The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many here are Navy Seals?

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I have known 1 Navy Seal during my time in service. I highly doubt there are any on this forum. There are only a dozen or so seal squads. So their numbers are quite small. They rarely open up to anyone who has never served, and only truly open up to each other. If someone comes out and claims they are a Seal or brags about it, chances are they are not. Seals are more brain then brawn.

Their Motto "The only easy day was yesterday" is only for them. There is no earthly way any of us could begin to comprehend the true meaning of that statement for them.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks, Bilge.

I was trying to think of how to describe what a seal is like, but couldn't find the words.

I've met two-- but did not know them well enough to call them friends.

I have a great deal of respect for the armed services, and a lot of admiration for those in special services.

Your description is spot on, from my limited experience.

-Russ H.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I have known 1 Navy Seal during my time in service. I highly doubt there are any on this forum. There are only a dozen or so seal squads. So there numbers are quite small. They rarely open up to anyone who has never served, and only truly open up to each other. If someone comes out and claims they are a Seal or brags about it, chances are they are not. Seals are more brain then brawn.

Their Motto "The only easy day was yesterday" is only for them. There is no earthly way any of us could begin to comprehend the true meaning of that statement for them.

the only thing I would ad is they have a heightened sense of honor for more than we can comprehend. This is a facter in why the would never brag about their seal status.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

werbl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
May 3, 2008
Racine, WI
Has anyone read "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell? I highly recommend it. The first half of the book goes in depth with Luttrell's account of the SEALs training, and the second half is about a mission gone wrong in Afghanistan.

Check it out here...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Survivor-Eyewitness-Account-Operation/dp/0316067601/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216488780&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10: Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson: Books[/ame]

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
The book "Rogue Warrior" is pretty interesting too. Richard Marcinko tells an interesting story about creating and leading one of the early SEAL teams.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
It's interesting to see the amount of respect and reverence that come out when something about a seal is brought up in a room full of Navy guys.

I've seen the same reaction when a a Special Forces (green beret) talked about some Secret Service guys he knew. Just a sense of awe-- and this was coming from guy who'd seen more than his share of duty.

-Russ H.

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH
My best friend was a SEAL. He still does similar work as an independent contractor. He also is part owner of a MMA business, and has a few other things on the horizon. I have nothing but respect for this man as he has seen things we would not be able to comprehend. He can tell me very little, but what I do hear blows my mind.

The DOD came to interview me a couple of times to discuss my friend's character traits, when he needed certain security clearance for certain contracts. I found it interesting though, as they already knew everything that is humanly possible about him.

Hoop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Dec 8, 2007
Does the Air Force have special ops teams? I know they special technology groups, but do they have a "boots on the ground" outfit?

cheers

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hoop-

Here ya go.

Actually a great article, as wiki goes. The joint special ops stuff is intriguing.

(BTW, I do take gifts of premium fuel as well as rep speed :smxF: )

-Russ H.

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH
Just curious, what does he talk about?

Certain things he has seen and had happen to him during his contracts over in Iraq. He has also been the security, watching over the security at the Olympics...amongst many other interesting things. Other than that he is very vague.....for obvious reasons.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I have a great deal of respect for the armed services, and a lot of admiration for those in special services.

Thanks Russ. Six years in the USAF (although none of it was in spec-ops).

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Has anyone read "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell? I highly recommend it. The first half of the book goes in depth with Luttrell's account of the SEALs training, and the second half is about a mission gone wrong in Afghanistan.

Check it out here...
Amazon.com: Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10: Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson: Books

I've read the book and highly reco it also. It's an excellent story of accomplishment through perseverance, and hard work... a little luck sprinkled in there as well -- But this guys story of what happened to his SEAL team in Afghanistan will just completely blow your socks off. I finished it in 3 nights, and found it an extremely quick read that I could not put down.

- Hakrjak:iagree:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks, Hoop and WheelsRCool!

NoMoneyDown: :tiphat:

Had the pleasure of finally meeting Lance at this year's Fastlane BPGT. He's known as Psyop Ranger on the RD forums, and LegacyDad here. Here's his website:

Legacy Dad: Welcome to Legacy Dad

Great stuff.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thought of this thread when I heard about the details of the pirate standoff.

Details:

-The Navy Seals had parachuted in earlier (landing on the Bainbridge, a boat)
-It was night (dark)
-The Seal snipers were hanging off the side of the Bainbridge,
. which was towing the lifeboat about 75' behind the Bainbridge
-The lifeboat was covered
-There was a small access hole through which two of the pirates were visible
-Another pirate was visible through a window in the boat's pilot house
-The lifeboat was moving up and down (in the water) by several feet
-The Bainbridge was also moving
-The Seals had their heads down (hidden)

Once they were given the order, the Seals raised their heads for a few seconds, and took the shots.

-Only three shots were fired.

-All 3 pirates were dead, shot in the head.

When the press asked the military spokesman to comment on this amazing scenario and marksmanship, he said, "These guys are Seals. This is the kind of stuff they're trained to do."

-Russ H.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Man, could you imagine being that captain -- thinking that you were going to die, and that things couldn't get any worse.... Then boom -- All 3 pirates fall dead around you.... That's got to be a great feeling!

-Hakrjak

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I've had limited contact with S.E.A.L.S. over the years. Everything mentioned so far in this thread is accurate.

I had a friend of mine who wasn't quite a SEAL, but went through most of BUDS school and other training. An injury took him out of action. Even so, he epitomized SEAL values. He went on to become a Sniper for State Law Enforcement. He would do anything for his friends, but there would be hell to pay if you were on his bad side. Those guys don't just train hard, they play hard too. He had some funny stories about his world travels.

I just remembered something from years ago. When I was in college I worked in the school cafeteria. One of the head cooks was a Vietnam era SEAL. One day a large kettle full of boiling water turned over on him and covered his chest. Even though he had 1st and some 2nd degree burns, he shook it off and finished the shift before seeing the doctor.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Hey Hakrjak! It's interesting that you've taken such an interest in the fate of the pirates. Just what kind of flag is that by your name?:bsmeter:

Just curious :fireworks::frocket::float::patriot:

Editorial Note: I was told by a friend of mine that this post came across as extremely hostile towards Hakrjak. My friend failed to see the humor in it. I don't think my comedic attempt is insulting, but just in case, this was meant to be read in good fun. I'm told Hakrjak is a really nice guy, doesn't wear any eye patches, and only yells ARRRRGGG when you accidentally step on his toes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.