The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many action fakes can the fastlane come up with??

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hello Beijing, thanks for the feedback.
I understand your point of view as I also have a day job to pay the bills. I think there's a "lack of follow-through" issue I'm dealing with.
There's nothing wrong with working a solid hour per day, however, I beleive that doing more (productive) hours will make me progress a lot faster.

I think a possible action-fake could be spending time contemplating how to be more efficient. I'm a big fan of simply jumping in with two feet, because over time, from creating real things, you'll naturally learn and adopt more efficient approaches to using your time.

However, if you're doing one of the following, you're (probably) not action-faking:

(1) Creating a prototype to show to your target user group to collect actionable feedback to use for building the next prototype or an actual MVP. (But read Nail It, Then Scale It first on how to collect valuable actionable feedback from potential users about your prototype or MVP first - trust me, reading those book is definitely not an action-fake, provided you don't consider reading it "working.")

(2) Creating an MVP that you'll actually try to sell for real money.

(3) Trying to sell an MVP that is or isn't finished, just to see if there's market demand for what you want to make.

(4) Doing a couple hours of reading / video watching to learn about Facebook marketing campaign strategy IF your MVP is at least 80% finished and you'll soon be ready to attempt to sell it.

(5) Attempting to code a rough, simplified version of a product you've envisioned with the sole purpose of learning computer programming.

(6) Collecting email addresses / phone numbers to cold-contact to try to sell either a finished product or an unfinished product that you have a pre-sales strategy for, assuming that you stop at about 100-200 email addresses or 25-50 phone numbers and actually trying out your intended sales strategy to see if it's potentially worth collecting more email address / phone numbers.

If you're doing one or more of those things with your time, I wouldn't worry too much about efficiency, because that will come with time. I'd focus more on being consistent with an hour a day for a while (for 5 days a week, feel free to give yourself 2 days off) and then trying to bump up than one hour a day to two hours a day. Putting that time in, doing productive things that actually involve developing a product / sale channel for a mostly completed or fully completed product, will lead to efficiencies with time probably more efficiently than trying to brainstorm ways to be more efficient with the limited information you may have at this point in time about how you could be using the time you're investing more efficiently.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sujit1717

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 15, 2022
My Action fakes are:

1) Let me buy this book. Then I will take some action

2) Google Best movies to watch an entrepreneur

3) Let me create a proper plan

4) Let me search any product. Google few hours and then go to sleep

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"I read your 3 books, they changed my life. What book do I read next?"

This tells me my books didn't change your life. They might have planted some seeds in your mind, but they didn't change your life. If they did, you wouldn't be asking the next book to read.

At some point you got to stop reading about how to swim, and jump in the pool.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL

This tells me my books didn't change your life. They might have planted some seeds in your mind, but they didn't change your life. If they did, you wouldn't be asking the next book to read.

I read too much. "Books make you smarter", and who doesn't want to be smarter? So I read the same seven books over and over, presented in the same ways by different authors, and don't get anything done because reading books is easier than doing something.

Anyway. Sorry MJ, but I'm not gonna read Rat Race, because I've done Fastlane and Unscripted already and I need to get stuff done instead of reading more books.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Me in 2022: *Reads books just because, instead of taking any action*

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The best way to end up reading another book, is to be taking meaningful action and discover something that you know nothing about and need to gain some essential knowledge quickly, in order to continue to move forward. For example, if you're writing sales-copy for the first time, it's probably a good idea to do a little research first. Reading another book, in some cases, might be the most efficient way to give yourself a basic primer on a new area of information.

Most of the time, though, a book is not even necessary. Usually a half-an-hour on Wikipedia and a few other websites is going to be all that is really needed.

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I don't know what my product will be or what industry my business is going to be focused on.

The next task on my to-do list is to come up with a trendy company name and make my website so that potential customers can learn all about us.

