and nuts, but hey, there’s call of duty and modern warfare, and I probably won’t actually die in those).

For those types of people, limitations, or experiences, I 100% support someone’s desire to play games

Ps: I may be a nerd, and I may love video games and business, but my wrists are muscle bound, sir :smile:

Last edited:

todefe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Sep 21, 2022
I used to play competitive games, but now I've switched to games with a more engaging story. I've become a part of meme who buy games but never play them.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
There's nothing "fake" about the amount of work, communication, practice, etc. that goes into performing at the top level. Most people that have an "online persona" are closer to their online friends than they are their own families.

And while the communication may (mostly) be online, despite whatever preconceived notions you probably have, nerds still have to have social skills to adequately communicate effectively with other nerds (AKA: they're still adults and adults generally expect you to act like an adult, not a hermit), especially if they want to accomplish anything in the game.

"Respect from women." Lmfao. All I can say here is no one should be relating their self-esteem/self-worth to the opinion(s) of others. Lastly, in many aspects, competitive gaming is more difficult than most sports (similarly, most sports are more difficult than video games, for different reasons).
Yes, you are. And while I'm sorry you were an addict, shitting on entire communities of people that are just trying to live their lives is pretty f*cked up, but you do you.
Because not everyone cares about the same shit as you do. Not everyone prioritizes what you prioritize.

Because most people are content with their own little slice of life. Should they want more? Maybe, but that's up to them and them alone to decide and pursue.
Sure, if this were 1985 and stereotypes still somewhat accurately determined behavior and outcomes. Henry Cavill (or whatever his name is) was named "King of the Nerds" for a reason. Trust me when I say he's far from being the only one. The stereotype of "fat, lazy, socially awkward nerd" is continuing to die as years pass.
Weird, because nature and social interactions/connections are stimulants to me that I can only handle in small bursts (outside of business).

But on the rare occasion I play a game nowadays, I have no problem focusing on the game itself. The games I still play come second nature. It is genuinely calming, though the additional screen time has negative effects.
These simply aren't factors to people who, once again, don't value the lifestyle you do.

You: "Your competitors are taking your clients!!"
Them: "I'm literally gonna be at this shit job until the day I die or retire. Wtf are you talking about? I don't have clients."

Ultimately you are correct though: if people spent more time completing goals, being productive, etc. they could have whatever life they want, sure. The thing to remember is those people have to make those decisions for themselves, and you shitting on them because they aren't doing what you want is completely counterproductive to your actual goal of getting people to see video games are unhealthy.
Have you done the research on this and have evidence? Because I can personally tell you none of my aggression was "castrated" during my World of Warcraft addiction. In fact, quite often, I'd go slang something, participate in drive-bys, etc. just to get back to the crib and boot up World of Warcraft.

I'd legit be playing WoW while doing lines of coke off of my desk, ready to raid in WoW, or shoot someone the moment I needed to. While I'm happy you're no longer addicted, your entire post feels like projection, tbh. Furthermore, while I fully acknowledge addiction of any/all sort is destructive/unhealthy, video games are one of the few things that are always directly blamed for the user's unhealthy habit, which I've always found fascinating.

Crack? "He has a disease."
Alcoholism? "He has a disease."
Meth? "He has a disease."
Plays video games for more than 30min/day? "I KNEW THOSE VIDEO GAMES WERE MELTING HIS BRAIN, WE NEED TO BAN THEM! OH AND THEY'RE TO BLAME FOR MASS SHOOTINGS AND VIOLENCE, TOO!"

That said, all of this goes back to "what are your intentions?" I can`t help but ask: when you were addicted, did you accomplish anything while playing? Most people that go from having a video game addiction to more or less being "anti-gaming" tend to go that way because they fell short of being competitive.

When I was a semi-pro Street Fighter player, I was addicted. But I was making 4 figures/mo. from tournaments.
When I was a hardcore WoW player, I was addicted. But I was playing with some of the best in the world, and was making some money doing it. The sheer amount of money I made via World of Warcraft account and gold flipping is also disgusting.

I guess my point is, if all someone is doing is playing video games for 10+ hours a day on their days off and their "career" is some dead-end job, then sure, they're probably a "loser." But if someone is playing a video game for 10+ hours a day and making money off of it, and/or have the goal of eventually making money off of it... I mean, at that point, it's a skill/business pursuit like anything else.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
There's nothing "fake" about the amount of work, communication, practice, etc. that goes into performing at the top level. Most people that have an "online persona" are closer to their online friends than they are their own families.

And while the communication may (mostly) be online, despite whatever preconceived notions you probably have, nerds still have to have social skills to adequately communicate effectively with other nerds (AKA: they're still adults and adults generally expect you to act like an adult, not a hermit), especially if they want to accomplish anything in the game.

"Respect from women." Lmfao. All I can say here is no one should be relating their self-esteem/self-worth to the opinion(s) of others. Lastly, in many aspects, competitive gaming is more difficult than most sports (similarly, most sports are more difficult than video games, for different reasons).

