The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many hours a day do you work?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Recently I've been finding myself over tired, unenthusiastic, feeling a bit blue and overall not too cheerful.

Of course this could be for many reasons.

However, I'm finding my work hours to be a factor worth considering.

I also don't like the fact its effecting the quality of work I'm producing.

I currently only dedicate time to my school work and online business (I don't have a 9-5 job).

So technically you could say I have amazing freedom with my day hours (School is only Monday & Friday).

I generally work from 9am-11pm, taking around a 1:30 hour break in total.

I feel like this is killing me slowly and I may be over doing it.

My question is too successful business owners/entrepreneurs: How many hours a day do you work?

What do you do if you're not working?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
The word "work" can be used to define many different activities and actions but in this context I only consider something to be "work" if I wouldn't normally (or ever) do it and I'm only doing it (this time) for money...like going to a job that I'd rather not go to.

I spend all day (and have done for over a decade) expanding as an Entrepreneur and not one second of it is considered "work" to me. I left "work" back in 2004 so I consider today my 4,064th day "off" and away from work in a row.

The life you describe you're having sounds awesome to me. You're more or less free while building a stronger future on your terms.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Recently I've been finding myself over tired, unenthusiastic, feeling a bit blue and overall not too cheerful.

I currently only dedicate time to my school work and online business (I don't have a 9-5 job).

So technically you could say I have amazing freedom with my day hours (School is only Monday & Friday).

My question is too successful business owners/entrepreneurs: How many hours a day do you work?

How do you re-charge your batteries? Do you go out and hike? Do you go to the clubs?

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
The life you describe you're having sounds awesome to me. You're more or less free while building a stronger future on your terms.

It's pretty awesome for sure. Going to change soon after graduation though.

How do you re-charge your batteries? Do you go out and hike? Do you go to the clubs?

Big point. I'm not essentially recharging at all.

I do go out to clubs but not as often as I used to and sports is minimal during winter Canadian months.

I recently started coding, but hell that makes me have to think a lot.

I'm thinking of walking more around the waterfront area of Toronto.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
It's pretty awesome for sure. Going to change soon after graduation though.

Big point. I'm not essentially recharging at all.

I do go out to clubs but not as often as I used to and sports is minimal during winter Canadian months.

I recently started coding, but hell that makes me have to think a lot.

I'm thinking of walking more around the waterfront area of Toronto.
find the activities that recharge you when you do them....and work them into your schdule

well worth the time invested in the long run

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
There has to be made a distinction between business owner and entrepreneur - not the same thing. And then there's this - define work! Is it running a real estate business, and spending 20 minutes on the phone with my repairman, or is it owning a floor-cleaning business and working in it cleaning floors? Is MJ sitting there, moderating these forums, watching credit card statements come in work?

What's work? If you define it for me, I'll tell you if I work :)

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
The type of work matters a lot. I work 40 hours per week as a base. Then anything after that is only directed towards entrepreneurial effort. Don't know the exact amount of average hours but its definitely less than 40

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
There has to be made a distinction between business owner and entrepreneur - not the same thing. And then there's this - define work! Is it running a real estate business, and spending 20 minutes on the phone with my repairman, or is it owning a floor-cleaning business and working in it cleaning floors? Is MJ sitting there, moderating these forums, watching credit card statements come in work?

What's work? If you define it for me, I'll tell you if I work :)

Completely see where you're coming from.

I'll set my definition to be:

Daily hours devoted to the improvement or positive development of a current business venture.

As you mentioned, calling a repair man. I would class this in the positive development and improvement category (as your fixing your property making your business better).

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
find the activities that recharge you when you do them....and work them into your schdule

well worth the time invested in the long run

Thanks for this tip, I was looking for a solution like this as well. Going to try playing Guitar again.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
Some people are lucky because they consider they're "work" their passion, so they never really feel drained. My definition of work is really me doing anything that can improve my life and others. For instance, I consider exercise as work because it's a part of my health & I cannot run a business the way I want if I'm unhealthy.

Also, One thing I've come to notice is that a lot of people think that just because they're busy that they're being productive. I guarantee that you are not producing your best work when you're stressed or tired. Cut those hours out, when you feel like you're mentally or physically drained and replace it with somethings you extremely enjoy.