Highticket

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 15, 2023
Need a better logo

None of the billion web templates are close enough to what I need

Need a video presentation about a product you can explain in a short paragraph

So many excuses to push things off, from personal and other peoples experience

Belesarius

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 19, 2022
I will start after my exams

After Christmas: Nobody is working in the days leading up to New Years anyways, so I am just going to take some time off

I have to clean my place up nobody can work in this kind of environment (when I was playing video Games until 4 in the morning this wasn´t a problem)

I think I have to reread X book

I have to reorganize the files on my computer first

I don´t have enough time because of uni/work (proceeds to go to the gym for 2,5 hours and go to the sauna after that)

After finding another Idea Imagining my awesome life after I take action on it, without doing the actual calculations to see if it is actually going to work

"I need to catch up with x familiy member, haven´t seen him in a while" - proceeds to talk about shit that doesn´t matter, like politics and leaving more discouraged about my future.

"What if I invest the following months in this business Idea and it will fail, I will have wasted so much time and money" - proceeds to do absolutely nothing and loosing the time anyways, because no Action was taken

"Can´t miss this important football game" - forgets the final score one week later

"I will just listen to one more podcast, listen to another motivational song, watch another motivational movie, read another business book, instead of starring at a wall and listening to my own thoughts — way to uncomfortable

Easy to spot action fakes - You know right away if something is an action fake or not

Hard to spot action fakes - Action fakes that look like something good to outsiders (take care of your health, family etc. And can even feel extremely uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as the thing you are running away from

Writing all those things down and not researching for my business.

MartinG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 22, 2015
Watching YouTube videos is the main one for me, information overload is my biggest sticking point

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
Action faking sounds like any action that isn’t related or immediately helpful.

If the Process is like the main quest of Skyrim, then you’ve got side quests. Side quests distract from the main, and don’t really advance your story. You’re trying to avoid the main quest because of some reason idfk.

You’ve also got the actions that aren’t immediately helpful. Skipping steps, basically. “Oh, I need to sell products. I need to hire a professional photographer in a professional studio because I need professional photos”, “I need to rent an office cubicle in some area and base myself there before I even have clients”, “Oh, I need to set up xyz so my effort for the next step isn’t wasted”. Do the next step, and do it simple so you don’t procrastinate.
If this were Skyrim again, you’re looking for the horn of Jurgen Windcaller before climbing the mountain to see the greybeards. It works because it’s a video game, everything is simplified, and you know what to do before it happens. It ain’t advancing the plot tho.

Why do I get the feeling that I’m action faking somewhere?

Dingy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Apr 12, 2023
Reading. It's important for learning, but just start, please.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have to clean my house so my mind isn't cluttered, then I will be able to focus.

Interesting, this actually works or me.

The cleaner my workspace is, the more productive/clear thinking I am.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Patent, trademark, copyright... On things that are not patentable, slogans or names not worth trademarking, and/or ideas not worth (or that don't need to be) copyrighted (often because they already have default copyright protection in your country).

Just get a customer.

MrE

Be. Create. Repeat.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 26, 2021
Colorado
Interesting, this actually works or me.

The cleaner my workspace is, the more productive/clear thinking I am.
I, also, am more efficient and productive with a clean and uncluttered workspace. It's when I start doing things like cleaning out closets, reorganizing the utility (junk) drawer, and polishing the silverware that I realize I am avoiding taking real action. Especially when I just did all those things last month!
I have to step back and ask myself, 'what am I avoiding?'

YouCanDoThis

Start with Empathy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 2, 2021
Europe
I, also, am more efficient and productive with a clean and uncluttered workspace. It's when I start doing things like cleaning out closets, reorganizing the utility (junk) drawer, and polishing the silverware that I realize I am avoiding taking real action. Especially when I just did all those things last month!
I have to step back and ask myself, 'what am I avoiding?'
Feel the same way about code. Up to an extent cleaned-up code is easier to reason about and helps progress, but there isn’t really an end to it and at some point it’s just diminishing returns and action-faking on my end.

GoldFibre

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2023
Feel the same way about code. Up to an extent cleaned-up code is easier to reason about and helps progress, but there isn’t really an end to it and at some point it’s just diminishing returns and action-faking on my end.
Yes - spending time refactoring code that already works well as a defense against working on something that will add immediate value. I was thinking about doing this today, but your post reminded me that it would be value-destroying.

If you are coding by yourself this is always a bad trade. If you work in a large team then you need to put a much heavier emphasis on code readability and reusability.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.