Yes, you are. And while I'm sorry you were an addict, shitting on entire communities of people that are just trying to live their lives is pretty f*cked up, but you do you.

Because not everyone cares about the same shit as you do. Not everyone prioritizes what you prioritize.

Because most people are content with their own little slice of life. Should they want more? Maybe, but that's up to them and them alone to decide and pursue.

Sure, if this were 1985 and stereotypes still somewhat accurately determined behavior and outcomes. Henry Cavill (or whatever his name is) was named "King of the Nerds" for a reason. Trust me when I say he's far from being the only one. The stereotype of "fat, lazy, socially awkward nerd" is continuing to die as years pass.

Weird, because nature and social interactions/connections are stimulants to me that I can only handle in small bursts (outside of business).

But on the rare occasion I play a game nowadays, I have no problem focusing on the game itself. The games I still play come second nature. It is genuinely calming, though the additional screen time has negative effects.

These simply aren't factors to people who, once again, don't value the lifestyle you do.

Them: "I'm literally gonna be at this shit job until the day I die or retire. Wtf are you talking about? I don't have clients."

Ultimately you are correct though: if people spent more time completing goals, being productive, etc. they could have whatever life they want, sure. The thing to remember is those people have to make those decisions for themselves, and you shitting on them because they aren't doing what you want is completely counterproductive to your actual goal of getting people to see video games are unhealthy.

Have you done the research on this and have evidence? Because I can personally tell you none of my aggression was "castrated" during my World of Warcraft addiction. In fact, quite often, I'd go slang something, participate in drive-bys, etc. just to get back to the crib and boot up World of Warcraft.

I'd legit be playing WoW while doing lines of coke off of my desk, ready to raid in WoW, or shoot someone the moment I needed to. While I'm happy you're no longer addicted, your entire post feels like projection, tbh. Furthermore, while I fully acknowledge addiction of any/all sort is destructive/unhealthy, video games are one of the few things that are always directly blamed for the user's unhealthy habit, which I've always found fascinating.

Plays video games for more than 30min/day? "I KNEW THOSE VIDEO GAMES WERE MELTING HIS BRAIN, WE NEED TO BAN THEM! OH AND THEY'RE TO BLAME FOR MASS SHOOTINGS AND VIOLENCE, TOO!"

That said, all of this goes back to "what are your intentions?" I can`t help but ask: when you were addicted, did you accomplish anything while playing? Most people that go from having a video game addiction to more or less being "anti-gaming" tend to go that way because they fell short of being competitive.

When I was a semi-pro Street Fighter player, I was addicted. But I was making 4 figures/mo. from tournaments.
When I was a hardcore WoW player, I was addicted. But I was playing with some of the best in the world, and was making some money doing it. The sheer amount of money I made via World of Warcraft account and gold flipping is also disgusting.

I guess my point is, if all someone is doing is playing video games for 10+ hours a day on their days off and their "career" is some dead-end job, then sure, they're probably a "loser." But if someone is playing a video game for 10+ hours a day and making money off of it... I mean, at that point, it's a skill/business pursuit like anything else.

Cheers.
I won't go into a big argument here but just one take

Someone telling people to stop playing games in a context where people interested in archiving more irl, is not the enemy.
He is telling people something they can do to get closer to their goals. Those fiends that then go out and roast these people, who tell others something that gets them ahead, should perhaps take a look inside and think why they react like that.

If you are a gamer, don't want to stop and don't think it's harmful, why go out and argue ?
He is clearly not talking to someone like that.

It's like a marathon runner roasting someone giving advice to bodybuilders because they say something about minimizing long distance cardio.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
I won't go into a big argument here but just one take

Someone telling people to stop playing games in a context where people interested in archiving more irl, is not the enemy.
He is telling people something they can do to get closer to their goals. Those fiends that then go out and roast these people, who tell others something that gets them ahead, should perhaps take a look inside and think why they react like that.

If you are a gamer, don't want to stop and don't think it's harmful, why go out and argue ?
He is clearly not talking to someone like that.

It's like a marathon runner roasting someone giving advice to bodybuilders because they say something about minimizing long distance cardio.
Well, to begin, at no point in time did I treat him like an "enemy." I also won't argue on the internet as how y'all live your lives is entirely on y'all and I'm not invested. I'm simply here to offer counterpoints and different trains of thought.

In regards to the rest of your post, he was trying to make blanket statements and pass them off as fact(s), while simultaneously shitting on entire communities of people. And all of this was based on having been a former video game addict (AKA: having a biased opinion).

Factual evidence and data is one thing. Saying, "mmm games r bad, mmkay?" because the person used to be addicted to them is an entirely different thing. Science has already proven addiction to pretty much anything/everything has drastic side effects, most leading to death. It's interesting to me how there are only a handful of them ever mentioned, video games being one of the biggest.