It doesn't matter how many hours you work if your creating horrible content in that time. Think quality, not quantity. At the same time, remember not to get lazy.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
It doesn't matter how many hours you work if your creating horrible content in that time. Think quality, not quantity. At the same time, remember not to get lazy.

Like what Gary Vaynerchuk said "You need Quality AND Quantity" ;)

Betuterien

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 3, 2016
Learn time management, it will literally save a lot of time. When you manage your time correctly there will be few things left to conquer.

D

Deleted37035

Try waking up early and working on YOUR fastlane first for 30min to 1hr.Best to subconsciously tell yourself that THAT is more important than the other stuff. If you are more tired at the end of the day, THAT is when you recharge your batteries, i.e. video games, reading etc. Recharging the batteries takes little energy, or effort. No point in trying to recharge your batteries until they are on EMPTY.
Also check out Toggl Timer. Someone on the forum recommended it, don't remember who, but its held me more accountable to my time spent on myself and MY business (writing). Hours aren't as important as what you get done in that time though.

Just my 2 cents.

G

GuestUser450

For years I personally proved Parkinson's Law ("work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion") true. Unspecified time drained me and if I had a full day to do something, I would invent a way for it to take all day.

I'm not saying you're wasting time but you can't be equally productive for all 12 hours. Maybe chunk the the activities that yield the most together, when you have the most energy.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Before the scottsdale summit meeting = 2 to 6

After the scottsdale summit meeting = 8 to 12

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I work so much these days I lose count of the amount of hours. I just know that the first thing that I do when I wake up and the last thing I do before I sleep is work.

To some that may sound great like I have a very good work ethic, but it's actually making me unhinged and taking a toll on my mental health.

But it's totally fine I have a solution. I'm going to clone myself, that way we can divide the workload in have.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I work so much these days I lose count of the amount of hours. I just know that the first thing that I do when I wake up and the last thing I do before I sleep is work.

To some that may sound great like I have a very good work ethic, but it's actually making me unhinged and taking a toll on my mental health.

But it's totally fine I have a solution. I'm going to clone myself, that way we can divide the workload in have.

Consider the powers of delegation

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Try waking up early and working on YOUR fastlane first for 30min to 1hr.Best to subconsciously tell yourself that THAT is more important than the other stuff. If you are more tired at the end of the day, THAT is when you recharge your batteries, i.e. video games, reading etc. Recharging the batteries takes little energy, or effort. No point in trying to recharge your batteries until they are on EMPTY.
Also check out Toggl Timer. Someone on the forum recommended it, don't remember who, but its held me more accountable to my time spent on myself and MY business (writing). Hours aren't as important as what you get done in that time though.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the Toggl Timer recommendation, looking in to it now.

Was getting the same impression on myself.
Luckily this amazing community provides feedback and advice on how you can solve the problem with a beneficial outcome.

There are nice gyms in Toronto, go work out very early in the morning

Then write a to do list and do the most important tasks first

Already ahead of you :) I have a book I write every night listing our my daily tasks (for next day), my achievements of today, 1 new business idea, daily thoughts and future goals with time frames.

It works really well.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Thanks for the Toggl Timer recommendation, looking in to it now.

Was getting the same impression on myself.
Luckily this amazing community provides feedback and advice on how you can solve the problem with a beneficial outcome.

Already ahead of you :) I have a book I write every night listing our my daily tasks (for next day), my achievements of today, 1 new business idea, daily thoughts and future goals with time frames.

It works really well.

Good, I cant do all of that at night.

I also want to separate my work/business with my reading and exercising (habitbuilding) so I do those first before writing my to do list and start working.

Do you like thinking? If u think every evening about ur future goals as you say it might be a way of relaxing. But for some people its the opposite.

Other important ways to increase ur natural dopamine levels so u can work more is to meditate for like 5-10 minutes and another way is to relax. Like really relax, not smoking/drinking or videogames.

If u need fast self control u can breath in and out 3 times in one minute. Its the single fastest way to create more selfcontrol in the short run.

I think its great that u write down what u have done. Good stuff.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.