Yet the direct link between "causing harm" and "video game addiction" really only applies to people that play excessively (e.g. literally 60+ hours/week) for extended periods of time (for most, the effects take 10+ years, outside of genetic conditions, etc.). Y'all act like a man is going to morph into a woman overnight because he doesn't spend 60 hours/week in a gym and plays Call of Duty.

Edit: No, but actually, if I'm being completely serious here, I'm sick of the attitude around here. There are so many people that shit talk random people, communities, etc. for stupid shit like "HAH! Losers don't want to be entrepreneurs!" "HAHA! LOSER DOESN'T LIFT!"

This only drives me insane because, realistically, there are only a few handfuls worth of members that have achieved any type of notable success. So... who are the rest of you/us to judge what other people are doing and how they're living? Lmfao.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Well, to begin, at no point in time did I treat him like an "enemy." I also won't argue on the internet as how y'all live your lives is entirely on y'all and I'm not invested. I'm simply here to offer counterpoints and different trains of thought.

In regards to the rest of your post, he was trying to make blanket statements and pass them off as fact(s), while simultaneously shitting on entire communities of people. And all of this was based on having been a former video game addict (AKA: having a biased opinion).

Factual evidence and data is one thing. Saying, "mmm games r bad, mmkay?" because the person used to be addicted to them is an entirely different thing. Science has already proven addiction to pretty much anything/everything has drastic side effects, most leading to death. It's interesting to me how there are only a handful of them ever mentioned, video games being one of the biggest.

Yet the direct link between "causing harm" and "video game addiction" really only applies to people that play excessively (e.g. literally 60+ hours/week) for extended periods of time (for most, the effects take 10+ years, outside of genetic conditions, etc.). Y'all act like a man is going to morph into a woman overnight because he doesn't spend 60 hours/week in a gym and plays Call of Duty.

Besides, if someone wants to be a useless sack of crap, play video games all day, avoid women/men like the plague, have a trash career, etc... Doesn't that just means you have one less potential competitor? It is a jungle out there, after all. Let people enjoy it from the sidelines if that's what they choose :). More for the rest of us.

Edit: No, but actually, if I'm being completely serious here, I'm sick of the attitude around here. There are so many people that shit talk random people, communities, etc. for stupid shit like "HAH! Losers don't want to be entrepreneurs!" "HAHA! LOSER DOESN'T LIFT!"

This only drives me insane because, realistically, there are only a few handfuls worth of members that have achieved any type of notable success. So... who are the rest of you/us to judge what other people are doing and how they're living? Lmfao.

Cheers.
Agreed.

Calling people loosers is cringe.

ExistingExpert

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 4, 2023
I took a break from gaming in July but started playing again in August. I usually play some Factorio or town of salem 2 but I am trying to reduce this as much as possible so that I have more time to focus on what matters.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Damn, I relapsed. After not touching a game in close to 10 years, I heard about the new Zelda and immediately bought a Switch while I didn't know what it was the day prior (open world Zelda, are you kidding me ?!). I hope I can still be an entrepreneur and play a bit of Zelda. And, maybe, even have a dog, who knows...

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016

I guess my point is, if all someone is doing is playing video games for 10+ hours a day on their days off and their "career" is some dead-end job, then sure, they're probably a "loser." But if someone is playing a video game for 10+ hours a day and making money off of it, and/or have the goal of eventually making money off of it... I mean, at that point, it's a skill/business pursuit like anything else.

Cheers.

You led a f*cked up life dude. I relate to 90% of your story, except I was more of a womanizing narcissist than a gang member. Being challenger in LoL actually helped my confidence and success with girls.

But, I also worked out a lot and was supposedly reminiscent of Marlon Brando at the time, so yeah, being attractive helped.

A few years ago, I was broke and owed some money. I did one final push to get challenger in league again so that I can apply to work in a few boosting companies. I had some virtual friends at the time who were making a decent buck, so that's why I did it. I never really played a normal/unranked game as simply I did not have fun from just playing the game, I had to compete.

Like you, I was #1 in the world with multiple champions and played with/defeated esports players regularly.

Unfortunately, I did not get to work as booster, so I quit forever and went on to do other things as I needed money, fast.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Aug 1, 2022

i just fell out of love with gaming once i realized i saw no genuine benefit in gaming that wouldn't be achieved by better alternatives.
i finished ac odyssey cause i love that game cause i love history
I play chess from time to time but that isnt exactly a "video game"
i re-downloaded shadowfight just now cause i can learn some stuff from it that'll help me [martial arts related]
it's just around 1-2 years ago i just stopped overall gaming completely because i realized i didn't actually want to play valhalla, i wanted to explore interesting places. so i did that irl [no, i didn't go travelling spree round the world. most people wil find their local area is more than enough to entertain them for a LONG time]
i realized i didnt want to hit achievements in fortnite, makevbucks and spend them on cool in-game stuff,, i wanted to accomplish irl, make money and spend it on cool irl stuff
I will play a few games from time to time if someone's over etc but quiting video games in general was quite simple for me
wish I could say the same for social media etc

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.